PDA

View Full Version : Minie Ball casting problem

tinsmith
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I started casting some Lyman 575213-OS Minie Balls this afternoon. I was using pure lead. After they cooled, I noticed that many of them had a casting viod at the top of the hollow base. I weighed a sampling of the Minie Balls and found that they were quite inconsistent.
Question:
What technique seems to work best for casting good Minie Balls?

freedom475
01-29-2009, 01:27 AM
I have the same problem with the minnies...if you're talking about up inside the base....I seem to have the best luck running the mould and lead real hot. I also get the best fillout by cleaning my mould real good with ascetone and then do it again.... don't smoke it or use any fancy "drop-out" product, just cast with it real clean.

If it's pure lead it shouldn't frost.

dromia
01-29-2009, 01:52 AM
I have the same problem with the minnies...if you're talking about up inside the base....I seem to have the best luck running the mould and lead real hot. I also get the best fillout by cleaning my mould real good with ascetone and then do it again.... don't smoke it or use any fancy "drop-out" product, just cast with it real clean.

If it's pure lead it shouldn't frost.

I concurr, a scrupulously clean mould and crank the heat up.

I also find I need to pour the lead with the spout away from the sprue hole, I use a rowel ladle so I have plenty of lead when pouring.

Bullshop
01-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Fast, hot, bullplate !!!

Bent Ramrod
01-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Heat, heat, and more heat!

The boolits should be battleship gray from oxidation after they cool. That hot.

Don't let the hollow point pin cool; get it back in the mould as soon as possible.

Buckshot
01-29-2009, 04:52 AM
.................Yup, just like everyone else said, Runner HOT boy :-) One thing I did to the mould which seemed to really help was to fill off the pointy end of the HB plug. The incidence of obvious voids fell off drasticly.

...............Buckshot

JeffinNZ
01-29-2009, 05:06 AM
HOT, HOT, HOT. Real hot!

When I was casting my .40cal Minies recently I ran the 10lb Lee at 1000F. Poor old pot didn't know what had hit it! Reject rate however was virtually nil and I am FUSSY.

missionary5155
01-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Good morning
Except for scirmishing... I Stopped using Minis. My patched .57 pure lead will go through TWO does standing side by side with about a foot between them. This is with my 58 Zouave Replica using 85 grains 2f. Out to 100 yards a mini (in my zouve) cannot come close to the accuracy of a .57 or .575 RB.
So unless I really need the Beasts... I happilly stay away from that mold . Mike God Bless you .

tinsmith
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice! I was running my lead way too cool. I'll try it again today, just hotter. Also, good advice from Missionary5155. My .562 RB shot lousy in my Navy Arms Zouave. I'll try larger balls (.570) & thinner patching.

Tinsmith in the Ozarks

59sharps
01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
minnie sized.002 under bore dia. lube 50/50 bees wax olive oil. pure lead heat to so hot that they will frost and yes pure lead will frost heat should be between 775 - 825. some time tofast a pour is no good keep the mold tilted at an angle.
i use that same mold for agout 10 yrs.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Sometimes you might think the HOLE in the sprue plate is a bit undersized for the size of the bullet. BvT

missionary5155
02-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Good morning
The Baron has a good point... how come the mould makers do not use a larger hole on the plate of large molds ? I understand the economics... But if that is their attitude MONEY - PROFIT then we need to let them know... shape up.
We are now 8000 members .. what if we stop buying their products for 3 months ???
Mike God Bless you all.

rhbrink
02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
When all else fails do what Buckshot did, that helps a lot.