PDA

View Full Version : Pastels + Epoxy

georgerkahn
08-21-2022, 06:41 AM
A "new-to-me" repair worked ever so well I've elected to post it reckoning perhaps others -- like me -- had never considered this. To wit, I had a chip in a plastic stock of more than a minor annoyance to me. Using my wife's eyes (I'm colour blind) to match the colour, I used a razor blade to scrape a bit of Koss Artists Pastels (Amazon.com) onto a plastic mixing (old) lid to match/approximate the stock colour. I then mixed a bit of Gorilla Epoxy, using a plain-Jane wood toothpick to mix in the pastel. Much to my super-amazement, other than the repair colour being just a wee smidgen darker -- it turned out to be a wonderful, seamless repair! (Our guess is the slight yellow tint of mixed epoxy darkened it, again, just a very wee bit. From, say, five feet one cannot see it! Closer examination is needed to see the tint change!)
Again -- I'd never have thought of custom-colouring epoxy for a repair -- and it worked ever so well -- I thought I'd share.303403303404
geo

pworley1
08-21-2022, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the tip.

RustyReel
08-21-2022, 07:42 AM
Yes, thanks for the tip. I have used the coloring agents that come with the Brownells kit but can never seem to get it right. Nice to know that the material added to the epoxy won't compromise it. Often wondered about that.

Nobade
08-21-2022, 09:03 AM
It depends on the epoxy. That 5 minute stuff has a really aggressive curing agent and a little extra material mixed in won't hurt anything to any real degree. But don't go doing that with any high strength epoxies, as the stoichometry needs to be nearly perfect or it won't properly cure. In this case I think that was a brilliant idea!

sparky45
08-21-2022, 09:26 AM
I have a project rifle that Bubba really messed up. Used the butt end of the rifle as a ball bat or some such and cracked the wrist in 3 places. I've glued up the wrist, and now need to fix another place where a ~3cm x5cm area of the stock is missing and it's almost 2.5cm deep, saw'd this chunk out for whatever reason. Would this Epoxy treatment be a solution to a problem?

waksupi
08-21-2022, 01:20 PM
I've used artist acrylic paints for years to mix for the right colors.