PDA

View Full Version : Good AR Day at the Range

Mal Paso
09-02-2022, 10:31 PM
The range I shoot the most takes your drivers license at check in and puts it in the slot for the bench/lane you are assigned and you get it back at checkout. In 15 years I never had a problem until last month. I got called to the office. I never get called to the office. It seems they gave my license to someone else but they had someone going to get it and here is a Gift Card for Range Time for your trouble.

The range has been closed for 3 weeks. This was the first day it was open and the Last Day of Free Range Time so I wanted to make the most of it. I brought 2 uppers and the chronograph. The 223 Wylde is a Radical Firearms heavy stainless barreled upper with M-Lok handguard on sale for $200 with an $80 Andersen BCG and $12 charging handle topped with a $160 Primary Arms 1X-20 prism. I had rough sighted it but from 50 yards it looked like I tagged all 4 corners of the target. Accurate enough to chronograph though so I set that up. The 55g FMJBTs were going 2700 fps but the 350 Legend was what I wanted most and switched to that. The 200g RCBS clone ran 1980 fps with an SD of 10 over 23g of 11FS and a mag primer, slightly faster than book and the groups were tighter than last trip. The Hornady 170SP ran slower than book (2300) at 2211 and the 2400 loads under the 200g RCBS ran 1850 fps.

So work done I walked out to the target and upper left side in the cardboard above the target is a perfect MOA group of 22 cal holes and I was ready to look for a new barrel. I walked the group down and once I got close I shot a 2nd mag to see how it grouped. I'm very happy with the upper and the sight. I can't use Red Dots with my eyes. I was surprised how accurate I could be with the 1X PA illuminated prism compared to My shooting with a Red Dot.

I finished off all the 350L ammo and packed up, a very good day! I checked out, the rangemaster punched my gift card and said Last One and gave my license back. I was putting all the stuff in the truck and thought I really should look. Nope, it wasn't my face on the license. Rangemaster didn't say a word, just handed me a gift card and I got to hang out and look at everyone else's guns while I waited for my license.

P Flados
09-02-2022, 11:46 PM
3 for 3 :p

imashooter2
09-03-2022, 03:30 AM
You would think checking the picture when you take the license and when you hand it back would be day one training.

Other than that, congratulations on a good day shooting.

pacomdiver
09-03-2022, 07:38 AM
i know its commiefornia but maybe they should employ some actual qualified rangemasters with a functioning brain instead of a gender studies major that also works part time at a starbucks

Shiloh
09-03-2022, 09:27 AM
Nice shooting.
They really gave your license to someone else??

Shiloh

Mal Paso
09-03-2022, 09:59 AM
Nice shooting.
They really gave your license to someone else??

Shiloh

Yep!

They know my name without looking, I built the range safety lights. Still that's quite a process to get me some range time.

The rangemaster might be 25 years old, is honest and has a good work ethic. It might be a Freudian slip. We had a much more experience ex-marine who was awesome but couldn't get along with the County. They are happier with someone they can control but he is a good kid!

jetinteriorguy
09-05-2022, 07:18 AM
Hmmm, I’ve shot at a lot of ranges in my life but never heard of such a system. Seems like a goofy way to do things. As absent minded as I am I’d probably leave and forget my license and not even notice it for so long I’d have no clue where the heck it is. LOL.

Wag
09-05-2022, 08:30 AM
That's really odd. The system itself is problematic. Why can' you have your license with you while you're on the range? Leaving your license out of your sight is a great way for people to steal your identity. And, of course, if they hand it to someone else and THEY take it off site, that person could steal your identity too.

Taking and holding your license is bad policy.

--Wag--

Handloader109
09-08-2022, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I'll not give my DL to anyone other than to look at and give back. Ignorant system as you have found out. Zero reason for it. If they want to sign you in, then sign you in.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk