PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed.

waksupi
09-01-2022, 10:48 AM
I recently got another computer to replace my 10+ year old dinosaur.
I had Windows removed, and Linux installed.
Not working worth a darn, lots of glitches.
Can anyone recommend a good operating system to try?

justindad
09-01-2022, 11:48 AM
Try Linux Mint. If that’s what failed you… I don’t know. There’s many different versions of Linux, and they generally require more than typical computer knowledge.

andrew375
09-01-2022, 12:29 PM
Ubuntu is probably the most developed distro. Do a search using your machine description and distro as search terms.

FredBuddy
09-01-2022, 12:35 PM
I use Linux Mint. Similar to windows, not much
learning curve. Had it professionally installed
for a number of reasons - no problems.

Scrounge
09-01-2022, 01:17 PM
I recently got another computer to replace my 10+ year old dinosaur.
I had Windows removed, and Linux installed.
Not working worth a darn, lots of glitches.
Can anyone recommend a good operating system to try?

Depends a lot on what hardware is in your machine. The best drivers for the most powerful video cards are only available from a 3rd Party for Linux machines. Getting those installed depends on who's doing the installation. Last I looked, you have to select and give permission to download 3rd party drivers during the OS setup. If you want easiest to install by a complete beginner, Windows is still the "best system." Aside from a few little glitches like constantly calling home to mother and ratting you out for whatever you do. ;) Linux Mint and Ubuntu are probably the best OS's for Linux newbies. Like me. ;) They're relatively easy to install, but you do have to have them do the 3rd Party driver installs. If you've got an Intel integrated video system, you should be OK, but if you need/have either AMD, ATI, or NVidia graphics cards, or any fancy drive interfaces, RAID controllers, etc, you will probably need to install the correct drivers from the manufacturer. If you had it done, they should have taken care of such things. If they didn't, you probably don't want them working on your computer at all.

waksupi
09-01-2022, 03:52 PM
My old machine has Linux Mint, and I'm pretty sure that is the one installed on the new one.

Biggest problem, I can be typing, and the text will jump to another line, or not show at all. Makes it hard to communicate.

Wag
09-02-2022, 08:15 AM
Another vote for Ubuntu.

--Wag--

farmerjim
09-02-2022, 08:27 AM
I have both ubuntu and mint. I like them both.
Try reinstalling.If you know how install all 3 so that you can boot into windows, ubuntu, or mint at startup. Or get an IT friend or shop to do it.

Wag
09-02-2022, 08:41 AM
I have both ubuntu and mint. I like them both.
Try reinstalling.If you know how install all 3 so that you can boot into windows, ubuntu, or mint at startup. Or get an IT friend or shop to do it.

This works well too. However, a lot of the newer computers have the BIOS integrated with Windows so it gets a little tricky.

--Wag--

waksupi
09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
I did a search, and found some solutions to the problems. I reduced sensitivity on the touch pad, did some pointer modifications, and things are working much better.
Thank for the help!