PDA

View Full Version : Ordered an 1858 Uberti stainless

armoredman
07-29-2022, 03:17 AM
Stoked by the stainless finish and toughness of the 1858 frame. Anyone have any words of wisdom for this revolver?

bedbugbilly
07-29-2022, 07:58 AM
Congrats and enjoy when you get it! Only advice I can give is to remember you live AZ where the sun always shines - you might want to get a pair of sunglasses to wear when you are shooting it! LOL Plus side is you can always use it for a signal mirror if you ever get lost out in the desert. "-)

It will be a good revolver and you'll like it. Have fun with it. . . . and stay cool out there! :-)

Pereira
07-29-2022, 08:51 AM
I have an 1858 replica, not a ss.
Fun pistol and I even took a deer with mine some years back.
The #11 caps have started showing up at the WW here as of late.
Have shot both reg. BP and Pyrodex through it, both quite accurate.

RP

Castaway
07-29-2022, 10:02 AM
http://geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps1Mobile.html

Jackrabbit1957
07-29-2022, 10:48 AM
My only suggestion is to get the timing checked and corrected if its not right, most Italian replicas are not timed properly out of the box.

LAGS
07-29-2022, 11:18 AM
I had a Stainless Steel pistol years back that like said was really shiny.
So I bead blasted the pistol to make a more Matt Finish.
In fact,
I still have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 stainless that I bought when I was 21.
To dull it down a bit , I just buffed it down with a Scotchbright pad.
It isn't as shiny now , but not a totally matt Finish.
Maybe the Italian pistols are a little off on timing because they have Jet Lag from being shipped halfway around the world.
LOL

36g
07-29-2022, 11:51 AM
I have several in blued finish - two in .44 and 7 1/2" barrels and one in .36 with 5 1/2" barrel. The two .44s are cartridge converted and were used by Sam Worthington in "The Last Son" movie. Attached a couple of photos. Both were distressed for the movie. The actions really smoothed out by the time the filming was over...

You will like yours I'm sure.

Jackrabbit1957
07-30-2022, 10:32 AM
LAGS, you may be right about jet lag! It's interesting to me how many oddball little problems I run into while tuning these revolvers. Just had 2 Piettas recently with tight wedge slots that wouldn't seat the barrel lug and frame together, the wedge would be bound in the arbor slot and not pulling both pieces together. With Uberti it's the short arbor thing but the internals are really good, like they started to tune the revolver and stopped halfway through.

armoredman
08-04-2022, 12:46 AM
Wow...this is one sexy beast. I'll clean and shoot soon, but I'm already thinking custom grips and nice leather for my first barbeque gun! Action seems smooth, grips are slightly proud above the backstrap, will have to sand down slightly. I don't really know how to check the timing, but it LOOKS like it lines up...

bedbugbilly
08-04-2022, 09:13 AM
Looks great! You are going to LOVE it. The '51 Colt Navy has always been my favorite, but I own six '58 Remingtons - Pietta and Uberti - 5 pistols and 1 revolving carbine - 36 and 44. All have been great right from the box - smooth actions and no issues at all. I doubt you will have "timing issues: so don't fret over it - just shoot it and enjoy it and have fun!

The grip being a bit "proud" is not unusual and is an easy fix. Take a look at what AZ Grips offers - you can see them on fleabay. I recently got a set of their checkered aged ivory grips for a '51 Navy project I'm working on and I like them. Thinking of a set of them for a '58 Remington 5 1/2" I'g going to use a Kirst Conversion gated cylinder in.

You got a "keeper" - enjoy!

Texas by God
08-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Very nice, I'm jealous. Take the grips off, field strip it and put the parts in the dishwasher after shooting. It works well.
I've only had Colt copies and Ruger Old Army cap & ball revolvers in the past. I'd love to try a Remington copy.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

andy h
08-05-2022, 06:03 PM
I had the 1858 NMA target in stainless and after maybe 7-800 shot's noticed a bit of gas cutting on the strap , I do not know if this was down to me using felt wad's under the ball or not.

Super Sneaky Steve
08-05-2022, 07:52 PM
Pedersoli makes the best Remington replica, but you're going to pay for that perfection.

armoredman
08-08-2022, 12:13 AM
The dishwasher? Never thought of that - certainly there are parts inside that aren't stainless?
I didn't get out this last weekend, so it will be this weekend. I did take the grips off, sanded them down and stained them back to almost the same, even though the area sanded turned out to be much smaller than I thought. They are not a tight nit, so they had "rotated" slightly, moving them back and retightening the grips solved most of the problem.

Jackrabbit1957
08-08-2022, 10:18 AM
I would think the missus would have something to say about the sulphur smell coming from her dishwasher.

45 Dragoon
08-09-2022, 08:31 PM
Not to mention exposing your family to lead poisoning !!!! I would never do that !!!

Mike

lbrowning
08-09-2022, 09:33 PM
I have that exact model in stainless and it's my favorite BP handgun. Surprisingly accurate; you're going to love it. Good luck.

armoredman
08-09-2022, 11:17 PM
Getting out to the range this weekend, ordering a holster/belt. It's the cheapo Triple K rig, but that's what I could find.

barnetmill
08-10-2022, 12:06 AM
Wow...this is one sexy beast. I'll clean and shoot soon, but I'm already thinking custom grips and nice leather for my first barbeque gun! Action seems smooth, grips are slightly proud above the backstrap, will have to sand down slightly. I don't really know how to check the timing, but it LOOKS like it lines up...

Looks like you can get conical/picket bullets into it. I t would look horrible, but I would find someway to make sure the front sight and rear notch were dark. That looks like a very strong gun.

armoredman
08-10-2022, 01:56 AM
The front sight is a wee bit hard to pick up, so I might paint just the back edge either black or orange, and it certainly feels strong as a tank.

armoredman
08-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Success! Load was 30 grains of Olde Eynsford 3F with CCI #11 caps. A couple caps fell off the first go round, pinched on afterwards with no issues. We put 4 cylinders worth through it, and unlike my other BP handguns, it did not start to feel like it was crunching up at all. Mechanism stayed smooth. I haven't shot a big bore revolver in some time - have the most curious little blood blister on my trigger finger...

So, my son, (shooting his Kit Carson that LAGS rebuilt for him - we were in a black powder frame of mind!), and I arrived on the line and set up.

Cleared the nipples and loaded up for work. Target a standard B-27 set up at 16 paces. I knew BP revolvers tend to shoot high, so I wanted a big target. I wasn't wrong.

So, I added an aiming point.

Not bad.

The son was off playing with his rifle...

But he wanted to try this one, too. Keep in mind, he has never shot a revolver in his life, and certainly never a black powder short gun. Notice the semi auto grip - I didn't even notice until now.

How did he do? Little rassel fratzing rassal fratzer!

No binding, no huge mess, had a few caps jam up, but all in all, it was quite pleasant and easy to use. Some of the first caps fell off - a quick light pinch and we were off to the races.
Me happy.

armoredman
08-11-2022, 08:06 PM
Man, stainless cleans up very easily!

LAGS
08-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Yes it does.
Why do you think they make kitchen utensils out of it.

armoredman
08-12-2022, 02:17 AM
Yes it does.
Why do you think they make kitchen utensils out of it.

:groner:

derek45
08-12-2022, 08:07 AM
SLIXSHOT nipples

.454" mold

BALLISTOL

Even in stainless, . . . I'd clean it as soon as I got home.

https://i.imgur.com/Wj716AB.jpg

Jackrabbit1957
08-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Change the nipples or modify them for the # 11 caps. You're flirting with a chainfire by having to pinch them. You may be able to turn down slightly and get a better fit, though it's probably better to replace them. If you try to turn them you need a shank diameter of .174 at the middle of the cone to get a snug fit for CCI caps.

Battis
08-12-2022, 11:54 AM
Pinching isn't bad...
This is from an old COLT INDUSTRIES - FIREARMS DIVISION pamphlet:
"Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although as different sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom so they will stay on the nipples..."

armoredman
08-12-2022, 03:59 PM
I was thinking SlixShot nipples anyway. And yes, I cleaned it - even just 24 shots was quite fouling. However, stainless cleans up easy!
I am also using up the CCI caps - I have some Remington #11s I will use next.

Jackrabbit1957
08-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Should not have to pinch caps to keep them in place, it leaves a gap that can contribute to a chainfire. Best bet is to have nipples that the caps fit on snugly. Go with the Slixshots.

36g
08-12-2022, 05:30 PM
If you are looking for gun leather and want to be more period correct, look at Track of The Wolf for a holster and a plain leather pistol belt (unless going Civil War motif). Period correct would exclude what is referred to as a "drop loop holster rig" as seen in most western movies. Designs known as Mexican single or double loop holsters or a Slim Jim style would work in either a strong side or cross-draw configuration.

Battis
08-12-2022, 05:34 PM
I said, "Pinching isn't bad...," but never said it was perfect. Of course, caps that fit perfectly every time, even when the nipples are fouled, would be great. Pinching a large cap on a nipple is much better than using caps that are too small.

armoredman
08-12-2022, 06:04 PM
If you are looking for gun leather and want to be more period correct, look at Track of The Wolf for a holster and a plain leather pistol belt (unless going Civil War motif). Period correct would exclude what is referred to as a "drop loop holster rig" as seen in most western movies. Designs known as Mexican single or double loop holsters or a Slim Jim style would work in either a strong side or cross-draw configuration.

I looked there, didn't find exactly what I wanted, but a Slim Jim style is what's coming to me now from MidwayUSA. The actual gunbelt...that I will have to wait on.

36g
08-12-2022, 07:34 PM
I looked there, didn't find exactly what I wanted, but a Slim Jim style is what's coming to me now from MidwayUSA. The actual gunbelt...that I will have to wait on.

What style of holster were you looking for?

armoredman
08-12-2022, 10:00 PM
Originally, just a belt style rig, maybe a WEE bit nicer looking than your typical Triple K Slim Jim, but some day a nice fancy tooled rig so I can wear this to a Texas BBQ. [smilie=w: I figure this in a fancy Slim Jim style holster and the 1875 in a cross draw rig...just thinking out loud...

36g
08-12-2022, 10:43 PM
Originally, just a belt style rig, maybe a WEE bit nicer looking than your typical Triple K Slim Jim, but some day a nice fancy tooled rig so I can wear this to a Texas BBQ. [smilie=w: I figure this in a fancy Slim Jim style holster and the 1875 in a cross draw rig...just thinking out loud...

A little bling (in the form of "spots") can dress up a plain holster. The degree of dressing it up is entirely variable - from a little to a lot. It personalizes the holster to your wishes. Historical evidence supports the use of this type of decoration as well.

armoredman
08-13-2022, 02:02 AM
???

36g
08-13-2022, 09:07 AM
Brass or nickel spots - something like this:

https://www.riverjunction.com/cheyenne_cross_draw_5744.html

LAGS
08-13-2022, 01:41 PM
I use to make my own holsters since I had so many pistols.
I did the brass or nickel studs on some to dress them up.
I think it makes some holsters more fancy.
If you have a plain holster already,
You can dress it up with studs that you can get at Tandy Leather or on line.
Installation is pretty easy.

36g
08-13-2022, 05:38 PM
Here is a real basic example - dual holster rig for a pair of LeMat revolvers.

cwlongshot
08-13-2022, 05:42 PM
I wanted one in 45 Colt for decades. I recently bought a 1875 in 45 Colt. The short cyl on the conversion cyl was my biggest deterant.

Best of luck with yours!!!

armoredman
08-14-2022, 04:54 AM
36g, thanks for the link - I am perusing right now...:-P

armoredman
08-14-2022, 05:22 AM

I think that's a pair to draw to...

Fastleo
08-16-2022, 09:41 PM
Where did you order it from.

armoredman
08-17-2022, 01:16 AM
The 1858 came from MidwayUSA, the 1875 came from an estate sale.

armoredman
08-21-2022, 02:55 AM
Made this picture with a vest I bought at a thrift store in Kilgore, Texas, and a white shirt...I was bored, but I like it.

45 Dragoon
08-21-2022, 10:42 AM
I wanted one in 45 Colt for decades. I recently bought a 1875 in 45 Colt. The short cyl on the conversion cyl was my biggest deterant.

Best of luck with yours!!!

Short cylinder? Haven't had any problems with any of mine . . .
Can you explain?

Mike