PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull problem

buggybuilder
07-27-2022, 10:59 AM
I own a B & M powder measure that does not return after moving lever to charge the cartridge. I need to manually move it back to the original starting position. What is wrong and can it be repaired? It measures accurately but is a pain to use and I don't want to discard it.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks

hporter
07-27-2022, 12:21 PM
Is your return spring broken?

country gent
07-27-2022, 06:22 PM
I have seen a couple at shows that had the spring removed. When asked abut it I was told it made them easier to operate and allowed lighter clamping pressure.

Green Frog
07-27-2022, 06:30 PM
There is an internal return spring, IIRC. I felt like it was too hard to fight with so I took all the return springs out of one and just remembered to move the handle back manually (most of the time!) :roll:
Froggie

buggybuilder
07-27-2022, 06:50 PM
Where is this internal spring located? I know it is probably behind one of the many screws....but which one?

Kevin Rohrer
07-27-2022, 09:11 PM
Where is this internal spring located? I know it is probably behind one of the many screws....but which one?

If you look at post-2, it is to the left of the aluminum casting on the left side of the measure.

In this photo, you are looking at the measure from the back.

Green Frog
07-28-2022, 09:37 AM
It’s actually only partly internal, as shown in post #2 above. I tried a weaker one, then in disgust left it out altogether. I don’t recommend, unless it’s being used a lot and you develop the habit of returning the f
Lever each time. Sorry for leaving the wrong impression.

Froggie

hporter
07-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Mine was broken when I bought my measure too. I had a box of assorted springs that I have collected over the years. I tried several different springs until I found the one that operated the lever the way I wanted it to.

Good luck with yours.