PDA

View Full Version : Before You Buy A Hybrid, Take A Look At This..

DougGuy
08-26-2022, 07:16 PM
No words are needed!

kbstenberg
08-26-2022, 07:46 PM
I had my civic for 10 years. Then my daughter had it for 3 and no battery problems at all.

Handloader109
08-26-2022, 08:07 PM
Been called fake, but at least on site has stated that these batteries are 10k to 30k.. . So, no ain't buying a volt, which is 100% battery. Not hybrid.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

contender1
08-26-2022, 09:39 PM
No matter if this is a fake or not,, it's the direction the stupid green weenie types want us to go. Just look at what Commiefornia's government just did. Passing a law forbidding any new, all gasoline powered vehicles by 2035.
And I also ask the question; "Where will they get all the electricity to charge such things when they already have power grid issues & often have blackouts?"

STUPIDITY!!!!!!

Baltimoreed
08-26-2022, 10:22 PM
But just think, the air will be so much cleaner as they sit around outside waiting for their part of the grid to get turned on for a while. I like hydrogen but don’t we need hydrogen filling stations too?

Dusty Bannister
08-26-2022, 11:06 PM
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08/heres-how-much-a-2012-chevy-volt-battery-pack-replacement-could-cost/

white eagle
08-26-2022, 11:06 PM
No matter if this is a fake or not,, it's the direction the stupid green weenie types want us to go. Just look at what Commiefornia's government just did. Passing a law forbidding any new, all gasoline powered vehicles by 2035.
And I also ask the question; "Where will they get all the electricity to charge such things when they already have power grid issues & often have blackouts?"

STUPIDITY!!!!!!

Just think when all the people in Commiefornia all plug their cars in at night to recharge them the power will crash and they won't make it to work in the morning
their solar windmills just aint going to cut it
best of luck to ya
I would rather buy Texas gasoline than a Chinese battery

quilbilly
08-26-2022, 11:12 PM
Recently our local PUD sent out a newsletter with the time it takes to charge an electric vehicle depending on the type of charging apparatus. There are no "super fast" fast charging stations in this area and the nearest large grocery store is a 45 mile round trip. For us to get to the grocery store for food wee don't already grow or harvest, it would take a full day to charge the car. As for hydrogen, it is the future and the technology is evolving fast. There is testing going on in the UK using some sort of iron that produces hydrogen quickly and inexpensively on a small scale so far. Hopefully it will prove out.

kens
08-26-2022, 11:12 PM
how much does it cost to get rid of the old batteries.
that $29k quote was just the battery, how you get rid of the old one?
Old batteries are a haz-mat, right??

john.k
08-26-2022, 11:24 PM
The battery has copper and nickle salvage value.......the big fuss about lithium ,this is dumped to landfill with the carbon mat ..........incidentally,if you watch the utubes ,the battery is generally repairable for around $1500 by replacing the failed components.......but none of the car makers will sell the components......the makers comment being "we are the only ones qualified to replace the battery components,and we dont do it."

imashooter2
08-27-2022, 02:16 AM
I’m sure you can get one from Pep Boys for only $20,000. Throw it in on a Saturday afternoon and put the old one out with your trash. :bigsmyl2:

rbuck351
08-27-2022, 12:25 PM
When you get to the point that some of the cells in a battery need replaced, they are all getting old and will need replaced before long.

Four-Sixty
08-27-2022, 12:51 PM
I have seen where they are testing them. How these batteries are put together is so critical they do not patent the process as they want to protect their process as a trade secret.

I got reassigned, in part, cause I believe Electric Vehicles are going to be a disaster. I did not want to be part of it.

Finster101
08-27-2022, 03:10 PM
That is fake. I replaced one Volt battery customer pay and the total ticket was a little over 15K but other work was performed as well. Roger Dean Chevrolet is about 15 minutes from my house.

Finster101
08-27-2022, 03:12 PM
I’m sure you can get one from Pep Boys for only $20,000. Throw it in on a Saturday afternoon and put the old one out with your trash. :bigsmyl2:

One of the many things that can kill you is 300 volts. Change it out at your own risk.

jonp
08-27-2022, 03:28 PM
One of the many things that can kill you is 300 volts. Change it out at your own risk.

If your not living on the edge your taking up space

jonp
08-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Wifes company is testing electric yard trucks. $300,000 each triple a diesel rig and few answers as to battery replacement cost. The sales guy couldn't even tell them the running cost. I had to look up the power to recharge plus current rates to extrapolate the coast figuring in the recharger cost etc. Not cheaper considering cost plus no onsite repairs. Plus, grid goes down how you going to charge it?

nvbirdman
08-27-2022, 06:26 PM
I did the math. It is $0.42 per mile. gasoline at that price if you get 20mpg would cost $8.40 per gallon.

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 06:26 PM
That is fake. I replaced one Volt battery customer pay and the total ticket was a little over 15K but other work was performed as well. Roger Dean Chevrolet is about 15 minutes from my house.

Now I feel a lot better.

Finster101
08-27-2022, 06:43 PM
I did the math. It is $0.42 per mile. gasoline at that price if you get 20mpg would cost $8.40 per gallon.

Did you factor in that the Volt is a Hybrid and has a gas motor?

Finster101
08-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Now I feel a lot better.

Hey, I'm not plugging them, or advocating for them. Simply calling out what I know to be bogus as many would do in a gun thread. You can't shoot cast in a Glock can you?

DougGuy
08-27-2022, 06:49 PM
Wifes company is testing electric yard trucks. $300,000 each triple a diesel rig and few answers as to battery replacement cost. The sales guy couldn't even tell them the running cost. I had to look up the power to recharge plus current rates to extrapolate the coast figuring in the recharger cost etc. Not cheaper considering cost plus no onsite repairs. Plus, grid goes down how you going to charge it?

I just can't believe the massive conspiracy of LIES and LOOK THE OTHER WAY NOTHING TO SEE HERE that the left is foisting upon us and trying their damndest to whitewash it into something that remotely makes any kind of sense.

Anybody see the photos of lithium "leach fields"? You can see them from the space station. I wonder how many birds died mid flight before they wised up and know better than to cross there. SMDH...

The Green New Left won't tell anyone the real truth, by the time you figure in the cost of massive updates to the power grid, then massive amounts of more energy expended to make the added current to charge the EVs, the resources consumed and the pollution created will be quadruple or more the amount of driving a gasoline burning vehicle. As will the cost of said energy.

Finster101
08-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Doug, I completely agree with you. I have no want or desire for a Hybrid of EV. I don't think people understand how much it cost just to get their home wired for the better chargers, and older homes that may have 100amp service would have to be upgraded to 200amp just to do that. I have worked on them over the years. GM's only and do not want one, of any make.

ascast
08-27-2022, 07:15 PM
Fact - I drove a Geo Metro, 3 cylinder for several years - over 45 mpg rolling down the road at 65. I would buy a new one in a heart beat.

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 07:24 PM
From what I understand a lithium-ion battery fire, not that they ever short out is pretty scary.
I had a co-worker that has scars from when his vape device's battery decided to short out, caught his pants on fire and has nasty scars on his leg.
I also saw a picture of a bus that had a battery decide to short out. I forget which car it was that had a recall about the batteries and not to park them in your garage or too close to your house.303579

john.k
08-27-2022, 08:18 PM
There is nothing new about electric yard trucks .....like pre WW2 for sure .........i used to service the electrics ,everywhere from transport terminals to hospitals.......one time at the airport baggage handling,a guy said to me .....something you might be interested in......in a yard over the road from the airport,was a fleet of old rusty airport towmotors .......he says ,we want them gone .....no worries ,get them moved to my yard.....each one has a 5 ton lead acid battery........the scrapyard gave me $1000 for scrap recovery on each battery ,and there were 20 of them.......and lots of heavy copper cable and copper strip,and finally the steel ..........you dont get a deal like that every day.

Thundarstick
08-27-2022, 10:20 PM
I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota hybrid tomorrow! Full EV only? I think we are far from their real world viability today. I also think that unless the country is ready to go full bore nuclear, with a multitude of new power plants built, it's a wash and more likely a negative impact.
For the moment I think hybrid makes the best sense.

elmacgyver0
08-27-2022, 10:55 PM
I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota hybrid tomorrow! Full EV only? I think we are far from their real world viability today. I also think that unless the country is ready to go full bore nuclear, with a multitude of new power plants built, it's a wash and more likely a negative impact.
For the moment I think hybrid makes the best sense.
It seems the US government is big into building nuclear power plants, only in Iran, not here.

oldscool
08-27-2022, 11:07 PM
Gee I can get a battery replaced in Florida for only 15k. That convinces me to go EV>> NOT

firefly1957
08-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Could you imagine a car salesman trying to sell a new car and having to tell you the engine will need replacement in X number of years and will lose performance in less time? Because that is what you get with a battery powered vehicle the only way I could maybe see electric vehicles actually work out is if the batteries could be exchanged like propane cylinders are . You would simply swap batteries for a fee then be on your way , I can imagine it would be a very complicated set up and batteries would need to be standardized . Perhaps the smallest vehicles could use just one battery while others would have several batteries for more range and energy .

MrWolf
08-28-2022, 10:05 AM
I bought a 2006 Toyota Prius hybrid (gas and electric - no plug in) in early January 2006. Gave it to my son almost five years ago. Got 50 mag if you watched how you were driving, in the low 40's if you didn't. Replaced the starter battery twice (regular car battery). Biggest hassle was replacing the headlight bulbs. Huge undertaking but that was basically the only thing that went wrong with it. Pretty dang good car for what it was. Commuting vehicle and long trip if not packing a bunch of folks in it.

rbuck351
08-28-2022, 12:51 PM
I have had a few 1980s VW diesel Rabbits that would get 40/50 mpg and ran until the bodies rusted away. The one PU only got 40 mpg loaded or empty but had a bigger tank and would go 500/600 miles before fill up. Wish I could buy a new one of those.

Where I live, the closest fast charge station is about 60 mile away. If I tried to drive to my oldest sons house in AK with an EV, I believe I would end up a couple of hundred miles from nowhere with a dead battery and no where to charge it. There are a lot of empty miles between Whitehorse and Anchorage. (704 miles) With my Dodge Cummins 3500 dually I can drive from Eureka to Anchorage (2500 miles) with the fuel I can carry with me. Try that with any EV.

I will never buy an EV. I can't afford a new one and the cost of battery replacement for an old one is way to high. Also they don't have enough range and take too long to recharge on a long trip.

DougGuy
08-29-2022, 06:27 AM
The last EV I "drove" was a handheld 6" belt sander, while in shop class in high school (where they put all the troublemakers) we would pair off with two of these out in the hallway, switch locked in the ON position, take a seat on the handle and hold on tight while two buddies plugged 100' extension cords into the wall socket.

Just like the EVs of today, it was great fun until it ran out of cord and pulled it out of the wall. No juice? Not going anywhere.

waksupi
08-29-2022, 11:31 AM
The only way I see the EV's being accepted, is to standardize the battery sizes and connectors to fit any vehicle, and make them so they can easily be exchanged in under five minutes at a depot of some sort.

David2011
08-29-2022, 04:18 PM
We bought a new Toyota RAV4 in March. It’s a gasoline hybrid with no way to start the engine manually. It just starts running when the computer determines it’s needed. My wife likes them so it’s our third RAV4 and the first hybrid. It’s much more powerful than the two 4 cylinder powered predecessors. On a recent 1400 mile road trip it averaged about 43 mpg. We’ll see how the expenses are in the future. Fingers crossed. I drive a V-6 Accord Coupe and a 4wd F-150. No concerns about maintenance costs on 100% gasoline powered vehicles.

Mal Paso
08-29-2022, 05:16 PM
The only way I see the EV's being accepted, is to standardize the battery sizes and connectors to fit any vehicle, and make them so they can easily be exchanged in under five minutes at a depot of some sort.

Too Late! There are round batteries, square batteries and flat batteries all in battery packs that fit one car. The batteries have cooling systems too that would have to match.

One of my off grid customers charge their Volvo electric on one of their solar systems so "gas" is free. That changes the balance sheet a lot.

wv109323
08-29-2022, 06:08 PM
There is also the loss of fuel tax on gasoline. In WV that is a total of 53 cents a gallon, state and federal. Do you think for a minute that the government is going to forego all that tax income? There will be a mileage tax added at some point " to repair the roads"
As to battery standardazation many of the batteries in present cars are in the floor pan making it a major, major job for battery replacement. On a Tesla the car needs to be nearly disassembled to replace the batteries.
Also there will need to be 12 to 18 charging stations for every gas pump. If it takes 10 minutes to fill up at a gas station and 3 hours to charge up, you need 18 charging stations to do the same thing. Think of the additional real estate that will be needed to install 18 charging stations for each gas pump.
Parking garages will eventually need a charging station for each parking spot. What will be the cost to install charging stations in a six story parking garage

farmbif
08-29-2022, 06:45 PM
I dont think I'll ever understand why the public doesn't demand cars to be built like old tractors. my 1940's farmall tractors still run and my 1962 ford diesel tractor still has life left in it.
I think we are in for a lot of pain with cars and trucks in the near future as it seems all the manufacturers are saying by 2035 they will only be making electric vehicles.
took my first highway drive today in new truck since being in deadly life changing accident last year.refilled the tank before coming home $70 something for 3/4 tank.
but the new no frills base model 3500 Silverado is a beast and it can tow just about anything. thing I cant stand about it is everything is electronic, even the parking brake.
like I said before if I could get an electric truck for the same price that could tow 14000 pounds for 400 miles on a charge and last for 500000 miles and can be recharged in the same time it takes to fill a 30 gallon gas tank I would go for it

DougGuy
08-29-2022, 07:35 PM
There will be a mileage tax added at some point " to repair the roads"

Also there will need to be 12 to 18 charging stations for every gas pump. If it takes 10 minutes to fill up at a gas station and 3 hours to charge up, you need 18 charging stations to do the same thing. Think of the additional real estate that will be needed to install 18 charging stations for each gas pump.
Parking garages will eventually need a charging station for each parking spot.

What will be the cost to install charging stations in a six story parking garage

You answered your last question with your first sentence. Road tax MY ASS it's a punishment tax against those of us who still don't drink the kool aid.

Finster101
08-29-2022, 07:41 PM
I stand corrected. This was on my local news tonight.

https://nbc-2.com/news/local/2022/08/29/cape-coral-man-received-30k-estimate-for-electric-car-battery-replacement/

farmbif
08-29-2022, 07:55 PM
when I lived in the cape, I went out on the job to the site where Roger dean was to be built, lots of craziness out there back then when the only folks that lived out there were the nelsons-- another story for another time, all there was was giant pepper tree bushes everywhere. in fact one day some guy found three skeletons under one of those bushes once they were id'd turns out all of em had lengthy rap sheets mostly for theft and burglaries , anyway . but after Roger dean went up up I took my chevy's there for service quite often and they have always been straight shooters who were competitive with the rest of the best quality service places. never got ripped off or lied to there.

ebb
08-29-2022, 09:07 PM
I can't believe that there is still a Roger Dean Chevrolet in existence. He was such a snake, when his daughter sold the original in west palm beach the first thing they did was change the name.

Finster101
08-30-2022, 07:40 AM
farmbif, when Dean was being built I owned the Chevron station at Del Prado and Viscaya. Were you ever around there? Who did you work for? I had a lot of shops trading with me then.

farmbif
08-30-2022, 10:36 AM
oh yeah. its a small world. id rather not say who I worked for or what I did but traveled extensively through Charlotte, lee and collier going to different places and situations every day. not to be rude or anything just dont want to discuss my day job I had though the 70's 80's and 90's.
but after going through night school at vo tech I ended up partnering with the little boat yard next to the concrete plant out on pine island road past the German American club, got destroyed and condemned in hurricane Charlie

Siskiwit
08-30-2022, 12:33 PM
Wait till the power companies have to do rate case increases to upgrade the massive load on the substations and grid. Not to mention the upgrade to your service to 200 amps to feed the fast chargers. Don’t forget about the mileage tax they are proposing. It will soon be equal to three to four dollars per gallon of gas if they can get heir greedy hands on your money. For a commuter vehicle driving 20 miles or less a day it might be a good choice but if you live in the country like me it doesn’t make sense. A guy at work has a Tesla. In the winter he looses 1/3 of his range because of the heater for the batteries. When he has to tow a small trailer he looses another third capacity. He does drive for free when he plugs in at work. On thing I found that was a bonus is he took a 4k mile trip out west with the family and it cost him only $375. If they made a hybrid with a small diesel with the 2.8 Cummins, like the Ford Lightning design it would be something to consider but as you know Diesel engines are considered so bad by the lefties.

todd9.3x57
08-30-2022, 01:44 PM
https://www.westernjournal.com/man-learns-needs-new-ev-battery-hit-30000-price-tag-car/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=WJBreaking&utm_campaign=breaking&utm_content=western-journal&ats_es=fa6ced1452a7820694eb8bd73894579b

Man Learns He Needs New EV Battery, Hit with $30,000 Price Tag - More Than Car Itself
By Jack Davis
August 30, 2022 at 6:53am
In a case of highly charged sticker shock, a Florida Chevrolet dealer admits that it offered to replace the battery in a hybrid car for more than the vehicle is worth.

As reported by the website AutoEvolution, the case of the almost-$30,000 battery was being bandied about on social media for days, with some folks believing the tale and other relegating it to the pile of urban myths.

The story was based on a copy of an estimate for the battery of a 2012 Chevrolet Volt that was making the rounds. The Volt was a hybrid that was produced as Chevy was dabbling in the electric vehicle market. Its place in Chevrolet’s lineup has now been taken by the Bolt.

The estimate said that getting the battery would set the car’s owner back $26,853.99. Other costs brought the total bill to $29,842.15 — essentially $30,000.

Bet that Chevy Volt sounded like a good idea at first. pic.twitter.com/q57U0gZowU

— Rob O’Donnell (@odonnell_r) August 25, 2022

According to the automotive site Edmunds, a 2012 Volt is estimated to go for between $7,999 and $17,590 these days.

Chevrolet advertises that its new Bolt starts at $25,000.

In the end, the truth about a used car came from a car dealer – in this case Roger Dean Chevrolet in Cape Coral, which prepared the estimate.

“This is an estimate for a 12 year old vehicle out of warranty and for a battery that is extremely hard to get, due to the older technology of the 12 year old vehicle,” the dealership posted on Facebook in an attempt to set the record straight.

The comment from Roger Dean Chevrolet
(Roger Dean Chevrolet / Facebook)
The dealership also used this controversy as a chance for a sales pitch on newer electric vehicles.

“The dealership does not set battery prices. In the newer EV or EUV vehicles with newer technology the batteries do cost less. Think of it like big screen TVs. Remember when the first big screen came out, they were very expensive, and as the technology advanced the prices became better. This battery is also out of warranty of 8yr/100k miles whatever hits first,” the posting stated.

By way of context, an April report in Consumer Affairs gave a ballpark range of $4,000 to $10,000 to replace a gasoline-powered engine.

When seeking to learn how electric vehicle owners felt about the tale of the big-ticket battery, WBVH-TV in Fort Myers, Florida, visited a charging station and interviewed a man the station identified only as “Ian.”

“Thirty thousand dollars is a lot to fix anything on a car, especially when the car itself could be, like, worth less than that,” the man said.

Ian, who leases a Bolt, said things have changed in the EV market.

“As far as electric cars go, they’re being made in better ways now,” he said.

“I feel like electric vehicle space is innovating a lot. It’s moving on past the initial, like, if something goes wrong with your battery, you hit a rock or something and it messes up your battery you need to spend the entire amount you spent on your car to fix it.”

“I’m like ‘well, OK that’s gotta suck for that person’,” Ian said. “I think now that might not be as much of an issue for other people with newer cars.”

Three44s
08-30-2022, 05:22 PM
Pretty crazy isn’t it?

Three44s

farmbif
08-30-2022, 05:37 PM
ever see one of those ev batteries burn? not pretty. I wouldn't think many fire departments are prepared to deal with such a fire. ive shot at small electronics I think they were the same type as in ex's just smaller metal hydride batteries during target practice before the fire does not go out easily. but I'm out in the middle of nowhere and never do it unless the forest is wet.

Thundarstick
08-31-2022, 05:27 AM
Ever see a car worth a full tank of gas burn?:shock: Energy being released in a rapid manor is catastrophic no matter the storage device. Heck, even a bonfire is impressive, and it's a rapid release of chemical energy from stored sun light! [smilie=l:
My dad is looking at a Rav4 hybrid AWD rite now, he's 80! A class mate of his has one and he was so impressed now he wants one so he can make sure and get mom to dialysis if the weather turns bad this winter, because she can't get into his 4x4.

Digger
08-31-2022, 04:57 PM
Speaking of EV's , just caught this ..
link:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11165279/Californians-urged-not-charge-electric-cars-just-weeks-ban-gas-cars.html

farmbif
08-31-2022, 08:16 PM
as to ev batteries burning, if you look into it its much much more difficult to put out a nickel metal hydride battery fire than any gas or diesel fire. there are quite a few things on YouTube where fore department people talk about their experiences and concerns.
and yes ive been up close to a car full of gas exploding. it happened in the accident I was in last October , the fire started small but as soon as I got the door of the car open trying to free the woman behind the wheel the car exploded and knocked me on my keister . actually it took a few seconds, as I was reaching over trying to get her seat belt union that's when it exploded. it a whole different thing being a witness compared to being involved. I still feel awful that I couldn't save the young woman.
but its a real concern for firefighters that have to fight these electric vehicle fires.
and who knows how all the new proposed cars are gonna get charged, there's going to be a lot of financial pain for regular folks like myself between here and there. I just hope these people in charge of things dont cut gas supplies sending prices even higher.

Jeff Michel
08-31-2022, 09:19 PM
The closest I'll ever get to an EV/hybrid is my Ford F-450. Your choice to drive what you like but I have found that in a collision, the vehicle with the most lug nuts win.