PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a detailed Lee Loadmaster upgrade thread?

Stopsign32v
07-21-2022, 09:20 AM
It's still in the box at home and I was planning to put it together how it is now, see how bad it is, cause some wear marks to see what parts need attention, and then take it apart polish and add some goodies on it.

I figured if anyone cared for some pictures and opinions on before and after I could make a thread walking down this road.

jmorris
07-21-2022, 09:57 AM
I am sure there are a number who would be interested. I never did a detailed thread on mine but I did spend about a week, during the evenings, getting it to run well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU&t=138s

dverna
07-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Sir,

I mean no disrespect, but it would be interesting to see what a "normally talented" guy can accomplish. I am assuming you have "normal" troubleshooting skills.

J. Morris is like the McGiver of reloading. He does amazing stuff. I week of part time effort for him would be like me struggling for days and then giving up in frustration.

It would be great thread for others looking at saving a bit of money by buying a "lesser" machine and investing a bit of time to get it running well.

My suggestion is to insist on priming on the press. A progressive that will not do that reliably will not "cut it" for guys like me. Once it becomes necessary to prime off the press, productivity drops by at least 50%. I will pay double or triple the cost for a progressive that works...and I have!

Do it!!!!

BTW, last suggestion. After you have loaded 15-20k rounds, do a follow up report. Getting a press running well for a couple of thousand rounds is one thing. Keeping it running over the long haul is important to volume shooters. Even with my Dillon's, I bought the spare parts kits. Plastics bits and pieces will wear out. If those parts are cheap and easy to replace that is acceptable. The only progressive press I never had to fix was a Star. It was all metal.

Stopsign32v
07-21-2022, 09:41 PM
Sir,

I mean no disrespect, but it would be interesting to see what a "normally talented" guy can accomplish. I am assuming you have "normal" troubleshooting skills.

J. Morris is like the McGiver of reloading. He does amazing stuff. I week of part time effort for him would be like me struggling for days and then giving up in frustration.

It would be great thread for others looking at saving a bit of money by buying a "lesser" machine and investing a bit of time to get it running well.

My suggestion is to insist on priming on the press. A progressive that will not do that reliably will not "cut it" for guys like me. Once it becomes necessary to prime off the press, productivity drops by at least 50%. I will pay double or triple the cost for a progressive that works...and I have!

Do it!!!!

BTW, last suggestion. After you have loaded 15-20k rounds, do a follow up report. Getting a press running well for a couple of thousand rounds is one thing. Keeping it running over the long haul is important to volume shooters. Even with my Dillon's, I bought the spare parts kits. Plastics bits and pieces will wear out. If those parts are cheap and easy to replace that is acceptable. The only progressive press I never had to fix was a Star. It was all metal.

Thanks for the good ideas. I think it will make for if anything a good read to critique my process and maybe help me. Best case scenario I help someone else.

ioon44
07-22-2022, 08:28 AM
It's still in the box at home and I was planning to put it together how it is now, see how bad it is, cause some wear marks to see what parts need attention, and then take it apart polish and add some goodies on it.

I figured if anyone cared for some pictures and opinions on before and after I could make a thread walking down this road.

I would not.

Stopsign32v
07-22-2022, 09:14 AM
I would not.

I will make sure to title the thread good so you won't have to accidentally stumble upon it and waste your time. :drinks:

jetinteriorguy
07-22-2022, 03:57 PM
One thing on the Loadmaster priming system, don’t run it low on primers. Once they have dipped below the primer
tray I’d run three more, then refill. It needs the weight of the primers in the chute for reliable feeding.