PDA

View Full Version : brakes

wgr
08-11-2022, 02:09 PM
any way for one guy to bleed brakes

kayala
08-11-2022, 02:20 PM
Sure, why not; hook up vacuum pump and you should be good. Something like this (https://www.amazon.com/MV8000-Automotive-Tune-up-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B00265M9SS/)

Nobade
08-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Speed Bleeders are good things. Vacuum pump works too.

Finster101
08-11-2022, 02:35 PM
You can actually just gravity bleed them. Make sur the master cylinder is full, open one bleeder and watch for clear fluid without any bubbles to flow from the bleeder. Make sure the master does not get low on fluid. Do this for each bleeder and try the pedal. If it feels a little soft repeat the process. This method takes time and patience, but it does work.

megasupermagnum
08-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Yes, and you don't even need fancy stuff. I never could understand why people always did the two person pump-hold-bleed method.

Just take a hose that fits your bleeder nipple. Put a loop in in using a zip tie. Attach the hose to the bleeder, and make sure the top of the loop is above the bleeder, another zip tie can help. Run the other end of the hose into a catch bottle. Crack open the bleeder, and pump. It's that easy, and it works better than the two person method.

Mal Paso
08-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Just don't run the antilock brake assy dry or you will need a Scanner to bleed that. Those go back quite a few years now.

Woodtroll
08-11-2022, 05:17 PM
If you do this often, these are well worth the money:

https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/domestic-bleeder-kits

gunther
08-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Go see your pharmacist; ask for a 30cc irrigation syringe. They have a tapered plastic tip that fits several sizes of tygon tubing. Figure out the tubing size that fits your bleeders. make a wire hanger for the syringe, remove the plunger. connect to the bleeder, and hang it on some part of the suspension.Fill the syringe with brake fluid, and crack the bleeder. Gently pump the brake pedal. bubbles come up through the syringe, and fluid goes back into the system. Save the plunger, put it back into the barrel of the syringe to keep it clean when you are finished.
Newer cars are metric, often 10 mm. You will most likely need a bleeder wrench, too.

Farmall-130
08-11-2022, 07:04 PM
1/4” ID clear hose from hardware store. Empty clear soda bottle.
Remove master cylinder cap & insure it’s full. Push hose on the farthest bleeder from the master cylinder (usually right rear). Crack open bleeder & observe fluid flowing thru tubing. Be patient. Check master cylinder fluid level often. When satisfied no more bubbles, close bleeder & move to RR, then RF, last LF.
Note: may be best to check all bleeders FIRST to insure they’re not rusted fast.

BLAHUT
08-11-2022, 08:14 PM
You can purchas a bleader at horbor freght there are cheep easy to do by your self

Mal Paso
08-11-2022, 09:26 PM
Just grab any of us with Old Man Skin, you'll have your bleeder. Probably been around long enough to know brakes too.

BMW Rider
08-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Just grab any of us with Old Man Skin, you'll have your bleeder. Probably been around long enough to know brakes too.

:drinks::goodpost: That's the truth right there.

truckerdave397
08-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Gravity is your friend. I have bleed many by just opening the bleeder and let the brake fluid run.

megasupermagnum
08-12-2022, 09:38 AM
While I'm sure gravity bleeding can work, how long would it take? 30 minutes per wheel? Ain't nobody got time for that.

truckerdave397
08-12-2022, 11:12 AM
While I'm sure gravity bleeding can work, how long would it take? 30 minutes per wheel? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Well you did ask how to bleed them by yourself. I have also used a siphon sprayer to suck the brake fluid out of the bleeder. Just stick the hose part on the bleeder and hit the sprayer with a little air. Be careful not to blow brake fluid all over.

Scorpion8
08-12-2022, 12:22 PM
LOTS of YouTube videos on this topic, search for "ChrisFix"(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc)

GregLaROCHE
08-12-2022, 03:11 PM
When bleeding small aircraft brakes, we would pump the break fluid in through the bleeder valve up to the master cylinders. There were one for each wheel. They were always higher than the wheels and it was easy to get all of the air out. I have always wondered if it would work on cars and trucks. I haven’t needed to bleed any brakes since then to try it.

elmacgyver0
08-12-2022, 03:36 PM
I used to do all my own repairs, too lazy or too old anymore, take your pick.

megasupermagnum
08-12-2022, 07:30 PM
When bleeding small aircraft brakes, we would pump the break fluid in through the bleeder valve up to the master cylinders. There were one for each wheel. They were always higher than the wheels and it was easy to get all of the air out. I have always wondered if it would work on cars and trucks. I haven’t needed to bleed any brakes since then to try it.

It would definitely work, but it isn't something you want to do. I'm surprised you are allowed to do it on aircraft. If you are working on a car or truck, you are certainly working on a used brake system. The systems build up little bits of dirt and rubber inside, and worst of all your brake fluid is hydroscopic. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is only good for a couple of years. Despite that, there are people who run it until something fails. Getting that old fluid out is almost more important than getting the air out. In the racing world, a lot of people bleed brakes with fresh fluid every single race. I'm guessing airplanes don't get their brakes hammered on nearly as much, so maybe they can run a different kind of fluid that handles different conditions. Do they use DOT 5?

Finster101
08-12-2022, 07:45 PM

I'm guessing if he asked this question, he is not in a shop working flat rate.

kfd518
08-12-2022, 07:59 PM
This is why it’s recommended to flush the system. This can be done by gravity, vacuum, pressure.
, two man system. Last time I did it on my ram it took me 45 min from start to finish to flush them all. If you are having to replace a wheel cylinder to make bleeding necessary crack the other side to let it start while you go about your business repairing the other side check the tubing periodically and close then move to another of you see clear fluid before you finish what you are doing with replacement. Efficiency of work should be the name of the game
In anything you undertake. Don’t underestimate the value of your time it is a finite number.

GregLaROCHE
08-13-2022, 02:39 AM
It would definitely work, but it isn't something you want to do. I'm surprised you are allowed to do it on aircraft. If you are working on a car or truck, you are certainly working on a used brake system. The systems build up little bits of dirt and rubber inside, and worst of all your brake fluid is hydroscopic. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is only good for a couple of years. Despite that, there are people who run it until something fails. Getting that old fluid out is almost more important than getting the air out. In the racing world, a lot of people bleed brakes with fresh fluid every single race. I'm guessing airplanes don't get their brakes hammered on nearly as much, so maybe they can run a different kind of fluid that handles different conditions. Do they use DOT 5?

In my experience with aircraft. The old fluid was drained out and what I mentioned was adding all the new fluid to the system from the bottom. They didn’t hold that much volume. I can’t remember the specs for the fluid, but it definitely wasn’t the same as used with cars and trucks. It was bright red. Once an employee found some in my shop and added it to a Ford truck. Within a week the whole system was wiped out and had to be completely overhauled.

Finster101
08-13-2022, 07:16 AM
In my experience with aircraft. The old fluid was drained out and what I mentioned was adding all the new fluid to the system from the bottom. They didn’t hold that much volume. I can’t remember the specs for the fluid, but it definitely wasn’t the same as used with cars and trucks. It was bright red. Once an employee found some in my shop and added it to a Ford truck. Within a week the whole system was wiped out and had to be completely overhauled.

That would be Dot 5 silicon fluid most likely. It is not at all compatible with Dot 3 or 4.