PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Winger's broken leg & wrist is stressing me out.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 01:01 PM
We're almost four weeks into this injury, and the Doc. figures she'll be able
to get out of the wheel chair and use a walker in a month or so.
But that's no big deal. We're doing OK with all that.

A day or two ago, she put a lot of stress on me.
She said since I was helping out so much, and doing so well with everything,
I needed to reward myself and buy another gun.

Is that too cool, or what?:bigsmyl2:

I don't know what to do.
Should I buy back the Les Baer Premier My buddy & I have sold back & forth over the years?
Or buy this hot rod Rem 700 Police SWAT Team model in .308 he's been trying to sell me for 10 years?
Or hold out for a Sharp's .50-120?

Each has its own merits, but I don't know which one I want the most.

elmacgyver0
08-29-2022, 01:05 PM
You should be extra nice to Mrs. Winger and buy all of them.

Gewehr-Guy
08-29-2022, 01:22 PM
Instead of the 50-120, get a nice Sharps 45-70 that she can shoot also, for therapy:D

deltaenterprizes
08-29-2022, 01:38 PM
Buy the one that you can get ammo for, unless you want a safe queen!

Scrounge
08-29-2022, 01:48 PM

I think you've got it! ;)

MUSTANG
08-29-2022, 01:51 PM
Winger Ed - My wife broke her leg just below the knee cap on 2nd July this year - so I know your challenges. She migrated from a wheel chair for most of the day a week ago today. She threw the leg brace into the corner Saturday and said she had enough of that (Dr. Said this coming Saturday was the day to abandon the brace. She is rapidly cruising through the house using the walker as we speak. I figure she will tell me to put it in storage in another 10 to 15 days.

Back to the important question of what to buy - The Rem 700 sounds interesting; but I am not a fan of the shorter barrels. I would go for the Sharp's .50-120 given your choice range.

Best wishes on your wife's full recovery and the new firearm.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 02:45 PM

What a great idea.

It might be worth putting the toilet seat back down and even closing the lid for that.

beemer
08-29-2022, 02:54 PM
Buy something that makes you grin like a mule eat'n briars. If you are like me you past practical a long time ago.

Nice to have a partner to help you through the rough patches. Best wishes to Mrs. Winger,

popper
08-29-2022, 03:01 PM
What ever gun you want, just don't trade her off.

buckwheatpaul
08-29-2022, 03:16 PM
I am glad your wife is doing so well....sounds like she is a true gem....buy a cheaper one and spend the balance on her and hit a real home run!

GL49
08-29-2022, 04:04 PM
Instead of the 50-120, get a nice Sharps 45-70 that she can shoot also, for therapy:D

There's your answer.

If Mrs. Winger doesn't like mouse guns, hold out for the 50-120.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 04:07 PM
If Mrs. Winger doesn't like mouse guns, hold out for the 50-120.

She did OK with the .50BMG, but it had a muzzle brake about the size of a shoe box.

Thumbcocker
08-30-2022, 08:43 AM

Absolutely! It is a matter of her happiness after all.

Bmi48219
08-30-2022, 11:56 AM
Ed, you may want to think this through. You’re obviously a compassionate and caring spouse. Those kind of traits can cloud your perception. It also sounds like you’re not in dire need of another toy.
Were I in your shoes I would respond by saying something like: ‘darling, you are the love of my life and I certainly don’t want any reward for being as supportive of you as I know you are of me…’
This may seem short-sighted but, first, you don’t need another toy, second, what if you break your leg next winter?
While I’m sure you’re devoted to Mrs. Winger, do you really want to establish a tradition of reciprocal rewards for acts of matrimonial support? If so you better hope the little woman has no desire to own a Lamborghini.
Just kidding!

ebb
08-30-2022, 07:02 PM
Now might be the time to get all three, with her limited mobility you could be hard to catch.

pworley1
08-30-2022, 07:24 PM
It sounds like you have a great wife. You are already a winner which ever gun you chose.

Winger Ed.
08-30-2022, 08:21 PM
better hope the little woman has no desire to own a Lamborghini.
Just kidding!

I couldn't do much better on that either.
In 2002, she got a lease turn in 2002 basic model Explorer with 20,000 miles on it.
Just this year, she made some rumblings about getting a new car.

It runs fine, I think she's just tired of looking at it.:bigsmyl2:

45workhorse
08-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Let her drive you to the gun store in her NEW (to her) vehicle and you pick out the gun you want!!!! You both win!

Wag
08-31-2022, 07:21 AM
What I'm reading here is that you were there for her during the time that she needed you.

You're a hero, Ed. And always will be. I suspect you take FAR more satisfaction in knowing that than you ever will buying any gun.

--Wag--

WRideout
08-31-2022, 07:33 AM
Glad your wife is doing better. Sounds like you two are a perfect match.

Just before Betsy and I got married, I moved my stuff into her house including a collection of firearms, and several cans of smokeless gunpowder. She took it all in stride. That should be one of the things they talk about in pre-marital counseling i.e. "How do you handle it if one of you has more guns than the other?"

Wayne

Winger Ed.
08-31-2022, 09:13 AM
and several cans of smokeless gunpowder. She took it all in stride. e

I might be able to beat that.:bigsmyl2:

Before we got married in 2002, I had a pretty big box on the floor in the kitchen by the back door.
I had a buddy who was a explosives nut. While in the Marine Corps, he took every explosives class he could.
There was one class where you got to set and find mines, set and detonate several different kinds of charges, etc.
He went to it three times in one year.

Anyway, he'd bought a case of high explosives to go play around with out in the country.
It was a two part type, and he wanted to keep them separate.
So, I let him keep the case of one part at my house.
It sat there in the kitchen for at least a year.

After we got married, she asked what was in the box.
I told her. She asked how powerful it was.
I told her it'd turn the whole neighborhood into a baseball diamond.
She asked me, "Does it have to stay here in the kitchen"?

I wasn't asked to get rid of it, just move it out to the garage.

WRideout
09-01-2022, 01:25 PM
I might be able to beat that.:bigsmyl2:

Before we got married in 2002, I had a pretty big box on the floor in the kitchen by the back door.
I had a buddy who was a explosives nut. While in the Marine Corps, he took every explosives class he could.
There was one class where you got to set and find mines, set and detonate several different kinds of charges, etc.
He went to it three times in one year.

Anyway, he'd bought a case of high explosives to go play around with out in the country.
It was a two part type, and he wanted to keep them separate.
So, I let him keep the case of one part at my house.
It sat there in the kitchen for at least a year.

After we got married, she asked what was in the box.
I told her. She asked how powerful it was.
I told her it'd turn the whole neighborhood into a baseball diamond.
She asked me, "Does it have to stay here in the kitchen"?

I wasn't asked to get rid of it, just move it out to the garage.
Your marriage is going to last!
Wayne

GregLaROCHE
09-01-2022, 04:27 PM
I don’t know exactly what you have in your gun safe, but I would get Something different. Maybe The 50/120, if available.