PDA

View Full Version : No luck yet on an affordable Texas house yet darn it !!

Ohio Rusty
08-20-2022, 11:43 AM
Prices seem to be coming down lately. My house is out there. My inlaws live in Haslet which is west Ft. Worth. Looking for the $150 price range ...cheaper would be better of course. If any list members west if Ft Worth hear of anything near Springtown, Decatur, Newark, Weatherford, Boyd, Paradise or other little towns about an hours drive away or less from Haslet .... Give me a shout to two_knives@yahoo.com . I'd be happy to follow up on your lead !!
The Good Wyphe doesn't want paneling and would prefer two bathrooms, two bedrooms and a garage. As for me ... all I need is a dresser for my clothes, a lake near by so I can fish, a small place where I can do my hobby blacksmithing and a good place for a reloading bench !! I'd like to be living there before Thanksgiving.
Thanks in advance ....
Ohio Rusty ><> ( I'll need to change my name !!)

AKtinman
08-20-2022, 02:05 PM
Check your email.

deltaenterprizes
08-20-2022, 02:25 PM
When I was looking about 4 years ago $150,000 was the price of a house built in the 1960s just a little newer than what we had.
I added quite a bit more and got a house built in 1984 and it has really appreciated in 4 years.

Ohio Rusty
08-20-2022, 02:25 PM
Nothing came through AKtinman. There is an underscore (the low dash) between the two and the knives. It looks like the underline on the above covered up the underscore.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Electrod47
08-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Check around Midlothian,Venus and Cleburne TX even Waxahachie a short drive to Ft. Worth. Any area around Ft. Worth, be ready to put on your Big Boy traffic pants. I mean 85MPH Bumper to Bumper. Just the way it is. Midlothian is called "Dallas's Souther Star", Lived there 15 years and have kids and even grandkids all still living and working there. Lot of nice people.

Handloader109
08-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Good luck. Here in Nw Arkansas land prices are up probably 50 % in last 3 or 4 years. $30k or more for multiple acres.. a 4 and 6 acre pair of lots went for that per acre last couple of months. Homes? Ha, $200k is about the bottom end

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

GOPHER SLAYER
08-20-2022, 09:34 PM
In my opinion, if 150 is your top end, Texas may not be for you. Everyone should understand about taxes. If a state does not have an income tax, it will have high property taxes. They have to get the money from somewhere to build schools and to pay state employees.

Winger Ed.
08-20-2022, 10:19 PM
Check the property tax rates and appraisal values for the county you'll live in.
A perspective house can be checked in the county appraisal district's public on line records.
It'll tell you what its valued at, how much the taxes were going back a few years.

The state gets it's money from a 6% sales tax, and other taxes & fees.
All your property tax money stays in your county. Most county's rates are high, but some are just stupid high.

And they're full of tricks.
A house in one county might be appraised higher or lower than an exact same one some where else.

Randy Bohannon
08-21-2022, 05:45 AM
Wyoming has the lowest property taxes in the country , no state tax either. Not suggesting anyone move here , but the facts speak for themselves.

Half Dog
08-21-2022, 07:27 AM
I wish you much luck on your quest. Wife and I are wanting to relocate, away from the Dallas area. I see prices coming down slowly so with a bit of patience I’m sure you will find what you’re looking for.

GasGuzzler
08-21-2022, 08:12 AM
I am north and a little east of Ft. Worth in a smaller town, less than 20K. My 3/2/2 has appreciated 238% since I bought it in 2005 and 138% in the last three years. $150K doesn't get you what it used to.

Decatur is a nice area but like Wichita Falls, it's laid out very oddly. Not that it matters. Springtown is very close to Ft. Worth and will have one of the highest tax rates in Texas because it's close to the city but not "inner city" meaning it's somewhat affluent. Consider Bowie and Gainesville.

For what it's worth, the FTW side of DFW is much cheaper than the Dallas side when it comes to real estate and taxes in the suburbs.

Markopolo
08-21-2022, 08:19 AM
Wyoming has the lowest property taxes in the country , no state tax either. Not suggesting anyone move here , but the facts speak for themselves.

Actually Randy, Alaska has no property or state sales tax, and we get paid to live here. It will amount to 10k this year for a family of 3.

Winger Ed.
08-21-2022, 09:37 AM
Actually Randy, Alaska has no property or state sales tax, and we get paid to live here. It will amount to 10k this year for a family of 3.

I'd heard they paid out a 'profit sharing' sort of thing from the oil revenues,
but wasn't sure if they still did it.

nicholst55
08-21-2022, 10:05 AM
Granted, I'm not close to Fort Worth, but just west of Houston in what was labeled as both the fastest growing and most affluent county in the nation a couple of years ago. My property taxes just increased about 30% this year (along with the value of the house). Here we have both property tax and a Municipal Utilities District (MUD) tax; last year, these two combined were over $14K. The good news is that as a 100% disabled veteran, I am exempt from both.

My house is appraised at just over $500K. In this general area, I doubt if $150K would buy you a single-wide trailer. I would much prefer to own a less expensive home, but that simply wasn't a reality when we bought this house last summer. Californians have been selling their million dollar-plus homes and moving to Texas, then buying two houses - one to live in, and one to rent (or flip), driving up the cost of everything.

Electrod47
08-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Go to Zillow, Type in Midlothian TX and a price range 150k-200k and you will see a ton of homes for there and the surrounding area. No these are not affluent homes, just affordable. Many are in decent areas with God Fearing people around, Blur Collar through and through. Why? There's Industry around with plenty of well paying jobs, that's what attracts the God Fearing people.

Winger Ed.
08-21-2022, 01:59 PM
Midlothian is a good place.
A little Southwest-ish from Dallas, but still close.
It's a little higher elevation than Dallas, so the air is clear, and you don't get that big city stink.

David2011
08-22-2022, 11:54 PM
Be aware that property taxes are school taxes in Texas are two separate expenses. Every year we lament that we didn’t buy in a different nearby county because we are slammed with high school district taxes, county property taxes and minimal but aggravating city taxes. I would guess that insurance in that part of the state would be reasonable. Where we live we are hit with “named windstorm” insurance to cover hurricanes on top of homeowner’s insurance but that’s only near the Gulf of Mexico.

Winger Ed.
08-23-2022, 12:32 AM
If you live near a place that can possibly flood--- you'd think the premium for flood insurance was equal to the coverage.

popper
08-23-2022, 11:23 AM
doubt if $150K would buy you a single-wide trailer.
Even a used one. About the same cost of buying an 'old' house (40's pier and beam) and having it moved.

snowwolfe
08-24-2022, 04:04 PM
In my opinion, if 150 is your top end, Texas may not be for you. Everyone should understand about taxes. If a state does not have an income tax, it will have high property taxes. They have to get the money from somewhere to build schools and to pay state employees.

Not if the state is managed properly. TN doesn’t have state income tax and our property tax is way under $1,000 a year on our custom brick home with 42 acres of land. And no toll roads in the entire state. $29 a year to register any passenger vehicle. We do have a high sales tax.