PDA

View Full Version : For Thought and Meditation - Monday, August 22

Pine Baron
08-22-2022, 06:06 AM
Good morning all. I need to keep this message close to my heart, as I face this day. Have a safe and blessed day.

Whatever You Do
August 22, 2022 - Dr. David Jeremiah

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
Colossians 3:23

In Corinth, a dispute arose among members of the church over whether meat sacrificed to idols was acceptable for Christians to eat. Paul provided a lengthy answer to this problem that can be summarized this way: Eat whatever you want, according to your conscience, without offending a fellow believer. In short, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).

In Colossians, Paul surveyed the “marketplace” of relationships one enters into as a Christian: being a wife, a husband, a child, a father, a servant, a master . . . the list could go on. The variables and contingencies involved in relationships are far more varied than the kinds of foods offered in a public market, yet Paul summarized his discussion with a similar guideline as he gave to the Corinthians: “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men” (Colossians 3:23). Glorify God and relate to others as you would relate to God.

Paul said in Colossians 3:24 there is a reward for those who live accordingly—a reward for right choices and relationships.

Christianity is all about relationships with God and with others.
David Watson

dverna
08-22-2022, 07:33 AM
I find the message confusing.

It says: "Eat whatever you want, according to your conscience, without offending a fellow believer."

Yet it says: "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"

I have a neighbor who abstains. I honor his beliefs by not bringing alcohol to his home for a campfire. But if the campfire is at my home, I will partake. I may be offending my neighbor, but I do not let it bother me.

If we go out for dinner to a restaurant, I will order a drink. I suspect he may find it "offensive" but again, it does not bother me much.

Living your life without offending a fellow believer forces you to conform to his beliefs. And that seems wrong to me.

What if a believer condones gays as pastors? Am I expected to "go along" and not offend him?

Relating to God is not the same as relating to men.

But maybe I am missing the message.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2022, 08:04 AM
Don, when there is a possibility that I understand more freedom than my brother I will initiate a discussion about this. Depending on how strongly he feels will determine my behavior. If it is a condition of sin I will come alongside him and let him know that this is not an issue to discuss because sin in never acceptable. Thus having a pastor who is proud of and identifies as his chosen sin is a no-go, it is sin throughout the Bible. This is whatever the particular sin is, btw, not just the gay issue. We were visiting Churches and visited one where all three of the women on stage leading the singing were morbidly obese. We did not go back.

I agree, conforming to the limits of others is wrong. Helping them to understand the freedom we all have is a challenge we should accept.

USMC87
08-22-2022, 08:31 AM
Amen and thank you Lord for your blessings on me.

ioon44
08-22-2022, 12:41 PM
Matthew 15:11
it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.

Ickisrulz
08-22-2022, 01:01 PM
When Paul wrote to the Corinthians about eating meat sacrificed to idols, it is important to remember a few things:

1. The church in Corinth was very carnal and in need of education and correction. It appears that each church gathering included gluttony, interruptions by people speaking out of turn, improper exercise of spiritual gifts and probably some other things I am forgetting. Additionally, the church did not deal with the sin members were engaged in. Instead, they were proud of their tolerance. In short, they did not love one another.

2. It was in this church that Paul claimed he preached "Christ crucified". It is important to note this was not Paul's only message, but it was highlighted for Corinth. This message of love and sacrifice was what the church needed to correct its course of selfishness.

3. Paul educated the church saying it didn't matter if meat was sacrificed to idols or not. It had no effect on the meat or its consumption. Paul always endeavored to educate his churches.

3. Paul warned the church to be careful in exercising their knowledge and freedom in front who were "weak in the faith." This didn't mean he wanted those weaker believers to remain uneducated and dictate the actions of the other Christians.

I could state applications on these points, but I think they are pretty self evident.