PDA

View Full Version : help with resizing

seabat0603
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking of buying the( Lee lube and sizing kit) to size all my bullets form .38 spcl, .45 acp, and .45 LC. The reasons I am thinking of the LEE C press and included dies,etc. is the cost as well as the fact that the lee pushes the bullet up through the die to resize it and I don't need a top punch. Aside from that, do I have to use the lee dies or would any other sizing dies fit my rock chucker press? I have nothing when it comes to resizing bullets, no equipment or the knowledge so far to decide on what to get. Any help would be great. It looks like to me the LEE system is the way to go if all I want to do is size the bullet a thousands over bore and pan lube after sizing. Again, your thoughts are most welcome.-seabat0603

beemer
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Most all reloading dies are standard 7/8 X 14 thread including the Lee bullet sizers and will work in any standard press. Shell holders are standard also but sometimes the priming hole is a different size on some brands. I would hate to do without my lube sizer but it can get a little expensive to buy the sizer and all the necessary dies. If you intend to pan lube or use LLA you can get by fine with the Lee sizers.

I shoot most of my pistol boolits as cast if I have a style that doesn't use gas checks, just lube and shoot. A sizer is necessary if you use crimp on gas checks, even then size as little as you can get by with.

You are at the right place, this bunch is more than willing to help you get started in the right direction.

beemer

454PB
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
The Lee system works fine. If you really get into this obsession, you may want to invest in a lubrisizer, but you're smart to start simple and inexpensive.

Recluse
01-29-2009, 12:53 AM
And some of us have come full circle. I started with the Lee push-through sizers, decided that casting my own boolits was the only way to go. Then about three, maybe four years ago, I was reading some of the guys' comments on lubesizers and went and bought one. Thought that was the cat's meow. Then I started casting different size boolits and had to start changing dies in the lubesizer. So I bought another lubesizer so I could cut down by half the number of dies and top punches I had to change. But then I bought more boolit moulds, and then worse . . I started experimenting with different lubes. Sure can be a mess cleaning out the lube in a lubesizer. So I ended up selling one lubesizer and keeping the other. I use it very occasionally and do most of my boolits with the Lee sizers and a mix of LLA, JPW and mineral spirits.

Funny thing about circles. . . They're CIRCLES. Now I'm thinking of buying a Star, but I'm not quite sure. I've only pulled the handle on one several times, and that was years ago. I like the nose-first sizing which is why I like the Lee system so well. I hear Star goes nose first, but I also keep hearing about top punches for Star sizers. I really have learned to detest top punches over the years and I got a good mix of LLA/JPW down that doesn't leave any leading and isn't tacky or sticky.

So why think of changing? Because I enjoy the journey more than I do the destination. But a Star is a pretty pricey journey. . . . still thinking on this one.

:coffee: