PDA

View Full Version : DOUGGUY does it again

Johnnu
08-20-2022, 08:07 AM
Quite a few years ago, I sent a Ruger Bkackhawk cylinder to DougGuy to perform his magic with his Sunnen hone and general expertise. This past July, he did it again. I sent him another cylinder that was having serious accuracy problems. Once again, a very satisfied customer. His price is right, his turnaround time is great and, most of all, his communications with me was excellent.... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
J.

45workhorse
08-20-2022, 09:13 AM
Agree 100%, on all points.

T-Bird
08-20-2022, 08:51 PM
he did my 686 a few years back. I was very satisfied. Quick turnaround, quality work, nice to communicate with.

Finster101
08-20-2022, 09:23 PM
I have not sent him any revolver stuff yet, but he has done a great job on several semi-auto pistol barrels.

Loudenboomer
08-20-2022, 11:23 PM
Jeez Doug your becoming a Rock Star! :)
Top notch work on my cylinders too.

Anchorite
08-21-2022, 09:29 AM
Those of you with DA revolvers - you have to remove the cylinder, so where do you go for details and diagrams on how to do that? I have some I’d like to send out to him. Thanks.

T-Bird
08-21-2022, 09:45 AM
I can't remember for sure, but I think I sent the entire crane off my 686 not just the cylinder? that was pretty easy to remove.

DougGuy
08-21-2022, 09:56 AM
I can't remember for sure, but I think I sent the entire crane off my 686 not just the cylinder? that was pretty easy to remove.

Most S&W you take out one screw and slide the crane out, the cyllinder (with ejector rod intact) simply slides out of the crane.

Those of you with DA revolvers - you have to remove the cylinder, so where do you go for details and diagrams on how to do that? I have some I’d like to send out to him. Thanks.

Rugers are a LOT more in depth to get the crane out and back in, go to youtube and watch some videos, you get different views watching more than one or two so I found that to be a great source, sometimes I have to use that myself.

Once the Ruger crane is out then you need two skinny punches to hold the hidden spring down while you push out the pin with the other punch. Those can be a little bit tricky, but there's really not enough spring tension to send stuff flying so just be careful with it and do this on a bench or work area that doesn't have a totally flat an clean work area, you want stuff surrounding the work area so if something does decide to jump, it will be confined to the immediate work area and easy to find.

There is a Ruger produced video on a single action revolver, that's pretty neat too, the guy holds the hammer, trigger, pawl, and transfer bar together in his fingers and drops them into the frame as a group. He makes it look SO easy you want to throw something at him!

contender1
08-21-2022, 10:27 AM
This type of post is a recurring themed one.

It sings the praises of a fine gentleman who does excellent work at a very fair price.

While I can handle many chores like this myself,, Doug helped me with a S&W long ago, that made a big difference. I needed the chamber mouths gently chamfered to accept moon clipped ammo faster. While that titanium was a PIA for sure,, Dough handled it very well. Kudos for him & his work,,,,,,,, AS ALWAYS!

T-Bird
08-21-2022, 08:00 PM
That's probably what I did with my 686. Memory ain't what it used to be.:lol:

stripper clip
08-21-2022, 08:39 PM
I’ll chime in here to give high praise for DougGuy as well. He did 3 cylinders for me a while back, single actions, chamfered my 357 Blackhawk as well to make it easier to load. He does great work and sends very thorough communications of measurements etc.
Uniforming chamber throats is way underrated. Makes load development easier, and most important gives me the confidence in my guns that makes me shoot better!
Thanks Doug!