PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrelling a Savage 110

Mk42gunner
08-20-2022, 07:15 PM
So I've been having an itch to build a new to me rifle lately, several projects in the works that I can't seem to get started on.

This one started out backwards, I bought a new barrel (stainless) in .30 BR at an estate sale. No name on it, but it looks good. 21 ¼" long, 0.970" at the muzzle, and threaded for a Savage. Dies (and brass) are expensive, but I think I have that figured out. Still need to check the twist, and maybe neck and throat diameter.

Back when it seemed like everybody and his brother were building Savages, I was into Mausers. I have read the article on Brownell's website; seems doable, but I was surprised that an action wrench isn't needed.

So the hunt was on for a Savage 110 with an '06 boltface. They seem to have disappeared in the last few years. I did manage to find one today. Not too old, it has an accu-trigger on it.

Keeping in mind the old adage of "DO NOT shoot the donor," which I will admit has bitten me in the past, I bought one in a cartridge I have zero ammo for, no dies either. The scope is broken too.

If the 30 BR doesn't work out, I can always get an E.R. Shaw barrel in 6.5-06 for it.

Robert

Texas by God
08-21-2022, 08:20 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this project, keep us posted. I've seen 6mm BR brass available- perhaps fireform it to get .30 BR?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Uncle Grinch
08-21-2022, 09:32 AM
Been into Mausers for almost 50 years when I came across a Savage 110 in 270 Win. at a very good price. Not being a 270 fan, I started looking at getting it rebarreled. Much research led me to doing it myself, so I purchased a stainless 26 inch barrel in 6mm REM from ER Shaw. I found a used barrel wrench and rented a set of headspace gauges.

It turned out very good and it was accurate and easy to do.

nicholst55
08-21-2022, 10:11 AM
The big trick may be getting that .30 BR to feed from the magazine.

Uncle Grinch
08-21-2022, 08:18 PM
You could always get the single shot adapter that fits in place of the factory follower. I’ve got one if interested.

Mk42gunner
08-21-2022, 09:05 PM
My current plan is to make a few dummies and try them for feeding before taking the current .270 barrel off. If that fails, the rifle has a very good possibility of becoming a single shot.

This will be a range toy, not a light and handy woods gun. Just for curiosities, I weighed the barrel--four pounds, six ounces.

On one of the Benchrest forums they say that Lapua and Norma brass is better than the Remington, but didn't explain why. Since I know where a few boxes of Remington brass is sitting on a shelf, I will try it Tuesday.

I am thinking of making this a cast boolit rifle, what do you guys think?

Robert

Harter66
08-21-2022, 09:39 PM
I don't want to get you too let down but a 110 variant requires you to remove 2 action screws and the scope if it won't clear the wrench and a barrel vice . Put the barrel in the vice knock the barrel nut loose unscrew the action switch barrels move the nut as needed screw the action down close insert the headspace gauge or factory loaded dummied round close the bolt , bump it tight , check the lift and close , back off to relieve case bind or on a gauge spin the nut down and torque it . Assemble stock and sights . Done .

On an Axis remove the front base there's a likelihood the holes are full of blasting grit that will gall the action threads ....... Don't ask . I don't want to talk about it .

Depending on the barrel you may have to relieve the stock .
Bedding and pillars will make a difference. Apparently the newer rifles are sensitive about action screw torque .

Pm to follow .

Mk42gunner
08-22-2022, 08:55 PM
Glad to read that it is as simple as it seems to rebarrel one of these rifles.

Don't get me wrong, I have owned several 110 variants and shot more over the years; I just never changed the barrel on one. That is part of why I really didn't want to shoot this particular donor rifle.

There are only two things I don't like about this donor action: 1. It has a plastic stock. That's okay, I will probably put a wood or laminate bench/varmint style on it anyway. and 2. It has the Accu-trigger. Never really been a fan of those.

Robert

Mk42gunner
08-24-2022, 04:43 PM
Oops, I made a mistake. The brass I remembered as 6mm Rem BR was actually the Remington basic BR still in small pocket 308 form.

Rural internet issues last night.

barkerwc4362
08-24-2022, 07:26 PM
Which version of the 30 BR is it chambered for? The jacketed versions have a tendency to have a very tight neck area making shooting cast require case neck reaming. I had a custom reamer made to shoot the 200 grain RCBS silhouette bullet. The normal reamer would not allow a case to be chambered without reaming the case necks to paper thin.
Bill

Bird
08-24-2022, 07:32 PM
I too have been considering building a 30br when I can find a suitable donor savage. I am tending to shy away from the heavier recoiling cartridges, and think that this would fill the bill.

Mk42gunner
08-24-2022, 07:58 PM
Which version of the 30 BR is it chambered for? The jacketed versions have a tendency to have a very tight neck area making shooting cast require case neck reaming. I had a custom reamer made to shoot the 200 grain RCBS silhouette bullet. The normal reamer would not allow a case to be chambered without reaming the case necks to paper thin.
Bill
Don't know for sure Bill. I think I am going to have to get some cerrosafe and make a chamber cast to do some measurements on.

I too have been considering building a 30br when I can find a suitable donor savage. I am tending to shy away from the heavier recoiling cartridges, and think that this would fill the bill.

Kind of my thinking. Small case, less powder, less recoil, still a big enough hole in the paper to be able to see it fairly easily.

I did start this project backwards by buying a barrel first, should have found dies first. Brand new Redding's are expensive.

Oh well, I'm having fun and occupying my time.

Robert