PDA

View Full Version : Is powder and primers ever coming back?

Stopsign32v
07-24-2022, 09:23 AM
It’s been what, 2 years now? I haven’t seen stocked powder and primers in 2 years. Does anyone know anything? Are brighter days coming?

Hanzy4200
07-24-2022, 09:36 AM
The issue now, is the supply chain a economy are about to collapse. If not for that, I would say we would see things freeing up soon. I expected this. I argued with several people here two years ago who said I was crazy when I said 2-3 years minimum. I've been buying up anything I can find, though spotty. In the last 6 months I've been able to get around 4,000 assorted primers, all at $5.50 per sleeve. It takes persistence and patience. Powder Valley has had a ever growing list of available powder. They have maybe 25 or so right now. Hang in there. Good luck.

Stopsign32v
07-24-2022, 09:43 AM
The issue now, is the supply chain a economy are about to collapse. If not for that, I would say we would see things freeing up soon. I expected this. I argued with several people here two years ago who said I was crazy when I said 2-3 years minimum. I've been buying up anything I can find, though spotty. In the last 6 months I've been able to get around 4,000 assorted primers, all at $5.50 per sleeve. It takes persistence and patience. Powder Valley has had a ever growing list of available powder. They have maybe 25 or so right now. Hang in there. Good luck.

Yea I've been seeing Powder Valley's emails, which is promising. My problem is I slept on primers and here I am...It's very frustrating. It's even further frustrating knowing where we could be had Trump been elected again and the Democrats were the same Democrats from the early 2000's. I truly believe Obama changed how the Democratic party believed and acted.

Baltimoreed
07-24-2022, 09:47 AM
I’m seeing some powder and bullets in shops. What primers are out there are 3x pre pandemic prices. My personal thoughts are that companies only make money if they are selling their products. With the pandemic closings, give away gov’ment subsidies and people leaving their jobs? companies are having a hard time producing anything and then greedy reloaders who clean off the shelves as soon as they have anything on them rather than only buying what the need. All of the above are creating the lack of components. But reloading components will return. They will cost more but then everything will.

MUSTANG
07-24-2022, 10:59 AM
Greedy reloader is a misnomer. If one follows your logic; producers would dramatically expand production to keep those shelves full (despite Greedy Reloader); because that is how they make a profit. Following same logic; others will see empty shelves and say "I can make and sell that"; and they start filling the shelves, with greedy reloaders eventually being overwhelmed with product.

The above is a simplistic description of what has been termed "The Free Market". Why is it not working? The answer is because we do not have a FREE MARKET! We have allowed the Federal and State governments to incrementally invade our lives, privacy, and businesses over the last 100 years to where everything is regulated and controlled. Couple this with "Business/Government" partnerships (Seems to only happen with Mega Corporations), and we see tremendous impediments to entry into a market.

Any start up would have difficulty entering the market to compete in a "Free Market"; but nothing like what they encounter in today's Federal/State stranglehold on what used to be the "Free Market".

Hannibal
07-24-2022, 11:12 AM
There is already a trend in that the cost will continue to rise and sooner or later shooting and reloading will become hobbies of those with well-lined pockets.

Land Owner
07-24-2022, 12:34 PM
Maintain an "emergency stash" below which you could not tolerate to be without. Rotate new stock into and old stock out of that stash. Purchase wisely (easy to say, more difficult to do). Today's high price is offset - through averaging - with stock already in hand, which was purchased at a lower price. If today you purchase the same quantity as already on hand, your "realized cost" is exactly in the middle of the two. Prices will "eventually" fall, but it is doubtful they will fall far enough to regain the "prices in heaven" we will talk about as the "Good Old Days".

Huskerguy
07-24-2022, 02:26 PM
Lots of opinions on all of this, here is mine FWIW.

There are plenty of primers available. Go to GB and similar sites and if you have the cash, buy to your hearts desire.

Without doubt people contributed to this mess.by their willingness to pay whatever for products. This just encourages the high prices.

Powder in my area is plentiful. Sometimes I have to wait for R 10 to come in. I can't count how many times I have read a person's post about buying such a such powder and then asking what it's good for. Lots of powder bought up that will likely never be used.

Then there are the cries that manufacturers are price gouging. This may be true, I don't know. What I do know is that their input costs, like everyone’s has gone up significantly. Throw in Remingtons bankruptcy.

I was in several places lately and saw 22 ammo everywhere and prices have come down, supple way up. Remember when we couldn't find any 22 ammo?

Electrod47
07-24-2022, 02:55 PM
I wonder at what point in the evolution of American Society did the generation "in their vigor" say in the 1940-60's say ""this is the new normal" or the generation in the years " of their vigor" 1980-2000's say "this is the new normal" etc etc etc. Re-Read Mustangs comment above: This is the ("our") new normal moment and it is here to stay. The "Why?" means little now, cause its the way it is. World economics Global politics effecting resources at all levels have moved on, whatever. We need to just suck it up and get busy how ever, where ever we can find the components we desire. We can still have it all, just now it's based on our tolerance for recreational expenditures.

ACC
07-24-2022, 03:24 PM
There is already a trend in that the cost will continue to rise and sooner or later shooting and reloading will become hobbies of those with well-lined pockets.

That is exactly how I see it.

ACC

charlie b
07-24-2022, 05:12 PM
Mfg prices on powder and primers is up ~30% over pre-covid. Due to the high demand there are a lot of people buying at mfg prices and reselling at double that. But, it is available.

CCI and Federal primers have both been showing up in the local Sportsman's. And in more quantity than pre-covid. They disappear faster because of those stocking up (like me :) ). I have bought 2400 CCI SR match primers in the last 2 months. Price is about $8.50/100 vs $5.50/100 pre-covid. Std primers were $6/100 .

Hodgdon also seems to be catching back up. If you aren't picky there is powder available. I am patient and wait for the powder that I want. It is working as my stockpile is increasing.

Hornady bullets are almost back to pre-covid levels as well, and not much higher in price (if any).

I have heard of at least one company start up for manufacturing primers here in the US. As long as the high demand lasts that might cause one or two others to try to overcome paperwork to start such an operation.

For those of you who are dependent on internet purchasing you are probably going to be suffering from the pricing issues longer. At least until the demand drops enough that the 'scalpers' can't make a good profit.

Shawlerbrook
07-24-2022, 05:27 PM
It does seem that stock is getting slightly better but the prices are still crazy. May be the new normal.

Super Sneaky Steve
07-24-2022, 05:29 PM
Greedy reloader is a misnomer. If one follows your logic; producers would dramatically expand production to keep those shelves full (despite Greedy Reloader); because that is how they make a profit. Following same logic; others will see empty shelves and say "I can make and sell that"; and they start filling the shelves, with greedy reloaders eventually being overwhelmed with product.

The above is a simplistic description of what has been termed "The Free Market". Why is it not working? The answer is because we do not have a FREE MARKET! We have allowed the Federal and State governments to incrementally invade our lives, privacy, and businesses over the last 100 years to where everything is regulated and controlled. Couple this with "Business/Government" partnerships (Seems to only happen with Mega Corporations), and we see tremendous impediments to entry into a market.

Any start up would have difficulty entering the market to compete in a "Free Market"; but nothing like what they encounter in today's Federal/State stranglehold on what used to be the "Free Market".

This is very true. A 300% profit increase in primers would be a signal to produce more and for others to get in on it. I check Ammoseek all the time and domestic primers are almost non-existent. There's a lot more than simple supply and demand going on here. We know our rulers don't like us having guns and ammo so maybe they found a way to keep most of use from having the means for self-protection.

megasupermagnum
07-24-2022, 06:48 PM
I can only tell you a general trend that I'm aware of in manufacturing at the moment is that it is going to get worse this fall. Realize I am not in the ammo, or even firearms manufacturing, but the problems we face are shared by all manufacturers at the moment. We can't even get raw goods right now. I work in a printing factory, and the forecast is that we will not be able to get the rolls of paper needed for the jobs we could be getting. Employee wise, we can't hire any more good workers. I'm not aware of any industry at the moment that is any different. The positions are there, but there are no more skilled workers to be had. It's a good time to move up in a company though, they will train you.

I would not expect anything to change in the next few months. There's no way to increase production right now. Nobody can get the materials or skilled workers. I'm guessing they won't let someone make primers for production until they are certain they know what they are doing, and it's not a job easily automated from what I've seen. Just keep your fingers crossed elections go good this fall, things smooth out with the supply chain, and ammo demand slows this fall. Then maybe next spring things will be better. We also possibly have a new primer factory in Texas opening, but we all know the backstory there.

rancher1913
07-24-2022, 06:49 PM
its simple economics with supply and demand. the manufactures use primers themselves to make ammo that is in demand, they only sell the extra and then to the highest bidder. as long as demand remains strong in the ammo end of things the supply of primers will remain low. i doubt we will ever see the 15 buck bricks of primers like a few years ago. it could get much worse so if you find primers at a cost you can stomach, better stock up.

deltaenterprizes
07-24-2022, 08:29 PM
I have seen more primers available but at scalper prices!
$9-10/100!

megasupermagnum
07-24-2022, 08:50 PM
$9-10/100!

There never was a shortage of primers at those prices. At any point you could always buy primers for $100-$150 a thousand, but that's not a reasonable price to anyone except those who can't buy factory ammo. Everything is up about 30% right now from a few years ago, so I would expect at some point in the future primers will get below $50 a thousand again.

charlie b
07-24-2022, 09:00 PM
There never was a shortage of primers at those prices. At any point you could always buy primers for $100-$150 a thousand, but that's not a reasonable price to anyone except those who can't buy factory ammo. Everything is up about 30% right now from a few years ago, so I would expect at some point in the future primers will get below $50 a thousand again.

Not sure about the $50 line. Current CCI prices seem to be just over that.

GhostHawk
07-24-2022, 09:13 PM
I don't consider 100$ per thousand scalping prices. 150 to 200$ per K probably is.

I have enough of everything I need to last me quite a while. But, as noted, everything is going to cost 2 to 4 times as much to replace.

So I have pretty much quit shooting powder burners. Air rifles at under 2 cents a shot, yeah I'll burn those to keep my eye sharp if needed.

.22mag price per round is almost back to where it was. I bought before the crunch at 24 cents per round. It is now available at 28 to 30 cents per round for the same brands and bullet weights. Considering that to reload to shoot would cost half of that just for primers. .22mag does not seem so bad a deal to me. And I can shoot with no time invested to replace. Just cash and patience to go find the good bargains.

dverna
07-24-2022, 09:48 PM
Ghosthawk, too many people are unwilling to adapt like we have.

Folks do not need to use expensive primers and powders to get lots of trigger time and to stay proficient.

Friday, I shot 250 pellets for less than $4. I was shooting in a 13 mph wind and it was challenging and fun. If I had broken out the 1894 carbine, it would have cost $25 just for primers. Plus the work to cast, clean cases, and reload them. News flash....the paper could not tell the difference. And the darn air rifle is more accurate!!

I was one of those guys who shot over 300 rounds a week for years. Just not affordable now. I love to shoot and have adapted to enjoy my hobby. I see guys here talking about leaving the hobby. It is the only option left for folks who do not want to adapt and do not have deep pockets.

Guys like us will keep shooting until we are too crippled up or the Father brings us home. Keep on keeping on my friend!

TNsailorman
07-24-2022, 10:28 PM
For the time being I am shooting air rifles and pistol only. As far as I am concerned, the "scalper" can choke on their primers and powder. Air pellets are cheap compared to primers and powder. I can stay sharp with air rifles and pistols without breaking the bank or allowing the 'scalper" to get rich. my .02 anyway, james

Hanzy4200
07-24-2022, 11:13 PM
I can only tell you a general trend that I'm aware of in manufacturing at the moment is that it is going to get worse this fall. Realize I am not in the ammo, or even firearms manufacturing, but the problems we face are shared by all manufacturers at the moment. We can't even get raw goods right now. I work in a printing factory, and the forecast is that we will not be able to get the rolls of paper needed for the jobs we could be getting. Employee wise, we can't hire any more good workers. I'm not aware of any industry at the moment that is any different. The positions are there, but there are no more skilled workers to be had. It's a good time to move up in a company though, they will train you.

I would not expect anything to change in the next few months. There's no way to increase production right now. Nobody can get the materials or skilled workers. I'm guessing they won't let someone make primers for production until they are certain they know what they are doing, and it's not a job easily automated from what I've seen. Just keep your fingers crossed elections go good this fall, things smooth out with the supply chain, and ammo demand slows this fall. Then maybe next spring things will be better. We also possibly have a new primer factory in Texas opening, but we all know the backstory there.

This is the gospel. The root cause right now is that raw materials are nearly all being sourced where? Not here. It has become nearly impossible to produce anything in this country without being beholden to the international supply chain. This supply chain is a train wreck, whether intentionally or naturally, pick your conspiracy. Ultimately the government, both sides, have wrecked this country so bad for so long that we are quickly reaching a point of no return.

megasupermagnum
07-24-2022, 11:24 PM
This is the gospel. The root cause right now is that raw materials are nearly all being sourced where? Not here. It has become nearly impossible to produce anything in this country without being beholden to the international supply chain. This supply chain is a train wreck, whether intentionally or naturally, pick your conspiracy. Ultimately the government, both sides, have wrecked this country so bad for so long that we are quickly reaching a point of no return.

I really can't say where some primer components come from. Plus it's the ammo demand creating the reloading market shortage. For sure copper, steel, and lead are the main components, but who knows. It could be something as simple as a lack of nitrocellulose keeping them from meeting the powder demand. I just pulled that example out of thin air, I doubt that is really the cause. If any single component is short you can't complete any product.

Copper is mainly produced here in the USA as far as I can tell. Even with that example, maybe a piece of machinery goes down and all mining stops. We are having a heck of a time getting parts and machinery at our work. Even air conditioning units are over a year out for delivery. Many parts are months out. It's to the point most major repairs now go right to the machine shop. I know for sure everyone is hurting for parts. Even on domestic machinery, the places that build these things cant get skilled labor. CNC's only get you so far, at some point you need real machinists, and they are not easy to find.

Ultimately everything manufacturing is interwoven with multiple industries, and often many different countries. With the giant disruption we went through, it is going to be a while before things smooth out.

Land Owner
07-25-2022, 12:01 AM
Good time to break out the Daisey Cal. 4.5mm Air Gun. Watch the BB's rainbow trajectory from muzzle to target. Make a set of Low, Medium, and High "sight ramps" from a piece of wood, e.g. clothes pin (see diagram); to elevate the rear sight and extend the effective range; no "holdover" guessing if the range is fixed. Learn the effective range for each "flat" in a sight ramp.

I "tuned" mine to a set of those ramps/flats/ranges and keep them with the rifle in a tiny plastic bag. Guesstimating the range to target becomes the GAME as marksmanship becomes quite sharp very quickly. It is FUN and cheap practice that keeps the mind sharp. You can still holdover and the ramp doesn't bend the sight elevator.

https://i.postimg.cc/RFVCbJC9/Sight-Elevators.jpg

dverna
07-25-2022, 12:35 AM
For the time being I am shooting air rifles and pistol only. As far as I am concerned, the "scalper" can choke on their primers and powder. Air pellets are cheap compared to primers and powder. I can stay sharp with air rifles and pistols without breaking the bank or allowing the 'scalper" to get rich. my .02 anyway, james

James...exactomondo.

I have enough primers and powder to last a lifetime IF I do not waste them plinking. I sold primers and powder last year to buy some decent air guns. Guns that will provide years of trigger time for next to nothing.

All this hand wringing about costs makes little sense to me. Unless someone is a competitive shooter, do they really need to shoot thousands of rounds a year at paper and steel with CF rounds?

If magazine dumps are what people want, I do not feel empathy for them. In fact, getting them out of shooting is a good thing.

rbuck351
07-25-2022, 02:27 AM
I have never shot a lot but have been setting aside powder, primers, lead for over 40 years. I now have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days. Even at that I recently bought a 22 cal PCP and around 10/15 thousand pellets. At this point I don't care what happens to the price of components as I probably won't be buying any more. Other than pellets I haven't bought much of any ammo or components in the last 2 years. It has always made me wonder why few people save up for hard times. Has no one heard of the great depression or do they think it can't happen again? I thinks a lot of folks are about to learn a very hard lesson.

dverna
07-25-2022, 08:12 AM
I have never shot a lot but have been setting aside powder, primers, lead for over 40 years. I now have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my days. Even at that I recently bought a 22 cal PCP and around 10/15 thousand pellets. At this point I don't care what happens to the price of components as I probably won't be buying any more. Other than pellets I haven't bought much of any ammo or components in the last 2 years. It has always made me wonder why few people save up for hard times. Has no one heard of the great depression or do they think it can't happen again? I thinks a lot of folks are about to learn a very hard lesson.

Wise words. My son and his wife are in their mid-late 30's and have no idea how bad things could get. They bought a $425k house two months ago and think they made a smart move. I am not so sure. Not my problem as no grandkids yet.

Hannibal
07-25-2022, 09:00 AM
Wise words. My son and his wife are in their mid-late 30's and have no idea how bad things could get. They bought a $425k house two months ago and think they made a smart move. I am not so sure. Not my problem as no grandkids yet.

Home prices are currently outrageous nationwide. Out of curiosity I looked at home prices in the neighborhood where I bought my first house 30 years ago and prices are up 400%. That's in a part of town where I wouldn't want to live which was why I sold the house back then. A $45K house built in the mid 1960s is now a $180K house.

I certainly don't see how it can possibly be worth more than half that price.

murf205
07-25-2022, 09:29 AM
"something as simple as a lack of nitrocellulose keeping them from meeting the powder demand." You might have pulled that one out of thin air but after I called Shooters World Powders, that is exactly what they told me. I was inquiring about Buffalo Rifle and they said the lack of notrocellulose was the reason they could not make any. I have seen a few Lbs of it since then but not much. As far as primers, what is the status on the new manufacturing company in Tx?

charlie b
07-25-2022, 09:38 AM
Long story short. This level of inflation is due to a weird series of events that has changed the world and country markets. It probably will slow a bit, but, not go back to pre-covid levels.

The current inflation trend started a while ago as companies started pulling out of China. They were tired of the Chinese taking Intellectual Property from them. Then the previous administration began a series of trade policies with China (and others) that caused prices to increase. Yes, the purpose was to increase US production, but, that production is a lot more expensive. Then COVID and the huge influx of government hand out money. At the same time production and supply were hurt drastically due to labor problems and quarantines. More price increases as demand surged past supply of most commodities.

COVID also caused a massive change in the work structure. Large numbers of jobs became remote. That meant a lot of folks could move from the expensive cities into rural areas. Housing prices in smaller towns started to go up. Then the lumber prices spiked and made it worse. Not enough construction crews meant higher prices.

Current administration has done nothing to help any of this. Don't know if they don't care or if no one knows how to change it. The Fed could increase lending rates, but, that might lead to worse effects. And, actions taken in other parts of the world are having a large effect as well.

China's issues with COVID variants is causing manufacturing problems as well. They have shut down factories or gone to much smaller production rates. Just look at what one little item did to the world economy, computer processing chips. The automotive industry has been crippled. Yes, this mfg could be moved to other countries, but, it takes time and prices will probably go up due to higher labor rates.

Ammunition prices? Just not important enough for anyone to try to control it.

old_colt
07-25-2022, 11:43 AM
I went in my usual store to purchase components looking for 2400 and some primers. They had 2 types of powder at 60$ a pound and primers were 12$ a sleeve. Don't believe I'll be going back.

gwpercle
07-25-2022, 01:29 PM
It’s been what, 2 years now? I haven’t seen stocked powder and primers in 2 years. Does anyone know anything? Are brighter days coming?

Depends on the next mid term elections ... then in 2 years the next Presidential election .
Things will either get better ... or get worse .
Think about who you vote for ... it may be an important election for America .
Gary

Eddie Southgate
07-25-2022, 01:59 PM
It will get better if and when the President, Congress , and Senate are not controlled by the kind of morons that control it now. This happens every time they take over, nothing new . This is however the worst it's been ,but this bunch is the worst we have ever been forced to deal with so that should not be a surprise to anyone. Delete away !

PS: Who was in office the last time that gas got so high you couldn't afford it ? Bush gas prices $1-$2 range , Osama $4-$5 range and higher, Trump $2-$3 range , prices of everything else follows. Sniff was in office for only a very short time before gas prices started to climb. For the record , I am not a Trump fan but I will vote for him again if forced to , and we will lose again most likely.

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-25-2022, 02:10 PM
Brownell's has been sending e-mails that they have primers every now and then. 2K max as $85/m. I bought a can of Ramshot Enforcer powder at Bass Pro in Colorado Springs a couple months back. They had like a dozen cans on the shelf, limit of one. Another Ramshot powder too, but I cannot remember what flavor. Seeing lots of loaded ammo on shelves, so I think we may see powder and primers picking up before the snow flies.

markshere2
07-25-2022, 02:49 PM
Long story short. This level of inflation is due to a weird series of events that has changed the world and country markets. It probably will slow a bit, but, not go back to pre-covid levels.

The current inflation trend started a while ago as companies started pulling out of China. They were tired of the Chinese taking Intellectual Property from them. Then the previous administration began a series of trade policies with China (and others) that caused prices to increase. Yes, the purpose was to increase US production, but, that production is a lot more expensive. Then COVID and the huge influx of government hand out money. At the same time production and supply were hurt drastically due to labor problems and quarantines. More price increases as demand surged past supply of most commodities.

COVID also caused a massive change in the work structure. Large numbers of jobs became remote. That meant a lot of folks could move from the expensive cities into rural areas. Housing prices in smaller towns started to go up. Then the lumber prices spiked and made it worse. Not enough construction crews meant higher prices.

Current administration has done nothing to help any of this. Don't know if they don't care or if no one knows how to change it. The Fed could increase lending rates, but, that might lead to worse effects. And, actions taken in other parts of the world are having a large effect as well.

China's issues with COVID variants is causing manufacturing problems as well. They have shut down factories or gone to much smaller production rates. Just look at what one little item did to the world economy, computer processing chips. The automotive industry has been crippled. Yes, this mfg could be moved to other countries, but, it takes time and prices will probably go up due to higher labor rates.

Ammunition prices? Just not important enough for anyone to try to control it.

Inflation:

The Federal Reserve has printed money like toilet paper for a long time, but they went into overdrive when Biden was installed.

BIDEN'S WAR ON ENERGY ... started day 1 in office.

Double the price of transportation fuel and guess what gets more expensive? EVERYTHING!

This was deliberate.

remy3424
07-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Nice to see some common sense in some posts here. One thing about the high prices of components...if they were priced at $40/thousand or per pound of powder now, those that need them would likely not be able to find any before the hoarders and resellers grabbed them and were reselling for double/triple that. But it still sounds like many people are buying whatever/whenever they can find at these prices, that will keep this going and going. And whoever thinks we need another primer manufacturing plant....maybe they can finance if and then close down in a few years when the demand is gone again. If you enjoy this HOBBY, you should have had the supplies to do it before this mess started. Maybe some will need new hobbies if they don't like where things are currently. Prices will not go back to where they were and why would anyone expect them to? They will come down... after the orders for loaded ammo are satisfied and the remaining handloaders have 2 lifetimes supply of everything they need.

beezapilot
07-25-2022, 03:52 PM
Vista Outdoor owns most all of the companies that members on this forum use on a regular basis. On Jan 3, 2020 Vista was trading for about $7 a share, peaking out around Nov 2021 at $45 a share, currently at about $29. I think that they make more per primer selling finished ammo than in bulk to a guy who rolls their own. Ammo is on the shelves in increasing amounts- and profits are starting to drop a bit, as soon as the shelves are full of ammo, the components will start to arrive. Powder is showing up in some places, but scalpers know that it is not as easy to sell powder as primers- a more universal component, not to mention smaller and easier to transport. The factories are cranking out product on a profit driven priority, with increasing labor and materials and shipping cost, they need to make money to stay in business. If your LGS is gouging you, that is not the industries problem but a local one. If your LGS is moving less product he has to charge more to keep the lights on.

fredj338
07-25-2022, 04:14 PM
James...exactomondo.

I have enough primers and powder to last a lifetime IF I do not waste them plinking. I sold primers and powder last year to buy some decent air guns. Guns that will provide years of trigger time for next to nothing.

All this hand wringing about costs makes little sense to me. Unless someone is a competitive shooter, do they really need to shoot thousands of rounds a year at paper and steel with CF rounds?

If magazine dumps are what people want, I do not feel empathy for them. In fact, getting them out of shooting is a good thing.

I shoot idpa & I am as instructor & still also take a class now & then. 8000rds a year of cf ammo isnt very much. You run thru your primer supply quickly.
Ammo is coming back where prices are almost at prepandemic for common 9mm & 223. The issue is we dont make the primary components for powder & primers. That is almost entirely outsourced to other countries. Fix that, not likely, then we fix the primer/powder problem.

Shawlerbrook
07-25-2022, 05:29 PM
Does anyone think that the President, the Senate and the Congress really cares about the price or availability of powder, primers, bullets,etc. Just like what they did to the petroleum industry, what’s happening with shooting supplies brings joy to their hearts. As long as their body guards have bullets and guns they could care less about the unwashed masses. Not saying they did this on purpose, but they definitely are thrilled it happened.

Super Sneaky Steve
07-25-2022, 05:41 PM
Depends on the next mid term elections ... then in 2 years the next Presidential election .
Things will either get better ... or get worse .
Think about who you vote for ... it may be an important election for America .
Gary

I can't understand why you think voting would matter. Trump banned bump stocks, Reagan supported gun bans and so did Bush. So far Biden hasn't done much except supposedly banning Russian ammo. I think it's very foolish to think any of these worthless power seeking idiots are on your side. The NRA hasn't put up much of a fight either. I guess they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Texas by God
07-25-2022, 06:15 PM
I called the LGS and the only primers he has are CCI SP magnum. 99.95 per 1000.
Gibsons in Weatherford had CCI SR magnum for $100/1000. They also had several powders but I quit looking when I saw 4198 for $58 lb.
I'll probably buy some SP or LR at that price if it appears.
It is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Eddie Southgate
07-25-2022, 08:22 PM
I can't understand why you think voting would matter. Trump banned bump stocks, Reagan supported gun bans and so did Bush. So far Biden hasn't done much except supposedly banning Russian ammo. I think it's very foolish to think any of these worthless power seeking idiots are on your side. The NRA hasn't put up much of a fight either. I guess they don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Which gun bans were implemented during the Bush or Regan administrations ? Governor Ronald Regan did sign into law the Mulford act in California barring unlicensed carry of firearms on the street as a deterrent to the Black Panthers carrying guns after they showed up armed at the California State Capitol in 1967. Didn't work then and has not worked since as witnessed by all of the armed protesters and rioters that did their best to destroy any number of American cities unhindered prior to biteme's election (??) . I do not trust any person in political office period . If they are not crooked when they take office they get that way if they stay in office very long. "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action 1834-1902 , nothing has changes since he said it.

Regan on guns.
https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-rights-under-president-ronald-reagan-721343
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/reagan-gun-control-quote/

He thought gun control as a personal opinion but as President Of The United States he held to his oath and upheld the second amendment because that was his job , he asked for it , he got it , and he did it and did a damned fine job of it.

Super Sneaky Steve
07-25-2022, 09:22 PM
Which gun bans were implemented during the Bush or Regan administrations ? Governor Ronald Regan did sign into law the Mulford act in California barring unlicensed carry of firearms on the street as a deterrent to the Black Panthers carrying guns after they showed up armed at the California State Capitol in 1967. Didn't work then and has not worked since as witnessed by all of the armed protesters and rioters that did their best to destroy any number of American cities unhindered prior to biteme's election (??) . I do not trust any person in political office period . If they are not crooked when they take office they get that way if they stay in office very long. "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action 1834-1902 , nothing has changes since he said it.

Regan on guns.
https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-rights-under-president-ronald-reagan-721343
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/reagan-gun-control-quote/

He thought gun control as a personal opinion but as President Of The United States he held to his oath and upheld the second amendment because that was his job , he asked for it , he got it , and he did it and did a damned fine job of it.

From your link.

Reagan also cast his support behind the two most controversial pieces of gun control legislation of the past 30 years. His support of the Assault Weapons Ban in 1994 may have directly led to the ban winning the approval of Congress.

Congress passed the ban by a vote of 216-214. In addition to Klug voting for the ban after Reagan’s last-minute plea, Rep. Dick Swett, D-New Hampshire., also credited Reagan’s support of the bill for helping him decide to cast a favorable vote

Is this really the best you can do? Right now the ATF is trying to ban pistol braces. They are doing that because bump stocks were banned. Once they ban pistol braces they will try to ban something else. No one is going to bat for us so no one deserves a vote.

Huskerguy
07-25-2022, 10:24 PM
Home prices are currently outrageous nationwide. Out of curiosity I looked at home prices in the neighborhood where I bought my first house 30 years ago and prices are up 400%. That's in a part of town where I wouldn't want to live which was why I sold the house back then. A $45K house built in the mid 1960s is now a $180K house.

I certainly don't see how it can possibly be worth more than half that price.

I find all of this current mess an interesting perspective on life. I read over and over the only reason for high gas is oil company greed or high ammo/primer cost are greed but think nothing of buying a house from someone and paying 10k or more than asking price. It's called the free market. We love it when it works for us hate when it works against us.

Winger Ed.
07-26-2022, 12:37 AM
I find all of this current mess an interesting perspective on life..

Me too. And there are other interesting things I ponder about.

Such as--
It it some sort of IQ test when people spend $1.29 plus tax for a 16 ounce bottle of water?

Or people who don't think twice about going through the drive thru at Burger Biggie,
spend around $10.oo for a bag of salt and grease along with a cup of sugar water---
but $8-9.oo for a one pound T bone steak is way too expensive.

Texas by God
07-26-2022, 12:56 AM
This thread should have moved to The Pit soon after the OP.
Just sayin"
Since I first voted in 1976 we've had two and one half good Presidents (in my opinion)
Reagan, Trump, and W.

Eddie Southgate
07-26-2022, 01:25 PM
From your link.

Is this really the best you can do? Right now the ATF is trying to ban pistol braces. They are doing that because bump stocks were banned. Once they ban pistol braces they will try to ban something else. No one is going to bat for us so no one deserves a vote.

He supported it after he was out of office. He personally supported some forms of gun control even though he knew it really served no purpose. None of that happened while he was president was the only point I was making. As president he supported the second amendment and never asked for any new gun laws.

Hanzy4200
07-26-2022, 05:26 PM
Heads up! I just got 3 bricks of primers, a keg of W748, keg of H4831, and a few singles of 4064 at Powder Valley! They just got LOADS of stock in. It's a mans candy scramble!

Hannibal
07-26-2022, 05:30 PM
One other thing I've noticed is the LGSs have placed other stock in the area where reloading supplies used to be. I wonder how many will ever sell reloading supplies in the future even if/when the supply returns. Time will tell.

ACC
07-26-2022, 06:50 PM
It will get better if and when the President, Congress , and Senate are not controlled by the kind of morons that control it now. This happens every time they take over, nothing new . This is however the worst it's been ,but this bunch is the worst we have ever been forced to deal with so that should not be a surprise to anyone. Delete away !

PS: Who was in office the last time that gas got so high you couldn't afford it ? Bush gas prices $1-$2 range , Osama $4-$5 range and higher, Trump $2-$3 range , prices of everything else follows. Sniff was in office for only a very short time before gas prices started to climb. For the record , I am not a Trump fan but I will vote for him again if forced to , and we will lose again most likely.

With gas, the problem is the DEMS want to be in control of everything including the environment, so they do what they can to control fossil fuels so they can press their agenda on the people.

Same with ammunition. If they can't take your gun away they are going to do every thing they can to make it a door stop.

Also once again let me remind everyone that ammunition manufacturers are not our friends. They want to make hand over fist profits. Weather it is the individual or the government. They want to soke who ever they can. And since ammunition manufacturing in the US is a monopoly don't expect much relief.

What I am wondering is if over seas companies bring in to much ammo and things, will slow Joe ban them?

Andrew

Hannibal
07-26-2022, 06:53 PM
With gas, the problem is the DEMS want to be in control of everything including the environment, so they do what they can to control fossil fuels so they can press their agenda on the people.

Same with ammunition. If they can't take your gun away they are going to do every thing they can to make it a door stop.

Also once again let me remind everyone that ammunition manufacturers are not our friends. They want to make hand over fist profits. Weather it is the individual or the government. They want to soke who ever they can. And since ammunition manufacturing in the US is a monopoly don't expect much relief.

What I am wondering is if over seas companies bring in to much ammo and things, will slow Joe ban them?

Andrew

All this complaining about the cost of components and hording yet on this very site new threads show up regularly and the available items are scooped up.

We have met the enemy......

1hole
07-26-2022, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know anything? Are brighter days coming?

No one knows that. Today's ammo & component "shortage" is for makers to fill huge (Democrat and RINO controlled) government contracts from 12 gauge to .22 RF and that's politically driven, just as it was during the Obozo/Biden days.

None of us can possibly know any more about when any "brighter days" will come than you but we still have at least two more years of the present regime and I believe nothing will improve until Brandon and his evil clones are gone. And that means the deep state Dems and RINOS have at least two more chances to agan pack millions of illegal votes into the counting systems to protect their power before anything could really change. Until then, anything hopeful we might tell you now would just be our wishing, no better than your own.

Never forget: Firearms only have two lethal enemies; rust and Democrats.

Stopsign32v
07-26-2022, 10:46 PM
Heads up! I just got 3 bricks of primers, a keg of W748, keg of H4831, and a few singles of 4064 at Powder Valley! They just got LOADS of stock in. It's a mans candy scramble!

I missed out but I wonder if that means soon we can see primers at local Cabelas or Bass Pro?

todd9.3x57
07-27-2022, 03:26 PM
i doubt we will see $20/1000 primers or $20/lbs of powder, but i see supply situation is getting better and the prices will be around $40-50/1000 primers and $30-40/lb of powder (providing the republicans win back the house, senate, president).

my own little horde (5000 large/small rifle/pistol primers and imr 4895, rel 7, 2400, unique and hs-6/ 5 or 6lbs of each) is enuff to get me thru this. a 4 or 5 trays of 1000's primers and 8lbs of all powders, then i'll be set for life. i won't buy the prices today or tomorrow, but i ain't hard up yet.

15meter
07-28-2022, 10:11 PM
On my way back across Michigan from Oshkosh earlier today I stopped at 3 different gun shops. All three were well stocked in powder. The one pound limit of the extremely limited selection of a year ago are gone and the prices are coming down.

First shop had several hundred pounds of powder on the shelves, not many primers, a couple of tons of shot and thousands upon thousands of jacketed bullets. They also had a good stock of reloading equipment. Bought an 8 pounder of H-380 for a buddy for $200 and a couple bags of #9's for another buddy, the shot was $53 a bag.

Second shop had much smaller supply of powder, probably under 100 lbs. total. But did have easily 10-20 bricks of primers, some current stock, some pretty vintage. Problem was $15/100.
Good supply of bullets/boolits. Even had several hundred pounds of lead From 10 pound ingots to a 60 pound slab of cable sheathing. Lots of reloading equipment.

Third shop had 100+ pounds of powder, almost no primers, just 209 for shotgun. Lots of reloading equipment and bullets.

They all had a very good supply of 22 LR. Prices are higher that I'm willing to pay but I still have a multi-year supply so I can wait for the price to come down a little further.

Every time I walk into a gun shop the shelves are a little fuller, the prices seem to be coming down. Loaded ammo is filling back in.

I load for 60+ calibers, from the 22 Hornet up to the 470 N.E.

I think the only calibers that I load for that I could not have found something to get on the range or in the field with purchased components are the 470 N.E., 480 Ruger, 318 Westley-Richards and the 8x56R. Didn't see appropriate bullets for those four. Boy, that's shocking.

It's getting better, at least here in Michigan.

ioon44
07-29-2022, 07:12 AM
I just bought 2K of small pistol primers from Brownell's yesterday and one of my LGS's has had CCI 400 in stock for a few weeks. So, it looks like they are starting to show up, you just have to hunt for them.

Shawlerbrook
07-29-2022, 07:26 AM
It does seem like things are starting to loosen up but I still cannot find LRP’s which is the only thing I am currently looking for.
As far as Biden not doing anything to limit guns, did you miss the new legislation he signed last month ?

Stopsign32v
07-29-2022, 04:19 PM
Got lucky today at Bass Pro!!! They had a few more but I figured 600 will last me a little bit. Going to use these for some hot 9mm loads. First primers I've probably bought since 2019. $8.99/100 should I go back and grab more?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52249883926_3c37ff3e09_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/gp/113193676@N08/3600349iK1)

BLAHUT
07-29-2022, 04:32 PM
you can learn more shooting an air rifle in .177 than you ever will shooting a powder based cartage.. if there is an interest I can explain??

dverna
07-29-2022, 05:54 PM
you can learn more shooting an air rifle in .177 than you ever will shooting a powder based cartage.. if there is an interest I can explain??

I converted last year. Currently have 5 air guns.

But most people are not interested in learning to shoot well. Boom and smoke are impressive and important. Targets that clang and jump are "funner" than punching paper

Stopsign32v
07-29-2022, 05:55 PM
I converted last year. Currently have 5 air guns.

But most people are not interested in learning to shoot well. Boom and smoke are impressive and important. Targets that clang and jump are "funner" than punching paper

This guy gets it lol

elmacgyver0
07-29-2022, 06:04 PM
This guy gets it lol

I determined that a long time ago.

Rickf1985
07-29-2022, 06:45 PM
Most modern airguns are "Prohibited weapons" in NJ! Why? Because they are internally suppressed. You even MENTION suppressor in NJ and they will be looking for you. It has become so bad here it is almost comical. The NJ Governor has made it quite clear, publicly, that he wants NJ to have THE most strict gun laws in the country. Well apparently the California governor has the same agenda so they are going back and forth creating more and more bizarre laws. And this crap is passing with nobody from the Supreme court saying Enough is Enough!!!!!!!

Taterhead
07-29-2022, 06:48 PM
Got lucky today at Bass Pro!!! They had a few more but I figured 600 will last me a little bit. Going to use these for some hot 9mm loads. First primers I've probably bought since 2019. $8.99/100 should I go back and grab more?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52249883926_3c37ff3e09_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/gp/113193676@N08/3600349iK1)

I've loaded a few thousand 9mms with Fed 200 primers this year. Work absolutely fine. If you need primers and the price is ok to you, why not add more?

Taterhead
07-29-2022, 06:50 PM

I've loaded a few thousand Fed 200s into 9mm cases this year. Works great. If you have a need and are ok with the price, why not buy a few more?

Bigslug
07-29-2022, 10:36 PM
Yea I've been seeing Powder Valley's emails, which is promising. My problem is I slept on primers and here I am...It's very frustrating. It's even further frustrating knowing where we could be had Trump been elected again and the Democrats were the same Democrats from the early 2000's. I truly believe Obama changed how the Democratic party believed and acted.

The irony in all of that was nobody was buying powder/primers/ammo during the Trump years - presumably due to a lack of urgency - and now we have a lot of Aesop's "starving grasshoppers".

Stopsign32v
07-29-2022, 10:49 PM
The irony in all of that was nobody was buying powder/primers/ammo during the Trump years - presumably due to a lack of urgency - and now we have a lot of Aesop's "starving grasshoppers".

Ain't that the truth!! I'll admit to being one of them! Can't explain it past it feels the "good ol days" aren't coming back. Doom and gloom going forward

Land Owner
07-30-2022, 04:54 AM
The amount of blamo-ammo being shot has slowed to a trickle. Youngsters with their pants pulled up are not "shooting the moon". Some are starting to notice that their guns have "sight thingies" on them and for a refreshing change are actually taking the time to "aim" at their own targets.

The other "oldsters" and me, doing most of the shooting, have lived through previous hard times and stocked up. We continue to shoot with passion and intent.

Shawlerbrook
07-30-2022, 06:32 AM
Don’t forget NYS and our idiot accidental governor in the race to destroy the Second Amendment.

Most modern airguns are "Prohibited weapons" in NJ! Why? Because they are internally suppressed. You even MENTION suppressor in NJ and they will be looking for you. It has become so bad here it is almost comical. The NJ Governor has made it quite clear, publicly, that he wants NJ to have THE most strict gun laws in the country. Well apparently the California governor has the same agenda so they are going back and forth creating more and more bizarre laws. And this crap is passing with nobody from the Supreme court saying Enough is Enough!!!!!!!

Rickf1985
07-30-2022, 08:06 AM
I haven't, He and NJ and Rhode island, Connecticut and Massachusetts have all banded together as a group to fight for THEIR cause. But Governor Murphy and Governor Newsom are in a personal battle I believe. And now Murphy is the leader of the Governors conference or whatever it is called! It is just going from bad to worse. By the way, Murphy's primary residences (yes, plural) are mansions in Germany and Italy. So once his final term is up do you think he plans to stay in his "beloved state of NJ"? He is a multi-millionaire, He is going to flee this country the next day!!!!

haak48
07-30-2022, 09:08 AM
I just checked the Graf & Sons website, and they are showing Bullseye, 2400, 20/28, BE-86 and others in stock. FYI Regards, JH

Rapier
07-30-2022, 10:36 AM
Change direction, if you do not like what is going on. You have the vote. You have the right and you have the obligation to change things.

They are all the same is a bare faced lie, else everything would be the same. And they sure are not the same, are they?

lightman
07-30-2022, 12:27 PM

I don't know anything but my guess is yes they will come back. This is not the first shortage ever and they have always come back in the past. Kind of like the Stock Market!

Stopsign32v
07-30-2022, 03:54 PM
You guys talked me into it, went back and cleaned them out

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52250913107_2bf434bb3f_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/gp/113193676@N08/3279VfQM7q)

Bird
07-31-2022, 02:48 AM
They will be back. I would expect primers at around $40 per 1000, and most powders at $30 per lb, until inflation kicks back in again when the Fed reverses. In fact, there is a fair selection of powders at Midsouth Shooters for around $30 or slightly more.
Buy powder now if you can find what you need and wait on the primers until next year.

Super Sneaky Steve
08-01-2022, 06:32 PM
The "assault weapons ban" passed the house. Get ready for another run on primers, magazines and "full semi-automatic" weapons.

prs
08-01-2022, 08:15 PM
I wish I had stocked-up better to "back then". I had only 8 cases of LP and 4 cases of SP (cases, not bricks of packs) and am down to 2 LP and one SP plus a few packs of rifle primers. I thought 12 cases was excessive, but .....

prs

Texas by God
08-01-2022, 08:59 PM
The fifty part of 4350 is the price per pound at one LGS.

35 Rem
08-01-2022, 09:13 PM
It got real bad during the Great Obama Ammo Famine too and then finally ammo/components caught up with demand again. I recall rimfire ammo supply suffering most from the shortages back then but it affected all ammo and components too. Not as much as this time but it was still bad. Several people asked me to sell them some primers back during the obama years because they couldn't find any anywhere even then.
Ammo/Component supply will recover this time too but from what they are saying in Shooting Industry magazine it's likely at least a year or two out on the horizon before it happens. Let this be a lesson to all who are running low to BUY, BUY, BUY when things stabilize. .

tmanbuckhunter
08-02-2022, 09:27 PM
Components will be back, and probably sooner rather than later at this point, but make no mistake, the prices we enjoyed pre-pandemic are never coming back. $80/brick of primers just might be a dang good price once the dust settles. If you went thru 08/09, 2012, 2014, and 2016, and still weren't prepared for this, then suck it up butter cup. You had plenty of "good" times to prepare.

Dieselhorses
08-02-2022, 11:15 PM
Once again, while we're waiting for paint to dry....

https://mewe.com/join/primerreloading

Piłsudski
08-06-2022, 08:13 PM
FWIW, the fellow at the LGS today told me that the primer problem is due to their being made in Australia, which still has COVID restrictions in place.

Also, with primers and powder, he said that everything was going into the most commonly bought ammunition, so that powders like 5744 were not prioritized.

Apparently, the 6.5 Creedmoor folks and others like them are in the first class and preferential boarding line.

dverna
08-06-2022, 10:32 PM
FWIW, the fellow at the LGS today told me that the primer problem is due to their being made in Australia, which still has COVID restrictions in place.

Also, with primers and powder, he said that everything was going into the most commonly bought ammunition, so that powders like 5744 were not prioritized.

Apparently, the 6.5 Creedmoor folks and others like them are in the first class and preferential boarding line.

The guy is mistaken. Primers are made herein the US.

243winxb
08-07-2022, 09:32 AM
Primer chemicals are NOT made in USA. Primes will be less available. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?445278-Is-powder-and-primers-ever-coming-back&p=5439997#post5439997

quasi
08-16-2022, 03:34 AM
$9-10/100!

This is the going rate in Canada, B.R.Primers $16.00 to 18.00.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-16-2022, 04:47 PM
After talking to someone in the primer business it looks like prices are only going up.

For that reason I bought a "lifetime supply" of 50,000 SPP along with 11,000 SRP and 5,000 LRP. I'm not sure what my total in sock primers are at but this should be enough where I can go back to normal and not have to conserve. It's a big chunk out of my savings but the dollar itself is going in the toilet so might as well have something of value on hand.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-16-2022, 04:48 PM
Question to others. What would your "Lifetime Supply" look like?

Electrod47
09-16-2022, 05:07 PM

When this whole mess started I had what I felt was a good 2-3 years worth of primers and powder for my shooting pleasure. Have my own range and plenty of time. . Since I am not shooting 1/10th what used to be normal. Well I guess I have my lifetime supply and then some. Pulling a trigger these days is a game of subtraction.
For me, shooting has never been about the cost. But, now its like you know what day and hour you will eat your last hamburger, Bummer.

imashooter2
09-16-2022, 08:00 PM

If you’re 93, it fits in a shoe box. If you’re 23, you need a warehouse.

William Yanda
09-17-2022, 07:57 AM
I just got an email promoting RCBS package deals, CCI primers and die sets.

Firelock66
09-17-2022, 10:09 AM
With much ammo now available, one would think that primers would at least start making a come back.

JoeJames
09-17-2022, 12:01 PM
At a local gun show last Saturday, and it was a small show; two different sellers had an assortment of primers of most types. But, all were being sold by the sleeve and not by the carton. Anyhow there was a brand of primers I'd never heard of Chesswic (sp) for $10 a sleeve and normal CCI for $14 a sleeve. I reckon they did not have them out by the carton less it scare some off. So there are now primers out there, but they are kind of pricey!

gliebegott
09-17-2022, 12:25 PM
Part of the issue is panic buying I believe. I am still working off my stock I compiled after the last shortage. I would buy a 1k primers a week or so when the shelves were loaded.

deces
09-17-2022, 02:22 PM
There did the components go? Into ammo. The federal government gets first dibs on everything and biden is having the alphabet agencies stock up again. Then it's local governments turn in line. And somewhere in the mix, ukraine is slurping up whole production lines into focusing on what they want from us tax payers. This is what Americans wanted.

charlie b
09-17-2022, 04:15 PM
With much ammo now available, one would think that primers would at least start making a come back.

They are. Not as fast as powders and bullets, but, at least primers show up on the shelves every now and then. Keep in mind that there are really only two major distributors of US brand primers, Vista Outdoors (CCI, Federal and Remington) and Olin (Winchester). Note: there has been at least one new primer mfg trying to start up in the US. Don't know what their status is, or if there is more than one.

Haven't seen much from Sierra bullets lately either. Mostly Hornady, Nosler and Barnes.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-17-2022, 08:27 PM
The only domestics primers I ever see being produced today are CCI and as I said they have told distributers to expect price increases so $140 per brick will seem good in time. I haven't seen Winchester, Remington or Federal primers since the shortage.

Most of the imports are Murom, Ginex and Fiocchi. Those are the ones I've been buying up.

Tightening sanctions, inflation, war overseas and a possible war at home can only drive prices up up up so I'm going to buy buy buy!

openbook
09-17-2022, 10:03 PM
I'd like prices to stay down too but I always wonder what the inflation-adjusted cost of a shot was back in the founding era. Powder, wads, ball etc.

And I have no bone to pick with volume shooters, but—every time I go to the range I see guys rip mags and litter the ground with hundreds of rounds in literally minutes. And I'm thinking: if these guys will burn $300 of ammo (probably more) every weekend, why would prices go down? (They leave those hundreds of cases on the ground too.)

I still won't buy primers at $15 a sleeve but I have to wonder if that's going to be the new price. As SSneaky Steve wisely said: the dollar is going to get worse, buy while it's worth more.

The LGS has had sleeves of LRPs at $45 for the past couple weeks. I'm glad I'm not there. And as long as primers cost as much as factory rounds (which for some calibers they currently do, or nearly), they won't sell—but how long before the rounds go up?

BLAHUT
09-17-2022, 10:43 PM
I did shoot a lot of powder burning rounds before the shortages and covid put a hult to everything. now I still shoot any ware from 50 to 500 shots a day too keep my eye, hand, mind, sharp, at less than .01 cents per shot. I have a number of air guns, all super accurate match guns, pistols and rifles at 10 meters. this will carry over to when and if, I can get back on the line and compete again? from 10 meters out to 1000 meters. very cheap practice. even a cheap
$100.00 air gun is still good practice. keep them all in the center ?
The demorats will find a way to keep primers as scares or nonexistent as red hen's teeth.

beemer
09-18-2022, 08:37 AM
I don't think it matters what causes the problem or what it cost to make them. Now that the guys that manufacture, distribute and retail primers have seen what people are willing to pay there is no reason to reduce cost. If they can sell all they make for XXX dollars either buy or do without. I hope I am wrong but that's the way it usually works.

Firelock66
09-18-2022, 09:28 AM
beemer, I fear you may be correct.

Maine1
09-18-2022, 10:00 AM
Short answer- NO.

You are talking about the Before Times. "It" will never go back to what it used to be with price or availability.

Hannibal
09-18-2022, 11:57 AM
I saw CCI primers at a LGS over the weekend. $79.99/thousand. Higher than they should have been but not as bad as some I've seen. This particular store often has things that aren't available elsewhere but they're always priced fairly high. I presume that's why they have those things. Many people won't pay the price and leave stuff on the shelf.

Jtarm
09-18-2022, 12:21 PM
I’ve bought a few pounds of powder lately.

Primers still too rich for my blood at roughly 10-cents apiece.

Super Sneaky Steve
09-18-2022, 12:24 PM
I saw CCI primers at a LGS over the weekend. $79.99/thousand. Higher than they should have been but not as bad as some I've seen. This particular store often has things that aren't available elsewhere but they're always priced fairly high. I presume that's why they have those things. Many people won't pay the price and leave stuff on the shelf.

That's the best price you'll find. Buy them all!

Hannibal
09-18-2022, 12:30 PM
I've got all I want for a long time. Someone else can clean them out if they want.

Jtarm
09-18-2022, 12:48 PM
I called the LGS and the only primers he has are CCI SP magnum. 99.95 per 1000.
Gibsons in Weatherford had CCI SR magnum for $100/1000. They also had several powders but I quit looking when I saw 4198 for $58 lb.
I'll probably buy some SP or LR at that price if it appears.
It is what it is.

Ah, we must be neighbors.

I’ve found reasonably-priced powder at Academy. They had small-pistol primers, too, but 10-cents apiece for Federal match magnums, not for me.

Midway has a 2-lb max on 1-lb canisters of powder, which isn’t worth the hazmat unless you’re desperate.

I’ve found Alpine the most reliable source but haven’t been there lately since I’m pretty well set.

JoeJames
09-18-2022, 01:04 PM
I saw CCI primers at a LGS over the weekend. $79.99/thousand. Higher than they should have been but not as bad as some I've seen. This particular store often has things that aren't available elsewhere but they're always priced fairly high. I presume that's why they have those things. Many people won't pay the price and leave stuff on the shelf.I paid about that much for Federal LPP's back in about February from Brownell's plus the dern Hazmat fee, plus local egregious sales tax = @ $107.00. So not bad - but did that include the sales tax? Our sales tax is right at 10.25%.

Hannibal
09-18-2022, 01:07 PM
I paid about that much for Federal LPP's back in about February from Brownell's plus the dern Hazmat fee, plus local egregious sales tax = @ $107.00. So not bad - but did that include the sales tax? Our sales tax is right at 10.25%.

No, that was before taxes.

Hanzy4200
09-19-2022, 02:40 PM
We will never see $30 primers and similarly priced powder. I think there is room to move down from $100 a brick, but my guess is $60-$70 will be the new normal. I hate to say it, but I told them so. I argued on here two years ago with guys who swore prices would be right back to normal in 12 months.

45_Colt
09-19-2022, 07:56 PM
We will never see $30 primers and similarly priced powder. I think there is room to move down from $100 a brick, but my guess is $60-$70 will be the new normal. I hate to say it, but I told them so. I argued on here two years ago with guys who swore prices would be right back to normal in 12 months.

I am afraid you may be correct. The last time I bought primers they were $12 a thou for Win S & L rifle. Fed pistol was even less. Unfortunately I also put all the spent primers over the scales as brass prices were good.

As it is, I too don't see prices dropping that much. Supply chain issues, material costs, labor costs, devaluation of the USD. None of this is in our favor. Although a recession may help, but if it ends up being stagflation, forget it.

I'm just going to get what I can at whatever decent price I can. No orbital prices, just when they are reasonable.

45_Colt

Greg Mercurio
09-19-2022, 08:33 PM
I'll chime in here as an interested but non-participant. If you waited until the post-Obama years to stock up on powder and primers, it's all on you. The handwriting was there in bold type if you were paying attention. While $39/1000 primers seemed outrageous then, $140/1000 seems fine now? Smart reloaders were buying in bulk long before the 2008 election, banking on the inevitable. We were not omniscient, just prudent. No, I'm not in the market to sell my stash. I'm not wiling to deplete my supplies at any price. If you're crying about current pricing, or supply chain issues, look back on your history and learn. Sorry if this seem brutal, but history is seldom sweet.

Rickf1985
09-19-2022, 09:17 PM
And did you ever happen to think about those of us who were not in a position to "Stock up" for and number of reasons? In my case I had just bought a house and I had those bills and all of the associated bills that come with a "new" 70 year old house. Therefor I was not in a position to stock up no matter how much I knew about the situation. It really chafes my butt when people make it sound like those of us who did not stock up were stupid, or shortsighted, or flat out idiots. We are not all rich like a lot of the people I see on here! As far as paying 10 cents and up per primer, not worth it in my opinion. Add up the price of the primer, case prep materials, bullets, powder. It will always come to just about the same price as store bought ammo. And another thing to consider for all those people that say " Just go to your LGS and buy from there to avoid the hazmat and shipping" Ok, Fine, this is NJ. We have maybe 20 stores in the entire state amd most of them are concentrated in North Jersey, I am in South Jersey. Strike one. The next thing is you are going to pay for the hazmat and shipping anyway, they charge the same price I pay online to my door at the one store I have within 50 miles of me. Strike two. Strike three is that the never have anything just like the online places, they have their "best buddy customers" who get a phone call when the stuff comes in and those customers get the goods before it ever hits the shelves. Hence the average Joe never see it. Strike three. Done. And I can be pretty sure NJ is not the only state with this issue.
So, How about laying off the "well, you should have stocked up before Obama" routine?
Note, This is not pointed at the person that posted this in particular, it is pointed at all of those people that post this message.

No_1
09-20-2022, 07:45 AM
Easy there Rick. Don’t take your anger out on us. Regardless of what you think most of us are not rolling in money. As a matter of fact most of the CB members are older, on a fixed income but have been around long enough to “see” the writing before it hits the wall. In this case the writing is always the same - every 4 years the price of components skyrocket. The prices never come down but availability always bounces back.

I am still pissed the cost of primers went above what I was paying in the 90’s which was $100 per case of 5000.

charlie b
09-20-2022, 08:25 AM
Ya shoulda stocked up on _______________(fill in the blank). Maybe not as smart as you might think.

Prices are higher. Value of the dollar is less. Facts of life.

Prices of most ammo and components have gone up at this point, but, why? To compare, the value of my house has gone from $150k to $225k (50% increase), and it is still rising. The last primers I bought (this summer, CCI BR-4) were $80/1000. Pre-COVID they were $50/1000 (60% increase). Powder increased about 30%.

Would have been smarter to invest in a house pre-covid and then sell it now.

Rickf1985
09-20-2022, 09:45 AM
Easy there Rick. Don’t take your anger out on us. Regardless of what you think most of us are not rolling in money. As a matter of fact most of the CB members are older, on a fixed income but have been around long enough to “see” the writing before it hits the wall. In this case the writing is always the same - every 4 years the price of components skyrocket. The prices never come down but availability always bounces back.

I am still pissed the cost of primers went above what I was paying in the 90’s which was $100 per case of 5000.

I am not taking it out on everyone, just those that try to make it sound like those of us who did not stock up were foolish. The people saying that have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the circumstances of the people that did not or COULD NOT stock up. Yes, we all know we should have but most of us that didn't could not. that is my whole point. Do not try to make it sound like we are lower class people. Do not make it sound like you are so much smarter just because you had the wherewithal to be able to stock up when others could not. All that does is rubs salt in an open wound. And I am only 69 years old so much younger that a lot of those on here. I also worked solid since I was 16 with very little time to do much reloading in that time. I did not have jobs that paid well at all, I was more focused on jobs that provided health care, mainly pension and health care after retirement. And since I was never lucky enough to know the right people to get me into the right high paying job I slogged through the low paying jobs that paid the bills and provided the pension and free healthcare.

I thoroughly enjoy being on this site and I have learned a lot on this site. I have also bought more equipment from members on this site then I ever bought in stores. Never a problem but it is when that type of statement comes up it puts a real damper on the general good mood of the site. At least for me because I was one of those that could not stock up. Those that could just laugh it off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2022, 10:05 AM
I look forward to the local 'rural' gunshow this coming weekend. It's only once a year and is one of the good ones with a wide variety of vendors, if you know what I mean. Last September's show (2021), three different commercial vendors had some primers, all were old stock with tattered boxes, obviously, they were digging into their personal stash, prices were $100 to $125 per brick. I found some nice looking 1970s Alcan primers for $3 a sleeve(100) from a old fellow's table, who said he was clearing out his basement. That same weekend, the LGS got in a shipment of CCI SPP and tagged them at $69 a brick with a limit of one brick...yep they sold quick. I'm not liking this new normal of $100+ per brick that I've seen recently at the few stores that are getting in new stock.

As to stocking up?
I am pretty stocked up with other primers and "was" stocked up with SPP, but I sure did burn through my SPP stash in the last two years.

ANYWAY, I hope to find some SPP this weekend at the show.

Electrod47
09-20-2022, 11:49 AM
Short answer- NO.

You are talking about the Before Times. "It" will never go back to what it used to be with price or availability.

Exactly. There is a reason time frames of the past are referred to as "The Good Old Days". Those were the good old days. It was fun while it lasted. Yesterday The Rockhouse near Meridian MS finally had a tad of powder. Picked up one of the two 1lber's of BLC (2) on the shelf, it 42.99lb Got home and set it next to the last Lb I had bought there 2 years ago with 21.99 price still on it.

dverna
09-20-2022, 02:12 PM
Rick,

I am guilty as charged. It is childish to gloat over being stocked up and I have done it.

But, I was also laughed at by many of my fellow club members when I would buy shot by the ton, powder by the case and 25-50k primers at a time. Many wanted me to "help them out" when things got bad. But of course, at the price I paid for stuff when I stocked up. Yea...sure... I wound up selling most of my stash to "others" and not dealing with my "friends".

I have enough "stuff" left to hunt and defend my home and maybe plink 3-4k rounds a year for my lifetime. I do most of my shooting with good quality air guns to maximize trigger time and conserve what I have left. So, you can keep shooting cheaply if you want to, but it takes shifting gears from powder burners. BTW, may as well sell stuff you cannot afford to shoot and invest in guns you can afford to shoot. That is what I did.

I agree with you. $100 primers make shooting for fun too expensive. They are still a good value for hunting and self defense loads, and most of us will not need more than 1000 a year. Still affordable IMO.

For the others reading this:
It is a matter of priorities. If those complaining about prices had put aside $50/mo over the last two years of this crap, they could order 10k primers today, at rip off prices on Gunbroker, and be set for years of hunting and self-defense ammunition. But how many bought $5 coffee, $10 meals at McDonald's or ate out more than they should?

Being able to defend our homes and families are very high priorities and things are not getting better. We should be glad we can get components easily, if not cheaply, by ordering what we need online. I fear there will come a day when that will not be possible. Then what? My advice is to "read the writing on the wall" and squirrel away a few of thousand primers and a few pounds of powder for what could be coming. It may be the best $1000 a person can invest.

Hannibal
09-20-2022, 05:49 PM
Rick,

I am guilty as charged. It is childish to gloat over being stocked up and I have done it.

But, I was also laughed at by many of my fellow club members when I would buy shot by the ton, powder by the case and 25-50k primers at a time. Many wanted me to "help them out" when things got bad. But of course, at the price I paid for stuff when I stocked up. Yea...sure... I wound up selling most of my stash to "others" and not dealing with my "friends".

I have enough "stuff" left to hunt and defend my home and maybe plink 3-4k rounds a year for my lifetime. I do most of my shooting with good quality air guns to maximize trigger time and conserve what I have left. So, you can keep shooting cheaply if you want to, but it takes shifting gears from powder burners. BTW, may as well sell stuff you cannot afford to shoot and invest in guns you can afford to shoot. That is what I did.

I agree with you. $100 primers make shooting for fun too expensive. They are still a good value for hunting and self defense loads, and most of us will not need more than 1000 a year. Still affordable IMO.

For the others reading this:
It is a matter of priorities. If those complaining about prices had put aside $50/mo over the last two years of this crap, they could order 10k primers today, at rip off prices on Gunbroker, and be set for years of hunting and self-defense ammunition. But how many bought $5 coffee, $10 meals at McDonald's or ate out more than they should?

Being able to defend our homes and families are very high priorities and things are not getting better. We should be glad we can get components easily, if not cheaply, by ordering what we need online. I fear there will come a day when that will not be possible. Then what? My advice is to "read the writing on the wall" and squirrel away a few of thousand primers and a few pounds of powder for what could be coming. It may be the best $1000 a person can invest.

I have a completely different take on this. It's not problem you can 'stock' yourself and your family out of. Hold your elected representation accountable. Start a grass-roots effort and make a change. If you're not willing to do that then you've already given up and lost.