PDA

View Full Version : New 686 for cast?

hylander
08-30-2022, 11:07 PM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 6" 686, yes the one with the lock hole. Lock does not bother me at all.
Anyone here own a newish model and how does it do with cast.
Accuracy, leading?
How about cylinder gap?
Thanks

megasupermagnum
08-30-2022, 11:17 PM
Anytime I buy a revolver now I won't go without feeler gauges. I always check barrel to cylinder gap, as well as endshake now. Also specifically for the new S&W, I'd run a snug cleaning patch down the barrel. The new barrels can be horrible sometimes, and sometimes they are good. There's more I'd like to do, but that gets into being a tire kicker. Checking the cylinder and barrel is something you should do though. I've seen enough new and used guns that were bad to say it is worth it every time.

If you get a good 686, I've always heard they shoot good.

M-Tecs
08-30-2022, 11:26 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132103-Which-Bullet-Design-for-S-amp-W-686

Some have issues with cast and the ECM barrels. Others including myself have had good results with the ECM barrels and cast.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?443934-Keylock-era-Smith-amp-Wesson-revolvers&p=5420122#post5420122

hylander
08-30-2022, 11:44 PM
I won't be able to check specs as I will be buying off GB. I have not seen a new 686 in my area in over a year.
So if any issues I hope Smith will take care of it.

megasupermagnum
08-31-2022, 12:17 AM
I won't be able to check specs as I will be buying off GB. I have not seen a new 686 in my area in over a year.
So if any issues I hope Smith will take care of it.

It is possible to reject it before you do the NICS check. It can be a pain since you then have to send it back, and go through that whole mess with the GB dealer. That's really the best way though. S&W is the worst out there when it comes to accuracy problems. If it goes bang safely, they won't do anything for you.

Buckshot
08-31-2022, 01:37 AM
............I have a 586 I've had for 4-5 years. No issue with cast lead at all. Since it's not stainless maybe they didn't have problems, or I just lucked into a good one.

.......Buckshot.

hylander
08-31-2022, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the input :smile:
I just ordered a new one off GB today, already shipped and will be here Friday :guntootsmiley:
I think I got a very fair deal.