PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best at ID inherited lead?

drdmsmith
01-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I inherited 50-60 pounds of ingots when a friend of mine died.
I know he cast .308GC, 44 mag, .38, and 45LC but don't know what kind of loads he used and what alloy this is.

My guess is WW but he was into so many crazy dealings that this could be anything, from anywhere.

I want to use his molds, partly to honor him, but also to satisfy my intrigue for casting and reloading my own. I've reloaded my 45ACP with commercially cast for years, but never cast anything but Black Powder Maxi's, and only a few from soft pure lead.

I have cast several bullets, some with a bit of success, and water quenched them all. The 4 cavity mold is a challenge, and the bottom pour Lee another.

Can I send some to one of you guru types to help me identify the alloy, and determine it's suitability? I can cast and air cool some if that's better.

I have several 454190 that are water quenched, I want to use in 45LC.

Who will volunteer to identify this alloy, and subject them self to the helpful opinions that will follow from their peers?

I am reading on casting technique, I'll work on that next session. I really want to identify this lead before I go into making lots of boolits.

I plan on casting the 454190 for 45LC, and then 356402 9mm for my CX4 Carbine.

I'll ship these out to 2-3 of you all, just volunteer and we'll see what the popular opinion is. I'll send these out on Saturday, I don't get unchained from my desk during the week.

Should I send these Water Quenched, or make some Air Cooled, or both?

Thanks in advance,
Don

NSP64
01-28-2009, 12:50 AM
You could send a few to a board member to run through their hardness tester (PM me if no one closer volunteers) or do the drop test. Drop the ingots on a concrete floor and listen to the sound they make. pure makes a thud, alloyed makes a ringing (metalic) sound. They should be fine for the 45 no matter what they are (unless your shooting hopped up loads from a blackhawk). If you water drop the 9mm you should be OK unless the ingots are pure.:drinks:

454PB
01-28-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd be glad to do a hardness test for you if you want, but I wonder why you even worry about it if you only have 60 pounds. From the pictures, the alloy casts fine. What do the 454190 boolits weigh? I have the same mould, and it casts right at 260 grains in WW alloy.

drdmsmith
01-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Ingots do not thud, they are hard, I'll have to drop one tomorrow and see if it "rings". When melted, they flux nicely and cast well.

454190's weigh 263-264g

I'd like to cast Tommy's Lead in his Molds and use them, maybe not practical, but he was a good friend who died too young (52).

I imagine the alloy is fine, but just starting out I thought I should eliminate the unknown variable. I could easily miss some tell-tale sign that one of you would easily recognize.

I beleive I would like to use the Lee Liquid lube system I think, in 45ACP, 9mm, and the 45LC. It looks the easiest, or I'll use a hard lube. I shoot indoors sometimes and the LLA seems better from what little reading I've done so far.

In these cartridges, is the alloy a big deal? Should I just cast some and try it?
45 ACP seems the logical choice since I got a 4 cav 200g SWC mold and am familiar with reloading them with Bullseye or Unique.

Thanks for your help,
Don

Bloodman14
01-28-2009, 05:00 AM
drdmsmith,
Dude, cast & blast! If you get little to no leading,and they are accurate, don't sweat the actual alloy. LLA is just fine, that's what I use. Straight beeswax to flux.

gunnerd

Lead Forever!

JeffinNZ
01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
And that's why I label all my lead so the day I get run down by a bus while riding my bike to work..........................

Springfield
01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I made a chart so my kids will know what the heck all these ingots are. Pure lead are from an oval mould I have, wheelweights are Lyman moulds filled til they hold 6 lbs, softer BP lead is all in cast muffin form and the single 1 lb ingots are all harder rifle lead(4% tin) . The linotype I have in ammo cans and they are labeled. And the pure tin strips are also labeled.

TCLouis
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
hit two ingots together

thud = lead

thunk = lead plus some hardening ingredients

tink = WWs

ting = lino (or possibly babbit ( I have never had babbit to test but have to make a SWAG that this would be correct).