PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice a decline of recreational shooting?

Murphy
08-25-2022, 11:17 PM
I live in a rural area, the county population is roughly 37,000 people spread out over the 2nd or 3rd largest county in Oklahoma (McCurtain). I live in the county seat, a small town of 7,000 in population.

When the weather permits, I enjoy sitting on my back deck, watching squirrels, etc. The police range is roughly 1.3 miles to the south of me. I can easily hear when the range is in use, which is outside of city limits. There is a good deal of private property and it wasn't uncommon to hear a few shot's now and then out in the country. This is on a 3 to 4 times a week basis. I have heard fewer shots fired in the past year, than I once heard used to hear in a week's time. And yes, the price of ammunition being what it is, has brought a lot of shooting 'for fun' to a halt.

How is the situation in your area? Just curious.

Murphy

BLAHUT
08-25-2022, 11:29 PM
Covid shut down all not many compitisitions to be found

gc45
08-26-2022, 12:59 AM
My range closed most on 2020 and part of 2021. Open again but not as much shooting.

Winger Ed.
08-26-2022, 01:51 AM
Oh yeah.

Gun stores and shooting ranges are considered essential in Texas, so ours didn't close during COVID.

I'd always go to our range during the week when it's just a few old retired guys there.
There'd usually be one or two, a few times even three people there when it got close to deer season.

Since the prices of ammo went crazy-- out of the last 5-6 times I've gone,
and I stay at least a couple hours, there has only been one guy there.
He was sighting in a scope. 10-12 shots, and he was done.

And darn near no brass on the ground or in the range scrap metal can for it.

Bad Ass Wallace
08-26-2022, 01:59 AM
Haven't stopped my recreational shooting, just changed to smaller guns, 25/20, 32/20, 218Bee and 22 Hornet that give more bang for your buck.

https://i.imgur.com/6AFUHJMl.jpg

Hick
08-26-2022, 02:40 AM
We have a really good range open year round in Winnemucca - and I haven't noticed any real change in usage. Last year the range added 2 more pistol bays (up from 2 to 4) and often they are all in use. I visit twice a week during the week and its rare to be alone. Too busy on weekends to even bother unless you are early. Don't know if it is just bad timing on my part to hit busy periods, but recreational shooting in our area does not seem to be reduced.

imashooter2
08-26-2022, 03:18 AM
At the ICORE East Coast Regional last weekend there were only 51 entries and 43 that showed up. Normally there are twice that many. Casual shooters are all but gone.

Four-Sixty
08-26-2022, 03:58 AM
Our public range is no longer manned. The last two times I went I picked up so much brass that it was tiring. The number of people going has seemed to trend down to.

Milky Duck
08-26-2022, 04:49 AM
recreational shooting and hunting is on the decline...the PC brigade and the woke Karens of the world are making it harder and harder to recruit new people into the sports.... its crazy how the greens are so ANTI hunters when in effect we give them free control over animals that would otherwise get poisoned.
I have made a point of introducing as many to hunting or shooting as I can.... even last weekend away on SAR training weekend we had a couple of educational adhoc teaching sessions,how to unload rifle etc...and the opossum 75 yards from hut that got 7mm mag treatment with a thermal scope was eye opening too.....lots of little hot bits to see after the shot was fired LOL...
someone made mistake of telling me rifle was unloaded.....they were put right.
I made big show of making sure no bullets in rifle,then leaned it on fence,turned my back and had a pee...meanwhile accomplis loaded a round in rifle and put it back against fence...I turned back around "this rifle is unloaded,I can point it where ever I like" spectaters yelled NO its loaded...I replied "no its not I just unloaded it' pointed it in safe direction and fired it!!!!!! absolutely PRICELESS .... the white faces and looks of shock told me I had got point across.....
it works even better with a .12ga

deltaenterprizes
08-26-2022, 04:50 AM
I have not been to the range but a couple of times because of the extreme heat and when I went there was only a couple of people.
The ones that were there looked like they were planning to stay in little while.
I stay out of the extreme heat so I only stay about an hour and then I only shoot about 50 rounds.

Thundarstick
08-26-2022, 05:18 AM
I think the heat we've endured here(and continue to endure) have stifled a lot of outdoor activities, shooting included. Money is tighter as well.

barnabus
08-26-2022, 06:02 AM
they dont have that problem in the cities.lots of shooting there.

eastbank
08-26-2022, 06:24 AM
seems to be lots of targets in the hoods that don,t shoot back, for the gang bangers.

Shawlerbrook
08-26-2022, 06:34 AM
Between the decline in old shooters, less places to shoot, supply disruptions and inflation there is definitely less shooting here in rural Central NYS.

georgerkahn
08-26-2022, 06:42 AM
Between the decline in old shooters, less places to shoot, supply disruptions and inflation there is definitely less shooting here in rural Central NYS.

...as is in upper, upper NYS :(! Not to mention the new LAWS in NYS requiring such that it now is a chore (cased arms in one compartment of vehicle; all ammo in a separate, LOCKED case in another; NO firearms on any private property; "safe zones"; etc.) to go... Not that long ago I'd gently lay down a rifle or two behind seat of my pick-up; ammo in a coffee can or two on floor-board (passenger side) -- my box with glass, stapler, 'ears', and targets kept in rear) -- and off I'd go...
While the NRA touts a big victory from their support of ruling re handguns in New York City -- that decision resulted in Governor enacting some really excessive laws affecting ALL firearm owners -- 'special emphasis to pistol permiters -- since. (Thank you, NRA! You'll never ever again see as much as a penny from me!)

Half Dog
08-26-2022, 07:09 AM
I used to visit and support a local range. The last time I was there it cost me $43 for kiddo and I to shoot on their rifle range. I haven’t been back there since.

Land Owner
08-26-2022, 07:28 AM
Truth be told, I have not fully recovered from the '17 loss of my Reloading and Shooting Mentor, who for 25-years was my food-plot-for-wildlife, hunting, reloading, and firearm accurizing accomplice. The loss of a cherished friend, my shooting buddy, is a non-starter. Motivation went right out of the window.

I was stronger then but got bacterial pneumonia in February/March of '19 (before testing), just as it was being labeled "weaponized Covid-19", which was very bad, O2 deprived, stayed home 10-days with antibiotics, and recovered.

I got both viral and bacterial pneumonia in late '21, stayed home 10-days with antibiotics (as before), and Covid antibodies (from before), O2 deprived, very close-to-death, hospitalized, tested positive for Covid (-Delta I believe), 10-days in isolation, and recovered.

Then flu-like symptoms mid-'22, tested positive for Covid (-Omega I believe), that was a "piece of cake" & "sinus sniffles" by comparison, took antibiotics, and recovered in 4 days.

After-the-fact, Covid made me extremely tired, took months on the first two occurrences, to recover to a state that was not fully where I started. O2 depravation deletes memory and depresses cognitive brain function. Pneumonia induces shortness of breath. These diminish in time.

Recovering most assuredly sucked the wind out of my shooting, but NOT out of my casting!!! In a well-ventilated space, I have made thousands upon thousands of cast boolits in many calibers and tried my hand PC'ing over the past year! I have shot once or twice too, but nowhere near the frequency or quantity I once did.

Supply, demand, personal loss, kids grown and gone, and I don't need to because I am "not mad at the deer anymore" affect recreational shooting.

ioon44
08-26-2022, 07:43 AM
My local USPSA matches have about 50% less shooters than before Covid and the primer shortage. Tha IDPA matches are still about the same number of shooters and a lot of new shooters.

Handloader109
08-26-2022, 07:44 AM
I shoot here at home, but I've only been out once in a while, I try not to be out shooting when I have any customers due and I've been fairly busy along with avoiding the 100 degree heat in July and early August. Spring was actually really wet and kept me inside.
Neighbor and at least a couple of friends have fired off ARs magdumping in the past, I hear them once in a while, last weekend for sure, but over past 2 years, less often and less rounds, most probably due to prices... got a newish neighbor that has a couple of young adults that picked up a couple of handguns and have shot near their home a few times. I can easily hear them as it is straight line pasture between us.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
08-26-2022, 07:50 AM
I have powder, primers, and lead in abundance. But any primers I shoot it will cost 3 to 4 times as much to replace. Powder prices are coming down but still are trending higher than before. Lead is up and harder to find.

With Covid I got out of the habit of shooting and going to the range. And I have not pushed myself to get back to it.

If I really feel the need to shoot I can walk down into my basement and shoot airguns all afternoon long if that is what I want. Average cost per round is about 1.3 to 1.5 cents per round, and I have pellets stacked high wide and deep. No hauling heavy guns and gear to the truck, no driving, no hauling same stuff into the range, shoot for an hour then reverse the process.

I am not totally happy about it, but it is what it is.

10x
08-26-2022, 08:00 AM
Here the availability and cost of components is a real barrier to shooting. Primers are simply not available, Guys are starting to shoot much less and make every shot count.
There are many here who have no components and can not afford the price of powder and primers when they are available.

MrWolf
08-26-2022, 08:44 AM
I live in a rural area, the county population is roughly 37,000 people spread out over the 2nd or 3rd largest county in Oklahoma (McCurtain). I live in the county seat, a small town of 7,000 in population.

When the weather permits, I enjoy sitting on my back deck, watching squirrels, etc. The police range is roughly 1.3 miles to the south of me. I can easily hear when the range is in use, which is outside of city limits. There is a good deal of private property and it wasn't uncommon to hear a few shot's now and then out in the country. This is on a 3 to 4 times a week basis. I have heard fewer shots fired in the past year, than I once heard used to hear in a week's time. And yes, the price of ammunition being what it is, has brought a lot of shooting 'for fun' to a halt.

How is the situation in your area? Just curious.

Murphy

Pretty much as you described. The mountains carry sound and was very common to hear folks shooting much more than they are now. I know for me the work around here plus projects have been occupying a lot of my time. Keep saying soon when I can start reloading again. Soon...

Cargo
08-26-2022, 09:28 AM
Our local range is doing well, they just purchased a 9mm Tippman Gatling Gun to rent and they're well stocked on ammo. The range seems to be picking up since ammo is more accessible and affordable.

As far as backyard plinking goes we used to hear the occasional 22lr or 410 on a snake or squirrel but since our small town of 7k jumped to 7k + 8k illegal aliens we hear gunfire pretty often...

dverna
08-26-2022, 09:48 AM
I live in a rural area surrounded by State land. There has been less shooting.

Still no primers at the LGS 25 miles away but that would not have affected the people who shoot around me as no one reloads. IMO the cost of factory ammunition has had the most effect.

I do not go to public ranges anymore so cannot comment.

contender1
08-26-2022, 10:03 AM
In general, looking at the big picture,, yes,, recreational shooting has declined somewhat.
With Covid,, many places (regulated) ranges have either shut down, or limited hours etc. And the ones that stay open struggle to pay the bills.
And with Covid,, the panic pandemic, causing many people to just stay home or whatever,, reduced activity in general.

Then, throw in the politics where there's been a shortage of ammo & handloading components all while combining the fact that there was a rush on the supplies by all shooters. We had an influx of around 8 million new gun owners in a short timeframe. They bought ammo,, NOT understanding the sudden increase in cost due to this crap. Many new gun owners just thought that $1-$2 a round for ammo was "normal." AND they still pay it.

Casual shooting due to the lack of supplies,, AND the increased expanse has declined.

Throw in the loss of places to shoot,, along with the "woke" crowd & such trying to vilify gun owners has not helped. The media, the politicians, etc all have pushed an agenda of a negative stigma associated with shooting.

My local range saw a hard drop in USPSA competition due to the lack of supplies & the covid crap.

Luckily,, the owner is stubborn & will not give up & close down,, so that his "Grandfather Clause" of having the range active won't expire. Fewer places to shoot, and the anti's gain ground against us.

Out in the rural areas,, it too has declined due to the lack of ammo or supplies. But it's also gotten to where even casual rural plinking causes somebody to call the police,, and create some hassles.

But one of our worst enemies is in our own camp. Vista Outdoors. They have 3 of the 4 manufacturing plants for primers. A monopoly. And they would much rather build & sell ammo than reloading primers. And they also look at the big contracts from the military, the government agencies, and the state & local LEO agencies. Why bother trying to sell small quantities of product to normal gun shops,, when compared to selling big contracts. Handling the sales stuff for the average gun shops out there costs them in the number of employees, the handling & advertising, & all other ways required to service such places.
It's business economics 101.
Sell to a lot to a few big places,, instead of trying to sell a little to a lot of little places.

Vista Outdoors has us by the short hairs.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-26-2022, 10:04 AM
Haven't stopped my recreational shooting, just changed to smaller guns, 25/20, 32/20, 218Bee and 22 Hornet that give more bang for your buck.

https://i.imgur.com/6AFUHJMl.jpg

B.A.-- that's an interesting photo. What's going on there? Could you identify the cartridges for us.....and what's the story on that first casing with the double shoulder or ring around the neck?

DG

imashooter2
08-26-2022, 10:28 AM
...as is in upper, upper NYS :(! Not to mention the new LAWS in NYS requiring such that it now is a chore (cased arms in one compartment of vehicle; all ammo in a separate, LOCKED case in another; NO firearms on any private property; "safe zones"; etc.) to go... Not that long ago I'd gently lay down a rifle or two behind seat of my pick-up; ammo in a coffee can or two on floor-board (passenger side) -- my box with glass, stapler, 'ears', and targets kept in rear) -- and off I'd go...
While the NRA touts a big victory from their support of ruling re handguns in New York City -- that decision resulted in Governor enacting some really excessive laws affecting ALL firearm owners -- 'special emphasis to pistol permiters -- since. (Thank you, NRA! You'll never ever again see as much as a penny from me!)

That’s a pretty long jump to blaming the NRA for your Governor's idiocy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-26-2022, 10:43 AM
I noticed the start of a decline of recreational shooting at my Private club since the 22LR shortage of 2014. Then the decline of recreational shooting sharpened in months after the St George Floyd riots, which is strange, because there was a reported nationwide increase in first time gun owners during this time...but I suspect my rural area isn't represented in that statistic.

rockrat
08-26-2022, 11:07 AM
With Covid and ammo shortages, saw a big drop off at our range. Many a time that I went, nobody to be seen but now, might be one or two at the range. Now that ammo has come back somewhat and prices come down, it seems there are more shooters, but not near as many as pre-c and cheaper ammo. Ammo dumpers might fire off 100-200 rounds, where before it might be 3-4 hundred. A lot more 22 rimfire shooters

Mal Paso
08-26-2022, 11:17 AM
Almost 20 years ago I bought forest property in northern ca. Any time I shot my 44s someone in the valley would start shooting too. I never met them but we a lot of range days like that. It's been dead quiet for a few years now and I miss it.

My local range has been closed for weeks due to the annual Car Week. Now the the Ferraris and touring cars are gone we get the range back. I'm headed there NOW!

Murphy
08-26-2022, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies friends.

My shooting dropped off tremendously several years back. The closest public range is 35 miles away. It's a decent place and I really shouldn't complain, it beats no place at all to shoot. I guess I became spoiled years ago when we had a private club in our area. I spent many days there, a lot of them alone. Then due to mis-management we lost the land we were leasing. Some time passed and a public range opened about 15 miles from me. Sadly, people abused it to no end. Broken beer bottles, etc. And then there were the bad actors (druggies) who seemed to always show up. It was a crap shoot every time I went there. May not be anyone there, may be a few actual shooters who practiced safe gun handling. Other times, I'd have been better off just turning around and coming back home. Kind of hard to focus on shooting in a setting like that.

I do have one place I can get to within 15 miles behind a locked gate, thank goodness. On the other hand, getting to it depends a lot on the weather. My friend had a good backstop built 200 yards out from his shop. Now the bad part, getting to it at times. It's pasture land and gets slippery quick after bit of rain.

Now the good news. Hopefully between today and tomorrow I'll be checking out a couple of places friends have offered to let me shoot on. A good friend and I will be going to take a look at them. With a little luck, I'll finally have a place I can once again practice shooting in private and not be concerned with yahoo's showing up.

Murphy

WRideout
08-26-2022, 01:10 PM
The Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club is about fifteen minutes from my house, and is a fine facility with pistol, rifle, and trap ranges. There used to be several nearby unsupervised ranges on State Gamelands near here, but most were closed down and demolished a few years ago. The Game Commission still maintains a very nice rifle and pistol range at Gameland 203, which is supervised and maintained. Game Commission regulations forbid shooting at random on any gameland, so unless you have permission to use private property, or are near a range operated by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, you are out of luck.
Wayne

pworley1
08-26-2022, 01:55 PM
Out in the country where I live shooting is very common, but is not as common as it was in years past.

Electrod47
08-26-2022, 03:26 PM
Out in the country where I live shooting is very common, but is not as common as it was in years past.

My experience also

JoeJames
08-26-2022, 03:34 PM
I shoot here at home, but I've only been out once in a while, I try not to be out shooting when I have any customers due and I've been fairly busy along with avoiding the 100 degree heat in July and early August. Spring was actually really wet and kept me inside.
Neighbor and at least a couple of friends have fired off ARs magdumping in the past, I hear them once in a while, last weekend for sure, but over past 2 years, less often and less rounds, most probably due to prices... got a newish neighbor that has a couple of young adults that picked up a couple of handguns and have shot near their home a few times. I can easily hear them as it is straight line pasture between us.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have not gone to a pistol range in ages - used to shoot with the East Arkansas Peace Officers Assn. Now I shoot off my porch steps, or other spots on my place, or over at cousins' backyard ranges.

Eddie Southgate
08-26-2022, 03:54 PM
I'm shooting about the same , whenever I feel like it . I can't answer for anybody else around here since I have only been here about nine months and don't know what normal here is . I hear plenty of shooting so I'm thinking those that want to shoot have figured out how to be able to do it.

atr
08-26-2022, 05:03 PM
The range is only about 3 miles from my house and I can hear the shots when the range is being used. I have noticed a decline in the amount or recreational shooting. Guys who were regulars at the range I don't see anymore. I can also tell that much less shooting is taking place as range brass has pretty much disappeared.
I too have both cut back and also got into more shooting with my smaller caliber rifles.
I still have a decent supply of primers and powder but I am not burning through it as fast as I used to.

FISH4BUGS
08-26-2022, 05:28 PM
I live in a small Nh town of about 3500 people. Lots of open land out here, and I can hear people shooting a LOT on the weekends, and sometimes weekdays too. Occasionally someone must shoot with their morning coffer at 9 or so.
Haven't noticed a slowdown at all.

JSnover
08-26-2022, 05:59 PM
My range closed most on 2020 and part of 2021. Open again but not as much shooting.
Covid forced most of the ranges and clubs near me to go private. Fort Dix has a decent setup and I get a military retiree discount but it's about an hour away. For most of the last two years attendance was down but the last two months it seems to be picking up a little.

30calflash
08-26-2022, 06:37 PM
I've heard of one club cancelling their action pistol events due to low turnout, was told it could be the cost of fuel and ammo/components.

One club I belong to is 6 miles away and there's a few regulars there for a couple hours on Sunday am. I've not been there at other times so unsure on usage then.

bimus
08-26-2022, 08:33 PM
Until I can replace what I shoot I don't shoot .

barnabus
08-26-2022, 09:18 PM

you prolly havnt been a member for years or ever. you blame the NRA but refuse to leave a state that controls you.

contender1
08-26-2022, 09:34 PM
"That’s a pretty long jump to blaming the NRA for your Governor's idiocy."

The NRA backed a NY Gun Association in it's lawsuit against the state. And when you have a politician lose something,, while they still have controls,, they get upset & see whatever they can do to get revenge upon those who disagree with them.

I have the answer.

VOTE THEM OUT!
Then, Vote in GOOD people, and get the laws changed.

It's easy to roll over, and point the blame finger at someone else. It's harder to stand up & FIGHT for your rights.

Catshooter
08-27-2022, 12:07 AM
contender1,

He's in NY state. Vote them out? Good luck with that in many states.

Don't get me wrong, he's blaming the NRA (who hasn't seen a penny from me for YEARS) for his governor's actions and that's just a fine example of someone incapable of connecting cause to effect. As another poster pointed out he's the one who still lives there.

But voting them out only works in some states. Certainly not NY. Or California, or New Jersey, or . . .

jsizemore
08-27-2022, 02:26 AM
There's still shooting everyday by my neighbors. The amount shot has gone down. There's shooting all day during daylight hours. It drops off during hunting season which starts Labor day through the New Year. The AK, AR, pistol, and LE shooters keep up the same pace year round. All shoot on individual private ranges.

Rich/WIS
08-27-2022, 10:03 AM
Definitely less than befoe the current craziness, but I belong to a private range and there never were a lot of shooters there before this all started. Checked ot the public range and on weekends was still seeing a lot of use, weekdays slower. Also have noticed both here and at my club in WI that there was a lot of activity in the Spring when good shooting weather returned and then tapered off in the summer and picked up in the Fall with hunting season coming. Not many reloaders here or at my old club so suspect the price/availability of ammo was the big factor in reducing range time.

TurnipEaterDown
08-27-2022, 10:06 AM
Ranges I go to: more people than before Stasi19 or Jose Bidet.
Of course, now it is a very 223 world, and that along w/ some 9x19 and 450 Bush is about all you find for brass.

rbuck351
08-27-2022, 11:53 AM
I have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my life and a 150 yd range in my yard. Most of my neighbors shoot at their own ranges but their shooting has declined some in the last year or so.

Big Tom
08-27-2022, 12:15 PM
I am member in a 25 yard indoor range that I go to pretty much every Sunday with my son. Some weekends, it is crowded, sometimes only a few more shooters there. Also member in a outdoor range club (200 yards max) and attendance there is close to what it was before Covid/crazy prices. Fortunately, financially, I can afford the crazy prices, but also have a good stockpile of components, so I don't shoot less, reload the same amounts as ever. Only problem is really that in Ohio, bumpfire stocks are legal again and my son and I love going through 200-300 rds of .223 every time we go :-(

MUSTANG
08-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Went to the range yesterday late morning (Friday ~10AM). Was pleasantly surprised to see what could only be described as "Dad's Day Out" with the boys. There were 6 adults (Dads?) and 14 young men (10 to 16 estimated ages). All were shooting a variety of .22LR to 300 Win Mag rifles. 1st time I have seen this over the last 3 year or so period. It was good to see; even if it did disrupt my normal range visits where I was the only one there.

Three44s
08-28-2022, 09:50 AM
I am a rancher. I can literally shoot off my porch if I want to, That is before the boating accident.

As to others, a boundary of an Indian Reservation is close by and a couple miles east there is a remote area where non-native folks trespass and pre-high prices for ammo, would go and just dump ammo in huge quantities.

You do not hear that anymore.

Before the boat accident, I was hardly shooting at all but like BA Wallace, I also just worked with small cartridges like the .22 hornet and .25-20 Win.

The only problem is it still takes those pesky little jewels called primers. My lead and powder, until it went in the “drink” was plentiful.

Three44s

shooterg
09-04-2022, 03:29 PM
We have same numbers of folks(we have keycarded gate so we have numbers) but the volume of shots fired is way down. The spray and pray folks may be learning marksmanship now !
Action shooting went to pot, but most competitors were not Club members .
See many more 9mm cases left on the ground lately as the cost has dropped back a bit.

armoredman
09-04-2022, 09:01 PM
Was at the local range this morning. Same number of people, lots of rounds going downrange. We really didn't have a slowdown during COVID, etc., not like the slowdown we had in '08. Weird.

Cosmic_Charlie
09-07-2022, 02:04 PM
I do most of my shooting in the boondocks, where the gun handling is seldom alarming. Have been to a club a few times recently and it has been quiet.