PDA

View Full Version : Bbl and chambering fall 2022 projects

zymguy
07-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Class starts the 28th of August. I need to do 3 rifles . I've acquired 2 of the actions and 0 of the barells but that discussion will happen elsewhere.
The first project will be a 257 Robert's ai . It's going on a large ring Mauser that was graciously donated from a member here .
Second is a rem 788 action is very rough as I bought it from a member here after it went through hurricane Katrina. It will be chambered in 358 win
Third I'm going to get a model 70 and chamber it in 6.8 western .

I have to design and build a muzzlebrake for one of these, I've never been a muzzle brake guy so I may just keep it a little long then cut the threads off and re crown after I get credit . Which of these calibers would you put a brake on ?

Where should I shop for barells ?

I'm open to any and all advice and suggestions.

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

John Taylor
07-21-2022, 04:40 PM
I'm a dealer for Green Mountain barrels but lately they don't have what I need so I have been getting barrels from Douglas. Shilen also has good barrels at a reasonable price as well as other barrel makers. I had a bad experience with Mc Gowen so I don't use them anymore.
As for muzzle breaks, put one on the highest recoil producing rifle, probably the 358. Make or get a brake that will vent at 90 degrees from the bore. The whole idea is to keep the escaping gas from acting as a rocket engine. If the holes are slanted back it does not increase the ability but does make it a lot harder on the ears. A well designed break will take 50% off the recoil.

Moleman-
07-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Another Green Mountain barrel blank user here. Think I've got close to a dozen of their blanks out in the shop at the moment. They're a great value for the quality you get. For the brake, I'd put it on the 358Win.

zymguy
07-27-2022, 09:08 PM
Ive been talked out of the 6.8 western. Considering continuing to look for a mod 70 action and do a 270 or 270 short mag in the 8.5 twist