PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a used pro melt, how to clean it?

Dtdk
08-11-2022, 10:07 PM
I picked up a project that has been out of use for 10-15 years. There is a fair amount of crud / oxidation on the walls of the pot (nothing structural). What is the best way to prep it for my first melt?

Sasquatch-1
08-12-2022, 08:04 AM
I would start by scrapping off as much of the oxidized metal as possible with a flat head screwdriver. Then take an old brass cleaning brush (the bigger the better) and put it on a short piece of cleaning rod chucked up in a drill and run it along the inside of the pot. As for the spout, you will have to heat that up and run a small piece of wire or appropriately sized drill bit in and out by hand.

Or you can just put some lead in it, flux the devil out of it and go from there. While fluxing scrape down the sides with the screwdriver to release any stubborn scale.

Winger Ed.
08-12-2022, 09:10 AM
I would start by scrapping off as much of the oxidized metal as possible with a flat head screwdriver.

Or you can just put some lead in it, flux the devil out of it and go from there. While fluxing scrape down the sides with the screwdriver to release any stubborn scale.

^^^this^^^

Stirring aggressively with molten Lead in it is all you need to do.
As soon as the crud gets loose off the side & bottom, it'll float up.

For the nozzle-- I keep a sturdy paper clip with one end straightened out handy.
Wear a welding glove. One of those heavy BBQ gloves at Home Depot does fine too.
Hold the clip with pliers and poke it in & out of the nozzle while the rod is lifted.
When the Lead flows freely, its clear.

They're good pots.
I got mine in the mid-90s and its still on the job.

lightman
08-12-2022, 01:29 PM
Congratulations! You bought a great casting pot!

You can be as aggressive or as passive as you want to be in cleaning your pot. I've only really cleaned mine one time. I took the linkage apart and moved everything out of the way. I used a round wire brush on a drill on the inside of the pot and polished the point on the rod with fine emory cloth and ran a drill bit through the hole. I did this outside, standing in the shop door with a fan blowing from behind me. I replaced the linkage bolts with stainless ones from the bolt store.

Or like the others have said, just melt some lead, scrape the bottom and sides of the pot and flux it a few times.

swamp
08-12-2022, 01:37 PM
I have 3 of them. I agree with melting lead in it and scraping and fluxing well. Worked on the two used ones I got. I prefer the old over the new.
swamp

David2011
08-12-2022, 03:42 PM
Use it, flux, scrape the sides while hot, flux it again. Cleaning is futile. The crud will be back.

Dtdk
08-12-2022, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys.

Dtdk
08-12-2022, 10:15 PM
I will probably be doing my first melt in it this weekend.

captaint
08-13-2022, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say, I gave my Pro Melt a good cleaning with bronze wool and all. Didn't really make any difference. That was years ago and haven't thought about it since. Like the guys said - just stir it regular and get the dirt off the top. My .02.

barkerwc4362
08-22-2022, 02:18 PM
You can use white vinegar to clean the crud out of the pot. Just get it empty first. The vinegar will dissolve the oxides and help clean the pot. Then rinse the inside of the pot with water. Let it dry and fire it up.
Bill

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-27-2022, 03:35 PM
SNIP>>>

This is what I'd do.
Do it outside, and it would be wise to wear a mask if you notice any powdery dross floating up and away in the air.

Minerat
08-27-2022, 09:04 PM
I used this method on my old Seaco it worked very well.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?301700-Cleaning-a-Casting-Pot

Maven
08-28-2022, 08:19 AM
I've had the "crud build-up" problem with several of my Lee furnaces and address it with a boiling water and wire wheel in my electric drill. (You'll have to do this a couple of times though.) One of the benefits of the clean furnace is much faster heating: Try it, you'll like it.

Dtdk
08-28-2022, 02:30 PM
Well I scraped it down and washed it out. It was mostly mild oxidation and a ton of dust/ dirt.

Winger Ed.
08-28-2022, 04:08 PM
Well I scraped it down and washed it out. It was mostly mild oxidation and a ton of dust/ dirt.

Youi should be set for about 20 years before it needs it again.

Dtdk
08-28-2022, 10:04 PM
Finally got to the first melt tonight. Just did it to do it and clean up the old lead I received.

Dtdk
08-28-2022, 10:05 PM
First time pouring lead, house dint burn down and I am unscathed, so I will call that a success.

Sasquatch-1
08-29-2022, 08:23 AM
First time pouring lead, house dint burn down and I am unscathed, so I will call that a success.

Now, just remember, watch out for lead that may have moisture built up on it. The Tinsel Fairy is very unforgiving.

Winger Ed.
08-29-2022, 10:02 AM
The Tinsel Fairy is very unforgiving.

I've had the fairy re-decorate my ceiling a couple of times.

farmbif
08-29-2022, 08:19 PM
I would save the pro melt for casting bullets and only put clean fluxed alloy ingots into it. get a cast iron pot or something else to melt and flux your alloys to make clean ingots

Dtdk
08-30-2022, 08:45 AM
Yeah, that is my plan. I am making a smelting pot from a stainless keg that I have, and I picked up a Lyman big dipper kit for cheap to do all my tin and pewter in.

Dtdk
08-30-2022, 09:22 PM
I was doing a quick batch before dinner and I got a visit from the tinsel fairy a little cup must have had a double wall, heard a sizzle sound, took a set back and then ther was a pop and there was tin on the floor

Winger Ed.
08-30-2022, 09:36 PM
I preheat everything before I put it in the pot.
Or, fill a cold pot, then turn it on so the temp comes up slow enough to burn the moisture out.

If the humidity is high enough, you can get Lead jumping out of there just by putting a cold ingot in a hot pot.