PDA

View Full Version : New Pedersoli Sharps

Dave B
01-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Well, I finally did it. Got a Pedersoli Heavy Target in 45-70. It was a hard choice between that and a Std Sporting model. Since the std model that I ordered in 45-70 came in as a 45-90, That made the choice easier. I'm not too impressed with the rear sight adjustment,but since I haven't shot it yet I'll wait and see. Any suggestions on the care and feeding of this thing are more than welcome. I will be using smokeless as I already have some 5744 along with a Ranch Dog 350 mold. What loads and bullets should I look at ? Also what front sight insert for the front globe do you guys like?http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/dbeeson3/DSC00978.jpg

e15cap
01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
They were made for black. 62gr Swiss, .060 wad, 540gr Paul Jones creedmore.
Roger

Boz330
01-29-2009, 10:15 AM
As far as sights it depends on what you are going to do with it. For target and silly wets I use an aperature, for hunting, a crosshair. You should be able to find something in any reloading manual for smokeless, but BP is way more fun.

Bob

Don McDowell
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
That thingwill work better with black.
68 grs Goex Cartridge, a .030 fiber wad, and a 535 gr postell sized .459 or better yet .460. You can order the bp from Grafs, and the fiber wad and the postell bullets lubed and ready to go from www.sageoutfitters.com

Smokeless loads go buy a Lyman 49th manual there's plenty enough info in there to keep you busy for a while.

dubber123
01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
28 grs. H-4198, and the Lyman 535 Postell should make you happy. Clean up = push an oily
patch down the bore, wipe off the outside. :)

montana_charlie
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
There are a number of bullets that are 'friendly' to most rifles. They include the Postell (from the mould maker of your choice) and the Paul Jones Creedmoor (available from a couple of sources besides Paul Jones).

If you order (say) a Postell mould from Lyman...they have several cherries used to cut that design, and there are slight variances among them. You would just have to hope the one you receive is the 'best fit' for your rifle.

If you order the same design from a custom maker, he will 'adjust' the dimensions of that 'standard design' to fit your gun. That doesn't exactly guarantee your rifle will love the Postell, but it will shoot 'that Postell' better than other Postells (or Creedmoors...or whatever design you are working with).

Whatever design you choose to try first, it would be helpful if the first try had a high probability of acceptance by your rifle. One thing that can help to ensure that is a bullet design developed specifically for the (somewhat unique) Pedersoli chamber dimensions...and it does exist.

The design is in the public domain, which means any mould maker can cut it without infringing on anything. He can even use the design's 'official name', "Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk" (or PGT) bullet.

So, while anybody can cut it, the only mould maker currently stocking the design is Paul Jones.
It is his #45021, and you can see it here...
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliberpage2.htm

If you prefer to have your favorite machinist cut a mould for you, here's the diagram...
http://bpcr.net/site_graphics-apps/Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk_bullet.JPG

CM

Gunlaker
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
The Postell bullets in WW brass over 36gr to 39gr of IMR 3031 work well in mine. That puts them pretty close to original BP speeds.

Chris.

Andrew Quigley
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Still working on loads for mine but I like 5744 as well. I used 405, 500 and 535 Postell bullets myself with good results from each. A trick a friend taught me is to use a quater to a half of a cotton ball over the powder. Shoots a lot cleaner and hasn't hurt the barrel at all. MAKE sure it's cotton balls and nothing syntheic.
The friend that told me about this has years of long range shooting under his belt.

NickSS
01-31-2009, 04:40 AM
Try 30 gr of 5744 with your bullet. I use 29 gr with a 300 gr bullet and it works great for up to 200 yard plinking. But do your self a favor and go to BP as that is where the fun is. I fired off 50 rounds this past thursday and made a lot of smoke and hit about 3/4 of the reduced size silhouettes at 200 yards that I shot at. Gangs of fun watching that steel fall.