PDA

View Full Version : Chart of impact and hold

Chill Wills
08-29-2022, 12:50 AM
All my fixed sight handguns impact high and left. I have to hold 5 o'clock to get hits. This is true for both single and double action revolvers and my 1911's

M-Tecs
08-29-2022, 01:01 AM
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chart+of+impact+and+hold+handgun&qpvt=Chart+of+impact+and+hold+handgun&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 01:47 AM
I shoot left handed and have the same problem up & off to the right if I don't concentrate.
I think it has to do with how I grip the pistol as I'm pulling the trigger.

A buddy shoots it just fine, so I know it isn't the sights.

fastdadio
08-29-2022, 04:36 AM
All my fixed sight handguns impact high and left. I have to hold 7 o'clock to get hits. This is true for both single and double action revolvers and my 1911's

Use more finger, deeper into/on to the trigger.

William Yanda
08-29-2022, 07:32 AM
I am trying to wrap my mind around how a 7 O'clock hold cures a high and left impact. Wouldn't a 5 O'clock hold be the answer?

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't a 5 O'clock hold be the answer?

Don't do it. You'll shoot your eye out kid.

Chill Wills
08-29-2022, 10:16 AM
I am trying to wrap my mind around how a 7 O'clock hold cures a high and left impact. Wouldn't a 5 O'clock hold be the answer?

Yes. Sorry, I had a dyslexic moment. 4:30 -5:00 O'clock is what corrects it.

I am right handed.

lar45
08-29-2022, 11:01 AM
Is this what you are looking for?
Right handed
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/targets/fixr.pdf

left handed
http://www.lsstuff.com/pics/targets/fixl.pdf

Der Gebirgsjager
08-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Assuming that the pistol is factory sighted to shoot dead center with a certain load within specified distance limits the chart (s) might prove of some assistance. Change the equation, and all bets are off. From my experience as an example, shooting PPC with a S&W Mod. 14 with a 6 inch barrel and using 148 gr. HBWC bullets over 2.5 gr. of Unique the revolver will shoot to point of aim out to 25 yds. At 25 yds. it was necessary to hold high over the X-ring about 2 inches. Obviously, slightly higher as the distance increased to 50 yds. Then, switch to a factory loaded 158 gr. RN the point of impact will change, and change dramatically lower with a +P+ 110 gr. JHP factory round.

With many revolvers, not only will the elevation required change, but so will the windage, right or left. One reason why adjustable sights are provided. Then, just to complicate things, the shape of various grips comes into play, factory or custom, and how the revolver or semi-auto sits in your hand-- how your individual hand is constructed such as short or thick fingers, large or small palm, will make shooting any pistol a personalized experience. When it comes right down to it each shooter needs to learn how to shoot each pistol as an individual and individually for that specific pistol.

There are basic fundamentals such as getting and concentrating on a good sight picture, squeezing the trigger, etc. that have application to most pistol shooting in general, but each pistol remains an individual learning experience to shoot it successfully. The old saying, "Practice makes perfect" is applicable. If possible it is advisable to find out what the pistol is capable of by shooting some rounds bench rested, supported by and arm rest or sand bags to assure that it is shooting "dead on", if not to make sight corrections before proceeding. If it doesn't shoot dead on when supported, and if it doesn't have adjustable sights, then you'll discover what Kentucky windage is needed to make it shoot in the ball park. I possessed a brand new New Model Ruger Vaquero that shot very low left, and sandbagged with ammo suggested by the factory rep. shot low left, but less so. It went down the road.....

So, what I'm trying to say here is that first determine what your pistol is capable of, and then if you find that you're not shooting up to its capabilities then try changing your grip, and perhaps your grips. When you achieve that magic combination of grip and load resulting in X-ring accuracy stick with it. Don't expect the precision to necessarily be there for the next load you try. A couple of inches could prove a serious error in the real world, such as a miss or poorly placed shot on a game animal or a less than lethal hit (or miss) on a felon.

DG

TNsailorman
08-29-2022, 03:41 PM
Back in the late 70's and thru the 80's I shot competition in local Combat Matches. I had a .38 special S&W which I shot to the left about 2" or so. I decided it was from the way I placed my finger on the trigger, which had a serrated face. I had a pistolsmith (now dead) take the serrates off the trigger (smooth faced it) and put a slant on the trigger surface to the left (I am right handed). Worked like a charm on that revolver for me. May or not work for anyone else but did for me. In a moment of weakness, I sold that revolver after I quite competition shooting. Wish I still had it. james

Texas by God
08-29-2022, 11:18 PM
This is an oldie but a goody.....
I just finished removing and reinstalling the barrel on my Rossi .38 because I can't stand windage challenged fixed sight guns. Now it's 3" high dead center at ten yards and that's fine with me.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220830/d7e25c453da90aff078a63733899345d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Chill Wills
08-30-2022, 11:36 AM
YES! That chart I have seen. I think it was made after they saw me shoot a handgun.

BLAHUT
08-30-2022, 02:25 PM
Yes, i use all of the, you suck, parts of that pistol target>>> all of the time>>>

Happy caster
08-30-2022, 03:43 PM
To the OP, it could be that you are gripping a bit too high and due to the DA trigger pull, you are heeling ever so slightly. Meaning that you are tightening your 2 lower fingers on your strong hand as you are getting to the last trigger travel before the shot goes. Just my humble opinion