PDA

View Full Version : New to me bullet puller!

poppy42
09-03-2022, 12:47 AM
Boy did I pick up a new tool The other day. I had a bunch of 38 specials to Pull ( long story don’t ask). Buddy told me to check out the Hornady camlock bullet puller. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube looked interesting so I figured I’d try it out. Now I’ve used a few different pullers, including fosters, herters, Frankford arsenal inertia puller, and a few others. They all work but we’re a little time consuming and honestly I’ve never quite gotten a bullet pulled without leaving marks on it. Well let me tell ya This Hornaday puller is the cats meow! Once you get it set up it’s just a matter of lifting a lever, the pulled bullet drops out, you put another cartridge in the shell holder and do it all over again. It’s quick, easy to use, and every bullet I pulled had no sign of being a pulled bullet no marks whatsoever. I must say I’ve never been overly thrilled with Hornady equipment. I guess it’s the old Ford versus Chevy thing. But They sure nailed it with this bullet puller!

Hick
09-03-2022, 01:45 AM
My bullet puller is a spark plug wrench socket. Put the cartridge in a shell holder, then slide the thing into the socket, and slam is down on a paper bowl on a concrete floor. The shell holder keeps the cartridge from sliding into the wrench socket, and the bullet and powder are in the bowl. Works every time.

GregLaROCHE
09-03-2022, 04:53 AM
I haven’t tried that one, but whenever I pulled boolits I didn’t usually count on reusing them.

Land Owner
09-03-2022, 06:13 AM
On one hand, cast boolits - pull 'em, drop 'em in the pot, flux & stir, pour 'em in a mold, and they're new again. Voila!

On the other hand, jacketed bullets - before casting, I recaptured and bought, reloaded, and shot 1,000's of pulled jacketed handgun and rifle bullets, as blamo-ammo (mostly), over a limited range from 7 to 25 yards (handgun) and 100 to 200 yards, from hand held, semi-autos while target plinking (mostly), including "scratching the itch" over a rock steady bench rest, some bullets with "considerable defect" to copper jacket ogive (think wire crimper diagonal grooves) and HAVE HAD FUN while experiencing no noticeable effect in trajectory...ymmv.

I would have no hesitation reloading pulled jacketed bullets for personal defense ammo in a belly gun or "close aboard" and plinking with rifles. I am in competition with no one, and I neither shoot pulled rifle bullets at game nor compare them to the serious application of Factory Seconds or New Factory jacketed bullet reloads.

jetinteriorguy
09-03-2022, 06:21 AM
I’ve pulled and reused many many copper plated and Hitec treated bullets in handguns using my Hornady cam lock with no ill effects. Same with jacketed rifle bullets. The trick is just set it up with enough tension to pull them without squeezing them to death.

wilecoyote
09-03-2022, 07:13 AM
My bullet puller is a spark plug wrench socket. Put the cartridge in a shell holder, then slide the thing into the socket, and slam is down on a paper bowl on a concrete floor. The shell holder keeps the cartridge from sliding into the wrench socket, and the bullet and powder are in the bowl. Works every time.

ingenuity first, and really a brilliant thought...
I wish someone had taught me this in my beginning days !

mdi
09-03-2022, 11:51 AM
How does your new puller work on cast bullets? When I tried one similar tp yours It wouldn't grip the bullet tight enough to consistently pull most...

poppy42
09-03-2022, 12:16 PM
How does your new puller work on cast bullets? When I tried one similar tp yours It wouldn't grip the bullet tight enough to consistently pull most...
I’ve never use the bullet puller on Cast Boolets I pull them with a pair a diagonal cutters and just re-melt them

GregLaROCHE
09-06-2022, 02:47 AM
One advantage of a taper crimp, is that boolits are a lot easier to pull.

Finster101
09-06-2022, 06:50 AM
I just got one of the Hornady cam locks in the S&S section here. Used it yesterday to pull down about a hundred .300 Blackout out subs I had with a bullet that did not feed reliably. I have a better profile mold now so thought I would put the primers and powder to better use with them. The puller was very easy to use and much quicker than an inertia puller. It was also very easy to set up. I will still use the inertia one for doing just a few, but if I have very many the cam lock will get the job.

pworley1
09-06-2022, 07:01 AM
The camlock is a great puller.