PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Candle Dye

Hip's Ax
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I went to an art store today to get some liquid candle dye to lend some color (for identification) to my two batches of Black Powder lube I made recently. It just occured to me that these dyes might be petroleum based and therefore not the best thing to put in my BP lubes. Anyone know what liquid candle dye is made of?

mtgrs737
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I believe they are petroleum based, however very little is needed to color your lube.

madman
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
No Idea on the content but large crayons in the mix colors it well.

BABore
01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Try to find some Yaley solid candle dye. (Michael's) It goes a long way. The liquid dye takes almost a whole bottle. Avoid the Yaley irredescent colors (the neon reds and blues). They don't mix and play well with boolit lubes.

FN in MT
01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Colored boolit lubes brings back a memory... Knew a shooter way back in the 70's when I was still in NJ. He was a fellow bullseye shooter who also cast and reloaded. I shot on the NJ Air Guard team so all my ammo, etc was free. I used to give him .45 acp Match brass and he would give me perfectly cast and lubed H&G 68 slugs in return. His wife worked for Binney & Smith better known as CRAYOLA crayons in Easton, PA.

He used a concoction of mostly CRAYONS for his bullet lube. His wife would bring home the reject crayons and he would make the lube. Sometimes you got slugs that had blue lube, other times it was yellow or orange. Never had any leading problems over 4.5 of Bullseye in either my 1911's or M25-2 Smith.

I'd add a few crayons and see where that takes You.

FN in MT

Charlie Sometimes
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
When someone yelled "DRAW" you could! :roll: :groner:
I couldn't help it. :bigsmyl2:

mtgrs737
01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
If you get the concentrated Liquid dye is only takes 10 or 12 drops to color a batch of lube.

Hip's Ax
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. All done, I used about 6 or so drops of red in one batch and about the same in green for the other. The red one looked like cherry jello when liquid (VERY red), now that its solid again it looks more like tomato soup. The green batch is GREEN!

I bought Yaley liquid candle dye at AC Moore.

Now my buddy will be able to tell them apart.

Thanks!!

:drinks:

chuebner
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I imagine food coloring would work and it is not petroleum based.

charlie

Hip's Ax
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I thought of food coloring first but when I went to the supermarket and read the label it is water based. Didn't figure that would be a good idea.

AzShooter
01-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Next time you go out to dinner where they have placemats for kids to color on get a couple of the crayons and use them in your lube to change the color. Works great.