PDA

View Full Version : Is reloading a viable option for new low volume shooters?

lancem
08-07-2022, 10:32 PM
In my work crew I have several shooters that I would consider low volume. Mostly because they have kids and other more important things to consider. I've been reloading for almost 40 years, so my equipment is long paid for and needless to say I have free time. They want me to show them how to reload, no problem there, but what do you think, would they maybe be better off buying ammo and enjoying their range time or probably cutting their range time to zero in order to buy components, that are pretty much not available, and equipment? I will say it has been an enjoyable hobby for me and at this stage with the amount of shooting I have done, casting and reloading have made shooting a hobby I could afford that if I had to buy all of the ammo I have shot I probably would have never gotten to this stage. What do ya think?

ascast
08-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Where is the breakeven pointy? good question. I never loaded shotgun slugs as 5 at 50 cent to a dollar each would last a season or two. same with shot loads. I think you can calculate how many you shoot in a year, the cost difference and use that as a base line. I would certainly show them how to use a concentricity gage in either case as it can be used to selct good/bad factory rounds. I would show them and see what happens.

deltaenterprizes
Reloading components and equipment are are scarce at the present time so it , IMHO is not the best time to jump into the game.
If they can find components or if you are willing to part with some other your stash it would be a good time to teach them so in the future if things become available for reasonable prices they will know how and what to do.
Unfortunately there is always a reloader they quits because of many reasons and the equipment becomes available usually at reduced prices.
If they know how to use it it can be what they need to get started with a reasonable investment.

contender1
Well, each person has their own ideas as to how much they will shoot,, OR,, how much they want to shoot.

I started in 1977,, and like you,, have recovered my investments by the volume I've enjoyed shooting long ago.

And,, maybe by teaching them to handload,, you may help them become more than a low volume shooter. And by showing them things,, as well as helping them find "deals" in equipment,, that their budgets can afford, you may well lead them down the path of being better shooters.

I have a young man, (26) that is currently getting started in handloading. I'm helping him find equipment,, AND within his budget. Used,, but good stuff can go a long way. Heck, just today,, I went & purchased a complete reloading set-up from an older gentleman,, who wanted to sell it all at one time. He knows he's not going to shoot a larger volume anymore,, and wanted to move all his stuff. Well, I bought it all, and my young friend will be reaping the benefits of reduced expenses & getting good equipment. What he doesn't need,, I'll have for the next person who wants to get into it.

Dusty Bannister
08-07-2022, 10:56 PM
Estate sales and retiring from reloading are about the only sources for some components these days. That can also be a great source of equipment for the first time reloader getting started. And it will also perhaps have some equipment that might be useful later.

For the low use shooter, there are various on line sources that might be a good source for the guys to group order for a good price. If nothing else, it will produce a source of once fired brass. Be sure to tell these guys to save their brass, someone can use it.

imashooter2
08-07-2022, 11:05 PM
This has to be the worst time to start in my lifetime. The only people I know that are still shooting as much as they want are shooting supplies that they acquired years ago.

Cargo
08-07-2022, 11:21 PM
To me I think you'd need to define what they/you consider low volume. When my family of five goes to the range and we shoot 75 rds each of mixed centerfire, that amounts to 375 rds. Figure a minimum of $0.60 per rd at today's prices and $100 in range fees and that puts me at $325 per trip to the range, at a minimum. For me, a single stage and the basic necessities would pay themselves off fairly quickly.

It also would depend on calibers they're using. Rifle ammo is still very limited in variety and amounts in my area. Also, other than .223 it's all $1.00+ per rd.

Three44s
08-07-2022, 11:51 PM
The shortages of components should make used reloading equipment easier to find.

The greatest shortfall in components lately is primers.

As bad as things are, I would buy what is half way reasonable and as few primers to just get by until things moderate.

Learn the craft and be ready to pounce by acquiring the tooling when the opportunity presents itself to stock up on components.

Three44s

Milky Duck
08-08-2022, 02:52 AM
if I could start over again.....having now got one to use and seen just how good it is...I would get LEE whackamole loaders for all cartridges...if your buddies are only really a single calibre type of guy...this would be a VERY good way for them to get into it...... the other way to do it..they buy the components,and hold onto them...and come over to your place and load rounds under your watchful eye..... they use your press and dies if you have right calibre.... and the initial investment isnt a lot.... they get to see how things work...they get good loads at a good price..and you get to pass on some knowledge and skills.....

dverna
08-08-2022, 03:19 AM
Not a one size fits all answer. Every person is different. Different needs. Different attitude about the work, or for some fun, of reloading.

Teach them how to reload. They can determine for themselves if it is something they want to do.

Lastly, if a person cannot calculate the cost per round to reload, and determine if it makes economic sense, they should not be reloading. It is not a "nice" thing to say, but this is not an activity for foolish people.

414gates
08-08-2022, 03:38 AM
Not a one size fits all answer. Every person is different. Different needs. Different attitude about the work, or for some fun, of reloading.

Teach them how to reload. They can determine for themselves if it is something they want to do. .

+1

Let them decide if they consider it worthwhile or not.

Some people reload to shoot, others shoot to reload, and some don't want to reload.

Years ago, I offered some youngsters my sons' ages the opportunity to join a shooting club, as they claimed to be avid shooters. They were mostly volunteer members of the local community security group. I had arranged to form a club with them, with a dedicated range. I expected that would naturally progress to reloading for some of them.

These few friends created a social media group, and soon there were nearly thirty of them ready to participate.

They thought they were going to attend range-blasting sessions, with ammo provided. Interest faded fast when they realised they had to bring their own ammo. Out of that entire group, not one was interested in reloading.

In fairness, during their community firearm training sessions, range ammo was provided for them, they probably expected the same.

The point is that wanting to shoot doesn't necessarily mean wanting to reload.

Milky Duck
08-08-2022, 04:26 AM
the other reason to reload is to tailor loads to meet a need...EG why I got whackamole loader for the .12ga to make light and fast steel loads for our son to use when progressing up from the .410
did same with the .308 for him... dropped projectile weight to 125-130grn Jword and dropped a couple of grains of powder charge..they killed very well,as did the 150grn loads that followed again 2grs lower load..... less recoil but still killed well and lad didnt start to develop that dreaded "starts with F and rhymes with grinch"...
this site is living proof folks like to tinker with loads....the many light loads using "the load" proove this beyond all doubt....
Grandpas .30/06 can be tamed down to 30/30 levels with careful reloading..perfect for youth.

Idaho45guy
08-08-2022, 04:39 AM
For the average shooter... Absolutely not. If they are shooting 9mm and .223 rounds, then reloading is not for them. Even shooting .40 S&W and 10mm loads, it is not viable unless they are accuracy hounds and capable of really wringing out the accuracy of custom loads.

Land Owner
08-08-2022, 05:23 AM
Here are some thoughts and considerations:
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?445077-Brand-new-to-everything-(except-shooting)-guy-here&p=5432100&viewfull=1#post5432100

Nobody has to break their bank to get into reloading or casting. It is a life-long journey. Start slow - a few hundred bucks. Build a solid foundation. If they like to shoot now, and who doesn't(?), if they would like to shoot more accurately - beyond and including "blamo" ammo, if they hunt or want to hunt, they should consider becoming a small arms ammo manufacturer themselves.

As others and I have often said, a Lee Loader is about as complete, inexpensive, and easy as it gets - except for expendable components. If a Lee Loader doesn't cure their itch, the SKY's THE LIMIT.

In the end, every piece of reloading equipment can be sold for its initial investment and in times like these, for MORE - unless it has been bludgeoned into uselessness, and then along the way the manufacturer will replace it with a new one, no questions asked. In general, a reloader does not abuse his equipment. Stuff happens. As you know, most reloading equipment is robust and will outlast a human lifetime of use.

Shawlerbrook
08-08-2022, 06:23 AM
A very interesting question and many great comments above. I have been reloading for decades so my equipment is long ago bought and paid for. I shoot many rare or semi obsolete calibers so for me reloading is a must. I agree that good used equipment is the way to go and I still buy it when I see a good deal. The Lee whacka mole is a good option and how I started. Another option is if you have a friend that will let you use their equipment and mentor you to get started. For me, time is still an issue, especially in the good weather, even though I am retired. I agree the biggest bottleneck, for all reloaders, old and new right now is primers.

pworley1
08-08-2022, 07:00 AM
If only basic equipment is used, and with a little looking around the equipment can usually be found used in good condition, the investment can be saved in ammunition cost very soon. If like most of use they enjoy loading as much as shooting they will be both loading and shooting more. If they start casting it will increase even more.

bedbugbilly
08-08-2022, 07:31 AM
Shortage of supplies coupled with inflation = a poor time to get started IMHO. We all supposedly got started to "save money" - well, how did that pan out for everyone, including myself? Looking back in time, there were a lot of folks who were "once in a while shooters" who probably did save $$ by using a Lee "whack a mole" loading set or a set of Lyman 310 dies and tongs - unfortunately, we have several generations of young people who have to have "instant gratification" and the "best" who go into deep debt with charge cards at the sake of their young families - if not reloading, then other "toys".

If an established reloader can help teach a young person how to reload, I think it's great - especially if they have components they can share. But for young'uns who have a wife and family to feed, clothe, put overpriced gas in the car to get back and forth to work and then still have enough to make house payments, property taxes and have any extra for medical care and unforeseen expenses - this is not the time to "add" a hobby where just the components, let alone the needed equipment, can quickly add up dollar wise.

If U had the equipment and components to share, then yea, teach on . . . but personally, I would not try to influence an individual to pursue it right now, knowing that they have other responsibilities where their money is needed and better served. Just my humble thoughts.

farmbif
08-08-2022, 07:54 AM
if your thinking about teaching someone else to reload it might be prudent to be sure they are first interested in buying their own reloading book and reading the instructional parts first. The last thing this sport needs is a new breed of irresponsible reloaders. the gear needed to reload its availble today , sure there are some products out of stock but if you mix and match brands you can get what you need to reload most all the common calibers. of course there are people who want to go to range and shoot a bunch every so often that can't or dont want to justify the expense of reloading gear and components just as there are some who have no problem cranking out a few hundred rounds for each of their buddies. but whichever range of the spectrum it might be I think of reloading gear like tools or a PC, "personal computer". never loan tools unless you dont care if they come home or not.

Finster101
08-08-2022, 08:06 AM
There are people that love them but, if I had to start off with a Lee Loader I would never have gotten in to reloading. They might be great to take to a cabin or hunt camp but there is no way I would recommend them to a new reloader to produce their main ammo supply.

GhostHawk
08-08-2022, 08:14 AM
A single stage press, or even the Lee Hand press. A couple of sets of dies, I'd have them start out with jacketed bullets. But as pointed out above, you could source all of that for about the cost of ammo for one range trip. Don't encourage them to jump in with both feet. Start by saving brass. Then watch for sales of jacketed bullets in their primary calibers. Then if they decide to try it, a pound or 2 of powder and a sleeve of primers. If you panic buy you could easily spend 175$ to over 200$ for a thousand primers. But if you shop around, do some due diligence. And strike when the primers are on sale at a reasonable price.

You could end up with significant savings.

georgerkahn
08-08-2022, 08:20 AM

Teach them how to reload. They can determine for themselves if it is something they want to do.

Lastly, if a person cannot calculate the cost per round to reload, and determine if it makes economic sense, they should not be reloading. It is not a "nice" thing to say, but this is not an activity for foolish people.

Once again Don (Dverna) is spot on, imho! The THREE major (again, imho) factors include: 1/ "Recreation of (re)loading" -- Hey -- compare the time spent versus one, say, sitting at a bar, in front of a television, or other free-time activity; 2/ OP did not mention calbre(s) -- e.g., simple to load hand-gun (e.g., .38 S&W Special, 9mm L&P, etc.) versus, say, wildcat rifle calibres; and 3/ (A big one for me) Are calibres NOT on the shelves of local stores (e.g., .38WCF, .25-20, etc.) the ones needed? I have a few firearms -- e.g., a .30-30 Remington rifle -- for which ONLY reloads enable it being shot!
Some thoughts on query.....
geo

trebor44
08-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Learning to reload doesn't mean you have to do it. But it is a nice "skill" to have. The knowledge of how ammo is 'made' just adds to the overall 'gun culture' population.

toallmy
08-08-2022, 08:41 AM
A single stage press , dies , & a good powder scale are available used or new at a very reasonable cost + they will last a lifetime . Pick up a pound of powder , a couple hundred primers with a box or two jacketed bullets a new reloader is in business . But honestly very few people are willing to set down and take the time to load themselves a box or so of ammunition .

Land Owner
08-08-2022, 09:29 AM
There are people that love them but, if I had to start off with a Lee Loader I would never have gotten in to reloading. They might be great to take to a cabin or hunt camp but there is no way I would recommend them to a new reloader to produce their main ammo supply.

Look at where you are coming from - for everyone that is a different place. Did you KNOW you wanted to reload when you started shooting? Did you start with an unlimited budget? Did you Go All In right out of the chocks? I sure didn't and I don't believe most did either. I knew I wanted in, but not All In out of the gate.

You cannot sit in judgement - now - knowing what you know - now - and condemn a fellow who has NO IDEA what you mean by "main ammo supply" when there is practically no ammo on the LGS shelf or if there is, it costs and arm and a leg for 20 rounds.

Based on supply and demand - now - it is justifiable to start slow and ease into reloading with COST AVERAGING over time for the fellow that doesn't (can't / won't) shoot a lot. If his motivation and financial situation improve over time, he might reconsider and Go All In.

Heck, if he figures out he doesn't like it, he can sell his stuff for what he paid for it, or maybe make a slight profit, since he did the leg work to gather it together in this time of lack.

rbuck351
08-08-2022, 10:37 AM
I think it depends on what you call low volume. If a person only shoots 3 or 4 rounds a year for his hunting rifle to check zero and shoot a deer, then no. If a person shoots even 50 rounds a year, I think it starts to make sense. Start with one caliber and buy used tools. A lee whack a mole will work but any cheap older single stage and a set of used dies would be better. A used scale can be bought for $20/$25 but the lee powder scoops will also work.
The big issue now is primers but even a couple of flats at $10/$12 each will load a bunch of ammo for a low volume shooter. With careful buying of used equipment, a pound of powder, a box of primers and a box of bullets could get you started for around $200. Rifle ammo now is around $2+ per round so 100 rounds loaded and you are at the break even point.
I started about 60 years ago with a Lee whack a mole in 12 ga and it has cost me a small fortune. But, I have shot many thousands of dollars worth of ammo and could sell my supplies and equipment for a lot more than I have spent.
The answer is yes for some and no for others

lightman
08-08-2022, 10:41 AM
Economy wise, I would simply put a pencil to it. Browse the Midway site and make a list of equipment and components. Then compare it to the cost of whatever ammo they want to shoot. Loading 9mm will take longer (forever) to pay for itself while something like any of the Weatherby's or a 7mm STW will pay off quicker.

In my opinion, its a great time to be a reloader but not so great of a time to get into it. But I am seeing equipment coming back into stock and even powder and bullets. Primers, not so much.

MostlyLeverGuns
08-08-2022, 10:58 AM
IT DEPENDS. If you are shooting 9mm, 223, 40 S&W, 308 maybe not, a box, even two of 30-30's, 30-06 or 270 a year is not enough. Now if you want to shoot your 35 Remington, 32 Special, or 444 Marlin, reloading may be something to consider. First READ a couple reloading manuals, find someone who may show you what is involve. Start with jacketed bullets, then maybe buy some cast bullets from reliable sources. You DO NOT NEED all the equipment 'enthusiasts' and equipment junkies talk about to load good cartridges. Special equipment for case cleaning, primer pocket prepping, bullet molding and bullet sizing all come after learning how to simply load a metallic cartridge. Shotshell is very different than metallic cartridge reloading but there are common processes. The InterNet can be helpful BUT there is plenty of bad advice too. Again READ manuals from the Lyman, Speer, Lee for the reloading concepts, not just YouTube videos.

Baltimoreed
08-08-2022, 10:59 AM
The big question is simple, are they gun people. If they are not why bother? Owning a firearm or three does not make you a gun person. I didn’t become a gun guy until I was in my very late 20s after moving from Baltimore to NC and started doing muzzleloading matches and m/l hunting to building cf loads for deer hunting and .45acp for ipsc matches. Most of the guys I’ve worked with had guns, deer or bird hunted but weren’t gun people. Only a few reloaded, fewer competed. Only one family member [on my wife’s side] reloaded and competed in High Power matches and shot at Camp Perry. Bad time to get into reloading imo unless you’re gifted a setup. Supplies are out there but spotty. Saw powder, bullets for a decent price Saturday at Raleigh but primers are still stupid. Good luck.

1hole
08-08-2022, 11:21 AM
It hard for us old hands to actually address what's "right" for other people's reloading needs without projecting ourselves into it. Not only is that not fair to the noob, it's absolutely wrong more often than not. Not everyone is as nutty about reloading as I am so I never tell anyone else to buy what I like best.

Fact is, there are several valid justifications for reloading; each subdivision requires different tools for now and future goals. Just wanting "cheep" ammo for a game gun or occasional plinking ammo in common calibers is rarely cost effective.

About cost conscious reloaders; I believe most casual shooters on a tight budget will be much better served with .22 RF arms and ammo than a press. Not only are .22s fun, they're much more cost effective than reloading and the low noise/light recoil allow the casual gunner to better concentrate on the imperative shooting fundamentals of safety, grip, sight alignment, follow through, breathing and trigger control.

After several bricks of low cost .22 RF shooting his skills, tastes and experience will guide him to intelligently determine what the next level of his shooting desires might be. In my observed experience, most folks realistic desires will rarely include reloading.

Finster101
08-08-2022, 11:39 AM
Look at where you are coming from - for everyone that is a different place. Did you KNOW you wanted to reload when you started shooting? Did you start with an unlimited budget? Did you Go All In right out of the chocks? I sure didn't and I don't believe most did either. I knew I wanted in, but not All In out of the gate.

You cannot sit in judgement - now - knowing what you know - now - and condemn a fellow who has NO IDEA what you mean by "main ammo supply" when there is practically no ammo on the LGS shelf or if there is, it costs and arm and a leg for 20 rounds.

Based on supply and demand - now - it is justifiable to start slow and ease into reloading with COST AVERAGING over time for the fellow that doesn't (can't / won't) shoot a lot. If his motivation and financial situation improve over time, he might reconsider and Go All In.

Heck, if he figures out he doesn't like it, he can sell his stuff for what he paid for it, or maybe make a slight profit, since he did the leg work to gather it together in this time of lack.

No, I did not go all in. I found a used single stage press, 1 set of dies, a scale and a powder trickler. I did not even get all that at one time but that was my setup for almost two years. If I had started with a whack-a-mole I would have quit on the first session. I would rather encourage someone to put together a good small kit to start with rather than discourage them with the cheapest option just because it's the cheapest. Components are going to be the same no matter what the setup.

Thumbcocker
08-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Agree

schutzen-jager
08-08-2022, 11:47 AM
jmho - for the time being the current situation for what it currently is buying factory ammo on sale would be more economical for low usage - be on the lookout to find a deal on used equipment for future use - personally w/o reloading now i would not be shooting as often as i do - using decades old components + equipment - currently running low on wheel weights but have enough scrap lead to last longer then i do - anybody else buy a stockpile of primers when Clinton was president + he wanted to regulate storage life of primers ???

reddog81
08-08-2022, 02:01 PM

That's a blunt but very accurate statement. Realistically if they are "low volume" shooters because they have a family and other priorities, the chance they'll have time to reload is slim. I introduced a friend to shooting and he was interested in reloading so I showed him how my Hornady Lock and Load progressive press worked. Even on something like that he knew that the chance he'd find time to get it setup, learn the details of reloading and use it was slim. Between hauling around 3 school aged kids to sports and activities and working full time he's lucky to make it to the range once per month. Showing him all the steps that it takes on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker would have been pointless as there would have been zero percent chance that would work out.

If I had shown him how a Lee Loader works, he would have fallen a sleep. If I had started on a Lee Loader I would have given up quickly.

Land Owner
08-08-2022, 03:18 PM
I bought land that came "loaded" with game in the form of feral hogs, deer, and turkey from the adjacent "No Hunting" State land. I had a LOT of "trigger time" when my kids were very young, bringing in meat for the table, and toward that effort my desire and need to reload became fundamental and necessary. I suppose I should have quit in discouragement as Lee Loaders are said to be no good and they're cheap though I made superb ammunition on them for 3 years.

atr
08-08-2022, 03:39 PM
I think if they want to have a lifetime shooting sport then I would encourage them to get into reloading. They should start small and if possible buy used but good equipment, there is plenty available.
atr

Geezer in NH
08-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Folks need to make ther own decision IMHO.

I reload to shoot it is a pain to do. When Surplus was very available, I did not load 1 round of ammo. I shot cheap and enjoyed every shot.

That time is over again. Now I reload so I can shoot more. Period.

Seems it has been hard to beat factory rounds for accuracy, but they are not available again, so reloading becomes necessary again.

Keeps repeating eh?

Harter66
08-08-2022, 06:16 PM
What does the cartridge or cartridges you want to shoot cost per 100 ? Do you shoot 100 of 2-3 per year ?

I started casting because 45 Colts jumped from $32/100 to 38/50 for 50 rounds marginally suited for my needs . I already reloaded so it was just a switch from shopping bullets to making my own .

The basic Lee kit was about $150 then and the RCBS Partner kit was about 180 . $25 for the mold , yard sale stuff to get the lead hot , and from the hot to the mould , about $10 .

At that time it cost me about $6/100 for Colts and 5/100 for 9/38/357 .

You can still get into the needed tools and basic essentials for 1000 rounds of most pistols and many rifles under $500 .
Now I don't know what you're loading but 357 is hovering around 50/100 and 45 Colts is closer to 150/100 the last I looked . 264 WM pushes 250/100 . If you get a good break 223 is about $150/1000 and 9mm Wolf has been scene around 110/1000 . Do you shoot 20 reloads of a 70-80/100 every 5-6 weeks or are you still shooting those 100 rounds you bought with the new rifle in 2015 ?

Persuasive argument? I shoot a half dozen out of print and/or very expensive to shoot cartridges . If I only shot the 6.5&7.7 Japanese, 264 WM , 32 Rem , 45 Colts , and 45-70 , its a no brainer . Every one of those is pushing $50 a box at $80-250/100 , maybe more today . I don't shoot often enough but it's not unusual for me to burn 100-150 rounds when I do get out . I don't shoot the 10-15¢ a round FMJ 223 and 9mm so it makes sense for me to reload .

There is an App , reloaders assistant , that has a calculator for cost per component and load data to give you a guide for charge weight .
At $14/100 for 14/20 AR family cartridges and as little as 8/100 for 45 Colts and 45-70 that is 80-150/100 on the shelf I almost can't afford to not reload and cast .

Frosty Boolit
08-08-2022, 06:20 PM
If any of them shoots 45/70 the answer is yes it is worthwhile.

Shawlerbrook
08-08-2022, 06:21 PM
I think the comments about it being an individual decision are spot on. Here in NYS, where online ammo sales are basically prohibited if you want to insure that you will have ammo to put in the chamber of that uncommon or obsolete gun then you better be able to roll your own. Like the old credit card commercial used to say.....that’s priceless!

Daekar
08-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Define low volume. Because I reload, I can afford to shoot two thousand rounds a year when components are available. That's high volume to me, but it's nothing for some folks.

If you're a hunter, you burn half a box sighting in and the other half on game, and you're done for the year, then it's doubtful you will find much value in reloading as long as your accuracy needs are met by factory ammo.

It's not that you can't do it for 20 to 40 rounds a year, but anything more than a Lee Loader would be overkill, to me. I wouldn't bother. I probably would start thinking about it at 150rds+.

barnetmill
08-08-2022, 06:55 PM
For my past reloading in recent years I never reloaded 9x19 or some of the common military rifle rounds like 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 5.56 nato. Because considering my time it was not worth it. I was planning to load 300 black out and standard hunting rounds since at $2-4 dollars a round it was worth it. 5.56 m193 natio is approaching 50 cents around and cheaper to buy it. But decent 300 blackout and also 308 of any kind is worth reloading. So is 30 US Car, and a lots of other ammunition. So it really depends on cost of components and time. I also have a lot brass and have already purchase powder and bullets and have some primers. For my lever center fire guns, that ammo is also very expensive not always easy to find.
for example 35 remington at midwayusa is not available and the old price was $2.25 to $4.70 around. When it becomes available all of those prices will go up.
But 30-30 from midway in one loading from remington is available at $1.40 a round. So if you just need a single box or two for hunting reloading is not needed. But still if you want several hundred for self defense then maybe reloading is viable.
.38 spl now days is expensive and reloading can cut the price a bit. say 56 cents to $2 a round.
For self defense pistol ammo I buy factory for a lot of reason or at least i did. I use to buy +P+ 9x19 federal from them for use in my glock and a full size smith and wesson sigma that can handle it. The issue is I do not like like to load hotly loaded max pressure ammo because I do not not have pressure testing equipment and uniform components to safely do so.

downzero
08-08-2022, 06:56 PM
Now is probably a more cost effective time than ever to get into handloading. It isn't as if the price of ammo hasn't skyrocketed. I remember buying 22s for a penny or two a piece or so and 9mms for 9 cents and I'm not that old. It may go "down" in price but it'll probably never be as cheap as it once was.

Pereira
08-08-2022, 06:57 PM
If any of them shoots 45/70 the answer is yes it is worthwhile.

I don't shoot that one but, try finding...

41 mag., 38-55, 444, 35 Rem., 308 MX, 25-20, [smilie=1:or for the real kicker 32 colt. [smilie=b:

The 41 mag. was what got me started some 15+ yrs. ago.

RP

Duckiller
08-08-2022, 07:01 PM
My #2 son recently gave me a reason for him not to reload a particular caliber. This son along with his brother has been shooting and reloading since they were 5-6 years old. They are now 42 and 44 years old. They each have a bunch of guns. #2 has worked at a couple of gun stores. His latest was the gun room at Cabelas in the Portland OR area. There he bought a Tika ultralight in 6.5 Creedmore. Federal sold him some of their good ammo cheap. He went and tried it out. 0.25 to0.50 inch groups at 100 yards. It wasn't a fluke. That is what it shoots with premier 120 gr Federal ammo. Shoots 0.75 inch groups with 140 grain ammo. Asked when did he want to buy dies and he said "Never". As long as he could get this sort of accuracy out of factor ammo he saw no reason to buy dies and spend the time to find a load that he could readily duplicate with over the counter ammo. He now works only one job and understand about ammo shortages. He has to pay full price for the Federal Ammo but has a good supply of it. His father, his brother and he have a good supply of brass,powder projectiles and except for large rifle magnum we have primers. Federal changes the load or go out of business we/he will get dies and reload for that caliber.

David2011
08-09-2022, 01:34 AM
The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to have incredible support from a few ammunition manufacturers. It’s beyond anything I’m aware of in any other cartridge. I bought a Dillon case trimmer from a guy that decided to quit reloading because the factory ammunition was so good.

The decision to reload was one of economics for me. I couldn’t shoot very much if I had to buy factory ammunition. I started with a gun show purchase of a used RCBS JR3, a scale and dies. (Still have all of’ em.) Boolits came from a nearby range that cast them and sold reloads. It was slow but powder was about $9/pound, primers were $0.69/100 and my wife and I got to shoot all we wanted. That led me to meet one of the best friends I have had, may he Rest In Peace. He taught me to cast, alloy metals, work on guns and continue with life after losing my wife at the age of 28. All because I chose to reload.

kevin c
08-09-2022, 04:17 AM
If these “new, low volume shooters” remain casual shooters, using up a box of ammo only very few months, then reloading may not hold much interest for them.

If they ever get bitten by the competition bug, ammo usage goes way up, especially in the action pistol sports, where 20,000 rounds a year is considered low volume consumption. Reloading is pretty much the norm save for those few with very deep pockets (and even most of those will reload to customize the load to the guns used).

But right now is a very bad time to break into reloading: while availability is beginning to improve, tools and components are still hard to find and are selling at premium prices.

Shawlerbrook
08-09-2022, 06:25 AM
Although expensive and sometimes hard to find, factory ammo in general is more accurate than ever .

Pereira
08-09-2022, 07:34 AM
Although expensive and sometimes hard to find, factory ammo in general is more accurate than ever .

Not always as accurate as your own though, just one example.
Last Fall before deer season.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220809/35c8fb6a870c824041b8e989752da0c6.jpg

RP

Geezer in NH
08-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Deer will never know the difference.

I remember when 30/30 3 inch at a hundred was Miracolas!

I remember when 1/2 groups were Also, Warren page prayed for them. Bet many here have to look him up.

Geezer in NH
08-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Bare minimum for new reloader:

1. Latest loading manual from Lyman. #1 priority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Single stage press Anyone's used with primer feed or seat. Under $100

3 DIES for caliberd with shell holder NEW under $75.00

4 Powder scale ballance beam used $50 electronic new Under $40

5 Powder measure used $100 new $100-300

There you go. Single step the brass, each time. I use a 1 pound coffee can per batch. No real time to spend due 1 step to the coffee can fully. Get back to it when you can.

Finished sizing cleaning priming. Next step fill one case with the measured powder charge. Seat the bullet Right then 1 at a time. If you crimp use another step to crimp and finish. Do to all in your 1 pound coffee can.

MT Gianni
08-09-2022, 05:31 PM
I have a friend that doesn't reload. He couldn't find ammunition for his 338/378 Weatherby, then some showed up in 2015 for $160 a box. Yep.$8 a round. As he elk hunts only and a box lasts him 5-7 years he is OK. An old time he worked with had dies and loaded him 50 for a favor he did him. If he shot 10 rounds a year it would be worth it to reload.

Winger Ed.
08-09-2022, 06:53 PM
That's pretty much what the Lee 'Whack-a-mole' was made for.

dverna
08-09-2022, 09:30 PM
Not always as accurate as your own though, just one example.
Last Fall before deer season.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220809/35c8fb6a870c824041b8e989752da0c6.jpg

RP

There is no difference in those two groups.

Bmi48219
08-09-2022, 10:56 PM
For the average shooter... Absolutely not. If they are shooting 9mm and .223 rounds, then reloading is not for them…..

When it comes to 9mm or 380, I can’t say I agree. As others said a Lee Classic loader is a good, low cost starting rig that will be useful even when presses and such are acquired.
Assuming he has his brass, at present component costs (ten cents each for primer and projectile) a guy can roll his own for < $11.00 / box including tax. The best LGS sale price I’ve seen for 9 mm is $17.00 plus tax so he’s saving 33%.
An average urban shooter will go through a minimum 100 rounds at a local range so the $12.00 he’s saved over sale price 9 mm will nearly offset the range fee. Or three trips will pay off the Lee kit. One could expect similar savings, relative to sale ammo costs, for .40 & .45 acp.
This assumes he has the time and inclination to reload.

Pereira
08-09-2022, 11:27 PM
There is no difference in those two groups.

Maybe Not, but the lower group cost a third of what the top group cost.

RP

ulav8r
08-09-2022, 11:49 PM
Was at WalMart this afternoon to pick up trashbags and a few other items, wife found some jeans on clearance for $11 a pair. I went by sporting goods and looked at the ammunition behind the counter. They had lots of 22LR, mostly yellow box Win and Federal 325 bulk packs. In centerfire I could see the caliber on only one, 350 Legend. They had about ten boxes of that. There were about 7 or 8 other calibers there, only one or two boxes of each of those. So a total of 20-25 boxes of centerfire ammo. I did not look at pricing but it was surely not cheap.

For a town of about 2500 and a county population of just over 17,000, that won't go very far. I know of only one pawn shop and one feed, grain and farm store in the county that also sell ammunition. There may be 2 or 3 country stores in the outlying parts of the county that also sell ammunition that I don't know about. There used to be lots of hunters in the area, not quite so many now but that is not much selection of ammo.

414gates
08-10-2022, 03:10 AM

The way the factory makes rifle ammo, it is by default more consistent than anything a handloader can produce.

All the reloading techniques and tricks we learn and share are just to be able to duplicate a particular load across reloading sessions. The factory doesn't have that problem.

Not always as accurate as your own though, ...

This is true in a lot of cases simply because the seating depth of the factory ammo is not tuned to the rifle.

Fit a barrel tuner and you may find you need to still catch up to factory ammo consistency.

trapper9260
08-10-2022, 04:52 AM
I was brought up with not much and my dad started with shot gun reloading to save money and used and Lee hand loader to do our shotguns, We did found it was cheaper to load our own then buy the ammo because for the supplies we use they mostly was able to be use in most of the reloading of other ammo. The I got into center fire and is because wanted to, in the end I can load how I want the loads and also do not worry about if the store will have what I want or stuck with what the factory say you need to pay because once you are set up most of what you have can be used for other ammo to load , besides you can load some ammo that the factory dose not sell. Like shot shells and 00 buckshot in a 30 cal ,Just for starters . It is worth it in the end , yes for what was stated it is not a good time to get into it .One dose what is best for them. They are the only ones knows .

Soundguy
08-10-2022, 10:04 AM
Depends on what they are reloading. If they are shooting very common ammo.. then.. right now.. getting into reloading will be a long time to recoup expenses ( assuming reloading becomes cheaper.. if prices drop.. if they never drop.. then sooner is the best time to get in.)

If they are shooting something boutique or special.. then reloading may be the best starting point. For instance safari cartridges that cost 150-200$ a box of 10-20 rounds. You could be saving money by the time you made about 30 rounds.

VariableRecall
08-10-2022, 03:12 PM
For the average shooter... Absolutely not. If they are shooting 9mm and .223 rounds, then reloading is not for them. Even shooting .40 S&W and 10mm loads, it is not viable unless they are accuracy hounds and capable of really wringing out the accuracy of custom loads.

Funny enough, I load for both! Not everyone has a 2,000+ round stock to draw from when they are getting started with firearms! With ammo prices these days, even with the expense of components, reloading is still a better value than trying to grab whatever might be left at the store.

The more I use my brass, the greater value that I can draw from what I have. It doesn't matter to me if it takes longer than getting to the store and just picking it up, I like the process and the knowledge that what's in my can is all my own.

Also, when it comes to viable reloading tools for low volume shooters, I'd recommend any of Lee's value oriented single stage presses. Starting small is just fine! I started my own journey on a Hand Press!

Rapier
08-10-2022, 03:34 PM
Teach them, let them be the judge of what is reasonable. One thing for sure over $2.00 a pop is not reasonable, for regular hunting ammo. And the shop owner apologized for the price but said that was all he could get.

Soundguy
08-10-2022, 04:56 PM
A single stage press , dies , & a good powder scale are available used or new at a very reasonable cost + they will last a lifetime . Pick up a pound of powder , a couple hundred primers with a box or two jacketed bullets a new reloader is in business . But honestly very few people are willing to set down and take the time to load themselves a box or so of ammunition .

Especially true for a straight wall caliber like 38spl. The basic lee press with a safety scale and a 3 die set..a tray of primers pound of powder and some lubed cast or jwords , save your own brass..and you are set for under 150$

ddeck22
08-10-2022, 08:54 PM
The shortages of components should make used reloading equipment easier to find.

The greatest shortfall in components lately is primers.

As bad as things are, I would buy what is half way reasonable and as few primers to just get by until things moderate.

Learn the craft and be ready to pounce by acquiring the tooling when the opportunity presents itself to stock up on components.

Three44s

I am seeing a lot more reloading equipment show up on used forums and at much better prices. And if they are at decent prices, they are sitting for a few days or a week. Compare that to over the last year where people were selling used equipment at new prices since all of the new equipment was out of stock.

1hole
08-11-2022, 12:35 PM
If I had started on a Lee Loader I would have given up quickly.

Do you really think people who started with a Lee LOADER kit would drop out because it was slow and they don't know there were other options?

I've read dozens of posts from people who got into reloading with the old Lee LOADER kits because they were inexpensive and then they grew into a wide interest and much more volumes. On the other hand, I've never even heard of anyone saying they started reloading and then dropped out because their LOADER kit was so slow; in fact, I can't believe anyone actually believes that!

I've been case cramming since '65 and have a short ton of reloading tools carefully chosen for my needs, not someone else's. As a young father with three little girls and their momma depending on me, I wanted the tools I saw in gun magazines but I started my reloading with a Lee .30-06 LOADER kit because I could handle that. I've known several avid reloader/collectors who still buy (and use) any old Lee kit they can find but, sadly, they haven't been made for decades so they're a moot issue for today's noobs.

As I said once before, it's hard for avid hobbyists who load thousands of rounds a month on 1150 Dillons to not think other people should start high just in case others might someday want to go where they are now; that's some rarely true nonsense. But Lee's semi-excellent old whac-a-mole kits are long gone so they don't matter.

The present best low cost starting gear for most folk would be based on Lee's little "RELOADER" press and RGB dies. Not only is that an inexpensive basic starting place for noobs on a budget, it really works quite well and it's all most low volume shooters will ever need.

David2011
08-12-2022, 03:38 PM
The way the factory makes rifle ammo, it is by default more consistent than anything a handloader can produce.

While the statement is accurate, I would rather have my inconsistent groups of under 3/8" than the consistent groups from factory ammo of 1-1/4". At 500 yards it starts mattering.

john.k
08-17-2022, 05:54 AM
When you have to chase each component for reloading,its somewhat easier to have to chase only one item......a packet of 20 rounds of 223 or 308 or 9mm .....all seem to be in good supply here,and nowhere near US$2 a round.......223 well under US$1 a round,308 about US 1.15,and 9mm ,only US 30 cents a round.

Soundguy
08-17-2022, 11:11 AM
Do you really think people who started with a Lee LOADER kit would drop out because it was slow and they don't know there were other options?

I've read dozens of posts from people who got into reloading with the old Lee LOADER kits because they were inexpensive and then they grew into a wide interest and much more volumes. On the other hand, I've never even heard of anyone saying they started reloading and then dropped out because their LOADER kit was so slow; in fact, I can't believe anyone actually believes that!

I've been case cramming since '65 and have a short ton of reloading tools carefully chosen for my needs, not someone else's. As a young father with three little girls and their momma depending on me, I wanted the tools I saw in gun magazines but I started my reloading with a Lee .30-06 LOADER kit because I could handle that. I've known several avid reloader/collectors who still buy (and use) any old Lee kit they can find but, sadly, they haven't been made for decades so they're a moot issue for today's noobs.

As I said once before, it's hard for avid hobbyists who load thousands of rounds a month on 1150 Dillons to not think other people should start high just in case others might someday want to go where they are now; that's some rarely true nonsense. But Lee's semi-excellent old whac-a-mole kits are long gone so they don't matter.

The present best low cost starting gear for most folk would be based on Lee's little "RELOADER" press and RGB dies. Not only is that an inexpensive basic starting place for noobs on a budget, it really works quite well and it's all most low volume shooters will ever need.

Heck.. for .410 shotgun loading I'm using a manual kit with a plug, a pin and aluminum block and a mallet... slow going compared to my lee loaders in 12-16 and 20... but works.

TyGuy
08-17-2022, 09:00 PM
Personally, I find the entire process to be therapeutic. It’s nice to sit down at my bench and shut off the world and focus on a simple task that results in my ability to shoot when many of my friends can’t or won’t. Yes, it costs me money and time but many of those same friends are burning their money and time at a bar or hopping up a car they’ll sell at a loss within a year. At least my hobby results in something beneficial. There is also the benefit of being able to be just a bit more self reliant. There is a pride in saying “I made this and I can make it again.”

When I was young my father told me to save my brass because one day I could learn to reload it. To this day he has never reloaded a single cartridge but that idea of reusing what others considered trash held a sort of mystique for me. He bought me a used MEC 12 gauge setup and the old man that sold it to him taught me just enough to be dangerous (quite literally). Eventually I bought my own Rock Chucker kit and started learning center fire. I started with 9x19 and .223. I’m sure I could have bought factory ammo much cheaper but then I wouldn’t have learned the lessons of those first loads. Soon I was learning how to load the finicky 7.62x25 and .32ACP, casting my own boolits, and eventually making gas-seal rounds for my Nagant revolver. I love that I can take any ammunition I find and harvest components to use or modify for use in other cartridges. I’m now loading for nearly 20 cartridges, I have successfully reloaded primers, and have started swaging .224” bullets from .22lr brass thanks to BTSniper. I know I have spent more on my tooling and components than I have saved but the knowledge I’ve gained over these years has been invaluable. I’m now to point that I have what I need and want and can start to really benefit financially from the investment.

So, is it worth starting to reload today? If they are the type of person who values the ability to make something from essentially nothing, then absolutely. If they are only trying to save money, not unless they are into obsolete cartridges or decide to shoot competitively. I have steered many folks away this hobby because they were careless people or had unrealistic expectations. Others I have encouraged and aided in their learning of the skill. It really is a very personal experience that is different for everyone.