PDA

View Full Version : lee hardness tester

wittenjr
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
As I am getting older and have trouble holding the eye piece steady enough to read the scale,has anyone have any ideas on a holder of some kind I can build.
Just love this site,thought I new what I was doing till I started reading the post,Keep It up guys,Thanks Jim:confused:

GP100man
01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
i cut a clear 2liter pop bottle top off then drilled a hole just big enuff to slide the scope in so it`ll be adjustable .
it works & frugal too!!!
& WELCOME to the mad house LOL!!!

GP100man:cbpour:

454PB
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I put my microscope in a .45 ACP sizing die, it's a nice snug fit. The sizing die is then inserted in the turret of my Lee Classic Turret press and the sample tested is placed in the "V" shell holder that came with the tester. The press ram is adjusted up or down for focus, and I hold it in place by pressing my hip against the lever. The sample is moved left/right by turning the shell holder. I know it sounds like a lot of contortion, but it becomes quite natural after a few tests.

SpaceGlocker
01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/poolpedler/needpics.gif

dfwdon
01-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Check out this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40521

GP100man
01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
i know , i know , but pics are a real pain with this back woods swamp soaked dial up!!!!
one day though, one day.

GP100man:cbpour:

Lee
01-29-2009, 02:18 AM
I'll throw down my $0.02 worth of blasphemous opinion. After a few tries with the Lee tester, it's almost possible to eye-estimate the relative hardness of a sample just by eye-balling the impression. And then a "quick" check with the 'scope confirms for me if I am dealing with;

a. pure soft lead

b. ww weight hardness

c. linotype or other antimony hardened alloys.

So far, I either have purchased certified alloys or pretty much know the source(lead pipe/flashing or ww or....)
I really don't care too much if the Lee tester says it's 14.3 or 14.8, it is still telling me that what I have is pretty much ww, given this example.
And the dimple the Lee tester makes in pure lead doesn't require a 'scope to tell ya that ya hit the mother-lode! Non the less, I understand the need for a steadying device on occasion!
Like I said, just my 2cents

largom
01-29-2009, 08:51 AM
wittenjr,
I made the post mentioned by dfwdon. The small microscope I got at a "junk" auction for $2.00. You can also find them on evil-bay, at toy stores, yard sales, etc. The light with the flexable end came from a gun show.
My eyes are old to and the hands a little shakey. This setup allows me to easily focus the scope and I can use both hands to align boolit. This setup has a permanent home on my loading bench.
LARRY