PDA

View Full Version : Rocket ship launch -- LIVE -- now...

georgerkahn
08-29-2022, 06:52 AM
For those both up and about while having interest in the rocket launch scheduled for 8:30AM EDT this morning (10:00AM in Newfoundland) -- it is being streamed live -- even right now -- and you may watch it, again, live! The horizon looks clear, with the promise of a gorgeous sunrise...
Again, should you have interest,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg
geo

Handloader109
08-29-2022, 07:12 AM
Nasa channel if you have on cable. Pretty view of Florida....looks like good weather.just happened to be browsing the curiosity Channel last night and saw the show on the new rocket and the upcoming launch.
Oh,, ANOTHER TRUMP WIN. He pushed NASA back into space, not anyone on the left. Let's see if they can do it....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Finster101
08-29-2022, 07:50 AM
I'm hoping to see it. I am on the other coast, but I have been able to see many of the shuttle launches when it was flying and the occasional satellite rocket launch depending on it's trajectory. This rocket is huge. I should have an easy time spotting it.

georgerkahn
08-29-2022, 08:42 AM
MISSION SCRUBBED! Apparently a slight leak of fuel plus them not getting an appropriate fuel temperature has called for a scrub of the mission for today :( :( :(... NASA voiced the next window of opportunity for another launch try will be FRIDAY 2 September 2022 at "12:48 Eastern time" -- they did not indicate if the time will be A.M. or P.M. ...
Either way, God willing, I plan to be watching!
geo

Finster101
08-29-2022, 10:03 AM
Night launches are just awesome for me. My best vantage point is my driveway with and unobstructed ENE view.

MaryB
08-29-2022, 02:34 PM
Also a possible crack on one of the core engines... if it is cracked that is a month+ scrub. They have to roll back to the vehicle assembly building to work on it.

This thing is way overpriced and a joke. SpaceX Falcon 9 heavy can do 127k pounds to orbit vs 200k for Artemis. At a far cheaper price tag. Split the loads up and assemble in orbit, we have just a wee bit of practice doing that now! NASA trying to justify their budget and failing because this mess is way over budget and way behind schedule.

popper
08-29-2022, 03:05 PM
It's bigger cause they want it for a mars trip. Yup, waste of our tax $. Once the shuttle got cancelled and space station started, NASA is a joke.

.429&H110
08-29-2022, 06:42 PM
GAO says four Artemis launches by 2025 will cost 93 billion dollars.

$93,000,000,000

250,000 miles to the moon four trips 2,000,000 miles

$23,250 per mile.

Congress is the wrong bunch to do manned space flight.

Daekar
08-30-2022, 08:04 AM
Artemis is basically a jobs program. There's a lot to be said for going to the moon, and I'm glad it's being done, but what I've seen from space-watchers that I respect indicates a lot of politics are involved.

Gotta dig the big orange tank though, it's a cool looking rocket.

canyon-ghost
08-30-2022, 08:00 PM
Would you call that an FTF (failure to fire)?
Just joking, gents.

farmbif
08-30-2022, 08:12 PM
is nasa a way too expensive joke? there are quite a few things we take for granted today as a direct result of nasa and space program. if it wasn't for nasa we would not have wd-40, or Garmin or many many other things we just have and use today that came from nasa research and engineering.
I agree that musk and space x has made advancements that save a bunch of money and are pushing the envelope, space x does quite a bit of contractual work with nasa.
ask musk how many rockets he exploded and crashed and burned before he had success? look what happened to Indias big rocket they sent up last week, it almost made it. almost.
do you really want china, Korea, India ESA and other countries having a superior lead on us by cutting the heart out of nasa?

elmacgyver0
08-30-2022, 08:22 PM
I have never had a problem with money spent on space research exploration, being tied to one planet is a dead end.
NASA seems more of a woke organization lately, if they are getting back into space travel more power to them.
If all they want to do is send minorities into space, heck, go for it, just make sure they are qualified.
This country squanders away billions down rat holes that never have a chance helping anyone save a few politicians and their families.

45workhorse
08-30-2022, 09:09 PM
I'd rather pay for a trip(s) to the moon, then pay for a bum/bumette's useless college degree. I mean underwater basket weaving is a non issue on the moon!

MaryB
08-31-2022, 11:57 AM
is nasa a way too expensive joke? there are quite a few things we take for granted today as a direct result of nasa and space program. if it wasn't for nasa we would not have wd-40, or Garmin or many many other things we just have and use today that came from nasa research and engineering.
I agree that musk and space x has made advancements that save a bunch of money and are pushing the envelope, space x does quite a bit of contractual work with nasa.
ask musk how many rockets he exploded and crashed and burned before he had success? look what happened to Indias big rocket they sent up last week, it almost made it. almost.
do you really want china, Korea, India ESA and other countries having a superior lead on us by cutting the heart out of nasa?

NASA should stick to research... how will we live on the moon/Mars etc and leave rocket building to private enterprise instead of NASA where layer upon payer of bureaucrats all have to have their hand in the pie and money for their part of the budget... SLS is going to cost $1BILLION per launch... SpaceX falcon 9 heavy can launch 6+ times for that price tag! Yes FH(Falcon 9 Heavy) only carries abut 5/8 the payload of SLS. Break up the loads to orbit and use it! We have a wee bit of experience assembling things in orbit starting with the Apollo moon missions, the ISS...

SLS is a bunch of left over parts from other programs and OLD technology. It is way behind schedule and way over budget.

Any bets on a scrub Saturday when they try again? Or a failure/explosion because they have never gotten a handle on the leaks from mashing different systems together.

SpaceX gets their SpaceShip off the ground and it will double the payload capacity of SLS! And be mostly reusable. For things going to moon orbit we should have dedicated space tugs to move loads instead of making things capable of launch to orbit then travel to the moon... specialize. Use a nuke engine on the space tug and ionized gas propulsion(proven design on many satellites!). We are at the cusp of moving to space to work, mine, refine materials... do it right instead of lowest bidder or government program both of which lead to substandard designs. Private industry will do it cheaper but reliable because they need it to work over and over again. SpaceX is now over 150 successful first stage landings and reuses. Some have flown a dozen or more times...

armoredman
08-31-2022, 11:39 PM
This is the reason they keep denying Space X the permits to launch any more experimental rockets, so NASA can try to play catch up. All politics.

yeahbub
09-01-2022, 12:21 PM
Crack in the engine? Fuel Leak? . . . Never stopped the old Ford. . . .

MaryB
09-01-2022, 12:51 PM
Delays really kicked off hard when Biden took office... and that is as political as I will get. Not here to discuss his politics. There is a forum for that!

gwpercle
09-03-2022, 12:45 PM
It's Saturday morning and the news says the rocket is still leaking fuel ...
why don't they get a few hundred cans of that spray on stop leak stuff they sell on TV and do like the guy does on TV ... a little spray and the leaks are stopped !
He might donate the stuff for the Advertiseing and NASA endorsements !

Ain't them boy's got Duck Tape ... that will hold long enough ... It Ain't Rocket Science ...
... Oh , Wait ... it IS rocket science ! Never Mind !
Gary

armoredman
09-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Get out of Elon's way, NASA, and let the real professionals do the job right.

super6
09-03-2022, 01:56 PM
I saw the shuttle that killed every one on board from Tampa fla.@ 6:30 am. Was looking forward to this launch. No news for an hour, We new they were dead. I hope we can see it from SC !

MaryB
09-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Scrubbed, maybe Monday, maybe never. Congress needs to cancel funding for this boondoggle!

SLS is going to cost $1 BILLION per launch

Falcon 9 Heavy(FH) $150 million per launch. Yes FH is half the payload of SLS. Break the loads up and assemble it in orbit, we have a wee bit of experience now doing that! If 2 launches for $300 mil can do what 1 SLS launch at $1Bil it makes sense to use FH! Not that government has any common sense.

Congress needs to rein in the FAA, EPA, and NASA and tell them to get out of SpaceX's way and let them get Starship functional. It will have double SLS's payload capacity! And far lower launch costs.

gwpercle
09-04-2022, 12:37 PM
Scrubbed, maybe Monday, maybe never. Congress needs to cancel funding for this boondoggle!

SLS is going to cost $1 BILLION per launch

Falcon 9 Heavy(FH) $150 million per launch. Yes FH is half the payload of SLS. Break the loads up and assemble it in orbit, we have a wee bit of experience now doing that! If 2 launches for $300 mil can do what 1 SLS launch at $1Bil it makes sense to use FH! Not that government has any common sense.

Congress needs to rein in the FAA, EPA, and NASA and tell them to get out of SpaceX's way and let them get Starship functional. It will have double SLS's payload capacity! And far lower launch costs.

:goodpost:
LIKE LIKE LIKE

super6
09-04-2022, 02:13 PM
Mary B has it right, Space X can and will deliver. No need for NASA! I say put several billion that way.

MaryB
09-05-2022, 12:57 PM
NASA needs to stick to the hard science stuff... materials for moon and mars habitats for example. Something light that will hold up to radiation and temp extremes... design of new space suits for use on Mars, suits need to be durable, easy on/off(and quick on!), flexible for doing manual labor... communication systems designs so we have constant comms without the need for the deep space array, I see a system of repeater that transmit signals from Mars to earth no matter where it is in its orbit...

NASA is literally working on a warp drive. It has been tested on a tiny scale https://www.coffeeordie.com/alcubierre-white-warp-drive