PDA

View Full Version : model 62 winchester ser #1

farmbif
08-26-2022, 03:29 PM
wow, this was the first model gun I ever shot, my dads winchester 62. brings back fond memories. saw that the serial number 1 gun is going on the auction block later today or tomorrow at rock island in Illinois . wish I could afford to try and bid on such a rifle.

Rodfac
08-29-2022, 09:34 PM
Here's a pic of mine serial # 2029xx built in '47 if memory serves. It was in nearly new condition when I found it ~30 years ago and paid $350 for it. I added the tang sight, Marbles I think, and a Williams 1/16" white bead front sight later on. As a boy, I always wanted one of those Winchester hammer pumps that were chained to the counter top at the Erie County Fair shooting galleries. I was 42 when I finally fulfilled that dream.

The Model 61 above it is more accurate, mostly due to the Redfield 3/4" .22 scope, but either gun will clip walnuts out of my lower pasture tree line all day long. They're a favorite with my grand-daughters, nephews and a cpl of local farm boys here abouts. On paper, they'll do 3/4" groups at 32 yds off my porch rail with CCI Standard, Wolf Rifle Match or Federal Auto-Match!

Best regards, Rod

https://i.postimg.cc/yWqRFm0t/M61-and-M62.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

gc45
03-31-2023, 08:35 PM
Both my 61's are scoped using Leupold Rimfire 4x and man do they shoot well.

HWooldridge
03-31-2023, 09:18 PM
It’s always amazed me how extraordinarily accurate some of the older 22 rifles are. My first rifle was a Marlin model 39 and my dad left me a Springfield bolt action - both are one hole shooters, but I’ve seen so many other makes that are just as good. Reckon the various makers must have figured out the right bore sizes and rifling twists early on and perfected their offerings.

Iowa Fox
04-01-2023, 05:23 AM
It’s always amazed me how extraordinarily accurate some of the older 22 rifles are. My first rifle was a Marlin model 39 and my dad left me a Springfield bolt action - both are one hole shooters, but I’ve seen so many other makes that are just as good. Reckon the various makers must have figured out the right bore sizes and rifling twists early on and perfected their offerings.

And they were accurate with both shorts or long rifle. I've always attributed that to the chambers they used.

frkelly74
04-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Some guns just look like you can shoulder them and hit what you are shooting at automatically, instinctively. Those do indeed and I would love to have shot one when I was younger. My rifle was a Remington 521 which is a fine rifle, but it does not point well. You must intentionally aim it . Afew years ago I replaced the front sight with an orange fiber optic gizmo and that helps the old eyes along pretty well.

Rapier
04-01-2023, 10:01 AM
I was taught on a single shot Remington 510. i suspect Rem and Win were in a race for the bucks in the rimfire rifles and built to the competition. However, most countries had their accurate 22 makers. I have been a sucker for years for the 22 LR real shooters. I shot small bore paper targets, got real bored and started shooting small bore rifle silhouette. Found out real quick that I did not need a $1,000 rifle to send the heard home with an also came, look on their face.
Small bore rifle silhouette is a real trial, if you have never tried it, all off hand and no real control of the ammo. I still have a full set of 40 steel rifle targets.
My preferred gun is my old 512 tube fed 22 with a 3x9x40 Redfield 5 star USA made center fire scope with a duplex reticle. That 512 has a two stage trigger. Does not look like much, a sleeper, that will eat your lunch.

I always wanted a Gallery gun, pump with the exposed hammer. I too used to shoot them at the fairs and carnivals, just skipped the rides and eats, went right to the gallery and shot until all my change was gone.

jimlj
04-03-2023, 11:49 AM
I can't even imagine in today's world having a gallery at the county fair. Loved them as a kid.
I have my dads 62a. I haven't a clue how many rounds he shot through it, plus the tens of thousands my brothers and I have shot. It still shoots accurate.

ShooterAZ
04-05-2023, 05:42 PM
I took my 62A out last weekend. What a joy to shoot! Minute of walnut all day long.