PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleaning Rods

weasel 21
01-27-2009, 10:44 PM
What do you all use for your Sharps/Hiwall type guns? Length to clear sights ?

Jon K
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Tipton Carbon Fibre 44"........1 rod fits all.......28"-34". To wipe or clean.

Jon

EDG
01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I use the stainless steel Proshot rods in 42" length and keep them from touching anything.
I have nothing against any other rods as long as they are straight. The Proshot rods are straight.

Don McDowell
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Steve Rhodes delron wiping rod, Tipton carbon fiber rod for cleaning.

boommer
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Tipton carbon fiber 44"

August
01-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I have a long, heavy Dewey rod that I've used for years. I'd like to have one of those Delron rods that the BPCR guys use at the Tucson Range. You can wipe with those really fast and don't have to worry about any part of the rod hurting the gun. They are inexpensive and look really handy.

Don McDowell
01-28-2009, 01:37 AM
I have a long, heavy Dewey rod that I've used for years. I'd like to have one of those Delron rods that the BPCR guys use at the Tucson Range. You can wipe with those really fast and don't have to worry about any part of the rod hurting the gun. They are inexpensive and look really handy.

www.arizonasharpshooters.com

wonderwolf
01-28-2009, 02:32 AM
I've got a Long heavy Dewey as well, not the 50 bmg rod but just the next size down. Only bad thing about shooting with the sharps at least for me is I can't wipe from chamber to muzzle :(

This was the only bad thing about my sharps though....

jerrold
01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
The derlin rod with the handle in link above seems to be the cats meow.
I have a couple from Buffalo Arms that I think are derlin without handles that work great for wiping from the chamber end in my 74 Sharps:coffee::castmine:

Don McDowell
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
jerrold that handle unscrews so you can use a chamber guide also.

BPCR Bill
01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I've got a Long heavy Dewey as well, not the 50 bmg rod but just the next size down. Only bad thing about shooting with the sharps at least for me is I can't wipe from chamber to muzzle :(

This was the only bad thing about my sharps though....Can't wipe from the chamber?? Tang sight in the way?

Regards,
Bill

Kraschenbirn
01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Another vote for Tipton Carbon Fiber (I've only got 3 of 'em [smilie=1: )

Bill

wonderwolf
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Can't wipe from the chamber?? Tang sight in the way?

Regards,
Bill

Yup, I know they make the off center ones....I will consider one of those if a good one comes my way at a good price

BPCR Bill
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
wonderwolf, my tang sight is from Axtells, and it's a repro Sharps vernier. The staff can be removed from the base easily. MVA makes a Sharps style as well, with a knurled thumb screw attaching the staff to the base. Easy to remove for cleaning. The Soule type sights (at least the ones I've seen) do not have the thumb screw, you need to use a screwdriver, which is a PITA.

Regards,
Bill

runnin lead
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
BPCR Bill
You can buy a thumb screw to replace a sloted screw from MVA

carpetman
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
You cant use a brush with this, but for a patch a piece of .065 line trimmer line folded and place patch in the loop---then drag it out vs pushing with a rod. You can drag a much tighter patch than you can push. The short length of trimmer line can easily be carried in your shirt pocket. Cant see damage being done to your barrel with trimmer line. You can also use the real heavy .135 line for pushing a patch through smaller cal barrels. All I ever use for the very occasional patch through my air rifles.

BPCR Bill
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
BPCR Bill
You can buy a thumb screw to replace a sloted screw from MVAYep, you can. The MVA Sharps Verniers come with it, but the Soules do not. That, you have to pay $36 for, an option. Unless they have changed that practice recently.

Regards,
Bill

Hip's Ax
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I've got the big Dewey coated rod and jag that I use on my CPA 45-70 MR rifle. I had to get one of those flexible Delrin rods for my CPA 45-90 LR rifle as the comb is too high for the Dewey rod, the Baldwin sight is in the way with that high comb. They both work great and since I wipe every shot they see a lot of use.

littlejack
02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the tips on the rods fella's. I generally use on of the not so expensive coated rods for my wiping and cleaning. I do want to get one of the Tipton rods though.
My Uberti has the Pedersoli mid range tang sight on it. I have to run my rod between the two staff uprights to clean and wipe the bore. It has been a real pita and I was concerned about the coating on the rod getting scraped off, (which it does) and the steel scraping the sight and chamber.
I looked at the photo of the Delrin rods on the Arizona Sharpshooters page. I have a plastics store 2 1/2 blocks from my house. I bought a 10' length of 5/16" delrin for 3.80 cents. I came back home and cut me a piece 40" long. I drilled and tapped it 8-32 on one end for brushes and jags. I threaded the other end with a 5/16 nc die nut. I had a piece of 3/4" dowel lying around. I cut a piece to 6" and drilled and tapped a 5/16" nc hole in one end to screw onto the delrin. Now I have a very nice Delrin rod. If one figures the total cost, it is about 1.27 cents for that amount of rod length. I have leftover to make one for a friend or to make a shorter one for chamber cleaning.
Jack