PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite splitting axe?

farmbif
08-24-2022, 09:22 PM
well friends its about time to get the woodshed filled for winter. do any of you have a favorite splitting axe design or does everyone just use a gas driven hydraulic splitter. ive got a real good pile of oak and hickory trees dried out and ready to be bucked and split. as the weather cools a bit its time to get to it.
several years ago I got this hybrid design splitting maul with about a 1/2" rib coming up through the sides that has worked pretty good.

hawkenhunter50
08-24-2022, 09:25 PM
Best one I ever used was a friends. It was called a Chopper. Had built in wedges and man that thing could split some wood. Not sure if they're made anymore but worked pretty slick.

Winger Ed.
08-24-2022, 09:37 PM
What little bit of that I've ever done, has been short logs about a foot thick.
I liked the one that has a ax on one side, and a sledge hammer on the other.

That round cast iron 'wood grenade' along with a regular sledge hammer did OK too.

Markopolo
08-24-2022, 09:48 PM
I love the fiskars splitting axe. I split about 20 cords a season with one of those.. old growth stuff. It takes an edge very well, and the handle is purt near indestructible.

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/axes-mauls-and-machetes/splitting-axe-28-375591-1001

Hope this helps. Everybody’s needs are different.

Outpost75
08-24-2022, 10:23 PM
I have kept a Snow & Kneeley kindling axe in my kit for 50 years. Still works.

jakharath
08-24-2022, 10:24 PM
I second the Fiskars. Best money I've ever spent on an axe.

BLAHUT
08-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Hand split a lot when i was younger, double bit ax, then a splitting mall, now a power splitter,
i am old with a bad back..

Walks
08-24-2022, 10:44 PM
I've had 2 Sears axes. First a Hudsons Bay I bought in 1975 and a fiberglass handled maul I bought with first house in 1982.
Had a hatchet from My Step- Grandfather that I was given at 10yrs old. And another with a back hammer when My Grandma passed in 1979. Neither have Makers names on them. Split a whole lot of kindling with both.
All have seen hard use. Had to replace all 3 wood handles.

Dave W.
08-24-2022, 10:44 PM
I favor an old Collins double bit. At the prices I see these antiques fetch, should probably sell it, but have had it for over 50 years.
Also have a Collins single bit that somebody tossed because one of the sides was broken. Took the head, welded the eye back together and put another handle in it. It is a good ax but the double bit fits my hands better.

ruger1980
08-24-2022, 11:39 PM
The kind I like the best is the one someone else is using....LOL

Minerat
08-24-2022, 11:46 PM

^^^+1^^^ I was going to say the one in my brothers hands.

Gewehr-Guy
08-25-2022, 06:58 AM
Years ago we used a Monster Maul, it had a huge wedge shaped head, and a steel pipe for a handle. I think it was sold by the Sotz company, that made those barrel stove kits. Probably out of business by now. It was only used on the worst piece of elm or big cottonwood. Now I would like to try one of those screw style splitters.

rancher1913
08-25-2022, 07:02 AM
i prefer one with a gas engine.

Wag
08-25-2022, 07:04 AM
We always used a splittin' hammer. My granddaddy taught us how to use it and we never looked back.

Get the right one, though. It needs to have a very good wood handle with the axe-eye style insert into the hammer head. The head itself needs to be concave along the sides, not convex. About a six or eight pound hammer will do. I avoid fiberglass handles because they will vibrate the crap out of your hands. Painful.

Sometimes, you'll see them called splitting mauls but same rules apply. Don't get a convex hammer head.

This is close to what I'm trying to describe: https://hammersource.com/6-lb-axe-eye-style-splitting-maul-with-a-36-american-hickory-handle/

Anything else is just gimmicky and a waste of time, money, effort and strength.

--Wag--

45_Colt
08-25-2022, 07:31 AM
Years ago we used a Monster Maul, it had a huge wedge shaped head, and a steel pipe for a handle. I think it was sold by the Sotz company, that made those barrel stove kits.

^^this^^ One came with the house and have been using it for years. It splits wood about the best a manual device can.

45_Colt

MrWolf
08-25-2022, 07:47 AM
You are gonna laugh but with my back, etc being a he man kinda stopped awhile back. I had heard about an electric splitter. Think mine is a Ryobi and is at least 15 years old. Stays on my front porch to make kindling or re-split larger logs. You would be surprised at what these can split. Mine is small enough to fit on a tailgate (truck or utv). Something to consider if it fits your situation. Good luck.
Ron

schutzen-jager
08-25-2022, 07:50 AM
gave up on axes + only use a quality maul either wood or fiberglass handle -

jonp
08-25-2022, 08:29 AM
Always used a 6 or 8lb maul but getting older has me looking at a splitting axe. Aside from the expensive ones like Hults the Fiskers gets very good reviews

Tazman1602
08-25-2022, 10:47 AM
Best one I ever used (keep in mind this was 35 years ago….) was when I was younger and in terrific shape (nothing had broken…yet) was called a Monster Maul. I had tried all kinds of things, regular mauls which I hated would often stick in the wood and you’d have to beat it through with a sledge, as did the ones with “wings” for lack of a better word that were supposed to blow the wood apart. We were too young and broke to afford a hydraulic splitter and one day my neighbor lent me his….all 12lbs. Yes it was a monster to heft but when you’re 30, in great shape and HAD to use wood to heat it was a Godsend. Had almost 45° angle, never stuck, and wasn’t to bad once you got used to it.

Keep in mind most of our wood at the time came from woodlots and there was still a goodly amount of dead elm up here and that stuff was tough…

Art

PS —- can’t believe you can still get one:

https://www.amazon.com/Truper-32415-12-Pound-Splitting-27-Inch/dp/B000KL4V04/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5yYBhAjEiwAKXk_eEbqNUbXg J5Rfk9P4C1mEhh2GVg4sIInZCv4se7v4CRhiXuThA1oHRoClyk QAvD_BwE&hvadid=178537453570&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9017602&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7701893358799769940&hvtargid=kwd-22203754964&hydadcr=23636_9938370&keywords=monster+maul+wood+splitter&qid=1661439124&sr=8-3

Mal Paso
08-25-2022, 11:14 AM
It Depends on the Wood! What works great on one tree may be awful on another. I've split wood for 58 years and like gas powered 20 ton or better.

If the wood is stringy you'll need a couple wedges too. The second wedge is to get the first one out.

rbuck351
08-25-2022, 11:21 AM
I was splitting wood with a normal splitting maul when my wife came home from a shopping spree. She told me to look in the back seat of the car. She had bought a 5 ton electric log splitter. After a quick look I asked her if it was some kind of joke. I had to eat a bit of humble pie as it turned out to be a very good splitter. That was ten or twelve years ago and it's all I use now.

I built a stand to set it on about chair height and I use it while sitting in a chair. I don't have much hard wood in my area so most firewood is pine, fir, larch or spruce. It has worked well on the little hard wood I have used it on. It was $250 very well spent.

Hannibal
08-25-2022, 11:27 AM

This echoes my thoughts precisely.

Markopolo
08-25-2022, 07:17 PM
That monster maul looks heavy…. I don’t know how long I could swing something like that. That’s what I love the fiscars. It is light enough to swing for hours, and strong enough for old growth trees.

Mk42gunner
08-25-2022, 08:35 PM
I've never really found an axe that totally satisfies me for splitting; it seems like all the ones I find around here are built for chopping.

Robert

justindad
08-25-2022, 08:44 PM
Stack multiple logs up inside a car tire, so they’re held together while you split them.
If you can’t split the log in the first cut, stick a wedge in the cut and drive that with the blunt end of the maul. The wedge is amazing.
Make kindling by using a hatchet as a wedge, and smack the back of the hatchet with a 2lb mallet.
Don’t use an axe, unless you’re cutting the tree down.

NyFirefighter357
08-25-2022, 10:11 PM
Years ago we used a Monster Maul, it had a huge wedge shaped head, and a steel pipe for a handle. I think it was sold by the Sotz company, that made those barrel stove kits. Probably out of business by now. It was only used on the worst piece of elm or big cottonwood. Now I would like to try one of those screw style splitters.

I have both these items. The screw splitter was called the stickler, it's in my garage attic. The Monster maul I got from my friend. I use the maul a couple times a year for fire pit wood but that stickler hasn't seen a log in 40yrs. It's in the original box with 2 size mounting plates. If I split more than a few logs I use a gas splitter.

Alstep
08-25-2022, 10:41 PM
I've been using one similar to that described in post #14. Around these parts we call it a "go devil".
My father bought it around 1950 and we're still using it. The handle's been cut down to around 2 feet long. Makes it a lot handier.
The go devil has been retired since I've been retired, and replaced with a 28 ton hydraulic machine. That thing will go through the nastiest piece of hardwood with ease.

ulav8r
08-25-2022, 11:41 PM
The good things about the 12 LB monster maul is that it won't stick and you don't have to swing it. Just get it vertical above your head and give it a slight push down. I quit splitting wood about 25 years ago.

trebor44
08-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Harbor Freight "axe" makes for a great splitting "maul". Not something I would call an axe for cutting down a tree etc. Note: it would be lightweight and you could 'baton' it with a 'mashie' (small sledge)!

white eagle
08-26-2022, 10:13 AM
I have a 27 ton Hurricane that I use
however when I do pick up and ax I use a double bit most of the time

Silvercreek Farmer
08-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Depends on the wood. I mostly use an 8lb maul with a fiberglass handle. I like the fact I can leave it by the tree I am working on, and split a few rounds when I have a little time. Nice that you can also bang a wedge with it, if needed.

I do have a small forest axe I use from time to time. Not sure why, but sometimes the narrow profile and higher speed just seem to do the trick, especially in cherry.

I tried a “Chopper” axe, the results were dramatic, as the wings sent the wood flying, but it didn’t seem any easier and transferred more shock to my hands than a maul.

I’ve heated my house with hand split (by me) for nearly 20 years. I’ll keep doing it by hand for as long as I can. I refer to it as my “gym membership”. I recently added storm windows and weather stripping to hopefully reduce the amount I need to split each year.

Misery-Whip
08-26-2022, 05:42 PM
As long as your wood isnt twisted, or big knots, or soaking wet here is a 3rd vote for the fiskars splitting axe. Its actually engineered, with a light head and long handle I dont have trouble swinging it all day. I get more tired from bending over than swinging this axe. Every well placed swing in good wood is a split.

Start getting into big knots it doesnt have the weight to plow thru. Then the 8lb maul, the wedges and the real work starts.

Rapier
08-26-2022, 05:52 PM
I use log splitter wedgs and a 10# sledge- mall with a 12 # sledge hammer. But any more, now 76 after open heart, at the new house I use the remote control and the fancy gas logs. I hooked up gas to the new fire place. It is much easier. :-P

georgerkahn
08-26-2022, 05:59 PM
well friends its about time to get the woodshed filled for winter. do any of you have a favorite splitting axe design or does everyone just use a gas driven hydraulic splitter. ive got a real good pile of oak and hickory trees dried out and ready to be bucked and split. as the weather cools a bit its time to get to it.
several years ago I got this hybrid design splitting maul with about a 1/2" rib coming up through the sides that has worked pretty good.

I've been heating with wood since 1976. I started with hand splitting Stihl cut wood, using a bevy of "splitters" ranging from mauls to wedges to pointy-cone devices to even one which attaches to a tractor wheel and spins to engage/split. After a decade I invested in a DR Electric which worked remarkably well. Almost simultaneously with it getting tired, a colleague at work was being divorced and wanted to turn many of his "toys" into cash -- so I got quite the deal on a TroyBilt 27 ton Honda-powered gasoline splitter. This is my "main-stay". However, I still use a Gransfor Bruks maul -- 'specially when I cut one or two trees and do not wish to bother getting out (from shed where it has been run out of fuel and sprayed with silicon) the TroyBilt. A note which may be a good hint for those who hadn't -- I have an automobile tire lying on it's side and stand the wood to be split in it. If I "miss" the maul hits the ribber tire side -- no foul!; and, when the wood is successfully split it doesn't fly all over -- making the job quicker. From the photo you can see the Granfor Bruks has a metal protector on handle, too. A tad costly -- BUT -- imho, compared with more than four decades of "trying everything"... it is (to me) the best.303541

atr
08-26-2022, 06:08 PM
A "Plumb", single edge

imashooter2
08-27-2022, 12:51 AM
An 8 pound maul with fiberglass handle from the Home Depot. Best balance between head speed and momentum for me.

GregLaROCHE
08-27-2022, 02:15 AM
^^^+1^^^ I was going to say the one in my brothers hands.

I enjoy work. I can watch it all day long!

Milky Duck
08-27-2022, 04:35 AM
true temper canadian
plum
a hydrolic splitter is great..but an old school hand axe is a wonderful thing.
that block of wood that is just too big to fit in fire can be sorted with a couple of strokes .wouldnt want to have to crank up a motor to do that.

bedbugbilly
08-27-2022, 08:41 AM
I used a splitting mall for years as well as a wedge if needed.

Now these days - my "favorite" is the one somebody else is using. :-)

brass410
08-27-2022, 10:10 AM
after cutting and splitting semi-truck loads of log firewood for 35 yrs I got a wood proccesser, cuts splits and dumps to a pile, best thing I have done, in two days I can do what used to take nearly 2 weeks.

beemer
08-27-2022, 10:43 AM
Used a splitting maul for years, called them a go-devil. The handle was shot so I bought a Truper splitting axe. It has wings cast into the sides and works well. Have a gas powered splitter that I like better all the time. I keep a sledge and wedges to crack one I don't want to move.

Years ago my Dad gave me a monster sotz maul that he picked up at a flea market. It's been setting in the corner of the shed for 30 years never touched.

GregLaROCHE
08-28-2022, 02:05 AM
after cutting and splitting semi-truck loads of log firewood for 35 yrs I got a wood proccesser, cuts splits and dumps to a pile, best thing I have done, in two days I can do what used to take nearly 2 weeks.

How much do you have to pay for one of those wood processors?

Milky Duck
08-28-2022, 04:21 AM
The handle was shot so I bought a Truper splitting axe. .

man....you would be surprised how many times Ive heard this over the years.....I learnt to "hang'' an axe at very young age....at a guess Ive rehandled 15-20 over the years,sledge hammers,log splitters,slashers,shovels,pitch forks....
early years I used a rasp or a chopping motion with either a machete or meat cleaver....these days a flapper wheel on the angle grinder gets the nod...holy smoke it is quick......a branch of blue gum makes a good handle too..... cut a few and poke in rafters of the shed to dry out.... getting the broken bit of handle out of the head can be problimatic...drill out as much as you can and burn out the rest....Ive done it in the house fire....only leave it in for long enough to poke out the wooden bit then CAREFULLY hook it out with poker and CAREFULLY remove it to safe place...CAREFUL as its plurry hot and will burn like billyoh if you drop it on anything....Ive never felt the temper of axe has been compromised doing this.....

jonp
08-28-2022, 08:16 AM
How much do you have to pay for one of those wood processors?

The big ones will run over $50,000 and I've seen a few models in the $70,000 range. A good used one will set you back $15-$20k but you can get deals like everything else.

GregLaROCHE
08-29-2022, 01:47 AM
The big ones will run over $50,000 and I've seen a few models in the $70,000 range. A good used one will set you back $15-$20k but you can get deals like everything else.

That’s over my budget, but thanks for the info.

beemer
08-30-2022, 08:57 PM
man....you would be surprised how many times Ive heard this over the years.....I learnt to "hang'' an axe at very young age....at a guess Ive rehandled 15-20 over the years,sledge hammers,log splitters,slashers,shovels,pitch forks....
early years I used a rasp or a chopping motion with either a machete or meat cleaver....these days a flapper wheel on the angle grinder gets the nod...holy smoke it is quick......a branch of blue gum makes a good handle too..... cut a few and poke in rafters of the shed to dry out.... getting the broken bit of handle out of the head can be problimatic...drill out as much as you can and burn out the rest....Ive done it in the house fire....only leave it in for long enough to poke out the wooden bit then CAREFULLY hook it out with poker and CAREFULLY remove it to safe place...CAREFUL as its plurry hot and will burn like billyoh if you drop it on anything....Ive never felt the temper of axe has been compromised doing this.....

I worked in a furniture factory almost 50 years and had access to all I needed to make handles, I made handles from scratch for the company as well as employees personal tools. Axes, sledges, pitch forks, hoes, mauls, hatchets, hammers, knives, handsaws, cant hooks, pressure cookers and most likely a few I forgot about or want to forget about. I still do one in my shop for something special. I do have a handle for the go-devil in the rafters and will fit it to have a spare. Fact is sometimes I just don't feel like messing with it.

All that being said I, like you feel that it is a skill worth having. I have saved a few really nice tool from being scrapped. The really hard one is a hand saw, I made a few fancy ones but unless it's special I will not touch it.

My Dad was setting in my junky little shop one day watching me hang a handle for his axe. He said his grandfather ran a grist mill for a living. He had a shaving horse and a few tools, during slow times he made handles for customers, I guess I got it honest. He would drive an axe in the ground and leave the eye exposed and build a small fire around it.

Milky Duck
08-31-2022, 02:05 AM
beemer...reading that has made my day,thankyou.
strange thing is,for years it has been cheaper to buy a new axe...than to buy a new handle to put in the old one....

William Yanda
08-31-2022, 07:44 AM
We heat with natural gas but on occasion I help my son and sil split wood. My favorite splitting tool is not an axe. I use a petunk, go-devil or splitting maul, tapered on one side, sledge hammer on the other, and a steel wedge. They come in two styles, axe eye or round eye. Both my son and sil have gas powered hydraulic splitters so I can save the tough stuff for them. However, they are set up backwards, pushing the wedge toward a stop. If the cylinder pushed a pad toward the wedge, the pieces could just fall away, saving some handling.

10x
09-02-2022, 08:58 AM

71 years old, arthritis, knees and lower back are impaired.
My favorite splitting axe is the axe used by some one younger while I bring them coffee...

jgstrug
09-02-2022, 10:11 AM
71 years old, arthritis, knees and lower back are impaired.
My favorite splitting axe is the axe used by some one younger while I bring them coffee...I thought you were going to say a hydraulic splitter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

09-02-2022, 10:28 AM
I use one of those things Gewehr-guy mentioned. Prefer it to hydraulic splitters, actually.

Gray Fox
09-02-2022, 10:45 AM
I've got an 18" diameter southern maple that came down in a spring storm. Once i get it cut into the correct fireplace length rounds what would folks recommend to split it with? GF

farmbif
09-02-2022, 01:31 PM
I was just watching an expert on YouTube. buckin billy ray, what a guy, he was demonstrating his technique using several different axe designs. very interesting stuff. one thing I learned is to start from the edges on really tough wood. ive alway started at the center of a round and sometimes the axe or maul just bounces off until about the 10th swing.
I'm a million pushups away from doing what he does but if I can get out and do just a little axe or maul splitting its much better for me than sitting in a chair and not trying to do anything. my back is going to hurt no matter what and lord knows I could always benefit from more physical activity. even if it ends with me laying in the mud. those granfor bruk are some some very fine tools but I make do with what I have. got some parts yesterday and going to rebuild a couple tired broken chainsaws

todd9.3x57
09-02-2022, 02:33 PM
back when i was young (and dumb) for firewood, i used a 8 or 10 lb(i forget) maul axe. i still have it, but its sitting in my shed. i use propane gas for raditor heat, hot water and stove. it used to be coal heat, electric hot water tank and electic stove, but the old coal stove broke and i (well, the private company workers did) put in propane gas.

Milky Duck
09-02-2022, 04:14 PM
good buddy of mine has made one up for himself....strange design a bit like a hamilton crane.... a stand on ground with long arm out over your chopping block,fixed on arm is the heavy splitting wedge and the arm is sprung so it takes the weight of wedge...yuo can lift wedge easily then bring it back done quickly....because the springs hold the weight its very easy to use.... designs out there on the net.

jonp
09-03-2022, 07:29 AM
I was just watching an expert on YouTube. buckin billy ray, what a guy, he was demonstrating his technique using several different axe designs. very interesting stuff. one thing I learned is to start from the edges on really tough wood. ive alway started at the center of a round and sometimes the axe or maul just bounces off until about the 10th swing.
I'm a million pushups away from doing what he does but if I can get out and do just a little axe or maul splitting its much better for me than sitting in a chair and not trying to do anything. my back is going to hurt no matter what and lord knows I could always benefit from more physical activity. even if it ends with me laying in the mud. those granfor bruk are some some very fine tools but I make do with what I have. got some parts yesterday and going to rebuild a couple tired broken chainsaws

I subscribe to his channel.

beemer
09-05-2022, 09:50 PM
I've got an 18" diameter southern maple that came down in a spring storm. Once i get it cut into the correct fireplace length rounds what would folks recommend to split it with? GF

When I have something heavier or bigger than I can handle I quarter it with a couple wedges and a sledge. You can always start the split with a chainsaw.

daengmei
09-05-2022, 10:28 PM
He would drive an axe in the ground and leave the eye exposed and build a small fire around it.
Grandpa taught me that too.

beemer
09-06-2022, 10:34 AM
Grandpa taught me that too.

Old folks can be amazing people but you have to take time to listen, they know stuff.

metricmonkeywrench
09-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Growing up summer tasks along with hay bailing included gathering the firewood to heat the farmhouse for the winter. There was not much hand splitting done, what was not cut to length with a chainsaw (using old engine oil as a bar lube) was run across a verry verry not OSHA approved 48in (i think) tractor PTO leather belt driven circular saw and sliding table, then turned and quartered on the saw if the piece was still too big. There was a whole family assembly line involved. Us youngins were on the far side out of the "danger zone" stacking what the adults tossed our way. From helping grandpa i learned about sharpening teeth and setting the blade.

We don't have much use for firewood around the house except for the backyard firepit in the fall. Most of the collected wood is from fallen trees on the property and split with an old True Temper maul, sledge and wedge and an axe rescued from my time in the military. In typical government fashion it was easier to procure and entire complete axe than just to get a replacement handle so I obtained the axe head and a 20lb sledge head from the scrap metal pile years ago. No particular markings and it has taken me a a few years of use and sharpening to clean up where the edge was abused by a bench grinder.

The challenge anymore is finding wood handles. Most "home improvement" places around here give you a funny look and point you to the racks of new tools when you ask about replacement handles. I hate ordering stuff like this on line since most of it is mass produced and i want to look at the straightness and how the grain is laid in the handle.

daengmei
09-06-2022, 01:52 PM
finding wood handles
Off topic a bit here but I did get the brush hook my Gramps had. (according to Wiki it's antique, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush_hook ). No one knew what I was looking for when I needed a handle, it was broken from long ago. I finally found one that kinda fit, but that tool reminds me of so much.

lksmith
09-06-2022, 10:38 PM
20ton hydraulic spiltter is my favorite splitting axe ;)
Worth every penny of the $800 I paid for it new. What took me a week to do with a maul, I can do in an hour or two with the splitter. It's just the harbor freight model, not top of the line or the best design but even after sitting a year with the same gas starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. 1st or 2nd pull if been started recently. Only had it 8 years or so but still going strong. Looks like they're running around $1100 now due to bidenflation.

fixit
09-07-2022, 08:26 AM
Like many of you, I rehaft rather than replace. Old heads, when you can get them, are much better than the new ones, but the new ones are serviceable, but usually need work to do the job. Mauls in particular tend to have less than proper edge angles, and can require some serious reworking on a grinder or belt sander before you can get any real work done with them.

fixit
09-07-2022, 09:09 AM
Duplicate post

toallmy
09-07-2022, 10:03 AM
I have beat & banged on chunks of wood my entire life with everything under the sun , all I can say is thank goodness for the log splitter .

Thin Man
09-08-2022, 05:41 AM
My favorite splitting axe is the one I hand over to my son-in-law.

trebor44
09-08-2022, 08:43 AM
My favorite splitting axe is the one I hand over to my son-in-law.

Yeah, the only way to go!

KCSO
09-08-2022, 11:14 AM
I used a Fiskars splitting maul along with a wedge and maul for over 30 years. The sharpened Fiskars was even better than a monster maul. But we had to split a lot of twisty elm wood.

gwpercle
09-08-2022, 12:54 PM
The one that someone else is using to split wood for me .

The worst mistake I ever made was converting a gas fireplace back to it's original wood burning form . I thought a wood burning fireplace would be so nice . I went outside and all the neighbors were looking at my chimney and one said it must have been 30 years since we've seen smoke from that chimney ... it was converted to gas in the 1950's !
After a couple three winters I learned what a pain wood is ... cutting , splitting , hauling , stacking , keeping it dry , fighting termites ....hauling wood into the house ... I didn't have a clue so danged much work was involved ...
Turning on a gas valve and lighting the burner beats cutting and splitting firewood Seven Ways to Sunday !

Thank goodness for Home Depot and their sales on Fire Logs ... wood will work you to death !
Gary

openbook
09-08-2022, 01:51 PM
However, I still use a Gransfor Bruks maul -- 'specially when I cut one or two trees . . . 303541

A Gransfors Bruk splitting maul is my main tool. It's a 5.5 lb head and comes to you razor sharp. Holds an edge well and I tune it up with a fine stone after every use. My backup is a 10 lb sledge, unknown origin, I bought the head all rusted up at a yard sale and re-handled it, and three steel wedges. I've re-handled the sledge several times but the Gransfors Bruk maul is strong as can be and has that steel collar. Not even a crack after more than six years and all the cords it's split.

I heated exclusively with wood for three years, when we had a little cabin with an old-style natural circulation hearth percolator for the main heat, and a Franklin style wood stove in the master. Now we have a much larger house and use central heat, but we keep it low and run my grandfather's Buck stove insert in the living room and a Minute Man corner fan to push the air out into the rest of the house. We had power go out for several days and it got down to 14 degrees F outside, but we hung curtains in the living room and the family stayed warm. The main floor of the house even stayed in the low 50s.

The cabin had a great setup. The large brick hearth stood in the center of the house, and the master's wood stove shared the bricks on the other side of the wall. Even though there was no electric fan, when the percolator hearth got a good heat in it, it blew hot air out the top vents with force. Most times we didn't light the master wood stove because the bricks got hot enough from the main fireplace that the radiant heat kept it warm.

wade
09-08-2022, 07:38 PM
i split a lot of wood with a 3.5 lb axe once u get the hang of a slight angle when u swing u can split any wood

wade
09-08-2022, 07:51 PM
i split a lot of wood with a 3.5 lb axe once u get the hang of a slight angle when u swing u can split any wood