PDA

View Full Version : Help! Gas check bullets

snaggdit
01-29-2009, 12:37 AM
OK, I just cast my first gas check boolits. Trying to load Pb for my SKS. The boolits came out .3117 in diameter. Seems fine.

My questions are these:
When do I lube them? Before I run them through the .311 sizer to attach the gas checks or after?
Next question:
I would also like to use these boolits in my 30-06. I have the .308 sizer as well. Do I need to size them to .308 before adding the gas checks then run them through again to seat the checks?
Last question:
If I lube them before, do I need to lube them again after sizing?

Thanks for any help. I am really trying to get into this full on. I have been casting for my pistols with great success for the last few months. Now I want to start into my rifles. :???:

docone31
01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
You lube them first, then set the check and push it through the die. The sizing locks on the check.
I wonder if .311 might work with the .30s. I have tried castings in .309 in my .30s and the best I got was 20min of berm!
With them I went with paper patching. I size the paper patches to .309.
I use my 312/185R mold for both my .303 British, and my .30s. I also have a .30cal mold which works just as well patched in my .30s.
You might just get away with .311 in your .30s. Try to load one in the case, and chamber it. If it fits, I would then try it.
Bigger is definately better.
Lube first, put the check on, then size. The sizing die will pack the lube into the grooves, seat the check, and wipe the excess lube from the casting.
When I load my cases with lube and cast loads, I wipe the base on a towel I keep on my lap for that.

snaggdit
01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the help. I am using a Lee 155 2R mold. Hoping I get decent results with both guns from it. Would be easier to cast just one size for both...

docone31
01-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I tried that.
Phooey.
I went to the Lee C309-180R for my .30s. Much, much better for them.
I size that to .308, two wraps of notebook paper, sized then to .309. No gas check. I use full tilt loads.
I get better performance with that casting than I do with jacketed loads. Hands down. I am talking my Palma. I get better groups.
I tried that 155 grainer. Lousey in my .30s. To even get it to work, I had to cast through a 1/4-20 nut, let it freeze, cool, and then lightly smear Clover on it. I had to turn the castings in the cavities to eliminate the wrinkles.
Should be ok in your SKS, it is worthless in my SMLE #1MKIII, and .30s un patched. I haven't tried it patched yet. Haveing too much fun heavy.

snaggdit
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Hmmm. Well, it seemed like a good plan. I will just have to see how it goes. The 155 is a little heavier than I am used to in the SKS, but I got lucky and got one that is actually pretty accurate, so I have my fingers crossed on the 155 2R. As for the .30, with jacketed it is tight. I guess I will have to see how it works. You recommend trying to chamber a round as is at .3117 huh? Leave it way out and see how much the rifling scores it? I have .308 and .311 Lee sizer dies. Sounds like I might want to look at a .309 sizer. Sorry for the delay in this interchange. As long as the pot is hot, I am casting some .401 and .356 in the garage and popping back in to check the forum. :-)

Bloodman14
01-29-2009, 07:25 AM
I just can't understand why someone would take a perfectly good boolit, size it down, wrap paper around it making it bigger, and then size it back down. Snaggdit, you will need to find the combo that your guns like; this is not an exact science. If your SKS likes 155's at .311, run'em. .309? Ditto. Usually, no 2 guns like the same boolit. Any questions? I'm here.

gunnerd

Lead Forever!

docone31
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I will tell you why I paper patch.
I am totally unable to get anything but wasted ammo with plain casting. Pistols, that is one thing, rifles, I waste lead.
When I got into paper patching, that changed everything. I routinely outperform jacketed loads with the same powder charge.
I am a bolt gunner. My only semi is a Ruger 10/22 that I made into a target rifle. I have no clue how my paper patched loads will do in a semi. I do know, with my bolt guns, they are very accurate.
I have gotten extended case life, clean bores, and clean holes at 100yds, no key holes, no leading. As finances allow, I want to patch my 25-06. I have heard good things about that also. Also, the differences in groove diameters can be taken up with paper. I can use one mold for a variety of rifles. Only the sizing changes. No gas checks, no lube.
The only equipment I have had to add aside from ordinary casting is a cigarette roller. I already had the scissors.
After dinner, I sit, relax, wet a patch, roll it on, do another, let them dry, size to firing diameter, load, and off to the range.
I get a lot of satisfaction from doing that. I use standard jacketed load information for my patched loads also. No filler, no guessing.
I have found, paper needs to be pushed. Light loads are too light. I get carbon fouling on the necks, it just doesn't feel right in the rifle. I use starting load data and pretty much stay there.