PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a good car you can't drive????

warren5421
08-15-2022, 04:35 PM
What can I do with a 2009 KIA that looks good but rear sub frame is bad. It can be moved around the drive-way but not drove on the road. Most of the scrap places around me want gas tank removed and all fluids out of engine. I am not putting that work into it for the scrap price. How do I get it gone as wife said to get it gone?

dverna
08-15-2022, 04:39 PM
Put it on Craigslist for parts. Buyer must haul or tow away

prisondoc
08-15-2022, 04:41 PM
https://legion.careasy.org/home

Donate it [emoji115].

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
08-15-2022, 04:52 PM
One of my uncles was a rancher and sold hunting leases on his place.
He used to take old cars, strip the interior out, put in a semi-comfortable chair,
park them out in a field, and use them for a deer blind.

Electrod47
08-15-2022, 05:42 PM
One of my uncles was a rancher and sold hunting leases on his place.
He used to take old cars, strip the interior out, put in a semi-comfortable chair,
park them out in a field, and use them for a deer blind.

Out near a Coleman lease, we put old 18 wheeler sleeper cabs on 12ft channel iron stlits. Very comfortable. We put some on the ground and the elevated ones were called "Penthouses"

Scrounge
08-15-2022, 06:12 PM
What can I do with a 2009 KIA that looks good but rear sub frame is bad. It can be moved around the drive-way but not drove on the road. Most of the scrap places around me want gas tank removed and all fluids out of engine. I am not putting that work into it for the scrap price. How do I get it gone as wife said to get it gone?

Where I live folks come around looking for cars, and you'll often seen signs on the road, like the ones for yard sales, with a number and "I buy cars" on them. That may work for you, or dverna has a good idea, too. In my experience, the car donation places are either a scam, or they don't take undrivable cars. YMMV.

Bill

hiram
08-15-2022, 06:48 PM
If the local high school has an auto shop, you can donate it to them and you get a tax write-off. Also, a veteran organization might take it.

alfadan
08-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Scrappers are everywhere that'll give you $250 if you have the title (maybe if you don't). I doubt very much if they care about gas tanks or oil.

megasupermagnum
08-15-2022, 10:05 PM
Any "scrap yard" that would ask you to remove the tank and fluids is not really a scrap yard. They probably just want to roll it on a train and collect the check. A real scrap yard is also an auto salvage. They will strip the engine and transmission out of it, they take care of the fluids. Also, if you haven't called an auto salvage place, do that. For a running/driving car, you should get more than scrap price. That is the quick way. If you can wait a few weeks, selling private sale such as craigslist or FB marketplace will get you significantly more money. I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out there who would buy it for $800. Replacing a sub frame isn't the end of the world. Someone out there is looking for just such an opportunity.

Idaho45guy
08-16-2022, 02:34 AM
It's crazy to think just how bad the salt is out in the midwest and northeast during the winter and just how much damage it does to vehicles.

When I moved to Iowa, I could not believe the devastation on vehicles just a couple of years old. When I sold my `66 F-100 out there, I advertised it as rust free. I got a call from a guy that refused to believe that it was rust free. I told him we don't salt the roads in Idaho; we sand and gravel them and use snow tires. (back in the 90's in Iowa, I couldn't find a tire shop that sold snow tires. It was weird.)

The guy showed up and crawled underneath the truck with a flashlight, then scooted back out and said he couldn't believe it. Paid me my asking price.

imashooter2
08-16-2022, 02:39 AM
https://legion.careasy.org/home

Donate it [emoji115].

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

I donated a car once. 4 months later the city cops wanted me to call them. Seems "my" car had been towed and they wanted me to pay the impound fees. The whole thing was exceptionally annoying. Thank God I kept the paperwork.

Do what you want, but I’ll never donate another car.

Battis
08-16-2022, 02:42 AM
I recently sold a pickup to a salvage yard for approx $400 (as is, with oil, gas, etc). A year and a half ago, they offered me about $75. The prices go up and down. I could have gotten more money if I sold it privately, but there's a Lemon Law here in MA and I didn't want the hassle. I tried to donate a car once but it was over 10 yrs old and no one would take it.

redneck1
08-16-2022, 04:01 AM
Google coparts , you'll get more then scrap and they will pick it up if they have an auction yard in your area

uscra112
08-16-2022, 04:29 AM
Scrap yards here will accept gas tanks but won't pay for them because people fill them with water and expect to be paid by the pound.

Half Dog
08-16-2022, 07:16 AM
I had a car that I wanted to donate once. The name of the charity implied they use the money for veterans. I checked and most money went to a salary and some to an advertising company. The person who got the high salary also owned the advertising company so he got a double salary. I ended up selling the car.

bedbugbilly
08-16-2022, 08:18 AM
I would certainly drain every last drop of gas out of it - not foe safety sake but if you don't, someone may beat you to it - better in your tank than theirs! :-)

Finster101
08-16-2022, 08:23 AM
I don't think you would have a hard time selling it for parts by listing it on Marketplace or Craigslist. Especially since it runs.

Geezer in NH
08-16-2022, 11:18 AM
With a friend drive it to a big city. Park it, don't leave the keys. It will be gone in a couple of days.

MaryB
08-16-2022, 12:09 PM
If you were near me I would take it and put a sub frame under it that I cut out of a junked car. Or find a jeep frame and make a frankencar for the mud runners here...

Tom Trevor
08-16-2022, 12:32 PM
We donated our daughters old Toyota celica to a "worthy cause " outfit. two months later the police were here. When the guy robed the liquor store it would not start so he ran away. KEEP THE PAPER WORK! Or drop a few nuts down the air horn to lock the engine.

beezapilot
08-16-2022, 12:45 PM
In that long ago on the farm we had "doodle bugs", clapped out cars that were used like golf carts today. Heck, we had a chopped school bus that we used as a big ol' flatbed.

Texas by God
08-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Before ATVs, we used to take unwanted running cars and cut the top off and remove all the doors. Giving us a “Hoopy” to roll around the countryside in. The deputies laughed and told us that he better not see it on the Highway!
As said above, someone will buy it as is.

Rapier
08-16-2022, 03:06 PM
If it is a loved vehicle, Texans have been known to be buried in them, just saying. MS they use them for farm decos on highway 45. Folks and cars. Course at the beach, they get made into a buggy for beach duty.

farmbif
08-16-2022, 03:24 PM
the catalytic converter alone is probably worth more than any scrap yard will pay you for the whole car or you could just call
cars for kids.
https://www.kars4kids.org
tell them Stevie T sent you

fixit
08-16-2022, 09:23 PM
It's been years since I've driven a car to the junkyard, but I've never had those restrictions placed on me! On west side Indianapolis, you can check out zore's, on east side, brother's, and in the past, they have had best payout for drivable junkers. I agree with the statement that you've been contacting the wrong kind of salvage yards.....you want auto specific yards.

Iowa Fox
08-16-2022, 09:52 PM
It's crazy to think just how bad the salt is out in the midwest and northeast during the winter and just how much damage it does to vehicles.

When I moved to Iowa, I could not believe the devastation on vehicles just a couple of years old. When I sold my `66 F-100 out there, I advertised it as rust free. I got a call from a guy that refused to believe that it was rust free. I told him we don't salt the roads in Idaho; we sand and gravel them and use snow tires. (back in the 90's in Iowa, I couldn't find a tire shop that sold snow tires. It was weird.)

The guy showed up and crawled underneath the truck with a flashlight, then scooted back out and said he couldn't believe it. Paid me my asking price.

It is bad.

Roads are crumbling, bridges are spalling with re-rod hanging out, garage floors are etched out to the aggregate, concrete steps to the houses are crumbling in a lot of places. New vehicles just a few years old with rust holes from the inside out.

It's a lot of depreciation expense.

45DUDE
08-17-2022, 12:59 AM
My son has a 4 wheel drive. Shop quoted $1800 labor just to replace the motor. Comes out from the bottom. $3800 total. He passed and junked it. He loaned it to a neighbor to go to work and the water pump belt broke and she kelp driving. It just turned 70000 miles. It brought $500.

warren5421
08-17-2022, 08:40 AM
I am not a car guy so now have an idea where to take it in Indy. 5 body shops said they wouldn't touch it due to liability issues as nothing to weld to.

T-Bird
08-17-2022, 09:23 AM
I donated one to "Kars for Kids". They will come get it, give you a receipt, and you get a tax write off. They help drop-outs get back in school. Heard about it on sirius radio. 1-877-Kars for Kids. Picked mine up the day after I called them. Doesn't have to run- mine didn't.

Bazoo
08-17-2022, 10:57 AM
I had a couple junk cars. My wife put them on Facebook yard sale thing and sold them. One, that didn’t run, but newer brought $250 no title. Just parts. The other, the bronco I wrecked, $100 bucks. Regretted seeing that go as it ran til it set a while. But it was I just 2x4. I had emotional attachment to it and held on about 4 years after I wrecked it. Still regret selling as I’d like another.

Anyways. Facebook market place sometimes has folks looking for scrap cars.

There ain’t no inspection here in KY, long as it runs and stays in your lane, folks drive it.

GregLaROCHE
08-17-2022, 11:00 AM
the catalytic converter alone is probably worth more than any scrap yard will pay you for the whole car or you could just call
cars for kids.
https://www.kars4kids.org
tell them Stevie T sent you

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

45_Colt
08-17-2022, 05:09 PM
Been down this road, not difficult. Find the nearest automotive recycle yard. Find the title.

Carefully drive the car to the yard and drive it right onto the scale. Leave it running, grab the title and head for the office.

They will want to see some ID, have you sign the title, get the weight and give you cash. They will take care of the car from there.

Almost forgot, be sure that someone follows you to have a ride back.

Easy-Peasy...

45_Colt

megasupermagnum
08-17-2022, 07:21 PM
I am not a car guy so now have an idea where to take it in Indy. 5 body shops said they wouldn't touch it due to liability issues as nothing to weld to.

Normally sub frames are bolted on. Maybe yours is a unibody, or maybe where the sub frame bolts to is gone. It's one of those things, where there is a will, there is a way. Without seeing it, I can't give you any kind of guess. I'd really hate to say a 2009 anything is already too far gone, that's really not very old, but if it drove in the winter a lot and never got washed, I suppose it could be.

Still, you have a car with good parts, especially a running engine, and working transmission. A real auto scrap yard will take it in a heartbeat. Look up auto salvage, auto scrap, junkyard (don't go to a metal recycler).

TyGuy
08-17-2022, 07:28 PM
If you have the time you could part it out and scrap the shell. Made about $3,000 profit on an older Acura TL with a wasted engine a few years back. It was fun but was a lot of work and not without headaches. I sold a good bit on eBay and had issues with a few bad buyers. Craigslist was mostly scammers but I sold some of the larger parts there. It seems FB Marketplace is the way to go now but I kicked that habit 10 years ago and won’t be picking it back up.