PDA

View Full Version : What to do with mystery alloy?

bishopgrandpa
07-20-2022, 03:36 PM
When I first started casting (60's&70's) I had only read a few Gun magazines and knew nothing of casting. Computer forums didn't exist and casting technology was in it's infancy. Linotype was on it's way out so that became easy to find. Truck stops were giving wheel weights to anyone who would take them off their hands. Underground telephone cables were giving way to technology so lead coverings were very cheap from phone companies. I used straight lino or wheel weights or an unknown mixture and was happy. I even threw a few sticks of 50/50 in the pot whether it was needed or not. Of course things have changed considerably these days. I'm 83 with more parts replaced than my car so my shooting days are over. I have about 20 large coffee tins filled with cast bullets for my .38, .44 ,.45 & 45/70. Anywhere from 20 years old or so . I know their size but have forgotten the particular alloy. How do I get rid of them. I was thinking of melting them down into an unknown mystery alloy or selling the cast unknowns as lead, not bullets, and let the buyer figure it out. What to do? Any suggestions from out there would be appreciated.

Walter Laich
07-20-2022, 03:47 PM
I know we Cowboy shooters, SASS, don't need hard lead for our bullets

I had some unknown stuff awhile back, threw it in the pot and it made mighty fine bullets for my needs

Melting them down would reduce the volume over bullets so shipping might be a bit cheaper.

that being said, shipping costs will certainly figure into your pricing.

stubshaft
07-20-2022, 03:53 PM
I'd just sell the already cast bullets "as is". In the 50+ years of casting bullets I've found that with the proper lube and powder charge I can make most ANY alloy shoot in my guns.

Dusty Bannister
07-20-2022, 04:09 PM
I would not worry too much about the exact alloy, but I would probably have a sample bullet from each container tested for hardness. The purchaser will have a much better idea if that bullet will suit their needs. More knowledgeable shooters will be more concerned about the diameter of the cast bullets. No need to make more work than necessary.

dverna
07-20-2022, 04:39 PM
I'd just sell the already cast bullets "as is". In the 50+ years of casting bullets I've found that with the proper lube and powder charge I can make most ANY alloy shoot in my guns.

+1 Sell as is. Not worth the effort to smelt into ingots.

Soundguy
07-20-2022, 04:52 PM
Yup..like range scrap.

Winger Ed.
07-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Sell 'em as is by weight. Just say the history of what they are, and call them hard cast.

Whoever ends up with them will probably use them to mix into their own alloy.

fc60
07-20-2022, 07:06 PM
Greetings,

Canvas your shooting friends to locate a hardness tester.

Then, sell the bullets with the listed hardness.

Cheers,

Dave

375RUGER
07-20-2022, 07:27 PM
Some of my best boolits are made with what I call "mystery metal".

Martin Luber
07-20-2022, 07:55 PM
Get them to a fellow Saratoga county resident....me

nvbirdman
07-20-2022, 08:07 PM
If someone is buying rather than casting their own they're probably not sophisticated enough to care what the alloy is.

bishopgrandpa
07-20-2022, 10:28 PM
oops

imashooter2
07-21-2022, 01:16 PM
They shot for you, they’ll shoot for whoever buys them. Sell them as “cast boolits, xxx grains, .yyy diameter, unknown alloy. I cast these many years ago and shot them with no issues. I’m older now and selling out. $$$ shipped." Include a picture and sell with a clear conscience.

OFFSHORE
07-22-2022, 10:07 PM
Bishopgrandpa,
Let me know what you would like per pound and in a USPS Large Flat Rate Shipping Box and I may purchase a few boxes from you, along with others here on the forum. Just my $0.02 on this subject.

Bigslug
07-22-2022, 11:08 PM
Greetings,

Canvas your shooting friends to locate a hardness tester.

Then, sell the bullets with the listed hardness.

Cheers,

Dave

+1, if you can manage this. It's helpful to know and if you figure out where the straight up linotype lives, that'll be in-demand stuff.