PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about rifle alloys.

Murphy
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Howdy Men,

I've been working with a Lyman 311041 mould for a couple of years now. I have not been fortunate enough to take any game with it just yet.

Now for the alloy question in regards to rifles.

I've been using a blend of 50/50 Lino & pure Lead for my 30/30 loads. I've driven them up to as high as 2,400 fps. I was using a now out of business lube maker's lube at the time. Paco's Apache Blue lube. I'm currently working on mixing up a batch of FWFL.

Using a solid version of the above mentioned bullet (Lyman's 311041), about what BHN hardness do most of you prefer?

I also have the Hollow Point version of this same bullet. I was fortunate to find it on Ebay last year and gave an arm and a leg for it. Any suggested alloy for using it at full throttle?

Respectfully,

Murphy

MT Gianni
01-15-2006, 10:32 PM
If the bullet fits the bore air cooled wheel weights are fine. If it doesn't it had better be as hard as j####ed. Gianni.

9.3X62AL
01-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Full agreement with Gianni here--fit is EVERYTHING, and all the metallurgy on earth can't compensate for loose boolits.

I don't drive cast boolits past 2000 FPS, and seldom past 1800 FPS for that matter--so Javelina alox/beeswax has been my lube for several years. I also use an equivalent of your Lino/lead 50/50 mix, AKA Taracorp alloy, AKA 92/6/2.

Buckshot
01-16-2006, 04:31 AM
..............If you're talking about using the slug for hunting then ACWW is great. That should carry you up to about 1800 fps or so. At what ranges would you contemplate using it at for hunting. Sights? Unless your possible anticipated ranges include 150 to 200 yards you don't need 2400 fps.

What you can do is a simple test. Since rifles and their barrel conditions are all different, shooting conditions change, etc stating some BHN is impossible. You'd like SOME expansion to take place, and to happen without fracturing. Since WW is pleantifull and cheap start with that.

Cast up a batch of slugs from your WW supply. Perform whatever culling process you use. Select your powder and charges and then load them up in 3 round batches with 1/2 grain increasing charges. This might be a 15 round series, for 5 increasingly heavier charges. Chances are you'll start with something already familiar to you.

Go to the range with a cleaning rod and some patches along with your chronograph. Place a target and fire the first 3 rounds. If the accuracy is okay then go to the next. If at some point the groups open up then patch the barrel to see if there is any leading. What does the bore look like at the muzzle? Is there a lube star at the muzzle?

If there is leading and you're using a good lube, then chances are it's time to harden the slug up some. Before you do that (as we want a softer slug) my suggestion would be to go to a slower powder and try that, again working up as before in 3 round groups. If you exceed the previous test, then stay with that powder and continue loading heavier charges.

As a last resort harden up the alloy a bit and begin testing where the last left off. I can tell you that lube DOES make a difference in velocity potential. Possibly even moreso then a harder slug. This happened when I was doing some high velocity testing with a 30-40 Krag.

Remember that a little leading isn't a big deal for hunting, but accuracy is. Accuracy failure is the indicator to look for first. Be realistic in the range you expect to hunt at and your own capabilities at being able to hit at that range.

....................Buckshot

Murphy
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Buckshot,

As soon as time allows, I'll do some casting of the hollow point 311041 with ACWW's and go from there.

As for range I 'may' be using this particular gun (1894 Winchester with a Lyman tang site), it will vary. For all intent and purpose...it will probably be a shot inside of 100yds. Then again, I also have the opportunity to do some wide open shooting at deer as well. (Farm lands during Non public land hunts). I killed 2 deer in the farm lands this past year. One at a 115 yards (black powder T/C White Mountain), the other at 167 yards with a Remington Model 7 in 7/08. So I may need to work up 2 different loads.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful info.

Respectully,

Murphy