PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax Tips and good ideas

AnthonyB
07-31-2022, 11:35 AM
Our recent threads on progressive presses have led me to order the Co-Ax everyone raves about - seems those who have them use noting else for precision reloading. I just ordered one yesterday and it should be here in less than a week. It is the B-5 with S jaws from Amazon.

I also ordered the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting plate and their normal size roller handle. I did not order any additional press lighting, but will if it is needed with my setup.

Looking for tips on other "improvements" I should consider. I know there is no improving the press, but what tips/additions do you have to make using it more enjoyable. Wondering about the short handle and die locking rings. Most of my dies have screw type locking rings; do I need the Forster rings? I also read a lot of users use Hornady rings as less expensive substitutes for the Forster.

dverna; this hole in my budget is your fault.
Tony

mdi
07-31-2022, 01:06 PM
I have been reloading for quite a while and the best press I have used is the Forster Co-Ax. I read a bit about the "cons" of the press but experienced none. The "modifications" on my Co-Ax are simple and cheap; I replaced the hex socket jaw holder assembly screws with phillips round head screws. I use a long screwdriver (18") from the top, with die removed to remove screws, much easier than a short allen wrench. I tried a short handle but it was uncomfortable for me so I shortened the stock handle about 3". I mounted my press about 30 degrees to my left which seems to make operation easier. I did install an LED light but a 100 watt desk light worked for a few years until my eyes reached their 73 birthday. As for lock rings, all I have tried work even Lee aluminum, but the thicker (Forster, Sinclair) rings fit the die slot better, less vertical movement. I made some "tools" for my Co-Ax like an extension to size bullets (a case with a dowel/rod about 2 1/2"). I really haven't "needed" to make any modifications or add any accessories as the press worked perfectly right out of the box, just minor "customizations"...

FWIW; I learned long ago to find out if I needed to change/modify any tool rather than rely on what others needed to do to their tools...

dverna
07-31-2022, 01:42 PM
Our recent threads on progressive presses have led me to order the Co-Ax everyone raves about - seems those who have them use noting else for precision reloading. I just ordered one yesterday and it should be here in less than a week. It is the B-5 with S jaws from Amazon.

I also ordered the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting plate and their normal size roller handle. I did not order any additional press lighting, but will if it is needed with my setup.

Looking for tips on other "improvements" I should consider. I know there is no improving the press, but what tips/additions do you have to make using it more enjoyable. Wondering about the short handle and die locking rings. Most of my dies have screw type locking rings; do I need the Forster rings? I also read a lot of users use Hornady rings as less expensive substitutes for the Forster.

dverna; this hole in my budget is your fault.
Tony

You will stop cursing me once you load on it...LOL.

My only negative with the press is priming on it. I consider it dangerous even though I never had an issue. Used to use the Lee and RCBS hand primers but for the last few years have used the RCBS bench prime.

It will be the last press on my bench, and the one I would take with me when the Father calls me home....if He lets me reload rifle ammunition.

jsizemore
07-31-2022, 02:56 PM
The priming setup on the press is a no go for me. I've tried other die rings, even old school RCBS, but the Forester work best. Forester dies work really good too especially the "S" dies with bushings. I had to order the "LS" jaws extra when I got mine. You'll need those. I have mine attached to a board so i can clamp it to the bench when shooting at the range.

country gent
07-31-2022, 05:26 PM
I really use mine a lot. One thing I did was remove the little spent primer bottle and attached a length of clear plastic tubing long enough to reach the floor then ran it into an old 8 pound powder bottle.

dverna
07-31-2022, 06:42 PM
Wanted to add, use the Co-Ax die rings. I bought a bag of 10 IIRC from Scheels and they had the best price at the time.

One other tip. I might load 20-40 rounds of hunting ammunition at a time. If you plink or target shoot with a different bullet/load that has a different COL look for used seater dies. Having one set up for each load is convenient. Snapping in the preset die saves some tweaking and setup time. I do not shoot dozens of different loads in a caliber. If you do, it may not be practical.

JimKirk
07-31-2022, 09:17 PM
I have owned a coax since early '70s ....loaded a boat full of ammo on it from .380 ACP to the .300 magnums ....

99% of those have been primed right on the press ...really consistent seating ....

If you are using the old style "jaws" ...do not tighten the screws too tight ....

Fastest die change there is ...

dverna
08-01-2022, 12:30 AM
I have owned a coax since early '70s ....loaded a boat full of ammo on it from .380 ACP to the .300 magnums ....

99% of those have been primed right on the press ...really consistent seating ....

If you are using the old style "jaws" ...do not tighten the screws too tight ....

Fastest die change there is ...

Having my hand over the cartridge while seating a primer is not safe. Also, on the Co-Ax, the priming operation is at the top of the press and closer to eye level.

“Boatload” is a subjective number. Maybe not too many? Or maybe you have been very careful or very lucky. I have loaded well over 250k, maybe close to 500k rounds using different presses, hand primers, and a bench primer. Never had a primer go off....but I figure it will happen some day. Some of my guns are tuned for speed and have such light hammer strikes I have to use Federal primers.

Murphy cannot be trusted.

I know guys who do not wear glasses when reloading. Another unsafe practice. But just my opinion.

oley55
08-01-2022, 01:05 AM
when new I knocked the sharp leading edges off the slot the die lock rings slip into. I only use aluminum split rings. Probably not an issue but I worried the use of sloppy steel rings would worry out or gouge the cast iron slot.

rbuck351
08-01-2022, 02:46 AM
I picked up an old Bonanza co-ax that has a conversion to use rcbs type shell holders for priming. This system starts inserting the primer later in the stroke which puts your hand behind the case instead of directly over the case. Still should wear eye protection as the priming happens closer to eye level that most presses.

I have only found one or two odd ball die rings that don't work very well as they are too thick.

jmorris
08-01-2022, 09:05 AM
The only time I use the primer system is if it’s a round I don’t have a shell plate for.

I do have one of these on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/KMS%C2%B2-Reloading-Press-Light-Forster/dp/B07X6KF2KJ

mdi
08-01-2022, 01:08 PM
Also for me; the priming system can be a pain but only the shell holder jaws. A sloppy adjustment, thin case rims and tight primer pockets can lead to ruined brass, but it is the same principle as a ram prime. I have mine set/adjusted for 9mm cases and have no problems, but most of my other priming is done with an RCBS bench prime or a ram prime in my "C" press...

tunnug
08-01-2022, 05:39 PM
I had a bunch of aluminum die locks, the ones with knurled edges, no idea on brand or how I got so many, anyways, they were too wide to fit the slot on my Co-Ax so I glued an extra fine piece of sand paper on a flat steel and sanded one side until I got a snug fit, been using those for quite a while with no problems.

AZ Pete
08-01-2022, 06:50 PM
I made a short handle for my Co-Ax. 3/4" steel tube cut to your preferred length, choose a ball end, or what suits you and you are set.

JimKirk
08-01-2022, 08:35 PM
Having my hand over the cartridge while seating a primer is not safe. Also, on the Co-Ax, the priming operation is at the top of the press and closer to eye level.

“Boatload” is a subjective number. Maybe not too many? Or maybe you have been very careful or very lucky. I have loaded well over 250k, maybe close to 500k rounds using different presses, hand primers, and a bench primer. Never had a primer go off....but I figure it will happen some day. Some of my guns are tuned for speed and have such light hammer strikes I have to use Federal primers.

Murphy cannot be trusted.

I know guys who do not wear glasses when reloading. Another unsafe practice. But just my opinion.

My boat load is probably north of 150,000...on this coax alone...
And the primer system is no more dangerous than any other primer system ....

dverna
08-01-2022, 09:16 PM
My boat load is probably north of 150,000...on this coax alone...
And the primer system is no more dangerous than any other primer system ....

Sir, I applaud your success...err luck?

Common sense tells me having my hand over a case while seating a primer is problematic. IMO it is not worth the risk. IIRC I paid about $100 for the RCBS bench prime. It is faster and safer and $100 is cheap insurance.

We can agree to disagree. Owners of this great press should hear both opinions and decide accordingly.

JimKirk
08-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Sir, I applaud your success...err luck?

Common sense tells me having my hand over a case while seating a primer is problematic. IMO it is not worth the risk. IIRC I paid about $100 for the RCBS bench prime. It is faster and safer and $100 is cheap insurance.

We can agree to disagree. Owners of this great press should hear both opinions and decide accordingly.
I am not sure why you got have your hand over a case except to place and remove the cartridge and I do that from the side anyway ...

But .... that is your choice ...

dverna
08-01-2022, 09:44 PM
I am not sure why you got have your hand over a case except to place and remove the cartridge and I do that from the side anyway ...

When I raise the lever to prime, the hand operating the lever is over the case. I looked at the Forster video and it shows that as well. How do you operate the lever? It may be useful for others to learn your procedure.

I will stay with priming off the Co-Ax press.

JimKirk
08-01-2022, 09:47 PM
When I raise the lever to prime, the hand operating the lever is over the case. I looked at the Forster video and it shows that as well. How do you operate the lever? It may be useful for others to learn your procedure.

I will stay with priming off the Co-Ax press.

Wow! Now that is common sense!! You Win !!

JimKirk
08-01-2022, 10:30 PM
For the folks that would like to really know how to prime without putting your hand or arm directly over a brass being primed ....
I stand/sit slightly to the right of the coax... I use my right arm to move the lever ... because the lever is more or less "behind" the center line of the press ...the right hand pulls the lever away from the press ...so your hand/arm is never over the brass in any form or fashion... the left hand places the primer and places the brass .... then removes the brass after the primer is seated...

Like I have stated ...I have used this coax extensively for almost fifty years .... there are ways to use the priming system safely .... even though some think otherwise...

It takes very little pressure to operate the lever during priming ...you can not man handle the lever ...

I will give that the primer system is slower ... but it is no more dangerous than having 100 primers stacked one on top of another in a bomb like fashion... I can(or could) show you a fellow that had one those tubes stuck in his ceiling... and had pick marks all over his face where it blew... thank God he had safety glasses on or he would probably been blind when he died...
Another positive is... it seats primer consistently at .004 below flush ... show me another press(there may be one out there) that can do that...

dverna
08-02-2022, 05:43 AM
Good explanation JimKirk.

Here is the video I mentioned:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=priming+on+a+Co-Ax&view=detail&mid=1BD83EC8027ED4A377AE1BD83EC8027ED4A377AE&FORM=VIRE

Here is another...go to about the 10:00 mark. This guys slams it much harder than necessary but his arm winds up right over the cartridge. He sits at the press the way I do.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=priming+on+a+Co-Ax&view=detail&mid=581C06BD88504309CC94581C06BD88504309CC94&form=VDRVRV&ajaxhist=0

How JimKirk does it would be worth trying and is better than sitting in front of the press the way most people would.

country gent
08-02-2022, 09:01 AM
My coax has been "tuned up" once Do to wear. New links and pins. Links holes and the matching pins were worn egg shaped. The lower block with the shell holder was the old style cast iron and didnt have the hardened steel plate between it and the shell plate. It had a low spot ( visible and appeared to be about .030 with a straight edge across the block) O milled this back to flat and made a wear plate from .060 banding. The guide pins and their holes were fine. The newer models have this wear plate already installed. These presses are a unique design, Hold up extremely well, and will load many rounds over several owners lifetimes. Keep it lubed up and clean

kaiser
08-02-2022, 10:37 AM
I had to replace the springs to the shell plate after 20 plus years of use. It is the most massive and robust press on the market IMO and I've own just about all of the competing brands over 5 decades. I load a lot of different calibers and the quick change feature to swap dies is among the most useful of the Co-Axial's design.

mdi
08-02-2022, 01:02 PM

Yep, I agree....
When I prime on my Co-Ax, I operate the handle with my right hand. I raise the ram and insert primer into the primer cup, then lower the ram. I pick up a case with my left hand, glance at the case and case head and slide it into the shell holder jaws. I normally do not hold the case while I raise the ram with my right hand and seat the primer. Lower ram and remove case. I guess I could hold the case, with my hand covering the mouth while priming, but I often pick up another case or scratch my nose, etc. I cannot see where/when my hand moves in front of the priming case. Besides, I seat my primers and don't "slam them home". The only "safer" priming method would be a ram prime used in a single stage press...

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Good explanation JimKirk.

Here is the video I mentioned:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=priming+on+a+Co-Ax&view=detail&mid=1BD83EC8027ED4A377AE1BD83EC8027ED4A377AE&FORM=VIRE

Here is another...go to about the 10:00 mark. This guys slams it much harder than necessary but his arm winds up right over the cartridge. He sits at the press the way I do.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&q=priming+on+a+Co-Ax&view=detail&mid=581C06BD88504309CC94581C06BD88504309CC94&form=VDRVRV&ajaxhist=0

How JimKirk does it would be worth trying and is better than sitting in front of the press the way most people would.

Early on I sat in the front of the press like a lot folks do ...but I kinda developed little ways to get the press to be "easier" to use ...

I also developed a simple way to shorten the handle stroke by taking a 5/16" NF(I think it is a 3") ...anyway ground the hex head to the same taper as the factory jaw opening bolt.... I happen to have a piece of hollow aluminum tube that fit right over the 5/16" bolt .... I had to shorten the tube to get the proper opening/closing correct ... this shortens the stroke by about half the normal stroke ....I did this long before the guy started selling his kits that sort uses the same idea ....shared it with Forster but they didn't seem interested...In the photo you see Black original opening bolt, the extended one I made out the bolt at the far right ...and the hollow tube.... I don't have the exact lengths in my head but will measure them later this afternoon ... Works really well with pistol/revolver cartridges ..

https://i.postimg.cc/pV0RqFVq/IMG-20190212-100622243.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vD6JmDVV)

https://i.postimg.cc/CLzYtxzY/IMG-20190212-100138844.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N5qW2Y6P)

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 01:20 PM
Also made a primer pocket swage ....using the 5/16" NF bolt ....machines the proper form on the end ...have be careful not to rip rims off ... Oh yeah this uses the primer post hole and jaws to sewage primer pocket ....little learning curve ...but it works ... I use just a touch of Imperial size wax on the swage ....makes it work smoothly ....

https://i.postimg.cc/YqZkwBWF/IMG-20190212-101932521.jpg (https://postimg.cc/qzsW8YQB)

oley55
08-02-2022, 01:20 PM
JimKirk,

I really like your suggestion. I did polish the point on mine and I tried raising it for the shorter stroke as I had seen suggested somewhere but without the collar stop. I didn't like the lack of a solid stop for fear of damaging the jaws. The addition of the stop collar is so dang obvious I feel embarrassed for not having thought of it myself. I will be watching for your measurements.

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 01:27 PM
JimKirk,

I really like your suggestion. I did polish the point on mine and I tried raising it for the shorter stroke as I had seen suggested somewhere but without the collar stop. I didn't like the lack of a solid stop for fear of damaging the jaws. The addition of the stop collar is so dang obvious I feel embarrassed for not having thought of it myself. I will be watching for your measurements.

A piece of copper pipe the right size would work ... as well as a cut off cartridge brass the right length ... But for less than $5 you can fix the stroke easy ...

Mal Paso
08-02-2022, 06:27 PM
Hmmm I just looked at this press on Brownells, $400 delivered? Then you have to fix it? You know this is going to kick the whole money saving thing down the road a few years.

I would chuckle except I just spent too much on a rest.

dverna
08-02-2022, 07:03 PM
JimKirk,

Great modifications that many folks can use. I really like the primer pocket swager!!! Brilliant.

Nice job

oley55
08-02-2022, 07:29 PM
Hmmm I just looked at this press on Brownells, $400 delivered? Then you have to fix it? You know this is going to kick the whole money saving thing down the road a few years.

a hack to shorten the throw for short pistol cartridge's is hardly fixing it. I'm not aware of many presses out there that allow the press's top to bottom throw to be adjusted for different cartridge lengths.

Mal Paso
08-02-2022, 07:58 PM
a hack to shorten the throw for short pistol cartridge's is hardly fixing it. I'm not aware of many presses out there that allow the press's top to bottom throw to be adjusted for different cartridge lengths.

It was just sticker shock. It's actually reasonable if you check Brownells latest email with a $1,275 turret press. I will keep my eye out for a deal. I'm happy with the Rock Chucker but I could have 2 presses. That's actually conservative around here!

M-Tecs
08-02-2022, 08:36 PM
It was just sticker shock. It's actually reasonable if you check Brownells latest email with a $1,275 turret press. I will keep my eye out for a deal. I'm happy with the Rock Chucker but I could have 2 presses. That's actually conservative around here!

I would recommend finding a buddy that has one and use it before you purchase. Some people love these presses and some people not so much. I have two. Got my first in the early 80's. I am strongly in the "not so much" camp. I have a bunch of presses. It's one of my many vices. I tend to collect them. Neither one of my Co-Ax's has lived up to the hype or my expectations.

The test comparisons here are very similar to my experiences. https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04/08/fourteen-reloading-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/15/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/co-ax-frankford-arsenal-forster-vs-rockchucker-for-2021.4020810/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 09:24 PM
JimKirk,

Great modifications that many folks can use. I really like the primer pocket swager!!! Brilliant.

Nice job

I don't mix brands of brass when swaging ... I adjust the primer jaws for one brand as even though small ...there is a slight difference in rims ... doing so keeps you from messing up the rims ... still have be careful not to man handle just like priming .... but I did over a thousand LC .223/5.56 with just one ruined rim.... it does not replace a dedicated swager ....but does work ... only trick is getting the profile of the swage post right...

One more little tip ...the primer setup post"tool" with the large primer/small primer ends are perfect for checking primer pocket size....

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 09:30 PM

There is absolutely nothing that has to be "fixed" for the CoAx to work perfectly as it comes ... Nothing!

Mal Paso
08-02-2022, 09:37 PM
There is absolutely nothing that has to be "fixed" for the CoAx to work perfectly as it comes ... Nothing!

"I'm a Doctor Jim, not a damn engineer!"

JimKirk
08-02-2022, 10:41 PM
"I'm a Doctor Jim, not a damn engineer!"

I have A PHD in Red Neck Engineering...��

dverna
08-02-2022, 10:52 PM

You made me smile with that! I have a degree in engineering and appreciate good common sense solutions like you have come up with.

BTW, when I was a young engineer, I was blessed to have an old Brit who “worked for me”. I learned a lot from that old machinist. I kept my mouth shut and let him educate me. I could teach him nothing. An education without common sense is useless.

Again, thank you for sharing your ideas.

jmorris
08-02-2022, 11:33 PM

Sir, I would proudly hold your beer.

oley55
08-03-2022, 08:41 AM

Well there is one or two things that just can't be fixed...I can not use my RCBS collet bullet puller with this press or the Lee push through type bullet sizers.

I am of course assuming you haven't made a hack for these as well. LOL

trebor44
08-03-2022, 10:10 AM
My "Forester" is a Bonanza (bought new)! Used with a short handle for pistol rounds (low volume) otherwise a 'progressive' for higher volumes of rounds. Some RCBS lock rings can be 'slimmed' down to work in the press, some older ones work as is. The primer catch container can be increase in volume as desired (lots of options). Works great for "precision" rifle reloads. Also note, other brands of dies work with a simple lock ring swap. And do lube it as needed. And I like to prime off press with a hand primer (Lyman).

AnthonyB
08-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies! This has been exactly what I wanted.
Tony

mdi
08-03-2022, 12:43 PM

The press is great right out of the box and all the modifications are just "customizing" for personal preferences...

JimKirk
08-03-2022, 04:23 PM
Sir, I would proudly hold your beer.
J. I have seen your works on several the forums I visit ....I wish I had access to the machines you do .... I love building "stuff" ...sometimes it works great ...sometimes it don't!!! I like to meet you in person one day and shake hands ...

JimKirk
08-03-2022, 04:29 PM
Well there is one or two things that just can't be fixed...I can not use my RCBS collet bullet puller with this press or the Lee push through type bullet sizers.

Why can't you use the push through dies ??
I use the push through Redding G-Rx die with my 357 SIG ... I did modify the "shell holder" type push rod to .30/06 size head (.473) ...the jaws hold it just fine and have sized over 3000 357 SIG brass using it ....

Please explain you problem...

richj
08-03-2022, 04:55 PM
I once had a stuck case , ripped part of the rim off in the Rockchucker.
Screwed the dies out, popped it in the Co-ax and pulled the case right out.

PS my press is an older one with the hex screw to hold the dies in.

oley55
08-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Why can't you use the push through dies ??
I use the push through Redding G-Rx die with my 357 SIG ... I did modify the "shell holder" type push rod to .30/06 size head (.473) ...the jaws hold it just fine and have sized over 3000 357 SIG brass using it ....

Please explain you problem...

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-sizing-kit This big red thing doesn't fit under the handle and modifying the push stub is more effort than just using my RC or old Lee three hole turret.

JimKirk
08-03-2022, 09:09 PM
https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/bullet-sizing-kit This big red thing doesn't fit under the handle and modifying the push stub is more effort than just using my RC or old Lee three hole turret.

Well that is only the catch container ... the die would still work as designed ... you'd just have catch the bullet by hand or put a rubber tube over the die and direct the bullets to a container sitting behind the press....

There Is little that can not be made to work ... the collet type dies are one ...but the can use the shell holder adapter ...if it was your only press ... take about the same time as changing the jaws around...

Yeah changing the push rod took about ten minutes in a drill press ....pretty simple ...
https://i.postimg.cc/8cnG5qXq/IMG-20190212-101656537.jpg (https://postimg.cc/D4sHpYTg)

mdi
08-04-2022, 12:30 PM

I have sized a few hundred 45 cal. bullets on my Co-Ax with a simple to make ram, took about 2 minutes. My press was set up for 45 ACP so I took a 45 ACP case and shoved a .450" or so dowel, 2 1/2" long into the case and set the case in the shell holder jaws. Granted I don't use the "big red thing" and I just pick the sized bullet off the top of the Lee sizing die by hand and drop it into a container (pick up an unsized bullet with my left hand, set it on the ram and guide it into the die as I raise the ram. As the bullet is sized I raise my left hand 3 1/2" and pick the bullet off the top of the die. No big deal). No, not speedy automatic anything, but In have a few "customized" Lee push through dies that I can use quickly and easily and I don't have to remove my Co-ax from the Rock Dock and set up my single stage Pacific press to size a hundred or so bullets.

Since I don't need to pull many (none) jacketed bullets I don't use a collet bullet pulling die, and it won't hold cast bullets good enough either...