PDA

View Full Version : lube for swaging lead cores

sparky
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Hello, new to swaging, never done it, but about to fab up a core swaging die to extruded some lead wire to the correct diameter for swaging. What lubricant can I use commonly found locallay that will work for this? I.e beeswax, engine oil, RCBS case lube etc? I am only swaging small diameter lead cores of about .219 from .250 lead wire. I plan to attempt to make a pellet design for my air rifle. You're probably luaghing, but I have some time to waste and I hope it can be done. There are many well designed and inesxpensive pellets on the market I kow, but I though this would be fun to try. Besides I could custom fit fab the pellet design for my needs. I did see Corbin and others make a die, but the risk in getting one made that works in your bore and power setup is very costly if it doesn't work the first time. If I can come up with something that works well then I may approach one of the pros and get a set of proper hardened perfected dies fabbed up. any input would be apprectiated.

thank you,
LT

30yrcaster
01-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I used to make br jacketed bullets. I used 3 different lubes for cores. Anhydrous lanolin, 3 in 1 oil and cool tool oil. A common method of lubing them is to put a bunch into a ziploc baggie, usually the same number each time, then add drops of the oil, same amount each time, into the baggie of cores. Knead them like bread until they're coated then swage them. I clean them off with simple green then rinse. I stopped using the lanolin in favor of the water soluble oil for cores. Jackets you need the lanolin.

Bullshop
01-27-2009, 05:19 PM
We use bullplate for both cores and jackets.
BIC/BS

sparky
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Great, I'll give those a try and see how it works. SHould be swaging / extruding oversized wire down to usable size today, if that goes well I'll try to whip up some a die for the pellet.

Thanks for the info