PDA

View Full Version : Rattle snake

Freightman
08-23-2022, 12:50 PM
Grand daughter was knocking down weeds this morning, she came in and said you need your gun I just saw a Rattler. So I go out and find a shed skin in the area , didn't see the snake measured the shed it was 7' 3" so going to have to carry all the time even on the farm. she saw the snake but it disappeared into the tall weeds.

Winger Ed.
08-23-2022, 02:01 PM
When you take its shirt off--
It'll make a nice belt and a hat band or two.

That's also big enough to eat, but of the couple I've had, they taste like Kleenex, only tougher.

ACC
08-23-2022, 04:08 PM
I am glad your granddaughter didn't get bit. When I was up at scout camp last year a big fat one like to hang around the back door of my tent. I made a deal with him. He doesn't bite me and I don't bother him.

ACC

bedbugbilly
08-23-2022, 06:52 PM
Glad your granddaughter didn't get bit. Just goes to show that everything in the Lone Star state truly is :bigger". Like they used to say on Hill Street Nlues . . . "Let's be careful out there!"

Der Gebirgsjager
08-23-2022, 08:46 PM
I am glad your granddaughter didn't get bit. When I was up at scout camp last year a big fat one like to hang around the back door of my tent. I made a deal with him. He doesn't bite me and I don't bother him.

ACC

Don't trust them. They're known liars.

DG

Cargo
08-23-2022, 09:01 PM
She did a good job moving away and getting you. Those things are testy when they're shedding and you'll need the fish cooker when you finally cross paths with it. ~Semper Paratus~

Bad Ass Wallace
08-24-2022, 04:06 AM
Interesting that in this day people still seek out and kill snakes. Everything has a place in nature, our black snakes are just as dangerous but I never kill them.

https://i.imgur.com/64MpD7Am.jpg

trapper9260
08-24-2022, 06:52 AM
I have had a black rat snake in the middle of the road coming back from fishing and someone was doing something with it coming the other way and seen me coming they took off . When I got to it .I took my walking stick and moved it across the road and it took off in the weeds It could of been about 6 foot , I can be wrong on the length , just a guess. The snake I fear is one that I do not see that is the one that had bite me when I was a teen going after some frogs for frog legs. It was a Cottonmouth Snake. I was with my dad fishing . My dad had took me to the ER luck for me that the fangs just hit the surface of my hand and was sick for about 2 days and the doctor gave me 2 shots and told my dad if you see a line going up my arm to bring me back. You can see the 2 pin marks on my palm .

08-24-2022, 07:17 AM
I like nature and all, but snakes and such things the can make me seriously sick tend to get the treatment they deserve. If that little girl (or anybody really) got a full dose of venom, the medical ramifications are severe. I'm not phobic, but realistic.

.44 mag stoked with a modified .303 Brit case, Unique, and as much #9 shot / #7 1/2 shot it will hold. Works fantastic.

Handloader109
08-24-2022, 08:02 AM
Have a big black rat that comes around the house looking for mice. He or his sibling was up in one of the hedge next to my house. He was eye level looking for bird nest. I ran him out and around back of house. I don't kill them unless they can really hurt me....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
08-24-2022, 08:28 AM
I believe in live and let live until they start invading my space where we or our dogs could be bitten. My wife and I stepped out of our garage one morning, she was bare legged and wearing sandals, and I looked down and spotted a rattler. I reached back into the garage and grabbed a shovel I keep leaned up by the door. I didn't kilt I promise . . . it was an extremely troubled snake that committed suicide by running into the shovel. Better him than my wife'd legs or one of the dogs we were taking for a walk.

dverna
08-24-2022, 08:56 AM
Illegal to kill the rattler here...but everyone I know kills them on sight IF they are near buildings or where livestock are kept. Some will kill them anywhere.

Never seen a big one but even the smaller ones can be dangerous.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-24-2022, 09:25 AM
I enjoy our bullsnakes, green snakes, and garter snakes. I kill the prairie rattlers around here on sight. I have seen the damage and suffering they do biting horses, dogs and cattle. The cost of a finger or nerve damage to hands, arms, and legs, the pain, suffering and cost in of medical bills in the tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars is not worth the risk on my and other local property. Out in sagebrush antelope hunting, I leave them alone.

Skipper
08-24-2022, 09:33 AM
When you take its shirt off--
It'll make a nice belt and a hat band or two.

That's also big enough to eat, but of the couple I've had, they taste like Kleenex, only tougher.

salt, pepper and paprika...roll the chunks in flour and fry like you would a fish. Watch out for the bones.

sparky45
08-24-2022, 09:35 AM
Only good snake is any I don't cross paths with OR dead ones if need be.

Rapier
08-24-2022, 09:51 AM
Poisonous, with no warning gets them gone to a better place. Otherwise we have an understanding. Our Indigos are very long but get a definite pass, they keep the bad actors cleaned up.

HWooldridge
08-24-2022, 10:05 AM
Glad your grand daughter was not harmed. Our youngest son kept two pythons in the house when he was young so my wife is not afraid of snakes in general - and I grew up around all types in South Texas.

I only kill poisonous snakes near the house. We have lost 3 dogs to them - 2 were bitten and died in one day. My wife shot that rattler because I was at work during the day - snake came up on the porch and 4 dogs went after him - one dachshund and our old blue heeler were struck. Dachshund died immediately; the heeler had previously been bitten at least three times and lived but she didn't survive that last time. My son lives near San Angelo and they are plagued with rattlers - I've lost track but believe at least a dozen dogs have died from snake bite. There is no way to prevent rattlers from coming around the house, especially at night.

I will leave them alone out in the middle of nowhere - live and let live.

lightman
08-24-2022, 10:09 AM
Wow, 7'3 is a whopper! Glad your Granddaughter was not bitten.

contender1
08-24-2022, 10:22 AM
To the OP,, I'm glad your granddaughter was not bitten & all is fine. I've caught some big rattlers in Texas myself.

My business is dealing with nuisance wildlife. ADC work.
I get calls on snakes.

Sadly,, too many people have phobias about ANY snake. As noted before here,, the black rat, (black racer, indigos, whatever the local name for that basic species is,) is a non-poisonous species, and actually helps us by eating rodents. And they are one of the few species (here in WNC) that can climb walls & get in overhead places. In general,, they don't mind being inside people's homes & can be quite docile.
Yet,, I get calls from people freaking out about a skin they found in their house. People talk about moving out, selling the house etc. They fail to understand that if you have any form of woods or space for wildlife,, you can & will have all kinds of opportunities to have such critters. And mice are potential disease carriers, as well as rats. Yet the black snake will eat them. PLUS,, the black snake can ALSO kill & eat the poisonous snakes.
Now,, the Australian variety,, is a totally different species.

But in general, the black snakes DO NOT NEED TO BE KILLED. Just remove them & relocate them. But if they are in your house,, you have a FOOD SOURCE such as mice, rats, birds, squirrels, or even bats that they are after.

Rattlesnakes,, while dangerous,, generally do not like to be too close to activity/people. Yes, I do know that in many of the western & south western states they can be more numerous & more active. But in many places,, due to habitat loss, & such, they can be a PROTECTED species,, and are not to be killed.
Here in WNC,, the timber rattlesnake is protected under the "Species of Special Concern" clause of the FEDERAL Endangered list.

Killing them in SOME cases could be a FELONY.

For those folks who "kill all snakes," or whatever,, do you really want to get a felony & lose your gun rights & voting rights over such a trivial thing?

Self defense,, if avoidable,, avoid them. If it's absolutely un-avoidable, then self defense is sometimes acceptable to the LEO's.

Copperheads & water moccasins are not endangered on any lists as far as I know,, and as such,, if around people or presenting danger,, then if you must,, kill them. In my job,, when I get a copperhead,, legally I could relocate them. However,, I'd have to have written permission from the private property owner to relocate them to that piece of property. Nobody wants to accept them, and since it's illegal to put them on State or Federal property,, I kill those. We do not have water moccasins in my area, so they are not an issue for me.

But I guess I get tired of the lack of education by the public in general on snake identification.
Every snake is poisonous according to them.
Every snake is a copperhead to them.
All snakes should be killed to them.

We, as gun owners WISH people would get a proper education about firearms,, so that more folks would understand us & not be so emotionally against them. Yet, many gun owners fail to accept the fact they too could use a little education about snakes & such.

Both snakes & firearms can be dangerous OR non-dangerous. And often, guns are used for good, and snakes do perform a good service to us.

My wife used to be in the camp of; "If you want me to leave,,, just bring a snake in the house. I'll pack up & leave." Well, out of respect for her,, I've only HAD to bring one snake inside for one overnight stay. A python. I sold it the next morning. Yet,, over the 30 years we've been together,, she has learned to accept the FACT that we live in the country, we have snakes around (as well as all other wildlife) and she is no longer so anti-snake.

Education is the key to solving both the snake issues, as well as gun issues.

MaryB
08-24-2022, 01:49 PM
i have a 6' long bull snake out in my back yard. Usually stays in my wild patch that I leave for wildlife. Last time I was mowing he was sunning out in the grass and refused to move. He was not happy when I picked him up and put his in the tall brush! He was rattling his tail trying OT imitate a rattlesnake, hissing... I set him down and he tried to head into the grass so I pushed him the other way a few times. He finally laid at the edge, let me make 3 passes with the mower then he stretched back out in the sun. He had a pretty full belly of gophers most likely and needed to digest it. I have handled him a few times, and he is semi tame around me. I do make sure he can't bite me! No poison but it HURTS and infection is a very real issue.

Friend saw him one day and panicked, "you have a rattlesnake out back!" I had to educate him on head shape, the bull snake doesn't have the triangular viper head a rattlesnake has, and the skin color pattern is different. There ARE rattlesnakes in the rock outcropping in the river valley. DNR claims there isn't but every year someone kills one at the one catfish hole.

megasupermagnum
08-24-2022, 02:22 PM
salt, pepper and paprika...roll the chunks in flour and fry like you would a fish. Watch out for the bones.

We have a bunch of rattlesnakes along the Missouri river/Lake Oahe. I've met people who have hunted them there, and say they taste great. The problem I've had is I can't seem to catch the things. Normally you don't see them, they only seem to come out in the evening. Every time I find one they quickly turn and try to get away. The Missouri river bank is nothing but cracked mud with a million places for them to hide. The time of year snakes are out is also the busiest fishing time, so there's no reasonable way to shoot them. I can't seem to get within stick range. Maybe one day.

douglasskid
08-24-2022, 02:29 PM
Had a large timber ratter on driveway yesterday. Not the first one, but hopefully the last!

sloughfoot
08-24-2022, 03:51 PM
Very well said

sloughfoot
08-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Very well said
QUOTE=contender1;5447815]To the OP,, I'm glad your granddaughter was not bitten & all is fine. I've caught some big rattlers in Texas myself.

My business is dealing with nuisance wildlife. ADC work.
I get calls on snakes.

Sadly,, too many people have phobias about ANY snake. As noted before here,, the black rat, (black racer, indigos, whatever the local name for that basic species is,) is a non-poisonous species, and actually helps us by eating rodents. And they are one of the few species (here in WNC) that can climb walls & get in overhead places. In general,, they don't mind being inside people's homes & can be quite docile.
Yet,, I get calls from people freaking out about a skin they found in their house. People talk about moving out, selling the house etc. They fail to understand that if you have any form of woods or space for wildlife,, you can & will have all kinds of opportunities to have such critters. And mice are potential disease carriers, as well as rats. Yet the black snake will eat them. PLUS,, the black snake can ALSO kill & eat the poisonous snakes.
Now,, the Australian variety,, is a totally different species.

But in general, the black snakes DO NOT NEED TO BE KILLED. Just remove them & relocate them. But if they are in your house,, you have a FOOD SOURCE such as mice, rats, birds, squirrels, or even bats that they are after.

Rattlesnakes,, while dangerous,, generally do not like to be too close to activity/people. Yes, I do know that in many of the western & south western states they can be more numerous & more active. But in many places,, due to habitat loss, & such, they can be a PROTECTED species,, and are not to be killed.
Here in WNC,, the timber rattlesnake is protected under the "Species of Special Concern" clause of the FEDERAL Endangered list.

Killing them in SOME cases could be a FELONY.

For those folks who "kill all snakes," or whatever,, do you really want to get a felony & lose your gun rights & voting rights over such a trivial thing?

Self defense,, if avoidable,, avoid them. If it's absolutely un-avoidable, then self defense is sometimes acceptable to the LEO's.

Copperheads & water moccasins are not endangered on any lists as far as I know,, and as such,, if around people or presenting danger,, then if you must,, kill them. In my job,, when I get a copperhead,, legally I could relocate them. However,, I'd have to have written permission from the private property owner to relocate them to that piece of property. Nobody wants to accept them, and since it's illegal to put them on State or Federal property,, I kill those. We do not have water moccasins in my area, so they are not an issue for me.

But I guess I get tired of the lack of education by the public in general on snake identification.
Every snake is poisonous according to them.
Every snake is a copperhead to them.
All snakes should be killed to them.

We, as gun owners WISH people would get a proper education about firearms,, so that more folks would understand us & not be so emotionally against them. Yet, many gun owners fail to accept the fact they too could use a little education about snakes & such.

Both snakes & firearms can be dangerous OR non-dangerous. And often, guns are used for good, and snakes do perform a good service to us.

My wife used to be in the camp of; "If you want me to leave,,, just bring a snake in the house. I'll pack up & leave." Well, out of respect for her,, I've only HAD to bring one snake inside for one overnight stay. A python. I sold it the next morning. Yet,, over the 30 years we've been together,, she has learned to accept the FACT that we live in the country, we have snakes around (as well as all other wildlife) and she is no longer so anti-snake.

Education is the key to solving both the snake issues, as well as gun issues.[/QUOTE]

HWooldridge
08-24-2022, 03:58 PM
We have a bunch of rattlesnakes along the Missouri river/Lake Oahe. I've met people who have hunted them there, and say they taste great. The problem I've had is I can't seem to catch the things. Normally you don't see them, they only seem to come out in the evening. Every time I find one they quickly turn and try to get away. The Missouri river bank is nothing but cracked mud with a million places for them to hide. The time of year snakes are out is also the busiest fishing time, so there's no reasonable way to shoot them. I can't seem to get within stick range. Maybe one day.

I have killed several with a 3 foot long "stick" cut from a hickory hoe handle. My son and grandson came running into the house one day telling me I needed to get a gun for a rattler in the yard; I grabbed my stick instead (it was closer) and beat his head flat. Never got the chance to coil - that one was about 3-1/2 feet long.

405grain
08-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Back when my Grandparents had a cattle ranch in Oklahoma my younger brother went to visit them one summer. He was high school age at the time. There were three water ponds on the ranch, and one day grandpa told my Brother; "There are cottonmouths hanging around the water holes and the cows can't get a drink without danger of being bit. Here's a brick of 22's and a rifle. (a single shot bolt action) Go on out there and shoot them snakes."

My brother went to the task that morning, then returned around noon. He said to Grandpa "I've got some good news, and some bad news." Gramps said "What's the good news?" My brother said "I hit a snake with every shot. Used up the whole brick." Then Grandpa said "Well that's good. What's the bad news?" My brother told him that "I only made it half way around one of the ponds!"

Armorer77
08-24-2022, 06:32 PM
I lived in TX for 6 years , killed 2 copperheads from my porch . 1 stump tail moccasin coming across the river towards me .

Catshooter
08-24-2022, 09:49 PM
If it's poisonous and I can, I kill it.

Tell that "everything has a place in nature" crap to the parents of a small child that dies from a snake bite. Or the young man who suddenly has $89,000 in hospital bills just for the anti-venom alone.

megasupermagnum
08-25-2022, 02:07 AM
If it's poisonous and I can, I kill it.

Tell that "everything has a place in nature" crap to the parents of a small child that dies from a snake bite. Or the young man who suddenly has $89,000 in hospital bills just for the anti-venom alone.

I'll play devils advocate. Here is a study done on the deaths by venomous snakes in the USA from 1989 to 2018. 101 deaths occured by various species. That averages out to 3.48 deaths per year. 83 were male, 14 were female. Only 7 deaths in those years were young kids over a time period of 29 years.
https://scholarlycommons.henryford.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1231&context=emergencymedicine_articles#:~:text=We%20id entified%20101%20fatal%20bites%20from%20native%20s nakes%20reported%20between,by%20the%20AAPCC%20%5B3 9%5D.

I'm pretty sure more kids die every year from mosquito and tick bites. The fact that nearly everyone who dies of snake bite is 30-60 and male sure tells me snakes only bite when you screw with them. Kids, elderly, and females are somehow practically immune to snakes.

45_Colt
08-25-2022, 07:34 AM
I'll play devils advocate. Here is a study done on the deaths by venomous snakes in the USA from 1989 to 2018. 101 deaths occured by various species. That averages out to 3.48 deaths per year. 83 were male, 14 were female. Only 7 deaths in those years were young kids over a time period of 29 years.

The reason for the low death rate is due to anti-venom. Really need to include the months on end folks spend in the hospital after being bitten. Along with further recovery time once home.

45_Colt

HWooldridge
08-25-2022, 07:59 AM
A childhood friend of mine was bitten on the thigh when we were in 4th grade. His dog had cornered something under the doghouse but Robert didn't know it was a snake so he knelt down to look. The rattler then popped him above the left knee. This was before EMT services were available so his parents rushed him to Brooke Army Medical Center in their car.

He didn't die but lost a great deal of flesh and had to have a couple of skin grafts - the whole process took so much time that he was held back a grade from missing school. He recovered and was healthy afterwards but suffered a lot of scarring - from both the bite and the grafts; he limped for a few years until everything stretched out. Fortunately, his dad was in the military so most of the cost was probably covered - but I was in the 4th grade and didn't think much about that at the time. All I knew is that it made a mess of his leg - the final scar was about the size of a dinner plate.

contender1
08-25-2022, 10:09 AM
I understand the emotional thoughts about people injured or whom have died as a result of a snake bite. I personally know a very good friend who got hit by a timber rattler about 30 years ago. And yes,, he had a rough time with his recovery, due to the time it took to get him to medical care. He and (2) other guys were hunting rattlers at the time.

In my business,, I've dealt with several copperhead bite cases too. In fact, my son's MIL was bitten on the finger last June.

I'm NOT saying sometimes killing a poisonous snake isn't justified or necessary.

I am saying people need to be educated about the different species AND educate themselves about habitat, & what snakes do. We humans often put our own bodies in places a snake happens to be WITHOUT thinking that there might be a snake or other dangerous critter there.

How about bee stings?

Another common thing that can also cause serious health risks & even death. Many people are allergic or even small kids can die from multiple stings.

I'm just saying EDUCATION is the key to preventing a lot of problems. It will NOT prevent all of them, but it sure can reduce things a LOT!!

Eddie Southgate
08-25-2022, 10:26 AM
Any poison snake found hanging around my house will soon be a murder victim.

nicholst55
08-25-2022, 11:27 AM
My wife found a 2'+ long shed snake skin in our back yard yesterday, and she is NOT pleased by it. She has a severe loathing for ANY type of snake. We lived on Yuma Proving Ground, AZ for five years, and had encounters with more than our share of rattlers. IIRC, there are around 13 different species of rattlers in AZ, and 5-6 live in Yuma County. Fortunately, neither of us has been bitten, and I sincerely hope to keep it that way.

Winger Ed.
08-25-2022, 11:36 AM
Years ago, a buddy killed a rattle snake on his property.
I asked him if he was sure it wasn't one of the protected kind.
He told me he wasn't sure, but if it was, it wasn't protected enough.

atr
08-25-2022, 11:52 AM
When I was young and working construction up in the hills on the central california coast we would get up early to beat the heat and start. As we unloaded lumber from the stack we would always find rattlers resting in the lumber pile. In the cool mornings they were sluggish so it wasn't to much of a problem to solve.
I grew up along the American River between Sacramento and Placerville (hang town) and we caught a lot of diamond back rattlers when out hunting or fishing along that river. The rattlers also used to hang out under the wild black berry bushes so we were always careful when picking berries.
The do make good hat bands and if cooked with seasoning they taste fine. Joseph Oregon has a festival each year, or used to, where they cooked lots of rattle snakes killed on their annual snake roundup.

I am glad the young lady did not get bitten.
best
atr

.429&H110
08-25-2022, 12:48 PM
Back when dirt was new, my grandmother lived in Deland FL. There was/is "no shooting" in city limits. When she saw a snake, BANG!, the sheriff would show up and write her a $5 ticket. She said it was worth it.

I have here a eight foot piece of 3/4 pvc with paracord loop through, I fished ol' coontail #10 out of the oleanders last week. They don't mind until the noose is drawn tight. Neighbor says the skin peels off inside out, no luck so far, the skin tears.
That would be 10 rattlers in this yard in three years, my big gopher snake was hit by a car.
Lizards eat the squash flowers, snakes eat the lizards, roadrunner eats the snakes.
My bug guy said if he poisons the crickets, the scorpions will leave. It's a zoo.

Cast10
08-26-2022, 07:53 AM
Down here in Texas, we got lots of bell boys! Two words for ya; SNAKE BOOTS.

Couple of years ago, I was hit 4 times on the ranch by rattlers. It was a wet year and grass was high all over. Always be on the look out for snakes. Oh, another good set of words, Shot shells in your favorite handgun!

wgr
08-26-2022, 09:54 AM
Well i have a bad breathing problem and can not hear much of any thing, So most things move in tall grass are in troble

sparky45
08-26-2022, 10:00 AM
I understand the emotional thoughts about people injured or whom have died as a result of a snake bite. I personally know a very good friend who got hit by a timber rattler about 30 years ago. And yes,, he had a rough time with his recovery, due to the time it took to get him to medical care. He and (2) other guys were hunting rattlers at the time.

In my business,, I've dealt with several copperhead bite cases too. In fact, my son's MIL was bitten on the finger last June.

I'm NOT saying sometimes killing a poisonous snake isn't justified or necessary.

I am saying people need to be educated about the different species AND educate themselves about habitat, & what snakes do. We humans often put our own bodies in places a snake happens to be WITHOUT thinking that there might be a snake or other dangerous critter there.

How about bee stings?

Another common thing that can also cause serious health risks & even death. Many people are allergic or even small kids can die from multiple stings.

I'm just saying EDUCATION is the key to preventing a lot of problems. It will NOT prevent all of them, but it sure can reduce things a LOT!!

I get it; but HOW on Earth do you educate a Snake?

contender1
08-26-2022, 10:28 AM
"I get it; but HOW on Earth do you educate a Snake?"

I had a good laugh at that! Thanks!!!!!

Seriously,, if you could hear all the weird, crazy, odd, outlandish, & just plain stupid comments I get in my ADC business about animals it would make you cry. I've about become immune to the stupid PEOPLE I often deal with.

One of my favorite comments I've heard variations of kinda frequently goes a bit like this; "I wouldn't have bought this house in the woods if I had known animals would come here! Why don't they stay in the woods & away from my house?"

I get that sort of comment weekly.

And yes,, I've had a few people over the years who actually sold a house to where they could move into an apartment instead. They decided they didn't like all the wildlife around their home.

IT'S NOT DISNEY OUT THERE!

Snakes & all wildlife need their space. We humans have invaded their homes. They all have a basic life. Eat, sleep & reproduce. They go to where the food is. They find a safe place to sleep & they like to find mates & then try & raise their offspring in a safe place. Often,, it's our homes, or woodpiles, sheds, gardens, bird feeders, outdoor pet food, ponds, etc that attract their food sources. Then the predatory animals go after these critters.

So the funny comment about educating a snake,,, I really enjoyed that.

BUT,,,, one part of my job is to educate my customers in reducing their encounters with all animals. They can do this by "breaking the chain" of need by the animals. The chain or circle if you wish; Eating, sleeping, reproducing.
Reproduction. Really can't do much about that. Don't bother.
Eating. Remove food sources,, AND places where potential food sources thrive. No bird feeders, no outdoor pet food, no food garbage, etc. Then, keep the yard mowed, elevate & store properly any firewood, lumber, & basically keep a tidy exterior area where bugs, lizards, crickets, frogs, etc can live. Even spray with insecticide on a regular basis.

Sleeping. Carefully inspect your home. Ask yourself; "If I was a critter, (you can pick one or many species,) how would I get into this house to build a nest or den?" If a bat, any 3/8" opening that's elevated, is an invitation. Flying squirrels start with a 1/2" opening. Fix & repair PROPERLY these points. At ground level, look at similar openings. A mouse can get into 3/8" openings as well. properly seal such things. (Snakes can follow a lot of mouse openings.) Porches & decks. Animals love to go under such places. Groundhogs commonly frequent such places. Properly block these places as well. Get educated on HOW to properly block such places, & DO NOT THINK LIKE A HUMAN when doing so.

Basically we can co-exist with all wildlife if we just take the time to prevent encounters for the most part.

(Coyotes don't count! :D :D :D )

Winger Ed.
08-26-2022, 12:18 PM
I get it; but HOW on Earth do you educate a Snake?

Good question.

I've tried explaining things to them.
But it's worse than trying to teach Astro Physics to a dog.

Even if you talk slow, and loud, with plenty of hand gestures like when explaining something to someone who
doesn't speak English--- I haven't had any luck with them.

ACC
08-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Interesting that in this day people still seek out and kill snakes. Everything has a place in nature, our black snakes are just as dangerous but I never kill them.

https://i.imgur.com/64MpD7Am.jpg

Y'all have a lot more poisonous snakes than we do here in Texas.

ACC

Winger Ed.
08-26-2022, 03:10 PM
Everything has a place in nature,

I used to think that.
Right up until I got into a bunch of fire ants.

If they have a place in nature,
it can only be to teach people how to dance, hop around, and strip off their clothes at the same time.

contender1
08-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Gee thanks Ed,, I just had a mental picture. Made me laugh!

I've seen where skunks have dug out a few ant dens,, and wondered how they fare with them stinging beasts!

ulav8r
08-26-2022, 11:45 PM
I would think you would train a poisonous snake just like you train a stubborn mule except instead of hitting it in the head with a 2x4 you hit in the head with #8 shot or larger.