PDA

View Full Version : 41 Magnum Python

shooting on a shoestring
08-11-2022, 07:03 PM
I don’t have a dog in this fight. Information only.

I’ve heard folks discuss whether or not there were actually any Colt Pythons factory made in 41 Magnum. If you’re one of those it may interest you to know that Collector’s Firearms in Houston just listed one with original box. It’s got an 8” barrel and is blued. Made in 1980. I’m thinking they want to keep it because they priced it at $18,500.

Nueces
08-11-2022, 07:10 PM
It's one of several aftermarket conversions, not 41 Magnum from Colt's. So stated in the description and a close look at the caliber marking on the left side of the converted 8" 38 Special barrel shows hand stamping.

ddixie884
08-11-2022, 10:59 PM
Colt did make at least 1 .400 Colt special. I agree that all .41 Mag Pythons are aftermarket.

Ecramer
08-12-2022, 01:27 AM
I've always found it sad it wasn't built -- they definitely planned a .41 Magnum Python, because it was mentioned in some of their advertising. I saw the ads personally. Then it was never marketed. I never learned why.

derek45
08-12-2022, 08:09 AM
I saw one in a gunstore near STL back in the late 1980's

It was a custom job, and the store owner stated he was sure it was strong enough.

I was interested,......but leery

Nueces
08-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Another chambering Colt experimented with was the 256 Magnum, which also did not make it to market.

MGD
08-13-2022, 10:35 AM
Not trying to start a fight, just pass on info. A friend picked up a 41 mag Python in the mid 90s. I questioned him about it, he just bought what he thought was a neat gun. At the time I was working in the firearms industry and I reached out to contacts that I dealt with at Colt. I was told that Colt had made up 100 each of 41 mag and 44 mag Pythons as an engineering exercise. Most were destroyed in testing. The survivors were cleaned up and sold to Colt employees.

Again, I am not starting a fight and have no corroboration. Passing on what was told to me by a Colt employee.

Jtarm
08-18-2022, 11:44 AM
Peebles gun shop, Arlington Texas (long gone) converted a bunch back in the ‘80s. I actually saw them. No way could I afford one back then (or probably now.)

While the frame & forcing cone are strong enough, given the Python’s reputation for going out of time, I suspect it would be accelerated by the increased rearward thrust of a .41 magnum.

gwpercle
08-19-2022, 01:57 PM
I've always found it sad it wasn't built -- they definitely planned a .41 Magnum Python, because it was mentioned in some of their advertising. I saw the ads personally. Then it was never marketed. I never learned why.

Because , like Rodney Dangerfield , the 41 Magnum ... Don't Get No Respect !

My avatar is my S&W model 58 - 41 Magnum ...
To heck with Colt their revolvers suck rocks .
Gary

rintinglen
08-19-2022, 04:58 PM
A friend of mine bought one of those Texas made 41's, but I don't know whether I ever heard the name of the gunsmiths. I never got to shoot it but Rick said it worked well and was very accurate.

I will say though that I am calling shenanigans on the claim that Colt tried to make 44 magnums out of Pythons. My Python cylinder is 1.55" in diameter and the cylinder walls are about .097 thick--drilling a .459 chamber would leave darned little steel to contain 43,500 CUP. About .059" if I did the math right.