PDA

View Full Version : Rust kills KIA Sportage

warren5421
07-28-2022, 12:38 PM
Wife 2009 KIA Sportage is dead!!! Uni-body car, rear subframe arms rusted till parts of reared mountings are pulling out of the frame arm. Unsafe to drive. Most of this type of car rusts there and are only good for 10-17 years. The body of the car has no rust so was looking at another 70,000 miles or 8-10 years the way she drives.

It was an experience trying to buy a car today. We have a Honda HR-V SPORT in transit be here Aug 13-17. Had to pay sticker price but no add on price. Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200. Wear-Tek isn't that high.

TyGuy
07-28-2022, 01:14 PM
The new HR-V is a massive improvement over the previous iteration. I hate that you’re out a car but I think you’ll be pleased with the new ride. I see a LOT of problems with Kias and Hyundais.

Winger Ed.
07-28-2022, 01:22 PM
Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200.

There is always some money grab like that going on.
Years ago, dealers here charged $200.oo for pinstriping a new car.
It was not painted on. It was a 1/16th and a 1/8 inch double line of tape going from front to back.

At the time, you could buy the same pinstripe tape the dealers used from a body shop supply store for $9.88 plus tax.
That got you a 150 foot roll of it.

Rapier
07-28-2022, 01:52 PM
I know, get yourself a really cheap, Tesla. Course there is the…….list is very long, negatives, starts with the price.
As a farmer I am waiting for the 3 point hitch and the PTO so we can plow with them……

downzero
07-28-2022, 02:19 PM
I am impressed that the engine in any Korean car lasted long enough to rust the car out.

lavenatti
07-28-2022, 02:33 PM
Years ago, dealers here charged $200.oo for pinstriping a new car.
It was not painted on. It was a 1/16th and a 1/8 inch double line of tape going from front to back.

At the time, you could buy the same pinstripe tape the dealers used from a body shop supply store for $9.88 plus tax.
That got you a 150 foot roll of it.

Exactly what I did in 1995.

NSB
07-28-2022, 02:33 PM
I am impressed that the engine in any Korean car lasted long enough to rust the car out.
I’m not. I worked over 40 years in the auto industry for both GM and Ford in quality engineering/mgt. I have also worked with several Asian manufacturers on joint ventures. Don’t confuse S. Korea with China….two completely different quality worlds and approach to longevity and reliability.

HWooldridge
07-28-2022, 02:42 PM
I have a 2015 Hyundai Tucson that's a pretty good car - no problems except the clear coat is starting to lift in various areas where the sun hits the hardest. I just bought my wife a 2022 Chevy Equinox but only about 75 miles on it so not enough history to comment on life expectancy - but her last Equinox had zero problems. I ordered a new Subaru Outback for myself but it's a 3 month wait. In the meantime, the Hyundai keeps chugging along. I would have no problem buying another one if the Subaru deal falls through.

BLAHUT
07-28-2022, 03:54 PM
You could have some steel plates welded in to replace the ones that rusted away and have another few years left in your ride

farmbif
07-28-2022, 04:02 PM
ziebart is less than $300. is probably much better than anything the dealer is offering for $$thousands.
dealers want you to buy all other kinds of things these days, selling a vehicle alone isn't good enough for them anymore they got extended warranties and towing service and electronic doodad monitoring and all kinds of other monthly fees they can add to you vehicle sale price. buyer beware on all those add ons. most extended warranties no matter who sells it to you aint worth the paper its written on

skrapyard628
07-28-2022, 04:03 PM
I have a 2015 Hyundai Tucson that's a pretty good car - no problems except the clear coat is starting to lift in various areas where the sun hits the hardest.

Watch out with that Tucson. If it has the theta motor in it then its a ticking time bomb. There is a 2013 Tucson that is a driveway ornament at my house right now. Its blown up 2 motors already (con-rod bearing failure, and then crank bearing failure) and the 3rd motor is starting to knock already. We have been fighting the dealership about replacing the motor a 3rd time now.

HWooldridge
07-28-2022, 04:18 PM
Watch out with that Tucson. If it has the theta motor in it then its a ticking time bomb. There is a 2013 Tucson that is a driveway ornament at my house right now. Its blown up 2 motors already (con-rod bearing failure, and then crank bearing failure) and the 3rd motor is starting to knock already. We have been fighting the dealership about replacing the motor a 3rd time now.

I have the 2.4l Theta and so far, no problems (knock on plastic); this one has 122,000 miles. I really hope my Subaru arrives before too long - I already made a deal with the car dealership so hopefully nothing blows up on the Hyundai in the meantime.

Winger Ed.
07-28-2022, 05:55 PM
selling a vehicle alone isn't good enough for them anymore

It never was.

If you own a new car dealership---
The real money to be made is in the parts and service depts...... Not the show room.

jonp
07-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Hyundai's are known for being a 100,000 mile car. 2 CRV's hsre . 97 has 180,000 and the 2006 100,000. Both run down the road boring with AWD. I think we are going to trade the 2006 in for a new HR-V as our last car. Still looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel in good shape for a hot shot then camper puller

xs11jack
07-28-2022, 08:55 PM
I think this is true info, the outfit that owns the Indianapolis 500 track and makes the rules the car owner have to live with, has decreed that all cars in the future will have to have Honda engines because they don't break?
Ole Jack

MaryB
07-29-2022, 12:41 PM
Wife 2009 KIA Sportage is dead!!! Uni-body car, rear subframe arms rusted till parts of reared mountings are pulling out of the frame arm. Unsafe to drive. Most of this type of car rusts there and are only good for 10-17 years. The body of the car has no rust so was looking at another 70,000 miles or 8-10 years the way she drives.

It was an experience trying to buy a car today. We have a Honda HR-V SPORT in transit be here Aug 13-17. Had to pay sticker price but no add on price. Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200. Wear-Tek isn't that high.

Subframe arms should be a replaceable part... if the body mounts are rusty fabbing up new mounts would be easy

MaryB
07-29-2022, 12:41 PM
deleted... double post for some reason

warren5421
07-29-2022, 10:54 PM
The 5 body shops I asked would not touch it. Said unrepairable as is part of the frame stability structures and they can't make and weld to the frame/body pan area and get the strength the factory does.

Winger Ed.
07-30-2022, 12:41 AM
T they can't make and weld to the frame/body pan area and get the strength the factory does.

Nobody that knows much about these modern cars will weld on the uni-body type frames.
It weakens and screws up the heat treat. They can very easily crack & break right next to the weld.

As far back as the 80s, heavy trucks had "Do not weld to frame" stenciled all over them for the same reason.

barnabus
07-30-2022, 05:35 AM
just ordered a crv ex but wont be here till october msrp plus $2500 joe bidens america really sux

warren5421
07-31-2022, 02:01 PM
The salesman that sold a Honda HR-V to us said Honda doesn't like the dealer marking up. Honda can fine them so call or write Honda about the markup. Several dealers I talked to said a protection package is add by dealer when car hits the lot. My salesman said it is BS and Honda gets mad if the dealer requires it before they will sell to you.

farmbif
02-13-2023, 10:17 AM
its sad that it seems obsolescence is built into just about everything these days. those engineers probably know when just about every part will fail.

popper
02-13-2023, 10:37 AM
2.4l Theta (I & II) both have problems, mainly cooling of cylinders.

ascast
02-13-2023, 10:48 AM
my toyota did the same thing, just put a few 100 into exhaust etc and asked why the tires pointed out. rotten frame
they dont want them to last foever

HATCH
02-13-2023, 10:56 AM
I know, get yourself a really cheap, Tesla

You can get a decent 2013 Model S for around $30k now.
You can get a model 3 for about $8k more that is newer.

Problem is the battery. A replacement battery for a S is around $22k.
Regardless of the amount of miles, it’s just a matter of time when the battery pack will fail.
Typically it’s a handful of cells in a battery pack that kills it.

There is a company that repairs them by cutting out the bad cells or replacing a sheet in the battery pack.

Back to the Kia, it boils down to liability.
No one is gonna repair a vehicle that has a unibody that is rusty.
Most shops believe if they repair it then it’s gonna be their problem when/if it fails.

I don’t have rust problems so much here in SC.
I do drive 60 miles a day going to and from work.
My current commuter is my mother in laws of 2007 Toyota Corolla.
It has 214k miles on it and runs like a top.

My old commuter my daughter is now driving, it’s a 2011 Nissan Sentra with 160k miles on it. It runs good but I will have to sink $1000 into replacing the subframe bushings and $200 or so replacing the catalytic converter (CEL issue)

waksupi
02-13-2023, 11:58 AM
Zeibart undercoating costs around $200 here.

Frosty Boolit
02-13-2023, 01:07 PM
I had a body mount pull right out of a 1988 Jimmy. I fabbed a piece of metal that reached good steel and used sheet metal screws. I would try it on a unit body car too if the rest of the car was still worthwhile.

fixit
02-13-2023, 04:04 PM
Not factory recommended, but I once fabbed a rear shock tower insert that bolted into the remaining good metal that hadn't rusted out...don't remember how many years it was, but it was solid until the car caught fire and roasted. Some times there are options, some times there aren't.

GONRA
02-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Decades ago, GONRA was seekin' a NEW GM "J- car" hatchback for the Little Family - wife, teen age kids, etc.
Dealer's Benevolent Caring-Sharing Salesman started off their All Heart "$500 Rusty Jones" package spiel....

At the time, all us Verker Bees read Automotive News on the job....

Told Salesman that for $20 chemicals and maybe an hours verk
by a High School Dropout its Ready-To-Go "Sucker". ...

Salesman said "OK - for YOU its $50."

Bmi48219
02-15-2023, 01:18 PM
The line items: “Dealer Install Equipment” and “Limited Availability” on a new vehicle sticker are ways to gouge buyers for a bigger profit.
I am big on doing repairs to keep a vehicle on the road, but I can understand why a business would refuse to cobble together suspension system brackets etc. If the repair fails they are liable for any damage or injury.

jonp
02-18-2023, 07:36 PM
Zeibart undercoating costs around $200 here.

Do they do hot oil undercoating where your at? That used to be a thing up in the far NorthEast but I have not done it in years.

brokeasajoke
02-18-2023, 07:45 PM
I've been doing Fluidfilm on my stuff. Got a high volume low pressure sprayer at first then I bout the Woolwax spray kit for $80. Fluidfilm can be had for $40 a gallon and a half gal will do a vehicle. It took 3/4 gal initially on my '87 long bed super cab f250 to get up inside the bedsides and cab corners. A half after that

Plate plinker
02-18-2023, 09:05 PM
It never was.

If you own a new car dealership---
The real money to be made is in the parts and service depts...... Not the show room.

You forgot screwing people in the financing.