PDA

View Full Version : CCW instructor

Thumbcocker
08-27-2022, 05:26 PM
Mrs.Thumbcocker is taking the Illinois CCW course. She has been motivated by mass shootings in public places like malls. She has been shooting revolvers for over 30 years.

She goes to class today and this happens.

Instructor says Stryker fired pistols are the best defensive arm ever.

He refused to let her do the simulation from a Weaver stance because " Weaver is not consistent ". (I have seen her targets lo these many years and would beg to differ).

He doesn't like revolvers. (Mrs.Thumbcocker's pride and joy is a pinned and recessed 4" model 19)

He wants everyone to shoot with both eyes open regardless of how well they shoot with the non-shooting eye squinted or closed)

I short he wants everyone to shoot the way he deems best and doesn't seem to care about them using what they are familiar with or what allows them to put hits on target.

Mrs.Thumbcocker is annoyed but has another 8 hours tomorrow. I will try to keep her in a good mood.

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 05:58 PM
Is it worth it to get a CCW in Illinois?
I was under the impression there are few places they allow carry.
I was also under the impression the no gun signs are force of law and the antis were handing the no gun signs out like candy.
Of course, the rural areas are probably not so bad.
I think my nephew who lives in rural Illinois got one.

Thumbcocker
08-27-2022, 06:16 PM
There is a whole lot of Illinois that ain't Chicago. We just don't get much press.

Krh1326
08-27-2022, 06:26 PM
There is a whole lot of Illinois that ain't Chicago. We just don't get much press.

Amen. Same in NY. It all ain’t NYC.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-27-2022, 07:18 PM
Opinions vary. There are other instructors offering different classes. I've always been of the opinion that one is best armed with what one is the most proficient with and feels best armed with.

DG

Mk42gunner
08-27-2022, 08:11 PM
Too bad you already paid for the course. I would definitely give him poor feedback once he has signed the appropriate paperwork.

One thing I learned as a Rangemaster is that not everything works for everyone.

Robert

country gent
08-27-2022, 08:23 PM
I would prefer to see people use what they are familiar with and know, its mush safer and they do better. Trying to change just before or during the coarse is a recipe for failure.

I would drive him nuts as I shoot a handgun right handed and left eye due to medical issues.

ericp
08-27-2022, 08:48 PM
A few ccw instructors have given me flack for shooting revolvers but generally shut their trap after seeing my scores.

Eric

BLAHUT
08-27-2022, 09:00 PM
All i can say is < they have her money< does she want that signature on the paperwork ?? Once she has that she can do what she deams proper?? I hold many national reckords with a firearm>> i will not argue with these people>> get the paperwork signed and then go from there>> she only needs to pass this so called class??
Then she is good to go??

contender1
08-27-2022, 09:32 PM
Not every certified instructor is qualified to instruct. Having the certification only means you have passed the class & requirements to teach.

I've been an instructor of many things my entire life.
BSA; Teaching boys about Scouting & the things they wanted to learn to earn Eagle & beyond.
SCUBA; I used to be a "Master Instructor Trainer."
Firearms; NRA certified. Specialize in "Ladies Only" clinics.
Hunter Safety Instructor for the State.

I've had students teach me things, and I've had students that defied "normal" methods of things. As an instructor,, my job is to teach,, yet to also present material in a manner to which they can take what's presented & go forward.
No 2 people are alike,, and no "One way fits all!"

Close-minded people won't change.

Get your wife through the class,, get the certification, and then make sure any & all people who you know who may want a CCW class to look elsewhere.

Winger Ed.
08-27-2022, 09:46 PM
That sounds like one of them deals where you smile, nod, get your license, move on, and live happily ever after.

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 10:49 PM
I can understand teaching a basic marksmanship to the point of safe gun handling, as far as accuracy and form should be up to the individual.
The main emphasis should be on where it is legal to carry and when it is appropriate to draw your weapon and the ramifications if you do draw your weapon.
Also, what to do if you are involved in a shooting.
Anything beyond this is a dog and pony show.

M-Tecs
08-27-2022, 11:01 PM
I hold many national reckords with a firearm

What disciplines do you compete in? We may have crossed paths.

canyon-ghost
08-27-2022, 11:15 PM
It's alright, m'lady, you'll just have a story to tell! I took the class, scored 249 out of 250, and then didn't send the paperwork in! Lol.
The second time, years later, I took the class, scored 243 (highest score in the class) and did do the paperwork and fingerprints! I have the license.
Here's the tech: first class was with a 5906. I had been shooting hunterspistol matches competitively. Second class, I shot my new XDm that I got for working 10 years at the same job. It's the only pistol in my collection that would qualify to this guy's specs! With a 5" barrel and fiber-optic front sight? It's a really quick production race gun! The young instructor stood close by and looked it over like he wanted to see it. Lol!
These classes have more to do with access to a form of defense than your level of expertise. They just want handgun proficiency.
Wonder if I could have shot my Blackhawk in 41 magnum? That would have sent them running to the exits! Lol!!

Ron

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 11:32 PM
It's alright, m'lady, you'll just have a story to tell! I took the class, scored 249 out of 250, and then didn't send the paperwork in! Lol.
The second time, years later, I took the class, scored 243 (highest score in the class) and did do the paperwork and fingerprints! I have the license.
Here's the tech: first class was with a 5906. I had been shooting hunterspistol matches competitively. Second class, I shot my new XDm that I got for working 10 years at the same job. It's the only pistol in my collection that would qualify to this guy's specs! With a 5" barrel and fiber-optic front sight? It's a really quick production race gun! The young instructor stood close by and looked it over like he wanted to see it. Lol!
These classes have more to do with access to a form of defense than your level of expertise. They just want handgun proficiency.
Wonder if I could have shot my Blackhawk in 41 magnum? That would have sent them running to the exits! Lol!!

Ron

I love the S&W 5906; I have a police trade-in that I cleaned up and put laser engraved Turkish walnut grips on it.
I also installed a Crimson Trace holographic green dot sight on it. It functions perfectly with everything I feed it.

Handloader109
08-28-2022, 06:59 AM
Illinois must be way different than anywhere south. Concealed carry permits in every state I've heard of are typically based in what the law is in that state concerning using a gun. Here in AR is less than 8 hours with roughly an hour of pistol instruction, and that is mainly shooting the required rounds on target. If you use a revolver, you are not licensed to carry anything else but a revolver here. Most will use a semi, and when my wife went, the instructor let most use his glock. And yes it was the best thing and only thing to buy..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Bloodman14
08-28-2022, 07:46 AM
I would prefer to see people use what they are familiar with and know, its mush safer and they do better. Trying to change just before or during the coarse is a recipe for failure.

I would drive him nuts as I shoot a handgun right handed and left eye due to medical issues.

I also shoot right-handed/left-eyed. Drove my instructor nuts. It's just the way I am, being left eye dominant. Is this uncommon?

jonp
08-28-2022, 07:51 AM
pulled post

Thumbcocker
08-28-2022, 07:56 AM
He also had them shooting on the simulator without using the sights. Goes against everything she has been doing for decades. Jeff Cooper would not be impressed.

firefly1957
08-28-2022, 08:02 AM
The guy I took my CPL class from was pretty lax he made sure everyone could safely handle the firearm and knew how to use the sights , the class centered on the legal aspects of carry . Two people in my class had an issue getting licensed one was in a bar fight in San Francisco while in the navy in the 1950's and the state listed it as a "domestic fight" under Bidens crime bill. He was told he was out of luck unless he sued the state of California I have no idea if he did . The other could not for months get a clean fingerprint check over a year later he was finally cleared and got his CPL . The person that did the prints for the county Said I am not supposed to tell you this but one of your fingers has the same print as someone else that is why all the problems.

The next group that did training at the same range were "jerks" wanted everyone to learn tactical shooting and to shoot very well to pass. They quickly folded as people got the word around not sure if they tried over again or not ?

In 2019 I helped run the range while a class went though I was surprised at the poor gun handling by several of the students I talked tp the instructor later he did not notice people where actually pointing pistols in the direction of others ....
Over half that class was shooting .22 rimfire pistols some of them shot very well others hit the paper most of the time.

jonp
08-28-2022, 08:11 AM
A few ccw instructors have given me flack for shooting revolvers but generally shut their trap after seeing my scores.

Eric

Our CCW guy laughed when I made a smiley face with my Target Masterpiece after the qualification part which I scored max but if I remember right it wasn't that hard. Pretty much shoot at a target and you had to get 7 or 8 out 10 in the right circles or something. Couple of guys there were better than I was and made ragged holes from all distances including one Master Class guy with a Wilson 1911. Much different testing than other states.

Sasquatch-1
08-28-2022, 08:42 AM

He refused to let her do the simulation from a Weaver stance because " Weaver is not consistent ". (I have seen her targets lo these many years and would beg to differ).

He doesn't like revolvers. (Mrs.Thumbcocker's pride and joy is a pinned and recessed 4" model 19)

He wants everyone to shoot with both eyes open regardless of how well they shoot with the non-shooting eye squinted or closed)

I think I would go and tell this guy he is an idiot and I want my money back.

IMO, Striker fire handguns, when dirty, can be one of the least reliable you can handle. And for most new shooters (which I am sure there were several in the class) a revolver is your best bet.

This guy seems to be trying to impose his will on everyone.

Cast10
08-28-2022, 09:29 AM
She’s after the ticket. He’ll brief her on laws, firearm safety, a little psycology. For $ spent, I doubt he’ll fail her.

Her learning is just beginning. She may be a crack shot, but always strive to learn/try more. May bring you guys a bit closer with some gun talk, too. I’m trying a new grip after 50+ years of shooting.

Oh, I’ve never seen a husband that can teach a wife to shoot. LOL. Me included! Best of Luck to you both!

MrWolf
08-28-2022, 09:45 AM
Out here we need:
(e) All persons applying for a license shall complete a training course in handling and firing a handgun, which includes the actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant. The successful completion of any of the following courses fulfills this training requirement: Provided, That the completed course includes the actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant:

(1) Any official National Rifle Association handgun safety or training course;

(2) Any handgun safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by an official law-enforcement organization, community college, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization, or handgun training school using instructors certified by the institution;

(3) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by a handgun instructor certified as such by the state or by the National Rifle Association;

(4) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by any branch of the United States military, reserve, or National Guard, or proof of other handgun qualification received while serving in any branch of the United States military, reserve, or National Guard.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the successful completion of the course or class by the applicant or a copy of any document which shows successful completion of the course or class is evidence of qualification under this section and shall include the instructor’s name, signature, and NRA or state instructor identification number, if applicable.

Pretty easy. We spent a few hours on the legalities and such and the shot maybe ten shots with the provided 22. You had to group your shots to within basically a dollar bill sized area at around seven yards. Instructor commented that he never taught me the grip I used (he never taught grips in the first place) but shut up real quick after I shot. Basically done in a morning.
As others said, basically do what they want to get the license then move on to what works best for your wife. Good luck.
Ron

Electrod47
08-28-2022, 12:21 PM
Just a couple observations from my class in Texas in Oct 2006. Class was taught with the emphasis on real world interactions typical for Downtown Big D. State rules at the time were, "If you qualified with a Revolver, your permit would be issued for Revolver ONLY" If "You qualified with Semi-Auto anything, you were licensed for both". The Permit ( as I recall) had a revolver or auto figure stamped on the back)
As far as shooting with both eys open? Yeah, why not?. I mean the targets are in your face during the test, real world defend yourself situation. That's why you are getting the permit, right? Ok, he doesn't want to see a Weaver Stance during his test. Really, no big deal. Do what ever you want, when you get home.
PS: Weaver is my stance period. And Both Eye's open is how I roll.

farmbif
08-28-2022, 12:39 PM
I guess you have to keep in mind that all too often people get into positions of authority only to feed their own ego.

poppy42
08-28-2022, 01:00 PM
I also shoot right-handed/left-eyed. Drove my instructor nuts. It's just the way I am, being left eye dominant. Is this uncommon?

Not As uncommon as you think. I’ve known quite a few people with Opposite eye dominance. Including my granddaughter.

dverna
08-28-2022, 02:05 PM
Mrs.Thumbcocker is taking the Illinois CCW course. She has been motivated by mass shootings in public places like malls. She has been shooting revolvers for over 30 years.

I short he wants everyone to shoot the way he deems best and doesn't seem to care about them using what they are familiar with or what allows them to put hits on target.

Mrs.Thumbcocker is annoyed but has another 8 hours tomorrow. I will try to keep her in a good mood.

Old school guy here and used the Weaver stance until I took a course at Frontsight. I tried what is called IIRC a Tactical Stance and found it was better for me and I have adopted it. Nothing wrong with trying something new IMO. She can shoot how she wants after the class.

Lots of good reasons for shooting with both eyes open, but not everyone can. There appears to be more women who are cross eye dominate than men. This instructor should be educated in that fact. When I used to teach Trap shooting, eye dominance was the first thing I checked. And I found a higher percentage of women were cross eye dominant.

As to striker fired pistols, I believe they are the best weapons for me. I like not having a safety on the Glocks or Kahrs. I like the long and less than crisp triggers as the chance of an AD are reduced. But they are not for everyone, and the guy needs to understand that. For a person who cannot rack a slide to clear a FTF, the revolver makes a lot more sense.

Nothing wrong with an instructor advising what he thinks is best, but he should not insist on it. This guy sounds like a jerk, so you just need to deal with it and move on. You may want to talk to him after your wife gets her CCW but it may do no good at all. Some people do not know what they do not know.

WRideout
08-28-2022, 03:02 PM
I have been an instructor and trainer everywhere I have worked since I was a private in the army, many long years ago. When I worked for Martin Marietta, I took the train the trainer course. One of the things I learned is that the instructor doesn't have to be an expert, as long as he has a "subject matter expert" in the class. I tried to always draw on the knowledge and experience of the participants.

BTW: I am also left eye/right hand dominant. After I found out, I began shooting with my left eye closed.

Wayne

Budzilla 19
08-28-2022, 04:17 PM
Instructor claims “ striker fired pistols are the best defensive arm ever?” .................wrong!
The best defensive arm is the one that YOU are familiar with, and can shoot to point of aim repeatedly. Revolver, semi auto, shotgun,striker fired, whatever the platform, if you can reliably hit your intended target, then THATS the best defensive arm, for you and your situation!
Got a slight built young lady can’t rack the slide? Then TEACH her how to rack the slide, or have her choose a different platform! Blanket statements about weapons is a sign of ignorance.
He doesn’t like revolvers? .........well, i honestly don’t know what to say about that. ( well, I do but I don’t want another infraction, one was enough for me)He’s obviously not interested in helping his students in their proficiency part of their ccw class!
I’m gonna stop before I get myself in a jam here.
Thumbcocker, good luck with the Missus in her endeavors.
Finally, I agree with the comments about going along, just get your ticket, then do as you please as far as weapon, stance, etc.
Guys like this ******* are just a pain in the posterior.
As always, just my opinions. That are worth what ya paid.

Big Tom
08-28-2022, 04:25 PM
Almost funny - in a self defense situation, one needs to be capable shooting out of "any" position. In my CCW classes, I teach the proper stance for target practice, but also make sure they all understand to train shooting out of other random positions, one handed, weak hand shooting, and so on. It's not a marksman class, but is sounds like that guy has a huge ego.... reminds me of the cop in the school classroom, telling the kids that he is the only one qualified to handle a firearm before shooting himself in the foot... Oh well...

Finster101
08-28-2022, 05:06 PM
Many years ago when I got my CCW all I needed in Florida was a copy of my DD-214 for the training requirement. To my knowledge it is still that way.

jonp
08-28-2022, 05:22 PM
I guess you have to keep in mind that all too often people get into positions of authority only to feed their own ego.

So, you have experience with an HOA run by the not cool kids in high school?

Wayne Smith
08-29-2022, 08:04 AM
Years ago LOML and I went to get our carry permits. Took a local class run by an active duty SEAL - here in Tidewater, VA that's not unusual. He did a good job, and asked - yes, asked us to try something. He told us this was not required but he would like us to shoot both hands, strong hand, and weak hand. Neither LOML or I had shot weak hand only, and were both surprised at how accurate we were. It was a good exercise, and when I mentioned our surprise he stated that that was common and that's why he asked people to do it. He stated that it increased confidence and he was right.

Rapier
08-29-2022, 08:41 AM
When my wife took her CWP course I had her call my old IPSC, plates, pins, 3 gun, shooting buddy. he teaches the course out of a gun shop in NW FL. He actually owns a battery exchange and rebuild company. He does a good job of keeping the pressure down on the students and just has folks bring what they have or intend to actually carry.
I spent 40+ years as a match director and range master, military rifle and pistol team coach and member.
The wife enjoyed the course and the fact that the instructor knew our family.

FISH4BUGS
08-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Not at all. I am blind in my right eye and right handed. Just move the gun over to the left a bit when shooting.
No problem.

Battis
08-29-2022, 10:58 AM
A few years ago, my wife took a course to get her permit to carry here in Massachusetts. The course was approx 3 hrs of sitting at a table. No range firing at all - none. That makes no sense to me, especially in this far left state.

waksupi
08-29-2022, 11:18 AM

I don't think he is qualified to be an instructor.

elmacgyver0
08-29-2022, 11:46 AM
A few years ago, my wife took a course to get her permit to carry here in Massachusetts. The course was approx 3 hrs of sitting at a table. No range firing at all - none. That makes no sense to me, especially in this far left state.

It actually makes perfect sense.
Carry courses should be concerned with the legalities of carry, not with teaching you how to shoot.
I can see a range test to show you can safely handle a firearm, but that's it.
When I take a carry course, I want to be taught where I can and can't carry a firearm and how to interact with the authorities if and when the need arises.
There are courses available to teach gun handling if you know little about firearms separate from licensing classes.
There are a lot of states now where you don't even need a license.

Battis
08-29-2022, 02:14 PM
No, it doesn't make sense. They did not cover laws concerning carrying. There were people in that class who did not know a revolver from a semi-auto. To me, a required class involves some sort of training beyond yapping - driver's ed, for example. Teach kids driving theory all day long but unless you take them out on the roads, you're not doing them any good.
Range time equals safety training - it's that simple.

Big Tom
08-29-2022, 03:02 PM
Well, this is typically regulated by the state itself, not the instructor. When I look at the level of experience, that many bring to the training, I rather let them experience and show safe gun handling, how to clear a misfire etc. than only training up some people efficient in the laws only (still an important part, but don't assume that everybody who wants to carry ever touched a firearm before!)

It actually makes perfect sense.
Carry courses should be concerned with the legalities of carry, not with teaching you how to shoot.
I can see a range test to show you can safely handle a firearm, but that's it.
When I take a carry course, I want to be taught where I can and can't carry a firearm and how to interact with the authorities if and when the need arises.
There are courses available to teach gun handling if you know little about firearms separate from licensing classes.
There are a lot of states now where you don't even need a license.

Battis
08-29-2022, 03:55 PM
If the state is going to mandate training, or a course or whatever it was (which I'm totally against) then make it worthwhile. In that class, the instructor brought out a revolver and dummy rounds and showed the class how to load and unload the gun. Like I said, some in that class had never handled a firearm before, and they left thinking that they're gun knowledgeable. Without that mandated class, maybe (hopefully) they'd seek out some sort of proper training. 15 miles away in NH is Sig Arms with a really good training course at a decent price.

megasupermagnum
08-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Is this a CCW permit class, or something more advanced? If this is a basic CCW class I can see your argument. I am surprised you are required such a long class for just a CCW permit. Minnesota I think took me about 4 hours. I've heard California is an all day class.

Geezer in NH
08-29-2022, 08:51 PM
NH don't need license but if you want one apply pay the 10 bucks, pass the background check license issued.

When I lived in MA 40 years ago Applied for license, had lawyer friend call Police commissioner got licensed issued No training or test just JUICE.

Later on was sworn LE had to go to class for transitioning from revolver to SA. Shot better than rest of class and instructor. He was amazed I had S&W certs for revolver and SA. [Worked for big seller of their stuff] Came to conclusion most cops cannot shoot well nor even maintain the weapon that could save their life [city kids].

Police here in NH are much better shooters as they practice and enjoy it. [country boys and girls]

Battis
08-29-2022, 09:54 PM
I have a NH permit based on my MA permit. Just send NH a copy of my MA permit and the fees and I'm good to go. No permit required in ME or VT, so I'm good for at least four states. MA does not recognize other state's permits. NY, CT and RI are as bad, or worse, than MA.
When I was a cop, there were some impressive shooters on the force. We had Sigs when they were still made in Germany. I still cannot hit paper targets.

Sasquatch-1
08-30-2022, 08:11 AM
I would agree that there should be some kind of practical side to the course. But maybe states should require a firearms safety course be a prerequisite for taking a CCW course. Here in W. V. we have constitutional carry with no test or course required.

As far as the statement made that most police officer can't shoot worth a darn, I would agree. And that is after spending 25 years qualifying on the D. C. Police force and seeing how poorly most of my fellow officer shot.

MrWolf
08-30-2022, 08:15 AM
I would agree that there should be some kind of practical side to the course. But maybe states should require a firearms safety course be a prerequisite for taking a CCW course. Here in W. V. we have constitutional carry with no test or course required.

As far as the statement made that most police officer can't shoot worth a darn, I would agree. And that is after spending 25 years qualifying on the D. C. Police force and seeing how poorly most of my fellow officer shot.

Yup. WV classes are for a concealed permit to carry in states with reciprocity. I use mine all the time for travel in Virginia.

Battis
08-30-2022, 10:31 AM
In the academy we were told that the average cop scores a 96% on the range. That drops down to 18% in real life situations. Make what you want of those stats.

Bmi48219
08-30-2022, 11:21 AM
I would agree that there should be some kind of practical side to the course. But maybe states should require a firearms safety course be a prerequisite for taking a CCW course. Here in W. V. we have constitutional carry with no test or course required…..

I have to agree. The right to keep and bear arms is undeniable. But with rights come responsibilities, one of which is to not be a menace to those around you. At the local indoor range over 50% of permit class attendees have never handled a handgun. IMO, the state requirement is ridiculously weak. When I have to load a pistol, then show someone how to hold, aim and pull the trigger for their qualifying shots, I can’t consider that person safely proficient with a pistol.
Meeting minimum requirements yields minimum results.

shooterg
09-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Not As uncommon as you think. I’ve known quite a few people with Opposite eye dominance. Including my granddaughter.

or like me, right eye damage, so I twist the head a little and go bang ! Good to shoot some with the non-dominant hand but mostly stay to the right !

shooterg
09-04-2022, 03:11 PM
I have to agree. The right to keep and bear arms is undeniable. But with rights come responsibilities, one of which is to not be a menace to those around you. At the local indoor range over 50% of permit class attendees have never handled a handgun. IMO, the state requirement is ridiculously weak. When I have to load a pistol, then show someone how to hold, aim and pull the trigger for their qualifying shots, I can’t consider that person safely proficient with a pistol.
Meeting minimum requirements yields minimum results.

No range component required in VA, but when our club was sponsoring permit classes, we offered range time, most showed up .

armoredman
09-04-2022, 10:25 PM

IMO, Striker fire handguns, when dirty, can be one of the least reliable you can handle. And for most new shooters (which I am sure there were several in the class) a revolver is your best bet.

Interesting that you say that. In 20 years of qualifying with my Dept, plus running a rental range for a year, and carrying my own striker fired pistol for 5 years so far, I would find that statement to be in doubt. i do not like Glocks, but it's purely grip angle for me. My carry sidearm, P-10C, 2017 manufacture, even fits in G-19 holsters. I have seen two Glocks fail in my hand or in front of me, one being a G-17 that broke the slide under the ejection port. Only change was POI changed to one side slightly. That sidearm had well north of 100,000 rounds through it at the time, first gen Glock. The other was a G-19 that broke the mag catch while I was qualifying with it. I have seen literally hundreds of G-19s and G17s run filthy foul on our line and receive some pretty cursory maintenance...they ran just fine. I keep mine clean, but I can point to a lot of examples where they worked just fine. Just sayin'.
The instructor is entitled to his opinion, but if his opinion isn't part of the syllabus it should remain an unvoiced opinion. If you mention it during a break, that's one thing, but telling everyone in class that they MUST use a striker fired handgun is dumb. Let them use what they are comfortable with, but provide gentle advice if they are choosing something blatantly stupid, like a 44 mag single action revolver, (had a little old lady show up with one when we had a CCW class going on. We loaned her a range gun for the class - we were afraid the recoil would break her arm/wrist, as she was a fragile as a dry leaf!), an antique Mossberg Brownie 22lr derringer, etc., or something else completely inadvisable, but if that IS their choice, you do the best you can with your instruction. Never run it down, as I knew a gent who carried a Cimarron birds head 45 Colt for a carry sidearm, and he was GOOD with that old thumb buster.

Full disclosure;
20 years state sworn officer
2 years Assistant CCW instructor on one indoor range and one outdoor range, also RSO for both
Rangemaster for Armored Transport for 2 years
Gunners Mate US Navy, helped run the shipboard qualifications for 2 years WAY back in the day.
Currently a Certified Pistol Coach for 4H Youth Shooting Sports.
Just tell her to smile, nod, say thank you, and move on.

pworley1
09-04-2022, 10:38 PM
In Mississippi you only have to pass the background check and pay the fee to get a permit. You have to take a 8 hour course and qualify to get an enhanced permit. There is no permit required to open carry.

BLAHUT
09-04-2022, 11:10 PM
What disciplines do you compete in? We may have crossed paths.

small bore, 50yds, 50 meters, 100 yds, 3p, 4p, standing, air gun, rifle 3p, 4p, standing, air pistol 10 meters, free pistol, 300 meters, center fire, 3p, 4p, standing, rifle and black powder out to 1000yds, trap, skeet, muzzle load rifle at 100yds, around 5 state area, perry... I teach, I ran matches, where / what for you ???

Sasquatch-1
09-05-2022, 08:15 AM
Interesting that you say that. In 20 years of qualifying with my Dept, plus running a rental range for a year, and carrying my own striker fired pistol for 5 years so far, I would find that statement to be in doubt.

I am not saying that they are unreliable garbage, I just said "IMO, Striker fire handguns, when dirty, can be one of the least reliable".

My personnel experience is while at the range with my daughter. She had a fairly new Ruger SR9C that was her EDC. She had fired maybe 400 to 500 rounds max since she owned the gun. She had bought it new. This day at the range she went to the firing line and pulled the trigger and all she got was a click. These were re-loads, so she racked the slide and tried again. Same results. After doing this with rounds from different reload sessions she tried factory ammo with the same results. Luckily this happened at the range and not in a life and death situation.

A friend of hers, who is a bit of an amateur gunsmith took the gun and completely field stripped it and disassembled the striker and sonic cleaned the whole thing. Since then, with a little diligence on her part, she has not had a recurrence of the problem.

As stated, this is my opinion. Yours is evidently different.

M-Tecs
09-05-2022, 05:05 PM
small bore, 50yds, 50 meters, 100 yds, 3p, 4p, standing, air gun, rifle 3p, 4p, standing, air pistol 10 meters, free pistol, 300 meters, center fire, 3p, 4p, standing, rifle and black powder out to 1000yds, trap, skeet, muzzle load rifle at 100yds, around 5 state area, perry... I teach, I ran matches, where / what for you ???

NRA Highpower (both service and match rifle), Palma, NRA Long Range, F-Class, NRA Bullseye and registered trap on a serious level. I dabble at mild competition in a lot of things like BPCR, Swiss matches, skeet, sporting clays, cowboy action, archery and other things. Gopher and Mpls Rifle club are my home ranges so we will or have crossed paths. I went Distinguished Rifle at Perry. For the state Air and Army Guard rifle and pistol precision teams I was the Captain, Coach and Match Weapons Gunsmith before I retired. Ran matches also.

Geezer in NH
09-08-2022, 01:57 PM
I have a NH permit based on my MA permit. Just send NH a copy of my MA permit and the fees and I'm good to go. No permit required in ME or VT, so I'm good for at least four states. MA does not recognize other state's permits. NY, CT and RI are as bad, or worse, than MA.
When I was a cop, there were some impressive shooters on the force. We had Sigs when they were still made in Germany. I still cannot hit paper targets.
Should have saved the money you spent on the NH CCW as we are also Constitutional carry nobody needs a license!!!!!