PDA

View Full Version : 308 accuracy success

sloughfoot
08-26-2022, 11:13 PM
Today was an awesome day at the shooting bench testing a few loads. The first picture is 3 different bullets at 50 yards. Lee170 fn 31 gr. IMR 3031, the other three are a ladder test 28,29,&30 grains of Reloader 7 notice how 28 was 1.5” and the next 2 groups opened up. In the last picture is a good group with the Lee 170 grain FN and 31 grains of IMR 3031
All from 308 Winchester. LETS GO BOYS!!!!303551303554303553303555

Driver man
08-27-2022, 05:23 AM
Have you any idea as to fps

missionary5155
08-27-2022, 05:55 AM
Progress is always an encouragement.
If there is time I would load 10 rounds of which ever load you like best and re-fire.
Sometimes 3 round groups can be misleading. We use 5 shots in ladder tests and 7 shots in refining loads. Then fire the 10 shot group.
Yes it burns more powder and primers but adds alot of trigger time and confidence in your work with concrete results.

trapper9260
08-27-2022, 06:08 AM
If there is time I would load 10 rounds of which ever load you like best and re-fire.
Sometimes 3 round groups can be misleading. We use 5 shots in ladder tests and 7 shots in refining loads. Then fire the 10 shot group.
Yes it burns more powder and primers but adds alot of trigger time and confidence in your work with concrete results.

This is what I do , put 5 shots and see the pattern and then 10 shot to make sure it is how I like it .

sloughfoot
08-27-2022, 06:58 AM
I just don’t prescribe to that way of thinking. Adding 2 more shots to a 5 inch group of three or a 1” inch group of 3 won’t tell you any more than a 3 shot group. Once I get my load refinined then we’ll get hours and full days on the trigger. Yesterday session of tests was 75 rounds of trigger time. 303561

ChristopherO
08-27-2022, 08:17 AM
Adding more shots to a 5" group of three is throwing away powder and primer. Adding more shots to a 1" group defines that the load can actually hold up to the scrutiny that intentional load testing off the bench proves. We can fool ourselves into believing that that tight little 3 shot group is exactly what our rifle will do every time on demand. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way.
I've had rifles that would print the first 3 shots in an inch at 100 yards every time. Those groups grew to over 2" from that point up. In a hunting scenaro normally we don't need more than 3 shots fired, at worst. Yet, if we really want to see how the barrel, stock, bedding, action relationship performs when multiple shots are requested of it 5 shots are minimum and 10 shots are (or at least used to be) the gold standard.

I've finally concocted a load in the 35 Whelen with cast that kept 5 shots, after 2 fouler shots, within 2" at 100 yards. Best it has seen to date with many dozens of shots fired from it over the past 2.5 years. Taking my own advise, next trip to the range dictates that 10 of the same are tested. Do I ignore what I know to be a true test, or blithely accept what I've already seen and believe that this will continue to be the results? Suppose I best get off my tail and get those loaded up, as it has the makings of another beautiful day.

dverna
08-27-2022, 10:16 AM
Three shots will tell you if you have a bad load only.

I load 5 at every powder level when incremental load testing. If the first three are unacceptable, I do not fire the other two. If the first three are OK, I fire the rest.

But...that is for jacketed bullets that I know will be consistent.

When testing cast bullets, I fire all five. One bad shot out of group may be a poor bullet and not a result of a poor load. But I do not weight sort bullets.

Good Cheer
08-27-2022, 10:19 AM
sloughfoot, thanks for posting.
Getting ready to order a mold and soaking up all the data.
:)

sloughfoot
08-27-2022, 10:49 AM
sloughfoot, thanks for posting.
Getting ready to order a mold and soaking up all the data.
:)

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-308-hunting-solid-8-cavity-pb-or-gc/