PDA

View Full Version : Gunmaker wanted in western Montana

Naphtali
08-21-2022, 08:22 PM
I am left-handed and left eye dominant. Eighteen months ago, I went blind in my left eye. After recovering some sight, I have decided to have a Ferguson breech-loading flintlock rifle made for my use since I am forced to convert to become a right-handed shooter.

If you build rifles, I ask you to consider taking the job. I have an L&R right-handed flintlock as individual unfitted parts. Perhaps it might be better to buy the lock, needing only tuning by you?

Ric Carter, very good maker and within 100 miles, I have been unable to get ahold of. And Gene Gordner is well beyond my price range.

I'm not going to overload you with details. If the build appeals to you we'll work out details and payment. I anticipate the build to be in the $1K–$2K range. Because of the stock blank's excessive length, the gunmaker needs to be in western Montana. I am in Missoula County.

A few thoughts for a gunmaker who might be put off by unusual configuration of the Ferguson's breech. Among the few original Ferguson rifles nearly all were "Enlisted Man's" model for which I have machinist's inspection drawings. The others (perhaps other??) was an elegant sporting or "Officer's" model for which I also have machinist's inspection drawings. The point is that what I want built allows flexibility. And over the years I have examined some interesting Ferguson variations, one "Deerstalker" being beautiful beyond elegant.
Unfired TRS-Rayl Ferguson breech-loading flintlock barreled action. Partial specifications are as follows. More dimensional specifications included in photographs.

1. TRS (The Rifle Shoppe) Ferguson action, including trigger plate (trigger plate not shown). Action is not drilled-and-tapped for touch hole as its precise location would occur during completion of rifle. Material is AISI 8620.

2. Ed Rayl finished and installed .54-caliber swamped octagon barrel 39 inches long. Material is AISI 8620.

3. English walnut (not black walnut) stock blank three inches thick is slightly machined with barrel slot.

BLAHUT
08-21-2022, 08:33 PM
I can not help with the build> but i would reckomend you get a cheep .177 air rifle or a cheep .22 and sit down at the bench in less than a day there you will be confertable shooting off the right side> i have trained many that were cross eye dominate and only takes a few hours to get contfortabe with shooting of the other side>>
then its just practice..

Kosh75287
08-21-2022, 08:34 PM
I don't know any riflemakers anywhere, but your project certainly sounds interesting, and fully deserving of an experienced gun smith's greatest attention and best efforts.

Good Luck!

ascast
08-21-2022, 08:58 PM
can't help you, but I think the Ferguson is a fantastic choice. Its on my bucket list. best of luck with project

ulav8r
08-21-2022, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a $6-10K project. Rots-a-ruck.

square butte
08-22-2022, 07:48 AM
Go to American Longrifles.com and ask on that site - There are a few there who have built them from Rifle Shoppe parts.

Naphtali
08-22-2022, 08:54 AM
The probability that this build is affordable stems from the time consuming metal and machine work having been completed. Breech, vertical breech, trigger guard-wrench, finished-and-installed barrel are done. Finished L&R locks are available. Work is predominantly stock making, plus sights and accoutrements. Much of the "six to ten thousand dollar" part is done.

Finster101
08-22-2022, 09:03 AM
How far is Waksupi from you? He has posted some of his work and it is stunning. I do not know if he is still doing any projects or not.

shortlegs
08-22-2022, 01:23 PM
WOW! the Ferguson rifle is # 1 on my bucket list! Not affordable but still there.

sparky45
08-22-2022, 02:01 PM
Fellow up around Slocom Hollow Penn. is a fantastic maker of Flintlock/Percussion rifles. Goes by JW FILIPS over on another site.

MT Gianni
08-22-2022, 02:38 PM
There was a shop making custom muzzleloaders in Superior but I can no longer find a listing. I think he may be close to 70 and retired.

Naphtali
08-23-2022, 09:58 AM
How far is Waksupi from you? He has posted some of his work and it is stunning. I do not know if he is still doing any projects or not. Ric is the first person I queried. Either I fouled up on his CONTACT, or he did not respond. I'll try him again through a PM rather than email. I'll give three days for him to respond. I'll report late Friday or on Saturday. I hope he'll accept the job.

freakonaleash
08-25-2022, 09:15 AM
I don't take orders anymore, but if I did that would be a $3500-$4500 job, easy.

Naphtali
08-25-2022, 12:17 PM
Ric is no longer doing work. He is having severe physical problems.