PDA

View Full Version : Big Mogambo melting/alloying pot setups...?

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
I am getting set up for my new Mastodon rifle. I have a pile of pure lead, and tin, and want to alloy up at least 140 pounds of 30:1 alloy, like 120lbs of lead and 4lbs of tin, and then do the same amount of 20:1 or a bit harder. Anybody got suggestions on how to set up for this? Preferably a picture to go with it.

thanks in advance,

Rich

Buckshot
01-15-2006, 03:41 AM
..............Check the sticky above.

Here's mine:

http://www.fototime.com/4F0787827D40539/standard.jpg

..................Buckshot

sundog
01-15-2006, 09:23 AM
If this gonna be a 'I show mine if'n you show me yern' then I;ll play along. But quite frankly, I think mine (and Felix's) would be a little more than needed for 150 lbs...

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/moas/moas.htm

I have another a little more 'modest' that's like Buckshot's setup, a turkey cooker and a cast iron dutch oven. Works most excellent (like Ted and Bill's Great Adventure) for hunert pound batches. sundog

Frank46
01-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Hey bro whatcha makin there some gumbo?. Sorry couldn't resist. But what do you use to get the melted metal outta that pot??. An over head crane?. I have a crawfish/turkey boiler set up and a 8 quart dutch oven. guesstimate close to 100lbs when full or thereabouts. And his and hers 20lb propane bottles. Frank

robertbank
01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
I am not worthy. Just a cast iron pot over a Coleman stove. Smaller batches, that's all.

Stay Safe

C1PNR
01-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Does anyone use Natural Gas to fuel the large size burners? I'm sure the cost of the LP is quite a bit more, at least per BTU.

Years ago I had Natural Gas piped out to my driveway so I could BBQ with it. Now I'm thinking of maybe using it to render wheelweights and mix some consistent casting alloy.

carpetman
01-16-2006, 11:21 PM
C1PNR---I have natural gas on my back patio for my BBQ. I also have the pipe inside my reloading room but would need to tap in with tee to connect up to it. But I use electric casting pot and smelt with Coleman,so putting a tee in would be to use a heater. On my front porch,I currently have an outdoor wood burning fireplace or whatever you would call those pot bellied things. Considering replacing it with an outdoor natural gas log set.

omgb
01-17-2006, 02:31 AM
I use a turkey fryer and a large cast iron pot I bought at the Salvation Army. I guess I could hook it up to my gas outlet outside (for the firepit) but I'd have to change the orifice I'm pretty sure. It takes about an hour to melt down a 5 gallon bucket of WW. Hot, smokey, stinky work. Tons O' Fun. :)

Dutch4122
01-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I use a 115,000 btu turkey fryer (with the flimsy metal legs removed, of course) set up on concrete blocks. A 20 qt. dutch oven sits perfectly tight into the metal mounting ring of the burner. I can melt a 5 gallon pail + of wheelweights in about an hour. I use a large skimmer from The Antimony Man to skim off the clips and then flux. Use the same skimmer to get the crud off the surface. Then I have a large Rowell ladle purchased with the skimmer to pour the alloy into ingots. I use the large ingot molds from Magma Engineering as well as cast iron muffin pans that make seven at a time. A couple of these sessions a year will produce enough alloy for an awful lot of shooting.

C1PNR
01-17-2006, 11:37 PM
C1PNR---I have natural gas on my back patio for my BBQ. I also have the pipe inside my reloading room but would need to tap in with tee to connect up to it. But I use electric casting pot and smelt with Coleman,so putting a tee in would be to use a heater. On my front porch,I currently have an outdoor wood burning fireplace or whatever you would call those pot bellied things. Considering replacing it with an outdoor natural gas log set.
Those gas log sets aren't any good if you want any heat. At least the old ones weren't. I'd recommend using a "log lighter" instead. Use gas to light your wood logs, then turn off the gas and let the wood give you both the heat and the atmosphere.

I used to sell the gas log sets and gas fireplaces. But I sure wouldn't have one in my house. Too much wasted energy.

Now a natural gas BBQ is a whole different thing, a real JOY to use. So inexpensive when compared to propane.

wills
01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
C1PNR--- On my front porch,I currently have an whatever you would call those pot bellied things. Considering replacing it with an outdoor natural gas log set.

A boolit caster?

Tristan
01-23-2006, 09:40 PM
If this gonna be a 'I show mine if'n you show me yern' then I;ll play along. But quite frankly, I think mine (and Felix's) would be a little more than needed for 150 lbs...

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/moas/moas.htm

I have another a little more 'modest' that's like Buckshot's setup, a turkey cooker and a cast iron dutch oven. Works most excellent (like Ted and Bill's Great Adventure) for hunert pound batches. sundog

Sundog: :holysheep [I need a 'I am not woooorrrrrthy' smiley here]