PDA

View Full Version : Test of 209 primer gas production

partsproduction
08-24-2022, 05:09 PM
Several years ago I found a website that listed the commercially available 209 primers that tested from a straight bore how far up the barrel a shell with just a primer would push a piston, the result being a gas production test.
If I recall correctly it tested 10 or 12 different 209 primers and came to the farthest distance consistently came from Cheddite 209 primers, and by a good distance farther.
My interest is based on a parlor pistol I bought years ago that uses 209 primers for propellant of a .177 lead BB. I hope to make my own pistol (The Pedersoli version doesn't have any sights) and want the best velocity from, let's say a 6" barrel.

I found a URL today surfing the net but my laptop went crazy warning me about viruses.

My question is; do any of you have the short listing of the primer brands and distances or velocities. this must have been 10 years ago at least.
Thanks ahead of time,
parts

P.S., the original site without the viruses would be just as good as the listing of primers and distances, or was it velocities?

partsproduction
08-25-2022, 02:06 AM
Obviously I misunderstood what "Test" was meant by the test section.

georgerkahn
08-26-2022, 06:54 AM
I have not the list you refer to, but perhaps a "lead" may be to contact the Wax Bullet purveyors? Years back I elected to try shooting wax bullets (.45 Colt) as a fun, quiet, inexpensive diversion -- to enable single action shooting at camp. The Cowboy Shooters sell the bullets, pre-enlarged flash hole cases, and all else required.
I recall them having a list of primers to use, with modal range velocities -- listing Cheddite 209 as the top. (I bought, and used these).
Hence, perhaps Googling the cowboy shooters &/or wax bullets... I'd guess there's a good chance you'll find the info you seek.
BEST!
geo