PDA

View Full Version : Just Peach!

Hogtamer
08-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Picked up 50 lbs (1 bushel) good late season freestone peaches from the orchard in SC. Put up about half frozen, the rest peach preserves. Whew!302900

hawkenhunter50
08-04-2022, 09:04 PM
Now ya need some vanilla ice cream and you'll be all set!

Plate plinker
08-04-2022, 09:21 PM
Peach cobbler.

Wayne Smith
08-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Have ice cream maker? Peach Ice Cream.

gwpercle
08-05-2022, 11:02 AM
Peach Anything / Peach Everything ... I love good Peaches
Sounds like you been busy !
I might have something those frozen peaches would be good in .
Somewhere in my collection of cookbooks ... I have one that contains nothing but recipes involving Peaches . I got it in Ruston La . at the Ruston Peach Festival ... In it is a good recipe ...
Ruston Peach Festival Cobbler ... if I can find it I will post it . Frozen peaches are great in this one .
Gary

MaryB
08-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Jealous! Peaches up here in MN are rock hard and tasteless and they rot before they ripen. I remember mom getting crates of peaches we would skin then make into jam or pie filling.

Hogtamer
08-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Got 9 pts preserves and 3 qts for the freezer out of one box (plus a little for the fridge) Peach ice cream is a fave at my house, pie or cobbler too. The next box is for the freezer.

Shawlerbrook
08-05-2022, 02:49 PM
There is nothing like a fresh juicy peach.

gwpercle
08-05-2022, 08:45 PM
Ruston Peach Festival Cobbler

6 cups sliced peaches - 8 or 9 peaches , peeled & sliced (frozen work just fine)
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 Tabsp flour
Dash of Salt
1/4 cup melted butter

Cook peaches in water until tender. Mix flour , salt and sugar. Add to peaches , mix and add butter.

Pastry:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening
4 Tabspns Sweet Milk

Blend flour , salt , shortening to coarse meal texture . Add milk and chill .
Roll out thin on floured board . Cut enough dumplings to cover first layer of peaches .
Pour half of cooked peaches into a 9" X 13" pan . Cover with a layer of dumplings .Add rest of peaches and cover with a lattice top using rest of pastry .
(I like to sprinkle sugar over the top... like turbinado sugar)
Bake at 350 degrees 40-45 minutes untill top is brown and bubbly.

This is my favorite cobbler recipe .

MaryB , would you do your magic and make this appear in our cook book section ...
Thanks , You are so nice !
Gary

farmerjim
08-06-2022, 10:43 AM
I miss my peach trees. I had 250 of them and oak root rot killed them all. It is in the soil and can't be easily killed. There is nothing like a peach that is fully ripe on the tree. Most of the ones in the store have been picked too soon and will not fully ripen. When judging ripeness, look at the bottom of the peach, the top color is not a good indicator. If you plant peaches, be sure to get varieties with the chill hour requirement matching your area. That and thin your peaches to at least 10 inches apart or you will have peaches the size of a golf ball with most of it being the seed.
When I would pick and grabbed a fully ripe peach, I had two choices:
1. Throw it on the ground 2. Eat it.
After eating about 5 or 6 all the ripe ones went on the ground.
I planted a Florida King last year ( I can get about 8 years out of a Florida King before It dies from Oak root rot, But the deer (AKA rats with antlers) killed it by scraping the velvet off on the young tree.

gwpercle
08-07-2022, 06:59 PM
I miss my peach trees. I had 250 of them and oak root rot killed them all. It is in the soil and can't be easily killed. There is nothing like a peach that is fully ripe on the tree. Most of the ones in the store have been picked too soon and will not fully ripen. When judging ripeness, look at the bottom of the peach, the top color is not a good indicator. If you plant peaches, be sure to get varieties with the chill hour requirement matching your area. That and thin your peaches to at least 10 inches apart or you will have peaches the size of a golf ball with most of it being the seed.
When I would pick and grabbed a fully ripe peach, I had two choices:
1. Throw it on the ground 2. Eat it.
After eating about 5 or 6 all the ripe ones went on the ground.
I planted a Florida King last year ( I can get about 8 years out of a Florida King before It dies from Oak root rot, But the deer (AKA rats with antlers) killed it by scraping the velvet off on the young tree.
:goodpost:

I still miss the Clinton Louisiana peaches ... they had enough growers to have a nice Peach Festival every year ... that's where we got fresh tree ripened peaches .... then the trees all started dying ...
I didn't know it was called Oak Root Rot ... but it wiped out every tree .
I hope the trees in Ruston survive ... it's the only place in Louisiana I know to get good peaches fit for eating .
Looked at Peaches in grocery store ... they look OK but hard and no smell !
I won't buy any that are rock hard and don't have a lot of good peachy smell to them .
Gary

fatnhappy
08-11-2022, 12:01 PM
growing up we had a hale haven peach tree that yielded so much fruit we couldn't give it away. I ate so many as a kid to this day I'd rather eat pears.

here's my apple cobbler recipe. The most important part being the crust. I can remember the last scout camp out I went to where this wasn't made in a dutch oven.

8 tart apples, peeled & sliced
3 tbsp butter
2/3 sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
2 c sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
2/3 c warm milk
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 beaten eggs

Mix apples, 2/3 c sugar & cinnamon. Arrange in a 9-inch pie plate, dot with butter.
Combine flour, 1 tbsp sugar, salt, & baking powder. Cut in shortening. Add eggs &
warm milk. Mix. Spoon over apples and spead. Bake at 400 for 1 hour. Serve
upside down in bowls with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and either heavy cream or vanilla ice cream

pworley1
08-11-2022, 12:47 PM
The best way to eat a peach is straight from the tree fuzz and all.

36g
08-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Years ago, as a food development chemist, I was requested to develop a peach extract. I went to one of our best flavor suppliers and requested samples. The description from me was that I wanted a fresh peach flavor that was so fresh that you could taste the fuzz on it. The vendor submitted a sample and absolutely nailed it. Best peach extract/flavor that didn't come from the tree ever!

Randy Bohannon
08-19-2022, 06:10 AM
:bigsmyl2:I have to ask, why does a guy who lives in GA buy peaches in SC ? Is GA the Peach State or not ?

Newboy
08-19-2022, 06:55 AM
Georgia just gets the cull peaches that roll down the hill from South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geezer in NH
08-19-2022, 05:45 PM
In state NH grown at the supermarket by me is $4.95 per pound ouch!

Hogtamer
08-19-2022, 09:54 PM
Ga used to be king but no longer. SC has developed a good industry. BTW, those hard grocery store peaches this time of year need 3-4 days on your kitchen counter to soften and ripen up. Buy several and give them a try. Those late season peaches are often the best.

MaryB
08-20-2022, 12:47 PM
Ga used to be king but no longer. SC has developed a good industry. BTW, those hard grocery store peaches this time of year need 3-4 days on your kitchen counter to soften and ripen up. Buy several and give them a try. Those late season peaches are often the best.

I have never had one ripen, they rot first...

gwpercle
08-21-2022, 09:15 AM

:goodpost:
LIKE !
That's what mine do too ...
Gary

Wayne Smith
08-23-2022, 08:08 AM

Don't leave them on the counter, put them in a brown paper bag that is closed. They give off a gas that causes continued ripening, if they don't then add an apple next time.

MaryB
08-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Don't leave them on the counter, put them in a brown paper bag that is closed. They give off a gas that causes continued ripening, if they don't then add an apple next time.

Tried that... they are picked so under ripe to ship up here they just don't ripen.

georgerkahn
08-23-2022, 09:53 AM
I'm sooo in agreement with MaryB and gwpercle re peach challenges! Our younger son lives near the Pennsylvania border and on occasion we can get ripe peaches when visiting. A couple of weeks back we bought a peck from a Mennonite stand, and wife canned about half; made a cobbler with a quarter; and, we ate the remaining ones. What a treat! BUT -- I'll bet those of you who may pick them, ripe, from the tree get even a better taste experience!
I recall my first visit to southern California where I chomped my first, from the tree, fresh avocado. I would have sworn it was a different variety than that which we purchase in the north-north-east. No doubt, similar re peaches.
geo

Txcowboy52
08-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Oh my lord ! I do love me some peaches!! When you get that cobbler ready, give me a holler!!!

smoked turkey
08-28-2022, 11:52 PM
I would like it if one of you would post a peach ice cream recipe. I'm primed to make a gallon. thanks!

gwpercle
08-30-2022, 05:40 PM
I would like it if one of you would post a peach ice cream recipe. I'm primed to make a gallon. thanks!

Louisiana Fresh Peach Ice Cream
Yield : 1 gallon

Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds tree ripened Ruston , La. peaches - peeled, pitted and cut up .
1 pint half and half cream
1/2 cup white sugar - if peaches are not sweet Ruston tree ripened, you can use up to 1 cup sugar to sweeten or if you just prefer your ice cream on the sweet side ... sugar to taste ,
1 - 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 - 12 ounce can Evaporated Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups Whole Milk - or as needed.

Directions
Puree peaches with Half and Half and sugar , in batches in a blender or food processor .
I leave some peaches on the chunky side .

Mix blended peach mixture , Sweetened Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk , and Vanilla in a Gallon Ice Cream Freezer Container . Pour enough Whole Milk into container to reach the Fill Line ...
about 2 cups or as needed .

Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions .
Chilling the container first will help the ice cream freeze faster .
The sweeter the peaches the better tasting the ice cream will be .

This was the recipe my Mom liked best and we boy's would take turns sitting on the freezer and turning the crank . My Dad was a ice cream Lover and he passed that love of ice cream on to me and my brother . That first electric ice cream freezer was a most welcomed invention !

Gary

smoked turkey
09-02-2022, 12:12 AM
thank you for that recipe for peach ice creme. I just made a gallon using three peaches mixed in with my French vanilla recipe. It was good enough, but I'll be giving yours a try. My recipe uses 5(or 6) eggs, and i cook it over low heat. I think your recipe sounds better.

gwpercle
09-02-2022, 11:02 AM
thank you for that recipe for peach ice creme. I just made a gallon using three peaches mixed in with my French vanilla recipe. It was good enough, but I'll be giving yours a try. My recipe uses 5(or 6) eggs, and i cook it over low heat. I think your recipe sounds better.

smoked turkey , You are welcome !
Honestly the recipe that calls for 5 or 6 eggs and is cooked will be richer and more "custard" ice cream flavor ...richer . And my Mom used to make it with eggs and cook it ...but when she hit on the
"no egg - no cook" recipe she found it a lot easier and quicker to mix up a batch ... Me , Dad and Brother didn't have a problem with the "new improved no-egg no-cook recipe " we made ice cream more often ergo we got to eat more ice cream ... Win-Win for her & us !!!
Give it a try ... it's more on the "ice-milk" side of the scale ... but I can eat a larger bowl of it !

I used to like the custard ice cream better but now that I'm older , I prefer the lighter , no egg recipe better .
Gary

smoked turkey
09-06-2022, 12:15 AM
Gary I have been wanting to give you another post and make a comment on your last post. I have been wanting to give the "no cook" recipe a try and I plan to do that and soon I hope. I still have some of the peach ice cream I made the other day. I will probably make a run by Aldi where we grocery shop and see if I can purchase the rest of the stuff I need. We are planning a little vacation and we will be over in North Carolina, VA, and TN as we travel the Blue Ridge Parkway. I hope I can find some good peaches as we travel. A few years ago our church had an ice cream social and I got hold of some bad uncooked eggs and gave me salmonella (spelling ?) and that put the kibosh to our home made ice cream for a while. I am trying to get back in it and I've been making some here and there. I love it and can eat it without issues. I do use 2% milk to some degree, but I will buy whole milk and half & half tomorrow at the store for my next batch. Thanks again.
Stan

shaggybull
09-06-2022, 01:23 AM
We most of our crop due snow in April.... Had a buddy his apples were in full bloom with 12 inches snow on ground. My apricot tree had 11 apricots.