PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake

blackthorn
08-23-2022, 09:50 PM
Had a phone call from my son this evening asking if I knew if muzzle brakes were all threaded the same so as to be interchangeable. He also wanted to know if there were some brakes that were quieter than others. I have no knowledge regarding either of his questions so here I am asking if any of you can answer his queries? Thanks.

M-Tecs
08-23-2022, 09:55 PM
No, they are not all the same thread sizes and yes they vary greatly in effectiveness and noise level.

https://www.projectgunner.com/muzzle-brake-threads/

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/blogs/info/what-is-the-most-effective-muzzle-brake-design

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-beginners-guide-to-muzzle-brakes/

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/accessories/best-muzzle-brake-buyers-guide

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/17/muzzle-brake-recoil-reduction/

Winger Ed.
08-24-2022, 12:07 AM
Due to all the different sizes of barrels, the diameter and thread size will be all over the place.

Check out Brownell's.
They sell a bunch of them.
They'll list the specs. and have customer reviews on most of their stuff too.

Kosh75287
08-24-2022, 12:28 AM
I also don't think they are meant so much for noise suppression as muzzle flash suppression, and to redirect the exiting gasses in a way that does not disturb things around the muzzle and betray the shooter's position. If noise or recoil reduction happened as a result of the muzzle brakes, I suspect it was more incidental than by design.

M-Tecs
08-24-2022, 12:32 AM
I also don't think they are meant so much for noise suppression as muzzle flash suppression, and to redirect the exiting gasses in a way that does not disturb things around the muzzle and betray the shooter's position. If noise or recoil reduction happened as a result of the muzzle brakes, I suspect it was more incidental than by design.

The primary purpose of muzzle breaks is recoil reduction. Properly designed they are very effective reducing recoil. Some reduce recoil over 50% in actual testing. They also increase noise to the shooter and people off to the side.

Browning is claiming 76% recoil reduction. IMHO that seems high based on various other actual tests, however, without testing it I cannot confirm or deny their claims.

https://www.browning.com/products/shooting-accessories/muzzle-brakes/recoil-hawg-muzzle-brake.html

The Browning Recoil Hawg ranks among the most effective muzzle brakes in the industry. It reduces muzzle jump significantly to keep the target in your scope.
Multi-port design reduces felt recoil up to 76% (depending on caliber)
Top and side ports direct gases to reduce muzzle rise
Closed bottom design helps reduce dust signature during firing
Rugged all-steel construction
Multi-caliber design that is suitable for rifles that are .30 caliber or smaller.
The Standard Recoil Hawg will fit most bull and heavy-sporter profile rifle barrels with a minimum barrel shoulder of .700" and a 5/8"-24 TPI or 1/2"-28 TPI threaded muzzle. The Standard Recoil Hawg fits Long Range and Varmint/Target models of X-Bolt Rifles.
The Sporter Recoil Hawg will fit most sporter contour rifle barrels with an M13 x 1.25 or M13 x .75 threaded muzzle. The Sporter Recoil Hawg fits X-Bolt Speed and Sporter models of X-Bolt rifles.

Actual recoil and noise level testing data here https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/11/the-mother-of-all-muzzle-brake-tests-prbs-epic-research/

blackthorn
08-24-2022, 09:52 PM
Thanks folks for the replies to my post. The information is about what I thought but it is good to have it confirmed.

Mal Paso
08-24-2022, 09:56 PM
The primary purpose of muzzle breaks is recoil reduction. Properly designed they are very effective reducing recoil. Some reduce recoil over 50% in actual testing. They also increase noise to the shooter and people off to the side.

This ^^^! There are no standards either, some direct gas down which could be a problem. Flash Hiders are somewhat illegal here so I have muzzle brakes on everything AR. Most of the smaller caliber threads are 1/2-28 but there's 5/8-24 too mostly for 30 and 35 cal but it's up to the manufacturer.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2022, 08:01 AM
Is he confusing a muzzle break with a suppressor? Muzzle breaks have nothing to do with quieting the gun.

wilecoyote
08-25-2022, 08:20 AM
something I found that is never mentioned in the ads is that the lenses of the scope tend to get dirty sooner, with the muzzle brake on. maybe am me.

blackthorn
08-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Is he confusing a muzzle break with a suppressor? Muzzle breaks have nothing to do with quieting the gun.

No confusion here. My Son has an opportunity to acquire a brake and he had questions is all. Again, thanks for the help.

ebb
08-25-2022, 12:25 PM
No he is asking about quiet cause muzzle brakes make more noise, and direct it towards the shooter and others at the line. And some are designed to mitigate some of that new noise.

David2011
08-25-2022, 12:58 PM
This ^^^! There are no standards either, some direct gas down which could be a problem. Flash Hiders are somewhat illegal here so I have muzzle brakes on everything AR. Most of the smaller caliber threads are 1/2-28 but there's 5/8-24 too mostly for 30 and 35 cal but it's up to the manufacturer.

Right. While there are several different “standard” threads for muzzle devices, the vast majority in the US are the two you listed.

No he is asking about quiet cause muzzle brakes make more noise, and direct it towards the shooter and others at the line. And some are designed to mitigate some of that new noise.

The Open Class shooters in USPSA are shooting some variety of .38 Super Comp with a 147 grain bullet at around 1450 fps using incredibly effective compensators. It’s .357 Mag energy levels and the guns have no muzzle rise when the loads are right. They have a shield that protects the optical sight and to some degree, the shooter as well. The concussion is deflected around the shooter but wraps around them and is worse 10 feet behind the shooter than immediately behind where the range officer stands. These compensated guns are very loud but have no noticeable recoil.

Rapier
08-25-2022, 01:13 PM
Being in Canada, no telling what size and threads per inch is involved, barrel and brake both. I would suspect if the threading was done in Canada it is probably metric, not inch. The 1/2x28 (.500, 28 TPI) and 5/8x24 (.625 24 TPI) are both US inch standards.
Since you are talking about two threaded items fitting together, like a bolt and nut, would be best to confirm both to be the exact same.

quilbilly
08-26-2022, 02:52 PM
The hugely increased noise level going back to the shooter as well as anyone to the sides has already caused me to remove one "permanently" installed brake. In the field while hunting, I learned the hard way to wear hearing protection before touching off any round at game even with a single shot. When shooting my braked rifle at the range, if there are other shooters, I make a point staying well away or at least outside of the roof of the shelter as a matter of courtesy. I have a 338 WM with a brake that I enjoy shooting thoroughly but even after partially defeating the brake with lighter CB loads, I have noted other shooters backing away even if they had hearing protection.

farmbif
08-26-2022, 03:01 PM
sometimes I think that people screw these things on the end of a barrel because of the cool factor. many shooters care more about how a gun looks than how it will shoot.
maybe its just my imagination running wild. I know that's what attracted me to my first stainless mini 14. back when I was much younger. who cares if it will only shoot a 5" or 6" group at 100 yard it sure does look neat.

Winger Ed.
08-26-2022, 03:18 PM
sometimes I think that people screw these things on the end of a barrel because of the cool factor..

I saw an article years ago when everyone first went all ga-ga over putting a brake on everything.
The author said they were OK only if they were several inches behind, and way off to the side of your muzzle.