PDA

View Full Version : 3D printers-Hope this in the right place

ACC
07-27-2022, 07:45 PM
My son wants to buy me a 3D printer so I can make gun parts. Is this really possible? I know nothing about them.

ACC

johnsonian09
07-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Yes it possible. Mostly make receivers with them and use of the shelf parts for the rest

If you go down this road I suggest becoming a member of defense distributed. They host a catalog of firearms printing files for USA citizens. Due to itar they have to verify your in USA. It’s 50$ to join now I believe

They also sell a specialty desktop cnc that can mill a receiver for you from metal blocks. But it’s around 3grand for the machine. But all you do is push a button and let it run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handloader109
07-27-2022, 08:01 PM
There is a subforum under guns and special projects. But no discussion on making gun parts.
You can make some parts, but in most cases, these are still not really ready for prime time and worth the trouble. Defcad.com has a lot of 3d printed and other processes. They have the CNC mill for ar lowers and some 1911 handguns. It still is cheaper to buy your guns.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Handloader109
07-27-2022, 08:03 PM
Oh, there are a few other sites that host a lot of what is on defcad site. They are more of a consolidator for projects

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

johnsonian09
07-27-2022, 08:07 PM
I mentioned defense distributed specifically only because I trust their designs more then other places. Though you need to keep in mind the ones labeled experimental. But also they have printable upper and trigger assembly designs. Tho I haven’t personally tried those in plastics

Outside of the simple defcad membership purchasing machines should be done because you like to build guns and tinker around and test. Not for economy. Unless you print more receivers then machines$ it’s not more economical. The ar15 lower that uses the u bolts is the only one I’ve tried with reliable success due to the reinforcement of the buffer tube area. However a lot of the designs for 22lr and similar calibers are very successful due to the low recoil or recoiling mass involved.

There are 22lr revolvers like the maveric that are almost entirely plastic except for barrel liner/ brake line that work wonderfully. And recently that same gentleman produced a pretty good almost all plastic(except barrel) 410 shotgun design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk