PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning boolit molds

jackpenley
08-28-2022, 09:15 PM
I was casting some BP boolits today, and I got a little overzealous with the beeswax. Anybody have a good method for cleaning scorched beeswax from an aluminum mold?

I'm sure this info is in some thread on this forum, but I'm terrible at looking.

-jack

Bent Ramrod
08-29-2022, 09:43 AM
Hold the open blocks by the handles in boiling water with dish soap, and brush gently with an old toothbrush.

jackpenley
08-29-2022, 12:04 PM
Ramrod,
Thank you for the quick, honest response. The truth is, I looked and looked and looked through this forum for the info and found a lot of "non-answers" or "answer with a question" responses.

"How do I remove beeswax from a mold?" - answer: "What makes you think you have too much beeswax on your mold?" or "Why are you using beeswax?" or "You should be using X..."

Thank you for a quick, solid answer to my question. It seems to be working, I just need to be patient. ;)

-jack

gwpercle
08-29-2022, 12:59 PM
I try to keep water away from my moulds ... Acetone and Oral-B toothbrush ( Oral-B handles will not melt ...don't know about others ) Scrub with acetone and any really stubborn places #0000 steel wool soaked in acetone and used very gently will remove baked on crud .
Gary