PDA

View Full Version : copper fouling and PC'd bullets

oley55
08-17-2022, 10:46 PM
It has been my understanding that trace cooper fouling in the barrel tends to act like a lead magnet and will lead foul more easily than a perfectly clean barrel. Consequently I try to segregate my weapons as being; for cast only or for jacketed. If I run both, I deep clean to remove any hint of copper before running cast.

I'm working with a fella trying to get him set up reloading cast bullets in his Henry 45/70 lever. He has been running factory jacketed through it and I got to thinking about the copper fouling thing and lead fouling.

So I have a couple thoughts/questions:
1. Will/does copper fouling increase the likelihood of lead fouling?
2. Since I often hear PC folks saying a PC'd bullet is basically a bullet jacketed in polymer paint. If we are only running PC'd cast bullets, is the trace copper fouling even a concern?

megasupermagnum
08-17-2022, 11:28 PM
I've heard many times copper fouling will cause some kind of problem with lead bullets. In all my time, I have seen precisely 0 issues with shooting lead after jacketed. I've shot jacketed, and cast alternating on the same day with zero issues. No fouling, no accuracy issues, nothing. I would expect no different from coated bullets.

pworley1
08-18-2022, 08:15 AM
I have not had any problems either.

Finster101
08-18-2022, 08:20 AM
I switch from PC to jacketed all the time, in both handguns and rifles. I have different loads and bullet weights for different uses. I have had zero issues with leading. I definitely like PC. It is so much cleaner when handling bullets or loaded ammo.

mdi
08-18-2022, 11:10 AM
I haven't experienced any problems either. But I normally don't shoot jacketed then cast in the same session. I think the copper/lead fouling is more theory than real life problem...

guzma393
08-18-2022, 11:16 AM
My Ruger american ranch x39 gets a fair bit of copper fouling from the cheap russian copper washed ammo i ran it through. After switching to PC casts, I've noticed the PC/GC actually scrubbing out the copper fouling, and no accuracy issues. I never really noticed any performance/fouling issues running FMJs and casts together.

charlie b
08-19-2022, 10:18 PM
LOL, I have the same experience. .308win. The Savage barrel is a copper mine when shooting jacketed. Takes quite a bit to clean it. Then one day I decided to shoot cast (PC with GC) after the jacketed. Good accuracy (as good as shooting from a clean barrel). When I went to clean I found almost no copper in the bore. Those GC's must be a bit tougher than the bullet jacket copper.

So, now whenever I take jacketed ammo to the range I make sure to take at least 5 rounds of cast to finish the day. :)

rickt300
09-22-2022, 05:06 PM
I have had the same experience, shooting a bunch of PC'd gas checked bullets seemed to really clean the barrel to a shine.

Hick
09-22-2022, 07:03 PM
I've heard many times copper fouling will cause some kind of problem with lead bullets. In all my time, I have seen precisely 0 issues with shooting lead after jacketed. I've shot jacketed, and cast alternating on the same day with zero issues. No fouling, no accuracy issues, nothing. I would expect no different from coated bullets.

My experience also

rickt300
09-22-2022, 07:16 PM
I think the lead eventually removes it if it is not really bad. But I have never owned a truly bad barrel that collected a lot of jacket material either.

10x
09-25-2022, 09:00 AM
I have had the same experience, shooting a bunch of PC'd gas checked bullets seemed to really clean the barrel to a shine.
Remember that powder coat does NOT leave a layer of lubrication in the barrel.
Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after shooting powder coated bullets.
That shine is bare metal.

Hanzy4200
09-30-2022, 03:01 PM
If it is a concern, clean the bore out with this stuff. It was recommended to me recently, and I have never used a copper solvent that worked so well. It is absolutely worth the price.

I can say in my experience I have never noted a issue switching between the two, but your mileage may vary.

Hanzy4200
09-30-2022, 03:09 PM
If it is a concern, clean the bore out with this stuff. It was recommended to me recently, and I have never used a copper solvent that worked so well. It is absolutely worth the price.